PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Pike
08-04-2012, 01:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQzALOH9iU

Remember how great this show was? Michaelangelo was my favorite for life when I was a kid but I think maybe I was biased because orange was my favorite color back then for some unfathomable reason.

Sephex
08-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Like most people around my age, I was a big fan of this show as a kid. I was also lucky enough to get a decent chunk of the action figures from my parents as well. I actually liked Raphael the best, which I know is rare, but I rarely encountered a situation where another friend wanted to play the part of Raphael when we "played" Ninja Turtles outside or whatever. Lots of good memories because of the Turtles!

Also, the SNES version of Turtles in Time is one of the best beat 'em up games EVER!!

Agent Proto
08-04-2012, 02:02 AM
:D

I was a Leonardo and Donatello fan! The two were my favorites, since Leo is the oldest brother, like I am, and Donatello was the techy genius. Michaelangelo was fun and Raphael was okay, but he reminded me of my brother, since both are hot-headed jerks.

DMKA
08-04-2012, 02:17 AM
I loved TMNT as a kid! Leonardo was my favorite! My sister loved Michelangelo!

I even liked the newer series, but not quite as much as the old of course, and I enjoyed the CGI "TMNT" film they released a few years ago.

In fact the only TMNT related thing I know of that I really didn't care for was the movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III...the live-action one where they travel back to feudal Japan. I mean the first two live-action movies certainly weren't oscar material but....man that movie was awful. :p

Madame Adequate
08-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon intro - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQzALOH9iU)

Remember how great this show was? Michaelangelo was my favorite for life when I was a kid but I think maybe I was biased because orange was my favorite color back then for some unfathomable reason.

Because you, like me, are a loyal Norn Iron. :love:

Although I always liked Donatello the most :shobon:

Jowy
08-04-2012, 04:44 AM
My mom stitched together an entire fabric Leonardo outfit when I was in kindergarten. It was rad.

Needs more Casey Jones appreciation.

blackmage_nuke
08-04-2012, 05:04 AM
Donatello was my favourite, I always played him on the turtles in time snes game.

Jowy
08-04-2012, 05:09 AM
i didn't have any friends when turtles in time came out and don't appreciate it like everyone else my age does.

Araciel
08-04-2012, 05:53 AM
I was always pissed at my friend cause he had the van.

I had some crappy pizza thrower tank thing.

Tigmafuzz
08-04-2012, 07:41 AM
I can already tell from the title that this is going to be the best thread ever made on this site.

Shlup
08-04-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm wearing my TMNT shirt right now. After work I went for a walk through Disneyland and it got me two high-fives.

charliepanayi
08-04-2012, 09:19 AM
I remember how strange it was when I realised years later that Shredder's voice was Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince.

Bubba
08-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Pike has surpassed herself once again with this thread.

I was slightly confused when I watched the opening titles again though. Something wasn't quite right... like my childhood memories had been tampered with. It was then I realised that here in the UK the show was changed to 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles'. Apparently they thought that the word 'ninja' was too violent for our children's delicate ears.

That was a bit extreme I thought when UK children's shows were capable of producing three minute pieces of filth like this...

the full version of the rainbow twanger one - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kclq2zGQy4w&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Sephex
08-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Pike has surpassed herself once again with this thread.

I was slightly confused when I watched the opening titles again though. Something wasn't quite right... like my childhood memories had been tampered with. It was then I realised that here in the UK the show was changed to 'Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles'. Apparently they thought that the word 'ninja' was too violent for our children's delicate ears.

That was a bit extreme I thought when UK children's shows were capable of producing three minute pieces of filth like this...

the full version of the rainbow twanger one - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kclq2zGQy4w&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

Didn't they censor the weapons too?

*looks it up*

Ah, yes, they did! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles#Teenage_Mutant_.22Hero.22_Turtles)

Man, I feel sorry for you guys. It doesn't really change that much, but still!

Madame Adequate
08-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Oh man I remember that, not one person I knew ever said "hero" instead of "ninja" because we all knew the real name and that the change was bollocks. Another fun fact: All references to nunchaku were banned because people were getting injured by them so the authorities freaked out. What they didn't understand was that said injuries were caused by people trying to use them, not knowing how, and braining themselves.

Sephex
08-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh man I remember that, not one person I knew ever said "hero" instead of "ninja" because we all knew the real name and that the change was bollocks. Another fun fact: All references to nunchaku were banned because people were getting injured by them so the authorities freaked out. What they didn't understand was that said injuries were caused by people trying to use them, not knowing how, and braining themselves.

Interesting. I always found it odd that they had a problem with two wooden sticks but not STABBING WEAPONS.

Bubba
08-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Can you guys help settle a childhood argument then?

In the opening credits, what is Raphael? Is "cool but rude" or is he "cool but crude"?

Opinion was split between me and my friends and we had HUGE arguments over it. I always thought it was "crude" just because it sounds better.

Sephex
08-04-2012, 06:04 PM

In the opening credits, what is Raphael? Is "cool but rude" or is he "cool but crude"?

Opinion was split between me and my friends and we had HUGE arguments over it. I always thought it was "crude" just because it sounds better.

I learned something today. I thought it was rude, but upon looking it up myself and listening to the song again, the correct lyric is, "cool but crude!"

Bubba
08-04-2012, 06:15 PM

I learned something today. I thought it was rude, but upon looking it up myself and listening to the song again, the correct lyric is, "cool but crude!"

YEAH!!!! Suck on that, Wesley Wellings!

Sephex
08-04-2012, 06:45 PM

lol'd because that is the most British name EVER.

Pike
08-04-2012, 07:18 PM

I dunno, once in a game of EU3 I had a guy named Benjamin Buckingham.

Anyways, the TMNT theme song is so great. Possibly one of the greatest cartoon themes of all time, if you ask me.

Jinx
08-05-2012, 09:16 PM

Sir Wesley Wellings III

Bubba
08-05-2012, 10:15 PM
Actually, he was a proper little scally.

Shorty
08-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Michelangelo is the best, but I think I identified more with Leo because I was the oldest out of my siblings.

Miss this show :(

Del Murder
08-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I liked Leonardo the best because he was the leader. The show was great, the first two movies were great, the toys were great. I was a huge turtle head. One of my best childhood memories is getting the Turtle Van for my birthday. I also have fond memories of shooting my brothers in the head with the Pizza Thrower.

Sephex
08-06-2012, 02:14 AM
I liked Leonardo the best because he was the leader. The show was great, the first two movies were great, the toys were great. I was a huge turtle head. One of my best childhood memories is getting the Turtle Van for my birthday. I also have fond memories of shooting my brothers in the head with the Pizza Thrower.

My mom's nickname for the pizza thrower was the "cat terrifier."

Miss Lady Shelly
08-07-2012, 05:26 AM
I always liked Michelangelo.

Jiro
08-07-2012, 05:34 AM
fucking love TMNT

Trumpet Thief
08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
I remember the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover as a kid. Shat my pants.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2012, 01:46 PM
I watched the crap out of this show. Raphael was my favorite turtle, but Splinter was my favorite, I think.

Usagi Yojimbo was cool. (Miyamoto Usagi)

I also played the crap out of Turtles in Time, even when friends weren't around to co-play.

Raistlin
08-08-2012, 12:22 AM
I loved TMNT growing up so much. Both the TV show and the SNES games provided many hours of entertainment. Turtles in Time was such a great game.

Leonardo was my favorite because he had the coolest weapons.

Tigmafuzz
08-08-2012, 12:39 AM
I think the reason TMNT meant a lot to me was because I related to every single one of them. Leadership qualities, carefree attitude, desire for knowledge... anger issues :erm:

Jinx
08-08-2012, 12:55 AM
I think the reason TMNT meant a lot to me was because I related to every single one of them. Leadership qualities, carefree attitude, desire for knowledge... anger issues :erm:

And the fifth one who drank a bottle of vodka a day.

Tigmafuzz
08-08-2012, 02:04 AM

And the fifth one who drank a bottle of vodka a day.

Well duh. Why do you think Splinter always looked like that?

http://i.imgur.com/jklSh.jpg

Mercen-X
08-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't know if Michelangelo was my favorite character but when I was about 9-10, my parents and I lived in an apartment with pretty much nothing and I have clear memory of an awesome moment when my "room" (originally just an unused empty space that happened to have a window and a closet... I'm not going to sleep in an Bart Simpson: "I'm going to floor (http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/User:Phinbart/Transcripts).") was spontaneously filled with Ninja Turtle themed items including a couple "action-figures" (let's face it, they're dollies for boys), a complete bedspread, and a stuffed Michelangelo doll. I loved that doll for the next few years before, for some reason, his right eye disappeared.

I remember the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover as a kid. Shat my pants.

Is that strictly Japanese version. I don't remember even catching com-ad for it. I saw reference of a Spider-Man/Ranger crossover in a magazine once.

Arizona Lively
08-12-2012, 11:30 PM
They put you in a closet?
Bart Simpson: "I'm going to floor (http://simpsonswiki.net/wiki/User:Phinbart/Transcripts)."That was a great episode.

"action-figures" (let's face it, they're dollies for boys) You're my new favorite.

Mercen-X
08-13-2012, 12:38 AM
A closet WITH a closet.

Hollycat
08-13-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm glad they cancelled the movie. Now if only they could go back in time and cancel the other ones.

krissy
08-13-2012, 04:38 AM
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/33697/1753159-april_o__neil_by_davidrapozaart_d3cux3t_super.jpg

DMKA
08-13-2012, 04:48 AM
Is that strictly Japanese version. I don't remember even catching com-ad for it. I saw reference of a Spider-Man/Ranger crossover in a magazine once.
Oh, all the horrible memories are rushing back...

No, it was a strictly American production. Back in the late 90s, there was a live-action Ninja Turtles show called "Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation" and featured a fifth, female turtle named Venus de Milo. No one seems to remember it. At the same time, Power Rangers in Space was on, and they were both on Fox Kids, so in an episode of Power Rangers in Space they decided to stick the turtles from that terrible live-action show in it and make a whole two-episode special revolving around their capture and being brainwashed into fighting the power rangers, or some other such nonsense, which ends in the turtles teaming up with the rangers to fight off the baddies.

Feel free to look it up and watch it, but I wouldn't recommend it. It really is as lame as it sounds.

Mercen-X
08-13-2012, 07:06 AM
TMNT was great. I didn't approve of the choice of villain but I had hope for a sequel where the Shredder would return. He didn't because there was no sequel. And it's A-L-L YO-UR FA-ULT!

Clo
08-13-2012, 12:53 PM
I remember how strange it was when I realised years later that Shredder's voice was Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince.

:whoa: