PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Gaming Accomplishments

Pike
08-08-2012, 01:09 AM
What are some crazy and neat things you have seen people do with video games? Minecraft is a gold mine for this sort of thing. Like where these people recreated the first level of Super Mario Land (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/01/geeks-lose-minds-recreate-first-level-of-super-mario-land-with/) in stopmotion.

Share some of the crazy gaming accomplishments you've seen!

Hollycat
08-08-2012, 01:26 AM
Wow that's old. Still neat though.

Sephex
08-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Super Metroid. 100% complete. 50 mins. No tool assist.

FIwiYod8Wm0
Linking first part only. I figure if someone is going to watch the whole thing, they'll click the appropriate related links.

Laddy
08-08-2012, 03:51 AM
I never actually participate in these things, but I have huge respect for people who can beat FF games in like, 40 minutes. :/

Tigmafuzz
08-08-2012, 06:09 AM
I used to speedruns of a lot of games, but they got boring and repetitive. My coolest gaming accomplishment though is that a friend and i once spent about three weeks trying to beat Battletoads AND WE FUCKING SUCCEEDED

Bubba
08-08-2012, 10:52 AM
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. 100% complete in 3 hours and 48 minutes. All items, all heart containers, full bombs and arrows.

I don't have a link to it but I did get £20 off a guy who said I couldn't do it in under five hours.

Sephex
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
I used to speedruns of a lot of games, but they got boring and repetitive. My coolest gaming accomplishment though is that a friend and i once spent about three weeks trying to beat Battletoads AND WE FUCKING SUCCEEDED

You just reminded me of an old Nintendo Power letter where some kid wrote in and said that he broke his arm or hand. So he played games with feet using the NES Advantage controller until the break healed. Back then I thought that was impressive. A similar thing I did with a buddy is beat the toughest original Super Mario Kart course on 150cc while viewing the TV upside down.

Bubba
08-08-2012, 11:11 AM
A similar thing I did with a buddy is beat the toughest original Super Mario Kart course on 150cc while viewing the TV upside down.

This person is my hero.

Del Murder
08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
I once beat the Elite 4 on Pokemon with my eyes closed.

Hollycat
08-08-2012, 04:54 PM
I played all three spyros to completion with my feet.

Jowy
08-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Resident Evil PS1 non-director's cut in 1:51 with Jill. Ballin!

Hollycat
08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Resident evil 4: I almost survived the first town.

edczxcvbnm
08-08-2012, 05:26 PM
A similar thing I did with a buddy is beat the toughest original Super Mario Kart course on 150cc while viewing the TV upside down.

This person is my hero.

Hilariously, he we could never beat it without doing something completely stupid like that :/ Must have something to do with concentrating so much on what direction you need to press that bad habits disappear or something?

Sephex
08-08-2012, 07:30 PM

This person is my hero.

Hilariously, he we could never beat it without doing something completely stupid like that :/ Must have something to do with concentrating so much on what direction you need to press that bad habits disappear or something?

I forgot to mention that! That's what makes that story truly hilarious! But yeah, I have speculated that the unusual perspective actually ended up helping us in the end.

NorthernChaosGod
08-08-2012, 10:59 PM
I can't remember very many things that are that great, but I do have some pretty sweet moments from my Halo 3 career.

One of the best moments is playing a very intense match of Team Slayer with the scores tied at 49. It basically ends with one friend betraying the other to not let the other team collect the point while I'm getting a kill somewhere else so the match ends and we win.

It was just the kind of thing that was so intense at the time and we were so overjoyed when we realized what happened.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
The only remarkable achievements I've pulled off have been beating chaotic games at extreme levels of intoxication. A buddy and I marathoned Left 4 Dead 2 and beat the entire game while finishing off damn near a refrigerator of leftover half bottles and assorted beers from a party. Myself and this individual alongside 3 other friends also managed to beat the original Little Big Planet while simultaneously finishing a pony keg and about 3 bottles of liquor. The odd man was the dude that either needed to take a piss or make a new drink.

We are only absolutely certain that we beat these games because they had not been played on my friends systems prior to these nights, and we found completed save files the next morning. No one really remembers actually finishing them.

Hollycat
08-11-2012, 01:34 AM
Today I started ME3 with my feet. So far it is very very very very very difficult. I'm on the lowest difficutly.

DMKA
08-11-2012, 01:49 AM
I have an FFVII file on an old PS1 memory card where, in addition to doing everything else conceivable that the game has to offer, I mastered every single materia in the game, got three sets of the Master Summon/Spell/Command materia and I mastered the KotR materia eight times. I did this legitimately, with no cheating devices.

I fell for a very elaborate "revive Aeris" rumor back in middle school, because I saw it on the internet so IT MUST HAVE BEEN TRUE! :|

Jiro
08-11-2012, 02:01 AM
It basically ends with one friend betraying the other to not let the other team collect the point while I'm getting a kill somewhere else so the match ends and we win.

That's actually a pretty genius tactic.

TrollHunter
08-11-2012, 02:36 AM
Ratchet and clank, going commando. No armor run, holy jesus the second half of the game kicked my ass over and over and over again. The level with all the protopets took maybe 50billion attempts before finally getting lucky.
I'm debating on doing a new game + no armor run.
Oh, also, I dont use the shield charger.

Tigmafuzz
08-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Today I started ME3 with my feet. So far it is very very very very very difficult. I'm on the lowest difficutly.

It doesn't get much easier for the first few weeks.

I Took the Red Pill
08-11-2012, 09:05 AM
It basically ends with one friend betraying the other to not let the other team collect the point while I'm getting a kill somewhere else so the match ends and we win.

That's actually a pretty genius tactic.Yeah, I don't get it though. Did your friend suck balls at Halo so you just killed him so he wasn't a target? Because if he was being attacked by the other team and your friend finished him off, the other team gets the point.

My two greatest accomplishments are getting all 700 stickers in Super Smash Bros Brawl (took over 5 years) and beating I Wanna Be the Guy on Hard Mode.

Tigmafuzz
08-12-2012, 08:32 AM
My two greatest accomplishments are getting all 700 stickers in Super Smash Bros Brawl (took over 5 years)[/quote

I'm at 681... Soon.

[QUOTE=I Took the Red Pill;3111617]and beating I Wanna Be the Guy on Hard Mode.

I beat it on Very Hard once. Once. I am never playing that game ever again.

Hollycat
08-12-2012, 06:28 PM

It doesn't get much easier for the first few weeks.
I gave up after 2 hours. I couldn't get past earth.

Now playing: ME3 regular run.
Sound shapes.
WO2 chaos runthrough restricted level level one weapons only, no magic, no abilities.
Pretty difficult, but not impossible.

Elite Lord Sigma
08-13-2012, 12:53 AM
I beat all of the original five campaigns for Left 4 Dead 2 on Expert a few months back. I also beat Dead Center on Expert Realism with help from a few good friends.

As for competitive games, I was playing a match of King of the Hill on Academy in Gears of War 3. The score was 142-140 when the other team spawned at the final hill of the game and captured it. As doing nothing meant my team lost, I threw my smoke grenade and managed to stun the entire other team. I was able to roadie run between the four Locust there, break the hill at 149 points, and kill one of them with my shotgun before I went down. However, I bought enough time for my team to arrive at the hill and clean up the enemy team to win the match.

NorthernChaosGod
08-13-2012, 04:07 AM

That's actually a pretty genius tactic.Yeah, I don't get it though. Did your friend suck balls at Halo so you just killed him so he wasn't a target? Because if he was being attacked by the other team and your friend finished him off, the other team gets the point.

To be honest, I never really knew the exact details of that part since I wasn't on the betrayal part of things. I do remember that they have to damage you enough to get credit for a kill though.

Markus. D
08-13-2012, 05:43 AM
Watching the every non-optional level in bomberman speed-run'd in 24 minutes made me feel worthless as a gamer xD

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 03:48 AM
I've seen some things, man... and some stuff. I don't store it in memory though.

My best gaming accomplishment was something akin to finishing StH2 in 45m. That's pretty much the only significant accomplishment from my gaming life. Also, it was not my first playthrough. I'd had plenty of practice, so I don't know that it actually counts.

I unlocked Enigma on JetMoto2. Don't know how great that is, but it was great for me. I still have the save data despite not owning the game. I also have the DirectPlaythrough and Uninterrupted Season (Professional) pins.

Skyblade
08-15-2012, 04:25 AM
Last night, I completed what is probably my single most awesome game-related accomplishment of all time.

I defeated Margaret in Persona 3 Portable, using just my main character.

Why is this awesome? Because, as far as I have been able to tell, no one on the internet has been able to do this so far. I have heard strategies, and "well, it might possible if you can get really lucky on such and such", but everyone saying that it is not actually something that can be done.

See, unlike P3's Elizabeth, P4's Margaret was designed to be taken on by your entire team. As such, she is much, much more forgiving. For example, if you would absorb one of her attacks, she doesn't care. She also doesn't toss in 9999 Megidolaons. Though she still gets upset if you use the Omnipotent Orb, but that's about it.

As such, with a solid setup, you can solo her with no real problem. You have plenty of powerful skills, including the all buffs/all debuffs, and a number of multi hit physical moves.

In Persona 3 Portable, howevoer, she's harder. Much, much harder. First, the addition of the 3 types of physical combat back to the game means that during phase 1, she isn't always vulnerable to your best physical moves. Second, she now takes two turns per round, meaning that your debuffs only last half as long (the expire after three turns, and she now takes two turns per round). Third, you lose Persona 4's heavier attacking skills. And, Fourth, and perhaps most importantly, she now has a damage enrage. You have to do at least 5000 damage every 10 turns, or she kills you (Cumulative. If you do 10000 in the first 10 turns, you technically wouldn't have to do any damage during turns 11-20).

That damage limitation seems to be designed specifically to prevent soloing, as the most damage you can reliably do to her on an average turn is 450, which leaves you short in the course of ten turns.

But, with some good old strategy, tactics, and a bit of luck, I did it. Completely and totally.