PDA

View Full Version : dragon age 2

Jowy
08-05-2012, 01:22 AM
why are you so mediocre?

i mean i like the hacky-slashy combat but MAN does this game actually get decent? i'm just doing fetch quests for this silly dwarf and don't really care for any of my characters aside from cute elf girl and unstable gun-toting dwarf so I kind of shelved it. is it worth picking back up or should i just let it sit there?

Faris
08-05-2012, 01:32 AM
Not really. DA1 will always be the best. It gets rather linear with the personal stories too (especially the romances). It doesn't have the hook that DA1 had in any way :/

I've been wanting to play it again for more achievements but I just cba.

Madame Adequate
08-05-2012, 02:15 AM
The game never gets good. Just sell it right now while it's still worth more than 10 cents and never look back.

Jowy
08-05-2012, 02:18 AM
That's disappointing! I'm hoping DA3 isn't terrible and gives us the best from both games. Buuuuuut Bioware sold their souls to EA so we'll get a rushed inferior product with day one DLC!

Huxley, it's only like six bucks to buy used at the exchange anyway so I figure I would just get a dime for it.

Markus. D
08-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Unless you're really into it's character drama potential it's awful. Like, I love it. But hate it way more. I like it even less now that they've come out stating that they're dropping a majority of Champion of Kirkwall arc for DA3, literally every choice you make in that game has been spat out as "pointless".
That said. Yay! Back to Morrigan and Sten. My perfect babies.

Shattered Dreamer
08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm always tempted to pick this up pre owned but I've heard so many negatives about it I've never bothered. Can anybody say for sure whether or not DA2 is really worth playing at all?

Faris
08-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm always tempted to pick this up pre owned but I've heard so many negatives about it I've never bothered. Can anybody say for sure whether or not DA2 is really worth playing at all?

Only if you're a hardcore DA fan :p Then again, I know someone who is and they couldn't even be bothered to finish it.

Freya
08-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Oh shut up you prudes. It's no da1 but its not super horrible Omg. The combat is fun, the story is a.bit weak but hey so was FF xiii. If you play it as a mediocre game then you won't be disappointed. Plus varric is like one of the best characters ever.

It will be important for da3 which will be in orlais

Araciel
08-06-2012, 03:50 AM
Sex scenes lol

also, I dig the setting..

Makes me wanna D&D all over it.

DMKA
08-06-2012, 04:29 AM
No, it never gets any better than it starts out, so if you don't like it so far, don't bother picking it back up.

Honestly, in my humble opinion, it isn't an AWFUL game, certainly not half as bad as everyone online made it out to be when it was released. It's just not a great one. I have to be honest, I didn't enjoy Origins any moreso. They're both just okay games.

I do have to call them out on recycling the same exact dungeon over and over again though. That was crap.

Bolivar
08-06-2012, 04:48 AM
Amazon was selling the Origins Ultimate Edition and DAII for $10 so i figured what the hell, especially because I wanted to try the first one. I'm thoroughly enjoying Origins which surprises the heck out of me for a hardcore JRPG fan who tried and failed to get into WRPGs... really sad to hear the other half of my purchase isn't worth it, but hopefully i'll at least have a lot of content to play in Origins...

Markus. D
08-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Oh shut up you prudes. It's no da1 but its not super horrible Omg. The combat is fun, the story is a.bit weak but hey so was FF xiii. If you play it as a mediocre game then you won't be disappointed. Plus varric is like one of the best characters ever.

It won't. They're literally scrapping 90% of DA2's content, save for concluding Hawke's story in DA3. No finding out about the mirror, no Exalted Marches, no conclusive romances/choices etc. So yeah. It's a horrible game based on the fact that it's a cash in on a GotY that ultimately failed in every aspect save for character drama.

I love it to bits, but it's so very niche, and barely canon.

Shattered Dreamer
08-06-2012, 03:48 PM

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'll pick it up when I'm finished with my Assassin's Creed series catch up

Madame Adequate
08-06-2012, 05:02 PM
She's wrong, it really is an atrociously bad game by every metric! Save yourself before it's too late!

Freya
08-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Milf is wrong. He's just picky! Fenris love for the win! Hawke taking recycled kirkwall maps with strength and vigor! The first two acts are cool. I love the qunari being the baddies. The thrift act is where I lost interest but its not a horrible game. I believe its only $19.99 right now and its well worth that price. It may not be perfect but its far from horrible.

Shauna
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
The internet on the whole has told me this is a bad game. The internet is never wrong, right?

Quindiana Jones
08-06-2012, 08:15 PM
That's right!

What the hell kind of defence is that?! "Yeah, taking a cheese grater to the face hurts a lot, but so does bowel cancer." "If you play it as a mediocre game..." What the fucking fuck is that? xD

Freya
08-06-2012, 11:10 PM
It's.like FF 13! If you are expecting it to be great you won't like it cause your expectations won't be met. But same with da2 if you expect it to be an okay game then no expectations are crushed.

Quindiana Jones
08-06-2012, 11:15 PM
That doesn't make it any less shitty!

Freya
08-06-2012, 11:19 PM
It's not shitty! It's just not as good as it.could be.

Jowy
08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
i would rather hit myself in the dick with a hammer than play FF13

Jiro
08-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Eh, I'll still give it a shot. I'll rent it or borrow it rather than paying for it though.

Quindiana Jones
08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Steal it.

Jiro
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Sure. I can do that.

Laddy
08-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I thoroughly enjoy the characters, story, and MaleHawkexFenris is OMGHAWTSEXX, but otherwise, the game is a shallow, pointless, shell of what Bioware's greatness used to be.

Which begs the question, why can't once-great RPG companies like Square Enix or Bioware make actual RPG's anymore? It seems like all we get are half-hearted RPG-hybrids that feels light on actual constructive or entertaining RPG gameplay and narrative. Sigh. I really hope this current state of the gaming indsutry is a fad, or else I'll probably be sorely disappointed.

Freya
08-07-2012, 09:33 PM
The answer to that is, EA

Faris
08-07-2012, 09:37 PM
The answer to that is, EA

Bingo! Just look at the amazing pre-EA stages of Bioware: Baldur's Gate, DA1, Mass Effect, and the Star Wars games. (I've only played two of those, but have heard amazing things about the others) They were rich with character and options. Boo.

Jessweeee♪
08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Dragon Age II is actually pretty good I think. But I don't think you'd like it, Jowy. If you plan on playing DA3 and don't want to miss anything, then I'd recommend you finish up act 1 and zip through the next two acts (they aren't as long if you're only doing mandatory quests). Also I think it's safe to guess that any sidquest to do with mages and templars will be relevant to events in DA3 so maybe check those out too.

Laddy
08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Boo.
Also before EA. So adorbs!

/obscurereference.

DMKA
08-08-2012, 01:13 AM
i would rather hit myself in the dick with a hammer than play FF13
You must not like your dick very much...

Hollycat
08-08-2012, 01:18 AM
Still a better game than 2 worlds 2 GOTY (jerks, that game never won any awards, forget about GOTY)

Rocket Edge
08-08-2012, 02:43 AM
I played it for a while back in college and I thought it was very decent. Everyone to their own I suppose, but I would recommend anyone to play it.