PDA

View Full Version : What game genre are you the WORST at?

Pike
08-09-2012, 02:07 AM
For me, it's fighting games. I think they're fun, but all I do is smash random buttons and hope something happens.

Sephex
08-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Also fighting games for me. I am actually good in my group of friends the rare time we play against each other, but if you put me up against ANYONE that plays even half hearted, I will get utterly DESTROYED.

Faris
08-09-2012, 02:25 AM
C-c-c-combo breaker. Nah, I'm not too great at fighting games either. That and shooters.

Agent Proto
08-09-2012, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty decent with fighting game, as long as you can block and fight back, you'll do pretty good.

What I'm not good, though, are the sports games. The computer always cheat, and whenever I do good against another player, they would rage quit on me. :(

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2012, 03:06 AM
Sports is the most obvious since I don't play them at all so I would probably be at a loss if I had to play a few rounds of one. Any game with a First Person perspective tends to throw me off, especially if it has platform elements since I seem to be completely inept at telling space and distance very well.

Alpha2099
08-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Yeah, probably fighting games. And online multiplayer games. I was never very good at playing Warcraft III on Battle.net. If I did 4-player teams, I was okay because I had teammates to help out, but one-on-one I was hideous.

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Wii games. I know a shoddy worksman blames his tools, but fucking hell.

Tigmafuzz
08-09-2012, 05:19 AM
The only games I'm not completely badass at are sports games. Because I never play them. Because I don't like them. Platformers and fighting games I'm awesome at, shooters and RPGs I'm pretty damn great at, and everything else I'm at least good at. But sports games... Ugh.

Bolivar
08-09-2012, 06:45 AM
I consider myself a well-rounded gamer, so it's hard for me to pick an area of weakness. I also think you guys aren't giving sports games a fair shot; a lot of them can be incredibly fun even if you don't play the sport or have any interest in it.

If I had to pick one, I would say dating sims, because I'm such an amazing person to be around in real life, my choices probably wouldn't correspond with someone's who's experience with socializing is relegated to implementing them into a computer program.

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I used to play American football games with my friend. It was brilliant. I knew nothing about handegg before, and... well, I still know nothing. Same with golf games. They're just great fun to play with friends. I hate football games, though.

Pete for President
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Either racing sims or RTS games. Those are the genres I play the least, so it makes sense.

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I consider myself a well-rounded gamer, so it's hard for me to pick an area of weakness. I also think you guys aren't giving sports games a fair shot; a lot of them can be incredibly fun even if you don't play the sport or have any interest in it.

If I had to pick one, I would say dating sims, because I'm such an amazing person to be around in real life, my choices probably wouldn't correspond with someone's who's experience with socializing is relegated to implementing them into a computer program.

My issue with sports games is that I don't really see the point. If I wanted to play football for instance, I would just make time with a few friends or join a local recreational center team. Other than that, I don't feel there is anything inherently bad, it just confounds me why someone would bother playing something you can do freely. Course I extend this sentiment to watching sports as well. Watching other people play is boring.

The fun of dating sims isn't making the right choices, its making the fun choices and watching the hilarity that ensues. Can't really do that in real life and still stay friends with some people. ;)

escobert
08-09-2012, 03:29 PM
All.

CimminyCricket
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I am absolutely horrible at sports games. It isn't fair. A toddler with no thumbs and one good eye could probably play an NFL game far better than I could. I haven't purchased a sports game since 2006 when I picked up that year's NHL from 2K.

I'm also pretty bad at fighting games. I'm not the worst person I know, but there are still a great number of people that would mop the floor with me. Take the no thumbs, one eyed toddler I mentioned earlier. Give that little son of a bitch a puppy to play with while we're in the middle of a Mortal Kombat match and he'd still win.

And my 15 year old brother likes to make me look like a frog on a log when we play shooter games, but besides when I play with him I am actually pretty good.

Slothy
08-09-2012, 03:52 PM
Honestly? 4X games. God do I love them, but I rarely have the time to devote to properly learning them these days so I play on low difficulties to feel like a badass.

Jessweeee♪
08-09-2012, 04:02 PM
Shooters. I just charge and fire wildly into the air. I always play Adept or Vanguard in Mass Effect because if you're firing a gun you're doing it wrong.

Jowy
08-09-2012, 04:54 PM
>handegg

my man furpuck is where the fun is for sports games.

Shorty
08-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Fighting and racing games, as I'm terrible at both. I have probably never won a Smash Brothers game in my life.

Pike
08-09-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm actually pretty good at Smash Bros but it's a lot more straightforward than more traditional fighters, imo.

Madame Adequate
08-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Sports games are great in couch co-op and you're seriously missing out. There is nothing better than getting a hole-in-one in Tiger Woods and being able to stick it in your bro's face.

I would say I'm worst at Dotes clones but that's not a genre.

Psychotic
08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
I learned that I was terrible at driving in games with vehicle sections, so smurf knows how awful I would be at an actual driving game.

edit: Just realised I own an actual driving game, Burnout. Yep, I was useless. Still better than Steve, mind. I also actually beat Quin in a race and he was really, really upset about it.

DK
08-09-2012, 07:36 PM
I've been having a little think about it and I guess I would have to say fighting games as well, although I'm not flat out bad at them, I'm generally alright to quite good, at one time I was a total god on tekken when I dedicated months to trying to learn its ins and outs, and I can pretty much pick up most fighting games and hang and I do enjoy them. The issue I have is that I am in no, way, shape or form inclined to learn how to defend in fighting games, I learn how to do all the attack moves and stuff and then that's it. I've been playing BlazBlue the last week or so for a laugh and realised at one point that I hadn't actually used the block function the entire time I was playing it. I'm also very lazy about trying to learn the high level stuff like proper dirty combos and cancelling and all that kind of shit. I just can't be bothered to put the time in to do it. I will pick up a few basic ones that I like and then stick with that, mainly.

Other than that I think I go pretty well. I do have this feeling I'm forgetting something else I suck at but I haven't really played anything other than fighting or sports games for ages now so idk.

Araciel
08-09-2012, 07:37 PM
RTS. I spend too much on building tech and defences and nothing else.

Mirage
08-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I'm pretty bad at bullet hell games. That shit's just a bit too overwhelming for me.

Tigmafuzz
08-10-2012, 01:12 AM
I just had a thought. Do you lot consider driving/racing games to be sports games?

I'm pretty bad at bullet hell games. That tit's just a bit too overwhelming for me.

But those are the most fun! Mushihimesama Futari is the best game ever ;_;

Mirage
08-10-2012, 02:13 AM
I consider them to be motorsports games.

Jiro
08-10-2012, 04:30 AM
I don't even know. puzzle games maybe. I'm pretty average at everything tbh. Fighting games would be a weakness if not for the fact that I button mash like a professional :aimsun:

Del Murder
08-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Probably FPS for me. I suck at aiming and it's such a popular genre these days that my skills are way behind the norm.

Quindiana Jones
08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
I learned that I was terrible at driving in games with vehicle sections, so smurf knows how awful I would be at an actual driving game.

edit: Just realised I own an actual driving game, Burnout. Yep, I was useless. Still better than Steve, mind. I also actually beat Quin in a race and he was really, really upset about it.

Hey! I challenged you to a race and won it. I won the bet! I just didn't win Dan's little Grand Prix. :colbert:

Also, you weren't that bad at Burnout. Sure, third best out of the four of us, but way closer to second than you were to fourth. :heart:

cloud94
08-10-2012, 01:42 PM
Sport games, I haven't touched a sport game in years.

Jinx
08-10-2012, 03:59 PM
I OWN at fighting games. Always have.

I am godawful at FPS. Can't do it. One time a friend let me play Halo on his account, and my teammates killed me after awhile. :(

Freya
08-10-2012, 04:13 PM
FPS's kinda. I'm better at third person shooters. I'm good at sniping but with an assault rifle blargh. I'm now also horrible at competitive RTSs. I can play story modes on those well xD But against people f me. I guess sports games? Butt hen I don't play them so I can't asses how good I am at them. Fighting games? I'm button mashing god and somehow that makes me pretty good at it. It's another genre I don't dabble in too often though. For some reason, I"m bad at super mario galaxy. I dunno why, just that game. I suck at it.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm pretty garbage at online FPS, but I attribute that to not really liking online FPS' whereas other people seem to fricking live in them. It's a bit like a guy that just got out of the swim class showing up to the 400m Medley at the Olympics asking if it's cool if he just tries a bit. The games that I really and truely suck at and despise wholeheartedly are racing sims. I'm actually pretty good at arcade racers (Motorstorm FTW, Old school Ridge Racer was bomb too) but damn, Gran Turismo and it's ilk can pretty much blow me.

Sephex
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I'm pretty garbage at online FPS, but I attribute that to not really liking online FPS' whereas other people seem to fricking live in them. It's a bit like a guy that just got out of the swim class showing up to the 400m Medley at the Olympics asking if it's cool if he just tries a bit.

Also, if you win or lose, remember this: You're a n**** and/or a f*****, especially in online console gaming.

Also, this:

EDIT: Pic won't display correctly. Have a link! http://theoatmeal.com/comics/online_gaming

Jinx
08-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks so much for posting The Oatmeal, Justin

well there goes my afternoon

Slothy
08-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Fucking beat me to it.

Sephex
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM

smurfing beat me to it.

I do what I can, guys! :love:

escobert
08-10-2012, 09:50 PM
Probably FPS for me. I suck at aiming and it's such a popular genre these days that my skills are way behind the norm.

Come play CSS omfg these people are ridiculous. I can't wait for GO so I can be on even ground for about 3 minutes.

Bolivar
08-11-2012, 12:18 AM
OH MAN I CAN'T WAIT FOR CS: GO!!! I'm gonna pwn so hard on it. I'm guessing some fellow EoFFers will as well???

Guys?

Slothy
08-11-2012, 01:26 AM
I was on the fence until I saw it was going to be $15. I think I'll order that thing shortly. Mind you I'll be buying it on PC. Is it on other platforms and is there cross platform play if yes?

Trumpet Thief
08-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Driving Games, the exception being Mario Kart. Then again, I'm a horrible driver in real life, so maybe it makes sense.

Laddy
08-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm good at fighting game and enjoy them.

I suck at shooters. I'm good at TF2 because there are more tactical options, but everything else is just me destroying my team with legendary suck.

DMKA
08-11-2012, 04:33 PM
RTS games like Starcraft. I'm awful at them.

Shauna
08-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I feel like I play all genres of games to the same level of mediocrity. I am not amazing at any in particular, but I'm not horrible at any either.

But, if I had to pick one... probably driving games. :3

Markus. D
08-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Sports games. No matter how refined the mechanics I just ... don't get along with them. Just like in real life.

Mercen-X
08-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Difficult games.

Basically, I have no genre weakness, really. It's all about my computing speed versus the AI and the layout of the controller. Whether RPG, Puzzle, Sport, act/ad, Fighting, Shooter, FPS, RTS, stealth/survival, sim, Racing, Music/Rhythm, Trivia... okay, I think that's all of them. Point being, I can play it well if we're on the same level.

As an example, I did well on Fighting Force and even Ehrgeiz, but it took some bit extra doing for the Bouncer and the Tekken series (I found Jinpachi incredibly difficult with most characters)... another example: I do well on every Final Fantasy ("well" here meaning I don't accomplish "perfect" playthroughs but I do complete the story) but I find some installments of KH to be somewhat confounding. Meanwhile, I also had an easier time navigating Jak, Psychonauts, and Okami.

I love Grand Theft Auto but Gran Turismo often grates on my nerves.

ReloadPsi
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM
Fighting games and real time strategy. Pick one.

The ironic thing is they're probably two of the genres I enjoy the most.