PDA

View Full Version : Silly accents

Pike
07-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Do you have one? Can you do one? I just have plain ol' silly Standard American English and nothing else, which is quite the tragedy because then I have no way to counter-troll Huxley when he goes into full on Norn Iron mode and I can only understand 35% of what he says. (Or worse, when he goes into Estonian mode and then I understand 0% of it.)

Supposedly we Westerners have a light accent though. I've yet to figure out exactly what it entails, other than some people saying ridiculous things like "BAY-g" for bag.

Madame Adequate
07-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Savage Eye - Northern Accent - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVdi_-jvB0I)

Pike
07-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Whatever Rantz has goin' on with his Borat voice.

Okay, time for this to turn into a Vocaroo thread.

Jinx
07-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Whatever Rantz has goin' on with his Borat voice.

Okay, time for this to turn into a Vocaroo thread.

This is something I can get behind.

Quindiana Jones
07-26-2012, 02:11 AM
I have never heard Rantzien's voice. This needs to be remedied. I need it.

Tigmafuzz
07-26-2012, 02:19 AM
I randomly begin speaking in weird accents when I'm talking with Sarah and she says it's cute. I think it's annoying and dumb.

Jinx
07-26-2012, 02:23 AM
I randomly begin speaking in weird accents when I'm talking with Sarah and she says it's cute. I think it's annoying and dumb.

This reminds me of my ex-best friend and how we'd do accents. He always did an Irish accent, and I always did an English accent, and we'd go places and fuck with people. And then we'd have entire conversations in our fake accents and

fuck you, tigma :(

Jiro
07-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I can almost do an australian accent. I can convince most non-Brits that I'm english, mostly without trying. It's a happy accident from spending a lot of time with a couple englishmen here.

Jinx
07-26-2012, 02:34 AM
I can almost do an australian accent. I can convince most non-Brits that I'm english, mostly without trying. It's a happy accident from spending a lot of time with a couple englishmen here.

Truth. The first time I Skyped with you I told you you sounded more like an Englishman than an Aussie.

Tigmafuzz
07-26-2012, 02:34 AM

This reminds me of my ex-best friend and how we'd do accents. He always did an Irish accent, and I always did an English accent, and we'd go places and smurf with people. And then we'd have entire conversations in our fake accents and

smurf you, tigma :(

Me and Sarah do the same thing. BUT BETTER.

Alpha2099
07-26-2012, 04:16 AM
Living just north of Pittsburgh, I do have a Pittsburghese accent. If you wanna know how that sounds, check out this Youtube channel. It's dead-on accurate.

Pittsburgh Dad - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/pittsburghdad)

DMKA
07-26-2012, 04:22 AM
Oh man I love that episode of Dexter's Laboratory.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Apparently I have lots of accents and little voices that I do all the time. So I've been told by my girlfriend anyway. :shrug:

FOA has heard my "Team America Kim Jong Il" impression before. I think it melted her face.

Shlup
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
I can't even kind of do any accents other than my own natural one. I guess maybe some kind of Bible belt accent sometimes, but any other accent I might attempt would be completely unrecognizable. Well, my Loony BoB impression is okay.

NorthernChaosGod
07-26-2012, 11:53 PM
I think I'm pretty terrible at any accent besides a Mexican one. :|

Jinx
07-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Do you sound Mexican all the time?

Jessweeee♪
07-26-2012, 11:56 PM
I have this terrible mix of Texan and rural Mid-West that leads me to never ever pronounce consonants xD

Jiro
07-27-2012, 12:27 AM

NCG actually sounds like super intelligent. Something about the way he speaks just makes me think he's a super genius masquerading as a jock.

Jinx
07-27-2012, 12:29 AM

NCG actually sounds like super intelligent. Something about the way he speaks just makes me think he's a super genius masquerading as a jock.

Implying Mexicans can't be intelligent. ;)

Shorty
07-27-2012, 02:46 AM
I hate the BAYg ridiculousness.

I have a pretty standard american sound, with the exception of my lazy Utah slur (http://stuffutahnslike.blogspot.com/2008/03/utah-accent.html) (mow-en/mountain, pitcher/picture, mell/mail, car-mel/caramel, cran/crayon, etc).

Dan told me once that my british accent sounds like a brit trying to sound american. I guess that probably means it's terrible.

Iceglow
07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I have a relatively unusual accent for someone from London. Thanks to 7 years in speech therapy I have a relatively posh accent (ever more accenuated when I get called posh which invariably draws a "I am not posh!" comment from me which will be somehow the poshest thing ever) Even in my home suburbs I sound different and often get asked where I'm from. No one it seems can place me, they know it's British but they have trouble with the where from part. I've grown used to the "You're from Finchley? Seriously you don't sound like it at all!" comments I get from other Londoners. I'm also able to dumb down my accent to a more East London style, it helps at times because in some parts of London if I spoke like I normally would I could end up in a fight just because they thought I was posh.

I'm fairly good at mimicking people's accents if I'm around them enough. This means I can do an American accent, I can also throw a good southern drawl in to it if I have to. I've got my weakspots with that though but generally I can convince people I am an American if I want to.

I can also do an Irish accent, it's definitely a southern accent which is quite funny. I've convinced people Irish people of my Irish nationality before or at least of my Irish heritage. Normally if I'm convincing people of this I say I'm from Dublin, most people won't question it too deeply.

I recently went to Scotland and have found that since then I can do a passable Glaswegian accent. I say passable because there is a lot of work to do with it to make it convincing but it's still funny to hear me around Scottish people especially after a few when my accent naturally begins to match theirs and I begin using Scottish slang terms.

I'm also fairly acceptable at doing an Aussie accent, working with a fair few aussies, living with 2 aussies and being based on an area of SW London which may as well be "Little Australia" means I am exposed to this and the South African accents all the time. I'm definitely better at Australian than South African but I can do both on demand.

Shattered Dreamer
07-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I love doing accents! I do a really good Posh California accent & a good Scottish one too. As for my own accent I have what is described as a neutral accent. I don't really sound Irish at all. I've been told by quite a few American's that I sound like I'm from Conneticut of all places :lol:

Sephex
07-27-2012, 03:40 PM
I have been told I have a typical, midwestern US accent. Maybe a hint of the good old "CHICAGA" in there too.

Miss Lady Shelly
07-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Sometimes but not often when first meeting people they tend to think im from Jersey or New York, but i think its one of the many different Chicago accents out there.

krissy
07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
i always say boigehs instead of burgers

Pike
07-27-2012, 07:25 PM
i always say boigehs instead of burgers

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Skyline_06e72d_1284861.jpg

Old Manus
07-27-2012, 07:50 PM
I sound like a slightly lower-key Rhod Gilbert (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISGykO6Z7U). Yeah.

Quindiana Jones
07-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm a chameleon, man, a fucking chameleon. I go where I want; nobody knows I'm not native! I blend in, like. Iranian here, Scottish there, hey look a friendly old Jap! Gimme a bit of make-up, and I could be you!

Maybe I already am.

Jowy
07-27-2012, 10:32 PM
i hope nobody here ever has to talk to a yinzer, it's pretty unpleasant.

NorthernChaosGod
07-28-2012, 12:16 AM
I do not. I think I sound like a white boy from California, but not a surfer.

Dak, I love you. :aimkiss:

ReloadPsi
07-28-2012, 03:07 AM
I can impoisonate a Nu Yoiker fairly well but it starts to trail off if I keep it up for too long, I can do this bitchin' Californian surfer dude voice that annoys the hell out of everybody except when I use it at the right time and then it's hilarious, and I can really ramp up me nat'ral Bri'ish northern-ness to t' point that I mek south'ners cringe. The Brummie accent (and black country in general) is a work in progress? (Note the questioning inflection. Brummies use it, those from the "black country" do not. They get very offended if you mistake them for Brummies.)

My natural accent was described by my friends as "the American stereotype of a British person" but then they were all northern too, and when I went to uni everyone just thought I sounded as common as the rest of my fellow northerners. Regardless I DID get cast to play the devil in a student's radio play because my voice sounded sinister/cynical enough :3

Also with certain fictional characters I will be able to quote lines of theirs with pretty much the exact right vowel sounds and inflection, but ask me to say anything that character never said and it falls apart entirely.

When I get angry or surprised I go fully Liverpool. Oddly enough I am completely incapable of imitating the accent deliberately despite being originally from there.

The Sewth Efrican, Landan and Austrylian accents turn into a horrible mish-mash of each other if I attempt any of them, and are pretty much on my forbidden list, because as much as I love the Sewth Efrican accent, the other two are a serious threat to my tolerance.

Clo
07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
I really hate thick Southern accents. If anyone has one on this forum, then never talk to me.

Alpha2099
08-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Hey now, I'm a yinzer. Although, having spent the past 5 years at a college in Northwest Ohio, I'm developing a Midwest accent. For example, I now say "hackey" instead of "hockey".

Tigmafuzz
08-01-2012, 04:21 AM
I really hate thick Southern accents. If anyone has one on this forum, then never talk to me.

...:(

Alpha2099
08-01-2012, 05:17 AM
It's a forum. How would you know?

Shiny
08-01-2012, 05:33 AM
I can sound like Consuela the maid from Family Guy. I can also do stereotypical Asian nail salon lady accent. "BEAUTIFUL NAIL". That sort. I also often confuse people by switching into a southern accent. Sometimes it just slips out. No idea why, as I'm not from the south.

Fact: All black people can turn on their default "I'm talking to a white person on the phone who probably won't give me service unless I fake this white sounding accent" accent. I also use that a few times. Mostly I just sound like a nasally 12 year old from the EASTSIDE. Can also do Amazon woman/husky accent which comes out when I'm being serious or tired (or seducing someone).

Wolf Kanno
08-01-2012, 07:34 AM
I used to be able to do several accents, though I'm out of practice so they all sound incredibly fake now. I'm better with impressions actually as I do a pretty mean Arnold Schwarzenegger and Kermit the Frog impression. My real bad habit comes when I sing foreign songs as I will add in the accent cause I basically imitate the singer.

Cuchulainn
08-01-2012, 11:20 AM
I can do the following accents perfectly;

1. West Belfast.

Bubba
08-01-2012, 01:26 PM
I'm terrible at accents. I've been told I can't even do my own very well...

I can do Animal pretty well from The Muppets though.

Tigmafuzz
08-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm terrible at accents. I've been told I can't even do my own very well...

I can do Animal pretty well from The Muppets though.

That reminds me ( for some odd reason) I used to be able to an awesome Bobcat Goldthwait. But then I hit puberty :(

Pike
08-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Supposedly I can do a pretty good Yoda impression. Also several different Pokemon.

Tigmafuzz
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Can also do Amazon woman/husky accent which comes out when I'm being serious or tired (or seducing someone).

Yeah, Amazons are totally hot.

Citizen Bleys
08-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Oddly, since I started consciously trying to stop pronouncing my "t"s as "d"s like a goddamn American, I come out sounding like a Welshman except for the part where I'm not buggering a sheep.

Araciel
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Everyone has an accent but me.

Zeldy
08-03-2012, 12:42 AM
I've started hearing myself sounding more and more scouse, it's terrifying.

Bubba
08-03-2012, 12:54 AM
I've started hearing myself sounding more and more scouse, it's terrifying.

Good God, woman. You need to sort that shit out.

Zeldy
08-03-2012, 12:59 AM
My accents all over the place, I fall into heavy st helens/woolyback and also scouse!

Bubba
08-03-2012, 01:12 AM
As long as you're not bringing up a wad of phlegm when you say your 'k's... You'll be fine. ;)

Sylvie
08-03-2012, 01:36 AM
I can do a pretty good British accent, Icelandic (when I get into the proper groove or whatever), eastern European/Slavic in a very offensively stereotypical way, Mexican, probably some others.

Jinx
08-03-2012, 02:44 PM
I can do a pretty good British accent, Icelandic (when I get into the proper groove or whatever), eastern European/Slavic in a very offensively stereotypical way, Mexican, probably some others.

The best.
Artist Interview - Björk T.V. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-am5bud_Y)

Tigmafuzz
08-03-2012, 08:15 PM

The best.
Artist Interview - Björk T.V. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-am5bud_Y)

→ http://www.negrophonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/bjorkdiddy.gif

Cuchulainn
08-03-2012, 10:59 PM
I can't even do a decent regional Irish accent. I mean, I'm seriously shit at anything that isn't the typical 'Mid-Ulster English'. Most people assume all Irish speak your typical Hiberno-English. The broad dumb-sounding Dubliner accent so when they hear Belfast they're wondering in which language does this caveman converse. Mid-Ulster is fast, full of slang and literally impossble to understand. THey worst Irish accent is the Ulster Scots of the north coast. They'd be like the southern US people. Dumb religious nutjob farmers. Then there's the South-Ulster accent who literally sound like they're talking backwards.

No idea why I posted that drivel. Bored shitless.

Pike
08-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Mid-Ulster is fast, full of slang and literally impossble to understand. THey worst Irish accent is the Ulster Scots of the north coast. They'd be like the southern US people. Dumb religious nutjob farmers. Then there's the South-Ulster accent who literally sound like they're talking backwards.

Huxley's is whichever one of those is the most unintelligible.

Madame Adequate
08-03-2012, 11:38 PM
I hope I didn't just get accused of being from Portstewart :colbert:

My accent's Belfast.

fire_of_avalon
08-04-2012, 12:32 AM
I have been told I have a typical, midwestern US accent. Maybe a hint of the good old "CHICAGA" in there too.
You definitely sound like what I think of when I think Chicago.

Mine isn't thick, but smurf you!

Sephex
08-04-2012, 01:23 AM
You definitely sound like what I think of when I think Chicago.

Mine isn't thick, but smurf you!

I actually heard a recording of you before (not referring to karaoke), but I can't remember where. Anyway, you sounded MUCH more southern in that recording than you did when we talked live about a month ago. While I was on one of my many sleeping pill adventures, it doesn't distort how I hear ACTUAL sounds (I'll just hear noise or music that isn't really there for a couple of seconds), so I know it wasn't that.

Anyway, either way you did sound "SAOUTH" to me! :)

Jowy
08-04-2012, 05:03 AM
Hey now, I'm a yinzer. Although, having spent the past 5 years at a college in Northwest Ohio, I'm developing a Midwest accent. For example, I now say "hackey" instead of "hockey".

if anything just that initial learning curve of figuring out what a gumband or buggy is. 8-)

i adore hearing people say "stillers" "primmanis" "mun-ROH-ville" "roh-die road" etc. when i first moved here nobody understood me when I said "mon-row-ville". dahn-tahn.

also, I love talking to people with southern accents. i talk to a fellow named rusty from mississippi at least three times a day at work and he's a riot.

Shauna
08-04-2012, 08:53 PM
My accent is dumb enough as it is, I don't need to try and put on other accents to sound the fool. :(