PDA

View Full Version : Fidgeting

Pike
08-02-2012, 02:00 AM
I am a chronic fidgeter. (Is that a word? Firefox says no but my heart says yes.) I'm always twirling pens around or bouncing my leg up and down or scrolling my mouse wheel for no good reason or what-have-you.

Who else fidgets like I do?

Jinx
08-02-2012, 02:01 AM
I DO

A teacher once called me out in high school, because above my desk I'd be completely calm writing/reading/etc, but beneath my desk, I'd be bouncing my legs so fast.

Sephex
08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
I kind of fidget these days. Nothing too bad, I think.

It was a bit of a problem when I was younger, as I let my imagination run wild. I also got yelled at by teachers and classmates for humming video game songs too. My body OR mind wouldn't sit still!

Agent Proto
08-02-2012, 02:17 AM
No, I'm pretty calm so I don't fidget very much. I only fidget when I start getting impatient.

Bunny
08-02-2012, 02:23 AM
I vibrate.

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2012, 02:31 AM
I vibrate.

Your girlfriend must love that.

Tigmafuzz
08-02-2012, 02:52 AM
I used to fidget for a while with one of my foster families, but that's just because of the constant fear of abuse while I was there. It went away shortly after I got away from there. I haven't fidgeted since.

Faris
08-02-2012, 02:59 AM
I can't sit still for too long and I'll shift and sit in weird positions. Also I must always have something to focus on or have in my hands.

Bunny
08-02-2012, 03:01 AM
I vibrate.

So does yours.

escobert
08-02-2012, 03:09 AM
I'm always fidgeting

The Man
08-02-2012, 03:38 AM
I fidget all the time. There are apparently studies suggesting that fidgeting makes it harder to become overweight so it's not a habit I'm in any particular hurry to break.

Nicolas
08-02-2012, 03:44 AM
Does pacing count as fidgeting? Either way, it's hard not to fidget when sitting around for hours at a time.

Shorty
08-02-2012, 04:40 AM
I fidget a lot, for no particular reason.

I especially fidget when trying to go to sleep.

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
I vibrate.

So does yours.

Jokes on you; I don't have one.

:(

Alpha2099
08-02-2012, 06:39 AM
I fidget and I pace. Strange how I have the energy to do that, but when my dad tells me to go out and mow the lawn, I never feel like doing it.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-02-2012, 07:03 AM
When i have my legs or feet dangling off a chair or a side of the bed it happens.

Bunny
08-02-2012, 07:32 AM
I vibrate.

So does yours.

Your sadness makes me vibrate harder.

Shlup
08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
If you asked my husband to list five adjectives describing me, I'm sure one would be "fidgety."

G13
08-02-2012, 08:17 AM
I fidget, I suppose. I'm always moving, tapping my foot or drumming with my fingers, and while I'm walking my are either drumming on my legs or clenching and unclenching to a beat. I've always just kind of chalked it up to ADHD. *shrug*

Agent Proto
08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
*sigh* I guess I'm the only less fidgety one here. :(

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm a pretty fidgety person. I honestly feel I could score higher on exams if my professors would allow me to get up from my chair and pace around while think about the answers. I'm constantly moving some part of my body when I try to stay still. I'm really bad with my pacing and I've done that since I was a child.

Pike
08-02-2012, 10:24 AM
My last job required me to stand in one spot for the duration of the entire shift and it was awful so I ended up just pacing, nonstop. The managers would watch me on cameras and call me and tell me I was making them dizzy.

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I did the same thing when I worked in retail. I would get so bored in the early morning shifts that I started to do Tae Kwon Do forms by the registers until security would call me up and ask what the hell I was doing.

At another job, I would pace so much that one of my co-workers commented that I looked like a caged animal and asked me to stop cause it was freaking him out.

blackmage_nuke
08-02-2012, 12:10 PM
I bounce my leg up and down and my friends hate it. I also enjoy walking about but i can force myself to stand still if I have to

Bubba
08-02-2012, 12:29 PM
*sigh* I guess I'm the only less fidgety one here. :(

Not true, Proto! I'm the same as you.

I only fidget when I'm uncomfortable or I'm in a situation where I need to be somewhere else immediately... Such as the work monthly briefing or when my female co-workers start talking about Glee, Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM
In high school, above my desk, I'd be completely calm writing/reading/etc, but beneath my desk, I'd be bouncing my legs so fast.

This is also accurate for me. I also air drum a little.

Clo
08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I vibrate.

So does yours.

Your sadness makes me vibrate harder.

This is a lovely exchange.

Everyone fidgets nowadays, because we all jack ourselves up on coffee and meds and then sit in a chair for 8 hours. It's called THE MODERN WORLD.

CimminyCricket
08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I fidget so badly the local government requires that I wear a lid covered cup strapped to my back so if at any time someone prefers their hot chocolate or chocolate milk shaken not stirred they can have it their way.

Araciel
08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Not I.

Every girl I've 'known' has been a fidget head...I wonder if it's something to do with me or them.

Jessweeee♪
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
When I'm nervous or high. You can mathematically tell how high I am by how many times I've punched your shoulder in the past minute.

Shorty
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Oh, you're one of them violent types.

Madame Adequate
08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Yeah I fidget a lot, especially that mouse wheel scrolling! I used to pace an enormous amount but I don't do that so much anymore.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-02-2012, 06:29 PM
Forgot to mention it happens alot when paranoia sets in... speaking of which...

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2012, 08:16 PM
I fidget all the time. I don't even think I'm capable of sitting perfectly still. I'll air drum or air guitar at times, or I'll just tap my foot to beats in my head, or I'll just shake my food back and forth. I've been called out on that last one because I tend to do that while going to sleep and it bugs people.

Sylvie
08-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I fidget constantly, which helped attribute to the amazing reality that I can get amphetamine whenever I want.

But if I am unoccupied for a long amount of time, the fidgeting goes mental, and I begin to rapidly create various hedonistic ideas, which I often try to carry out. They are mostly always masturbatory in nature. It always goes in some fairly extreme sadomasochistic direction. And I really mean it when I say it. It's a mixture of both; I end up doing things to myself that I feel am controlling, but I also have a very clear desire to feel what I'm doing to another entity, but only when it comes to me. When it's just me, I need to feel both. So I do it to myself to accomplish everything I want.

Zeldy
08-03-2012, 12:33 AM
I have loads of nervous energy so I fidgit a lot, it's a great way to conveniently stay in shape :jess:

Mirage
08-03-2012, 01:03 AM
y'all niggas hyperactive

No racial slurs please, even in jest.

Agent Proto
08-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Fo sho, it surprises me to see so many fidgety people. It's like every one of them are nervous wrecks.

Sylvie
08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
It's usually anxiety or boredom. If I don't have something to occupy my time with then I have to be actively doing something even if it's tapping a pen repeatedly or whatever.

Jiro
08-03-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't like to keep still. I can, but it's not preferable. As a result, I tap tables on my knees while sitting, dance a little while standing, pace, tap my feet, crack my knuckles, scratch my face etc etc etc just to keep moving.

Sylvie
08-03-2012, 04:25 AM
I have the mannerisms of someone who is on speed all of the time.

Alpha2099
08-03-2012, 05:31 AM
I don't like to keep still. I can, but it's not preferable. As a result, I tap tables on my knees while sitting, dance a little while standing, pace, tap my feet, crack my knuckles, scratch my face etc etc etc just to keep moving.
I'm like that. Especially if I'm doing homework or writing a paper, I'm constantly getting up from my desk and walking around.

Shauna
08-05-2012, 12:03 AM
I don't fidget too much. I chalk that up to my mother not liking people fidgeting, so she'd tell me to stop whatever I was doing.

Laddy
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
I fidget a lot. Mostly because I'm always so intensely anxious about stuff.

blackmage_nuke
08-08-2012, 12:26 AM
When I read something on my computer I always move the mouse around highlighting random parts of the page. I didnt even notice it until my friend told me it was distracting

Pike
08-08-2012, 08:06 PM
When I read something on my computer I always move the mouse around highlighting random parts of the page. I didnt even notice it until my friend told me it was distracting

Are you Huxley?

Psychotic
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Can't sit or stand still ever. :hyper:

Rantz
08-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Are you Huxley?

I do that too actually!

Jiro
08-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't do it when I'm reading, but when I'm thinking about what to type I do.

Pike
08-08-2012, 11:58 PM
I only highlight strings of letters/numbers/whatnot that are aesthetically pleasing. I like things that appear to have some sort of balance-- for example, in parenthesis-- and a healthy dose of horizontal symmetry. For example, something like "(100%)" has got all sorts of symmetry and patterns in it so I'd highlight it.

IS PIKE AUTISTIC, NOW TAKING BETS

Agent Proto
08-09-2012, 12:03 AM
All of you have problems! :mad2:

Jiro
08-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Pike is spergy as heck.

Tigmafuzz
08-09-2012, 04:53 AM
I only highlight strings of letters/numbers/whatnot that are aesthetically pleasing. I like things that appear to have some sort of balance-- for example, in parenthesis-- and a healthy dose of horizontal symmetry. For example, something like "(100%)" has got all sorts of symmetry and patterns in it so I'd highlight it.

There's a space after the first two hyphens so they're touching the main part of the sentence but not the addition. The second set of hyphens has it touching the addition but not the main part of the sentence. So no, you are not autistic, because you would have noticed that the second you posted it and changed it. How dare you.

Pike
08-09-2012, 10:18 AM

There's a space after the first two hyphens so they're touching the main part of the sentence but not the addition. The second set of hyphens has it touching the addition but not the main part of the sentence. So no, you are not autistic, because you would have noticed that the second you posted it and changed it. How dare you.

That is the proper way to type a hyphen. At least, it was back in the day when I learned to type.

Tigmafuzz
08-10-2012, 01:21 AM

That is the proper way to type a hyphen. At least, it was back in the day when I learned to type.

Part of being autistic is sometimes making your own definitions of "proper" to fit with your obsessions. But I will forgive you this one time.

Everybody gets one.

blackmage_nuke
08-10-2012, 05:16 AM

Are you Huxley?

I do that too actually!

We should start a club!

Shorty
08-10-2012, 08:36 PM

Part of being autistic is sometimes making your own definitions of "proper" to fit with your obsessions. But I will forgive you this one time.

Everybody gets one.

Is that really how autism works?

Pike
08-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Probably not, but it's how autism works on the internet.

Tigmafuzz
08-11-2012, 06:14 AM

Everybody gets one.

Is that really how autism works?

Some cases, yes. There are several kinds in varying levels of severity. I was given some 300+ questionnaire once during a smurfING EIGHT HOUR PSYCH EVALUATION (required for something that I wanted to join) and apparently I scored just 2 points short of "certain" autism out of a possible 99 for that particular range. I got a 60-something. I was in the range for high-functioning autism but apparently my high scores on the logical/deductive reasoning thing as well as the friendliness aspect, extroversion, morality, altruism, compassion, self-discipline, "consciousness," and some other stuff ruled me out. It was some weird new psychological test based on both the MBTI and the IPIP-NEO integrated with the five factors model. I'll see if I can find a copy of it somewhere (unlikely) if you guys want to check it out.

Pike
08-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I've had like four or five different people (including my mom) tell me they think I have Asperger's. I just smile and nod and wonder why random people are telling me this.

Edit: For the record I actually was professionally diagnosed with ADD xD