PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan

DarkBahamut
07-28-2012, 03:55 AM
Who else is fasting alongside me :D

I've always wondered about this forum's Muslim community, so come out and let's "general" chat!

Tigmafuzz
07-28-2012, 04:06 AM
You're Muslim? Well I learned something today.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 04:32 AM
How could you not tell? Even his avatar has a towel on his head.

Shorty
07-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Whoa now.

There are quite a few people at my work participating in Ramadan! Unfortunately, I have nothing of value to contribute to this thread, but I just wanted to share that.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 04:42 AM
Who else is fasting alongside me :D

I've always wondered about this forum's Muslim community, so come out and let's "general" chat!

Don't take my first comment wrong, I'm not one of those Christians who thinks all muslims are evil or something.
Honestly I like the idea of the seven pillars.

I Took the Red Pill
07-28-2012, 05:31 AM
Kul 'am wa enta bi-khair! I'm not Muslim, but enjoy your holiday! :leo:

Sephex
07-28-2012, 07:15 AM
I do not fast. I "slow" because time feels that way when I don't eat.

Jiro
07-28-2012, 07:28 AM
I feel like I'm always fasting. Tell me more about Ramadan from someone who is actually involved and is not wikipedia.

Trumpet Thief
07-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Very cool. :)

I have a few friends who are fasting, and I admire their resolve. Must be very hard to do in the summer!

I do want to try it out sometime after my exams, hopefully before the end of Ramadan. Hopefully I can pull it off. :)

leewayne
07-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Sounds very cool:)

krissy
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I feel like I'm always fasting. Tell me more about Ramadan from someone who is actually involved and is not wikipedia.

you don't eat during the day and then you have a big meal after sunset; this lasts for about a month
also there's like prayers during that time?
anyway the neat thing is everyone's really hungry after sunset so it brings people together over big mini-feasts each night

Madame Adequate
07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Honestly I like the idea of the seven pillars.

P. sure that's more Nosgoth than Islam. Islam has five. Mind, Nosgoth has nine, so I guess you're halfway between the two there.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Where the heck did I get 7?

I need to brush up on my Islam. Be right back.

Edit: I was getting the 5 pillars mixed up with the seven pillars Northwest ISD pushed on us for 8 years.

Fynn
07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Good luck! My fasting amounts to not eating meat or partying on Fridays and nearing only one meal (no meat!) on Great Friday. And I am really impressed by your resolve. Go and uphold your beautiful tradition ;)

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Good luck! My fasting amounts to not eating meat or partying on Fridays and nearing only one meal (no meat!) on Great Friday. And I am really impressed by your resolve. Go and uphold your beautiful tradition ;)

Correction, the two people whose avatars have towels on their heads.

Jinx
07-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Fynn is Catholic.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Fynn is Catholic.

What, so just because he's catholic means he can't be Islamic? You racist, speaking Italian and living in pizza land does not mean someone can't choose their own religion.

Old Manus
07-28-2012, 08:37 PM
I go without showering every so often to show my devotion to Chalchiuhtlatonal.

Fynn
07-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Correction, the two people whose avatars have towels on their heads.

No, the turban shows I'm a White Mage, God :mad2:

krissy
07-28-2012, 09:30 PM
i know it's all fun but

http://images.wikia.com/familyguy/images/3/34/Jamesbottomtooth3.png

turbans are actually mostly a sikh thing, most muslims don't really wear turbans

Sylvie
07-28-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm friend with these brothers Ali and Ibriham. I met them at Corner Cafe; they were both cooks. Last year I remember they were both fasting (and couldn't drink water or anything either) and it was like 130F in the kitchens, and we were all worried about them.

Yeah.
You should have dosed them with MDMA. See how they feel then.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 10:09 PM
i know it's all fun but

http://images.wikia.com/familyguy/images/3/34/Jamesbottomtooth3.png

turbans are actually mostly a sikh thing, most muslims don't really wear turbans

Why do you think I never mentioned turbans?

krissy
07-28-2012, 10:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uU87N.jpg
next time hc
next time

Old Manus
07-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Apart from, y'know, when the two members' avatars which he referenced had turbans on their heads.

Hollycat
07-28-2012, 11:37 PM
Apart from, y'know, when the two members' avatars which he referenced had turbans on their heads.
'U specifically said towels

Sylvie
07-28-2012, 11:39 PM
Which is slang for "turban". And you were referencing their headwear, which are turbans.

Hollycat
07-29-2012, 12:59 AM
Which is slang for "turban". And you were referencing their headwear, which are turbans.

I was, but I was very specific. People call muslims towel heads. Turbans are made of cloth and look like towels, but when I think turban I think Indian/

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 01:02 AM
You still lose. Krissy has you in a corner. Sadly, he is too much of a pushover and he was swayed too easily by your empty suggestion.

Hollycat
07-29-2012, 01:06 AM
You still lose. Krissy has you in a corner. Sadly, he is too much of a pushover and he was swayed too easily by your empty suggestion.

Says the airheaded post.

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 01:07 AM
that leaves me quite flaccid

escobert
07-29-2012, 01:09 AM
I weigh like 145 lbs at 6'2. I can't afford to fast.

DarkBahamut
07-29-2012, 01:16 AM
i know it's all fun but

THANK YOU! And Hypo, I take no offense! I make fun of myself all the time, and other ethnicities, religions, etc. of course! What person doesn't?!

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 01:20 AM
i know it's all fun but

THANK YOU! And Hypo, I take no offense! I make fun of myself all the time, and other ethnicities, religions, etc. of course! What person doesn't?!

I wish you would have said something like, "You disgusting bigot, I am putting you on ignore" so that it could have been a really big deal.

Hollycat
07-29-2012, 01:23 AM
i know it's all fun but

I only said no offense in case you were one of those typical angry terrorist muslims.

You're a sport, here's some cake :cake:

Tigmafuzz
07-29-2012, 01:32 AM
in case you were one of those typical angry terrorist muslims

watch?v=6xsDdIByh8A

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 01:34 AM
i know it's all fun but

I only said no offense in case you were one of those typical angry terrorist muslims.

So you justified racism by slapping an insurance plan on it? Good work.

escobert
07-29-2012, 01:35 AM
does every thread have to turn into a bitchfest like FG? :(

Trumpet Thief
07-29-2012, 02:48 AM
i know it's all fun but

Go fuck yourself.

Hollycat
07-29-2012, 02:53 AM
i know it's all fun but

Go smurf yourself.

That was uncalled for.

Trumpet Thief
07-29-2012, 02:56 AM
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully I read your post in the worst possible way. If so, my apologies.

Sylvie
07-29-2012, 03:01 AM
No, you really shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. The way you read it is the way he said it.

Jiro
07-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Way to ruin a perfectly good thread guys. Take your garbage argument to Mognets so we can chat about the actual topic. I like the sound of mini-feasts every night, and it definitely would be a good way to meet up with people. Is it like, inappropriate for a non-muslim to partake in the tradition 'cause it sounds like a good way to just have parties with lots of food.

Trumpet Thief
07-29-2012, 04:18 AM
Way to ruin a perfectly good thread guys. Take your garbage argument to Mognets so we can chat about the actual topic. I like the sound of mini-feasts every night, and it definitely would be a good way to meet up with people. Is it like, inappropriate for a non-muslim to partake in the tradition 'cause it sounds like a good way to just have parties with lots of food.

I'm not a Muslim, but my friend invited me to take part in the feast at his mosque, after tons of urging. It was really fun and very festive. It really shouldn't matter but I went there with about two other white guys and we were all received very kindly. There was no weird reception or anything like that.

There might be some variation from place to place, but speaking from personal experience, I don't believe that it is inappropriate to partake in it.

Hollycat
07-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Whoa whoa whoa.

Mini feasts?
That sounds awesome.
I hardly eat during the day anyways, perhaps I should look this up.

NorthernChaosGod
07-29-2012, 08:48 PM
I fast everyday for 16 hours, purely for dietary reasons though.

escobert
07-30-2012, 02:28 AM
I eat when I'm hungry and sometimes when I'm bored and I don't eat when I'm not hungry or too lazy to get food? That sounds like normalness to me!

Shlup
07-30-2012, 06:01 AM
All I've had today is a nectarine, a giant pickle, and a martini. Does that count as fasting?

DarkBahamut
07-30-2012, 08:06 AM
All I've had today is a nectarine, a giant pickle, and a martini. Does that count as fasting?

Well under Muslim terms, the martini broke your fast, or this fast wouldn't count. Mainly because we're not supposed to intake alcohol in the first place.

Shlup
07-30-2012, 08:46 AM
But the nectarine and the pickle are fine? I don't understand the will of your god at all.

Old Manus
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Stop oppressing him, Shlup!

DarkBahamut
07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
But the nectarine and the pickle are fine? I don't understand the will of your god at all.

My God and your God are the same. We just have different interpretations of his messengers.

But on note pleasurable for my peers, I have to endure my thirst/hunger for 4 and a half hours of Football training

Sylvie
07-30-2012, 09:42 PM
How do you know she has the same God?

DarkBahamut
07-30-2012, 09:46 PM
How do you know she has the same God?

Belief, faith. I believe that there is one God, so in my eyes, my God is still everyone else's God. The people who don't believe in God just....don't believe that there is a God.

Sylvie
07-30-2012, 09:47 PM
What if someone specifically tells you that they don't believe in your God, and you have no rational way of explaining that it really is the same God?

Shorty
07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
This is a nice thread about culture. Doesn't have to get all eoeo up in here :(

When I was growing up marman we fasted once a month and it was terrible. Fasting for children is not a good idea.

Jiro
07-31-2012, 01:40 AM
But on note pleasurable for my peers, I have to endure my thirst/hunger for 4 and a half hours of Football training

Man I know how hard football training is and I know what it's like to train when hungry but that's going to be super intense and I hope you're not dead after it :( :(

Sylvie
07-31-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm sorry, but I think that depriving yourself of water for four hours while participating in fairly intense physical exercise is one of those "common sense" bad ideas. I'm sure you do it all the time or whatever, but when you used to hear about kids dying on XTC in the 90's on the late-nite news, it was because they were engaging in intense physical activity without bothering to hydrate themselves because the X was just keeping them distracted.

I sure hope that the circumstance doesn't have to arrive where an ambulance needs to come making a big scene on a football field, taking somebody away because they refused to drink water to prevent themselves from potential brain damage. That is actually very comical.

But for my own existential purposes I have to provide a generally optimistic pledge of assurance concerning the various turns your life (or lack thereof) could levitate or plummet/swerve/crash right at any minute, so like make sure you take care of yourself. But imagine that.

DMKA
07-31-2012, 02:44 AM
I've never met anyone who takes part in Ramadan, not even the Muslims I know do. I always thought it was closer to the end of the year. Huh.

I'm a glutton who eats at will, so I doubt I'd enjoy a religious ritual that made me fast repeatedly.

Shlup
07-31-2012, 05:19 AM
Stop oppressing him, Shlup!
It was you I was trying to oppress, but you wouldn't hold still long enough so now there's collateral damage.

My God and your God are the same.
I'm afraid that's unpossible.

DarkBahamut
07-31-2012, 08:23 AM
During fasting, it's supposed to be a relaxing time. It's my choice to partake in football practice. And I'm a little used to the woozy feeling now.

But I forgot the exact reasons listed in the Qu'ran, but the reason we fast is to know our limits and necessities. To know what is actually needed to live and we respect those who can't afford to get those necessities.

Cuchulainn
07-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Islam's rules require too much obedience for my liking. I like the idea of the CoE, they're so scared of their dwindling numbers they let you do what da fuck you like as long as you show up on a sunday.

If I ever regressed into thinking an omnipotent non-interventionist magician created everything I'd go there. An hour every month or so on a sunday for salvation? I'll have some of that.

DarkBahamut
07-31-2012, 08:42 PM
I normally don't like saying my religion or beliefs are better and stuff but..

The Qu'ran shows more respect for Moses and Jesus (even Mary) and goes into more depth. One of my [muslim] friend's dads is about to release a book about the comparison between Islam vs. Christianity and Islam vs. Judaism and he's reviewed the Testaments and Qu'ran and Torah, etc. etc. and many scholars have said that Islam is the religion that goes into most depth in describing it's beliefs and what you need to do to be a good muslim. This could be because Islam was revealed last by God.

And at the end of the day, we still give respect to those who don't believe what we do, probably because it's actually forbidden for us to force someone to our religion. We can only show what Islam "offers."

ANYWAYS, I got everything off my chest. Let's try ta' transfer this to a less serious topic :)

DMKA
08-01-2012, 04:26 AM
And at the end of the day, we still give respect to those who don't believe what we do, probably because it's actually forbidden for us to force someone to our religion. We can only show what Islam "offers."

Now if someone could just clue in all those jihadists.

Tigmafuzz
08-01-2012, 05:10 AM

If only everyone felt that way.

Now if someone could just clue in all those jihadists.

canofwormscanofwormscanofwormscanofwormscanofwormscanofworms

Criminally Vulgar
08-03-2012, 10:03 AM
stop being horrid. :(

DarkBahamut
08-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Guess I couldn't find any Muslims :( Please if any of you guys know any on this forum, then try getting em' to post.