PDA

View Full Version : [LR] FFXIII's Lightning-Based Game to be Announced in September

krissy
08-01-2012, 03:12 PM
FFXIII's Lightning-Based Game to be Announced in September | Side Mission | GameTrailers (http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/23903/ffxiiis-lightning-based-game-to-be-announced-in-september?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

UGGGHHHHHH YEEESSSSSSS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM YESSSSS

Del Murder
08-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I can't view the article from here, but my initial thought is 'not more of this'.

Though Lightning is 1000 times more interesting than Serah.

krissy
08-01-2012, 06:40 PM
I can't view the article from here,

The latest bit of newsworthiness from this week's publication involves Final Fantasy XIII's Lightning-centric content. FFXIII and XIII-2 producer Yoshinori Kitase said Square Enix will make an announcement about the next piece of its "Lightning Saga" at the Final Fantasy series anniversary event, which is scheduled for September 1 in Tokyo.
Mr. Kitase added that the Lightning project has just started and that Squenix will announce the game's official title at the event.

Pete for President
08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
my initial thought is 'not more of this'.

Exactly.

Del Murder
08-01-2012, 07:17 PM
It doesn't sound like it will be a full console game, which is a good thing. Hopefully it will just be a cell phone or handheld game or more FFXIII-2 DLC, as I do not wan't SE's resources tied up in more grand FFXIII projects.

My biggest concern is that this will be a full console FFXIII-3 game that will continue to build on the crappy and played-out FFXIII battle system.

Karifean
08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
I never thought FF XIII was all that good, but FF XIII-2 is in my opinion certainly a great game. If the next entry in the saga will be building off of XIII-2 and be even better, I'd definitely get it.
Although they'd have to innovate the battle system with something new. XIII-2 had the monster party members, so what is XIII-3 (or however it'll be called) gonna have? Maybe you can finally control all of your party members or have two of your friends control the other party members.

DMKA
08-02-2012, 12:15 AM
I loved FFXIII and FFXIII-2, and I love Lightning, so I can't wait.

I hope it's FFXIII-3.

SuperMillionaire
08-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I'd like to think that it's XIII-3, since the last words at the ending were "to be continued..." (I'm not revealing exactly WHAT the ending was, though, so no true story spoilers there.)

And I hope that Lightning gets an Aya Brea cosplay outfit like she did in Dissidia 012. Of course, I also think Serah would have looked cute in an Aya cosplay outfit, except without the rips in the jeans.

Del Murder
08-03-2012, 01:08 AM
I also think her outfit is the thing we should be discussing at this stage.

Jiro
08-07-2012, 05:25 AM
I hope it's FFXIII-3.

Some people seem to think you're right. (http://www.neoseeker.com/news/20136-square-enix-says-new-final-fantasy-13-game-has-just-entered-production/)

Mercen-X
08-13-2012, 04:52 PM
By the way, about Versus, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the reason's it's taking so long is that the crew is considering renaming it a la Agito to Type-0. At this point, I'd prefer that anyway. It was interesting sounding in the beginning, but it has no relation to the original XIII so why call it XIII?

Hollycat
08-13-2012, 04:58 PM
I'd like to think that it's XIII-3, since the last words at the ending were "to be continued..." (I'm not revealing exactly WHAT the ending was, though, so no true story spoilers there.)

And I hope that Lightning gets an Aya Brea cosplay outfit like she did in Dissidia 012. Of course, I also think Serah would have looked cute in an Aya cosplay outfit, except without the rips in the jeans.
marry me

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:19 AM
A Storm Gathers (http://www.finalfantasy13game.com/astormgathers/index.html)

teaser site

Jiro
08-23-2012, 07:29 AM
I don't know how I feel about this. A sequel sequel seems like it really shouldn't happen in the Final Fantasy series. Maybe I'll have different thoughts once I finish FFXIII-2.

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Looking at that teaser site, it sure looks like this will be a full FFXIII-3. Lame.

And also, apparently the original FFXIII was just the first part of the "Lightning saga." Now Square even goes into new FF games with a plan to milk it.

krissy
08-23-2012, 09:15 PM
do you guys think i can finish xiii-2 before the september 1st announcement if i start today?

Del Murder
08-24-2012, 01:21 AM
Yes. The story portion of the game is quite short, maybe 15-20 hours. A lot of the game is exploring the time periods and doing quests for fragments. It is not necessary to do all those things to complete the main story (though you may have trouble with some of the later battles if you aren't leveled up and have crappy monsters).

Roogle
08-24-2012, 03:04 AM
Unfortunately, I am not interested enough in the setting or characters presented in the original game to follow the series in its entirety right now. This is something that I wouldn't mind playing far into the future when I can, at the very least, edit the game and play around with it a little bit.

Jiro
08-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Looking at that teaser site, it sure looks like this will be a full FFXIII-3. Lame.

And also, apparently the original FFXIII was just the first part of the "Lightning saga." Now Square even goes into new FF games with a plan to milk it.
That's kind of terrifying to think about. I mean you had this overarching grouping (Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy) which contained multiple games (XIII, Versus, Type-0) and then within XIII (and potentially the others) you have sequels or story arcs, which could in all likelihood end up with a 5+ game mini universe inside of the preestablished loosely related Final Fantasy universe itself. Christ.

Raistlin
08-28-2012, 05:58 PM
The worst part is that Squeenix is likely to pull this crap for every major FF installment from now on. We'll be waiting 8 years between major games because they have 10 sequels and spinoffs to make.

krissy
08-28-2012, 07:54 PM
you guys know what i think the issue is

it takes too long to make a game nowadays

back in the day there was no body-scripted video and lip-synched vid for every single conversation

not everything had a voice attached to it

but now they gotta record all that for every single npc

i'd give it up for a text based thing as long as the story was more cohesive and stuff

radiant historia is amazing and no one talks in it. and there's only a few animations per character. it's not that hard, but the ff's have become a grand spectacle now, so a lot of the emotional subtlety disappears.

Del Murder
08-28-2012, 08:32 PM
I agree with Reno. The issue is that this spectacle is what racks in the big bucks. Gamers make their voice heard through their wallets. FFXIII sold millions of copies so that didn't really send the message we wanted to SE.

In an interview a while back, Wada or some SE exec said that they would like to do Final Fantasy more like Assassin's Creed or Call of Duty. Each installment coming annually and being modifications of the previous one rather than a complete overhaul. This is contrary to how they produced games in the past, all of which were pretty unique from game to game. It seems likely that FFXIII-3 will be something like this rather than a new concept.

Jiro
08-29-2012, 04:01 AM
They say they want to model it like CoD except it still takes them a fucking age to release anything anyway. Perhaps we should start purchasing their handheld games and remakes and such to show what we're really after.