PDA

View Full Version : D'aaawwwww

sharkythesharkdogg
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Cool project. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GybG-ZonSgw&feature=player_embedded)

What fun projects did you do with your parents as a kid?

Bird house? Quilt? Meth lab?

Miss Lady Shelly
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
One year my dad helped me grow crystals on rocks and another year he helped me with growing mold on food.

Alpha2099
08-07-2012, 06:52 PM
My dad and I raised butterflies. We mailed away for the caterpillars, fed them, and watched them grow. Then we released them into the wild. It was cute.

Clo
08-07-2012, 07:11 PM
My dad taught me karate and gardening when I was a kid. Are those projects? I guess not. We painted a toy house once.

Sephex
08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
I was in Cub Scouts when I was younger which lead to my mom being a Den Mother and my dad being a Pack Leader (I think that's what the "boss" was called). Needless to say, I did a lot of projects with my parent's when I was younger.

I always did well/the best in the Pinewood Derby (racing hand made wooden cars down a gravity based track) because my dad worked in a shop floor environment at the time, so he had access to tools that can cut through thick sheet metal like butter. Part of the rules was that your dad HAD to help you, so that advantage was fair! I think I might have a couple of those cars in my room at my folk's house somewhere...

Bubba
08-07-2012, 08:53 PM
My Dad taught me the guitar which I now make a living from. Cheers Pops!

In terms of fun projects we used to make dens in the front room with duvets... if that counts.

Jinx
08-07-2012, 10:22 PM
Nothing.

My father wanted nothing to do with me.

My mother went to school full-time and worked full-time.

NorthernChaosGod
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
I actually just used to play video games with my dad.

Parker
08-07-2012, 10:46 PM
My dad was army and was away a lot. He taught me to be interested in other cultures and countries, I guess. He's an arsehole now but he used to be a great guy, so I just remember those days.

Tigmafuzz
08-08-2012, 12:52 AM
My father was a great man. But he died when I was 3, leaving me with my mother.

We don't talk about my mother.

Pike
08-08-2012, 12:54 AM
I actually just used to play video games with my dad.

Same here :D And with my mom, as well. They were the ones that introduced me to games.

We also went on a lot of little road trips and such.

escobert
08-08-2012, 02:16 AM
My parents didn't live together and my mom was always working so i never really did things with either of them :(

Faris
08-08-2012, 02:34 AM
Mom worked night shifts and slept all day.

Dad took me to soccer, we worked on puzzles every now and then but that's about it. Never really did any hobbies with my parents because I am an independent child and I have old parents.

Jiro
08-08-2012, 02:51 AM
My father wanted nothing to do with me.

Pretty much. I must have been something of a disappointment.

fire_of_avalon
08-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Pipe cleaner rollercoasters mother fuckas.

Shiny
08-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Built a trebuchet. Unfortunately don't have the pictures or video of this trebuchet actually working. My friends and I put water balloons in it and then rolled it to the middle school. We had a massive water balloon fight with people who built trebuchets and catapults. This one person built a huge wooden trebuchet with his dad. It flew and hit the school. Seriously the best time in public school I've ever had.

I also built a Rube Goldberg like contraption with my dad for seventh grade science. He did most of the work I just came up with the concept and tested it as it was progressing. Come to think of it from 1st - 7th grade my dad did most of my projects. I was more of a term paper or essay person than a build this, or arts and crafts type of person. Didn't get into painting, charcoal, and pastel drawings until 8th grade.

With my mom, I don't recall her doing any projects especially not school related. She never actually finished high school (though did get her GED) because I think she went off to pursue her dreams of being a ballerina. Now she's in to like interior design or some tit. She did teach me how to garden.

Shlup
08-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Uhm... My parents can be cool to hang out with, but I can't think of any projects we've done together. My grandparents are more of the crafty types. My grandpa helped me build a model mission in fourth grade (it's a thing all fourth graders in California do), and once we built a radio together. My grandma helps me with pretty much all of my sewing projects.

Rantz
08-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Uhm... My parents can be cool to hang out with, but I can't think of any projects we've done together. My grandparents are more of the crafty types.

Pretty much this. My grandma taught me about the birds and the bees. Uh, in the literal sense.

Jiro
08-08-2012, 11:35 PM
Was she much of a naturalist or did you guys have fun learning about stuff together?

rubah
08-09-2012, 03:44 AM
http://snowy-day.net/stuff/art/old/sword1-small.jpg
My dad helped me fill in about 1/3 of the wood in this picture because I was out of weekend to finish the damn thing

we also created a connector to record songs from my mom's old hifi (phono, 8-track, cassette) onto my computer

and put this together
http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/windmill-day.jpghttp://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/windmill-night.jpg

http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/beetle.jpg
I mostly watched, but he tried making a gourd instrument one day

Another time, he had me wrapping wire for a scheme he cooked up to turn a flashlight with no bulb into a portable electromagnet.

http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/goodbyescanner.jpg
he taught me to cut sheet glass when I discovered my nephew had trod on my scanner (with the lid down, luckily for him)

http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/mbpinnards.jpg
The first electronic thing dad helped me take apart was my nanopet when the battery died.
He wouldn't take responsibility for if I wasn't able to boot my computer afterwards, but dad did help me with getting those damn tiny screws to open my laptop, and a few times since then. Back when I used a desktop, we hauled the tower out to his shop to blast the fan with compressed air to clean it out.

http://snowy-day.net/pictures/mes/f%27in%27%20hippie.jpg
My mom helped me break down a pair of jeans to create a masterpiece.

http://snowy-day.net/pictures/things/flower-0225.jpg
And helped me with random plant potting projects I'd undertake

Then there's the time all three of us rebuilt a house together! Involving such mini-projects as "split apart this old shelf to make cute taller narrower shelves"

Rantz
08-09-2012, 07:19 AM
Was she much of a naturalist or did you guys have fun learning about stuff together?

The former. ;)

Jiro
08-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Don't give me that winky face I was actually curious in a totally innocent way!

Rantz
08-09-2012, 09:40 AM
It was an innocent winky face!

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
My dad and I did DIY a lot. I learned a lot about carpentry, masonry, plumbing, plastering, electric-ing and painting, among other things. He's also the one who got me into cycling, and we did a few tours together.

Clo
08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Oh yeah. When I was about 4-5 years old, my dad would sit my little brother and I on his shoulders on this giant armchair and we'd play Super Mario Bros. on Nintendo together! We'd all pass the controller around.

He got me into videogames.

Tigmafuzz
08-10-2012, 01:25 AM
I learned a lot about carpentry, masonry, plumbing, plastering, electric-ing and painting, among other things.

You're lucky. I had to learn that all myself. What does/did your dad do for a living?

Agent Proto
08-10-2012, 01:31 AM
The one thing I remember working together with my dad was building a computer from scratch. He got all the compartments needed, and asked me to help him put it together.

Quindiana Jones
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I learned a lot about carpentry, masonry, plumbing, plastering, electric-ing and painting, among other things.

You're lucky. I had to learn that all myself. What does/did your dad do for a living?

He's a 50 year old man. He's done a lot of things haha. These are just skills that he's learned by virtue of being a Geordie in the late twentieth century, though. His dad was an engineer, so that probably had something to do with it, too.

Shorty
08-10-2012, 07:45 PM
My dad taught my sisters and I to cook and bake when we were little. I think I'm a pretty good cook and I can bake phenomenally. I think if he hadn't let us help him make meals and cakes and desserts and stuff all the time, I wouldn't have an interest now in opening my own bakery/cafe someday.

In elementary school, I was a part of this 50 States Fair thing and we had to do a presentation and make a huge map out of whatever state we chose and set it on display. My dad and I stayed up all night baking cakes to mold into a ginormous mountainous cake map for my presentation. We stacked layers on top of eachother and shaved them to mold the mountains and stuff and and used different colored frosting for the different high and low points of the state and used candy and stuff for the keys on the map. And then all fifty kids came and ate it when the day was over.

Also writing. I wrote a lot of stories when I was younger and I would always take them to my dad and he'd critique me on them and help suggest things that I could change or different ways to take the plot.

I can't really remember doing a lot of projects with my mom. She sewed clothes a lot for us, so we'd have to be mannequins for her. That wasn't really fun, though.

NorthernChaosGod
08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Why have you never baked for me then, Sarah? :colbert:

Shorty
08-10-2012, 09:22 PM
I would bake you something for Labor Day but you won't be around :(

NorthernChaosGod
08-10-2012, 09:33 PM
:(