PDA

View Full Version : Why are you not understanding this? :|

Shauna
08-05-2012, 01:37 PM
So, I signed into Facebook yesterday, and saw that I had a friend request. It was a girl I knew from high school - we had the same friends, but we ourselves were never really friends. Always got the impression she never liked me a huge amount, but whatever. We used to be friends on FB but we actually never spoke or interacted in any way, so that was enough for me to remove her.
In the end, I ignored the friend request because I am unlikely to reconnect with her.

Now, this is all normal. Except it's been 4 years. Every month or so, she will send me a friend invite, as if I somehow missed her last one. It is getting to the point that I want to send her a scathing message about how I simply do not wish to be in contact with her. It is getting hard to resist! If I were a more cruel person, it would have happened already.
I don't know how we've managed 4 years of this, and she still hasn't gotten the message yet, though. It astounds.

So EoFF, any exciting tales of people simply not grasping the situation at hand? Or maybe some stories about Facebookers being dumb? All these things are all cool.

Bunny
08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
She probably hasn't gotten the message because your name isn't even registering for her. She probably just sees you on recommended friends with X number of friends in common and hits add everytime.

I ignore everyone on facebook and they get mad at me for not talking to them.

The Man
08-05-2012, 01:56 PM
I have solved this problem by ignoring FB for the last several weeks. I actually feel somewhat less miserable than usual, which is probably because FB was a major source of political news that led me to depressing thoughts. On the other hand there are several people I could stand to reconnect with that I probably can't contact through any means other than FB, so maybe I should get back on if only to reconnect with those people.

Faris
08-05-2012, 03:13 PM
You can block them on FB so that way you don't see their requests anymore.

About a year after we had broken up, my ex decided to send me a very long email apologizing for not treating me right, chasing after my best friend ("rebound phase lol"), and asking if we could be friends. This email also had a few attached photos to "reduce awkwardness" (a phallic joke, Steven Harper next to a crying child, and a Lost reference). He also sent me a FB friend request, which I deleted. Cold shoulder was given in reply.

A few months later, he spotted me at the bus station. Tried being all friendly with me and sent me another email where he HE APOLOGIZED FOR TALKING TO ME. Also talked about the stupid tit he was up to and asked again to get together and be friends! This time I blocked the FB request and haven't been bothered since.

...I really need someone to monitor my choice in men.

~*~Celes~*~
08-05-2012, 03:48 PM
a co worker i added when i first started. I deleted her cause people were spreading rumors about me and I decided to remove everyone from work except my friends. She requested that I add her a few weeks later and I was surprised cause i didn't think she particularly liked me but i accepted anyway. Recently she deleted me because I'm friends with her sister-in-law on facebook who she isn't very fond of...I'm just like, wtf lady -_- she's very high school minded.

Tigmafuzz
08-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I have solved this problem by not having a facebook.

Shorty
08-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I have this problem with an old roommate that I don't really care for contact with. We lived together for a little over a year, but other than that have zero interests in common whatsoever. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

Also, when people try to small-talk you and your less-than-enthusiastic, short responses could not be any clearer than they already are about not wanting to have a conversation, yet people still persist >:/

Sephex
08-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I have never really had this problem. What annoys me more is when obvious friend collectors try to add you. No, sir/madam I don't know you nor do I want you on my page. I consider myself a person who is lax when it comes to who I add, but I have to at least have SOME connection to you!

Versaille
08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
You could just leave her request in your feed and forget about it. I have probably 7 people like that currently where I am just pending their request. Or you could add her, not read her posts, and forget it ever happened. Maybe she wants to reconnect? People can surprise you. Or maybe she just wants a thousand friends to show off her popularity. You could send her a message saying, no offense but I normally only accept people on my friends list I'm actually friends with, not acquaintances. I usually just accept these people and move on unless they are people I just don't know at all or ex-boyfriends. It's really not a big deal on my facebook because I don't blab about my life or personal things so I don't take it as seriously and will add an acquaintance if they request to be friends first.

Zeldy
08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
No one adds me on Facebook other than business pages. :'(

Miss Lady Shelly
08-06-2012, 12:22 AM
I had a recent fallout with a group of people (bunch of drama) and I decided to delete them off of Facebook because i didn't want to put up with their stupid crap anymore and I also didn't want them knowing my bushiness. Anyway the one chick keeps sending me request and everything and its like you would think she would get the hint that i don't want any thing to do with her. But nope shes that dumb.

Shlup
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM
I've taken to literally ignoring friend requests. I don't mean hit the "Ignore" button, I mean I leave them sitting there, forever pending. They can't send a new one if the last one is still pending.

Right now I have four requests pending. One is an EoFFer but I don't know who it is, two are my stepmother's mother's cousins (wtf?), and one is a girl who invited herself and her boyfriend to my wedding and then didn't show up.

Pike
08-06-2012, 01:02 AM
I've taken to literally ignoring friend requests. I don't mean hit the "Ignore" button, I mean I leave them sitting there, forever pending. They can't send a new one if the last one is still pending.

Right now I have four requests pending. One is an EoFFer but I don't know who it is, two are my stepmother's mother's cousins (wtf?), and one is a girl who invited herself and her boyfriend to my wedding and then didn't show up.

Yeah I have like ten people sitting there in the request box. Most of them are people that I saw twice in high school 12 years ago or something, but a couple of them are people that I am actively avoiding. :shifty:

Ya'll can add me on FB by the way if you want and haven't already. Not that I ever do/say anything interesting. xD facebook.com/pikestaff

Peegee
08-06-2012, 03:11 AM
i feel like i should send shlup a friend request.

Markus. D
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
When ... a family issue came up in regards to religion and my well, me. ME. I, out of horror and fear, deleted most of my friends from my church days.

Jiro
08-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Leaving the friend requests there forever is the best idea.

Clo
08-07-2012, 05:00 PM
I routinely delete people I haven't talked to in 5+ years on Facebook.

And then when they friend request me again, I drink my wine and laugh maniacally as I deny their request.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
I've been lucky in that every friend request I've declined hasn't bothered to try again.

Of course I also probably don't show up on a lot of other people's lists of "potential FB friends". The only friends I have on there are people I hang out with in real life, military friends I stay in contact with, and EOFFers.