PDA

View Full Version : mostly useless spells

Jowy
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
Really, when's the last time we wasted a turn using "Silence" or "Poison."?

Osmose in FFIV is useless. Drain isn't ever worth the mana either.

Jinx
07-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Lol. This was just covered in the Census.

Death.

Jessweeee♪
07-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Status ailments are only useful in FFVIII. And even then they don't work if you cast them.

ShinGundam
07-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Quake and earth element in every FF and any game (except Reishiki/onimusha).

Sylvie
07-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Fucking Mini

Jowy
07-26-2012, 10:17 PM
i don't read stickies since there's too much :skull::skull::skull::skull:posting

Del Murder
07-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Osmose in FFIV is useless. Drain isn't ever worth the mana either.
Did you mean FFVI? I found Osmose ('Psych') to be a useful way for Rydia to gain back MP in order to continuously cast her most powerful attacks. Most enemies in FFIV have MP and you can generally get the cost of Leviathan back in 1-2 rounds. 1-2 Osmoses +Levia is much better than three of her weak normal attacks.

Quake and earth element in every FF and any game (except Reishiki/onimusha).
Quake was a cheap attack all spell in FFIV that I used on occasion.

Mini was useful in one FF game. You had to use it to proceed. :)

I have never used Pig once in FFIV other than to mess around. Why did Pig status even exist? Toad was slightly more useful since there were those witches in the Sylph cave that would always Toad you.

Rasp is probably the most useless spell ever, though. I'm not even sure what it actually did.

sabin101
07-27-2012, 01:31 AM
I will have to go for Merton from final fantasy six. Why would I want to cast a spell that can kill me and the enemy I am fighting? I never understood why they came up with a spell like that.

Jiro
07-27-2012, 04:44 AM
Rasp is probably the most useless spell ever, though. I'm not even sure what it actually did.

Rasp damages an enemy's MP pool harder than Osmose would but with the downside of you not receiving the drained points. This is useful because there are some bosses who perish without MP.

Jowy
07-27-2012, 04:45 AM
four fire shields and you negate all the damage...it is too much work tho'

and no! what are you Osmosing that it gives back more than one MP? It always topped me off in FFVI.

The Man
07-27-2012, 04:52 AM
Osmose in FFVI is incredibly useful; it pretty much makes ethers and tents unnecessary. I don't think there's a single point in the game after you learn the spell where you can't recover enough MP from monsters using it to make other methods of recovering MP vastly more expensive than they're worth. I never tried it in FFIV mostly because I didn't know what it did when I played the game. (I was a fucking n00b ok).

I'd say Death is pretty useless because most of the monsters you would want to use it on are immune. Except in FFVI where you can use the Vanish trick, but most of the bosses in that game are so smurfing easy that really, what's the point.

Del Murder
07-27-2012, 08:30 AM
four fire shields and you negate all the damage...it is too much work tho'

and no! what are you Osmosing that it gives back more than one MP? It always topped me off in FFVI.
Anything humanoid will generally give you more than one MP.

NeoCracker
07-28-2012, 08:52 PM
In FF IV Slow was fucking awesome.

Poison is pretty much useless in ever game, except for making XIII's boss fight ridiculously easier.

Metron (Or whatever the hit all spell in VI was, that you learn from Crusader) was pretty shit considering you had Ultima probably before getting Crusader.

Sephex
07-29-2012, 05:30 PM
I always found it entertaining that spells like the ones mentioned in this thread rarely never worked, but the X-Zone/Vanish trick was considered a glitch.

Because I considered it making up for all the times the other games gave us useless spells.

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 05:31 PM
I'm really all about poisoning. It had it's uses in FFVII. Bio3 could be pretty devastating.

Jowy
07-30-2012, 03:10 AM
I used Bio and Virus a lot because I liked the sound effects.

WildRaubtier
07-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Full Cure in ff7 was dumb when you could just W-Item up a few Megalixers.

Anything learnt by Knights/Ninjas that isn't Cure in FF. It just counts OK.

Everything not Cure/Aura in 8 OH MY GOD MY PRECIOUS STATS AND ALSO OBSOLETE HOARDED DEAD WEIGHT magic you know what just forget about 8

Alpha2099
07-30-2012, 04:41 PM
How about Demi or anything Gravity-based in FFVII? Pretty much all bosses are immune to Gravity, and in random encounters you don't really need to use big spells anyhow, making that whole element pretty much useless.

Mercen-X
07-31-2012, 02:55 AM
Full Cure in ff7 was dumb when you could just W-Item up a few Megalixers.
Consider that FullCure is obtained sans long boring trip down dark tunnel full of monsters that silk you till you stop wherein White Wind is only useful in preventing the actual stop because the slow and other stats are immediately inflicted again... it's just damned tedious. Also, Megalixers..? I personally don't prefer to rely on a non-canon glitch.

How about Demi or anything Gravity-based in FFVII? Pretty much all bosses are immune to Gravity, and in random encounters you don't really need to use big spells anyhow, making that whole element pretty much useless.
There's an enemy in there someone that Gravity causes instant death on. Like Poison against 8-Eyes. I only found it recently. It was simul-neat-stupid.