PDA

View Full Version : Battle Dynamics

Jiro
08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
So we all know how X-2 had this amazingly well developed battle system that was pretty much its only saving grace in the eyes of them haters, right? It was pretty dynamic hence the title right. The thing I want to draw your attention to is the fact that you could like, hit enemies as they were still moving and it would delay/cancel(?) their attack. Pretty cool. It would also stop them from moving back to the location they initiated the attack from. This is the important bit.

This shit started way back when. I know it happened in X, at the very least, because I saw it happen. If you hit attack quick enough on a fast character (say Tidus) then he will smack a bitch while they're still jumping back to their place. I thought "man that's pretty cool" because it is. Has little effect on gameplay otherwise, but then it was the step before X-2 so it didn't surprise me much.

What surprised me was that I was fighting me a Grand Dragon or whatever they're called up in Nibelheim and just after the dragon went and hit me Cloud smacked him in the face - before he could return to his spot. I was like ":eek: no way" but then the dragon jumped back to his spot again anyway and I sadfaced forever. But yeah, this whole battle dynamics thing has been in the works for a while it seems.

Just like, discuss battle systems in general. What's yer favourite? I know it was a part of the census but none of you fucktards gave explanations anyway.

Del Murder
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
ATB is my favorite, and FFX-2 has been the best version of this to date. It's fast-paced, you can control all characters, chain attacks, and switch jobs mid-battle. It has everything.

Mercen-X
08-10-2012, 07:39 PM
I don't recall this action in VII, X, or X-2... attacking an enemy that is still in motion..? Nope. I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger though and when a character with a "counterattack accessory" is struck, they strike back while the enemy is still hovering directly over them. This is the only time I recall ever seeing this.

I like XII's. Even I don't really like the Gambits.

Jinx
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
It happens all the time in X and X-2. I've never seen it in VII, but I trust Jiro.

VeloZer0
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
I don't generally like a whole lot of position based mechanics in games because you typically get a very weak control of your party's position. Sure in FF12 & 13 position affected a lot of abilities, but you couldn't really do a whole lot about it only controlling one character at a time.

ShinGundam
08-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't generally like a whole lot of position based mechanics in games because you typically get a very weak control of your party's position. Sure in FF12 & 13 position affected a lot of abilities, but you couldn't really do a whole lot about it only controlling one character at a time.
I don't think 12 and 13 have position based mechanics. In fact, the position of your party vs enemies rarely matter.

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
ATB is my favorite, and FFX-2 has been the best version of this to date. It's fast-paced, you can control all characters, chain attacks, and switch jobs mid-battle. It has everything.

This, and XII.

Jessweeee♪
08-14-2012, 02:45 PM
FFX-2, FFXII, and FFXIII are my favorites!

VeloZer0
08-15-2012, 07:25 AM
AoE attacks in FF12 and FF13 affect a radius around the initial target. If your party is spread out they are much less susceptible to AoE attacks.

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Of course, I don't think 13 lets you change leaders and move your party around. You just have to hope they're smart enough to do it on their own... which they're not.

Shauna
08-15-2012, 08:47 PM
13 does indeed let you change party leaders. Eventually. :3

Mirage
08-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Not during battle, which is where you need it most.

Mercen-X
08-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Truth

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
It happens all the time in X and X-2. I've never seen it in VII, but I trust Jiro.

I believe Jiro is talking about the effect of Counter Materia. Counter basically hits the enemy as soon as they hit you hence the before it retreats.

However I think the best battle system is probably that of X-2, I disliked XII and XIII's MMO inspired combat systems, Gambits was probably the worst since they essentially allow you to sit back and have a break whilst still grinding a dungeon. In fact in the Lhusu Mines I did just that, I even went made a tea because when you've got them set up right they always attack the next monster and when you've got 80+ monsters spawning on a single screen/area it's easily done.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:24 AM
I don't mean Counter materia. I mean that the Dragon attacked Yuffie and before it was finished, Cloud ran up and smacked the fucker in the face.

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 05:00 AM
Tactics has by far the best battle system in the series. Positioning was very relevant, and so -- unlike in XII and XIII -- you were given the actual ability to control your character's positions (shocking, I know). It included a ton of variety and customization options (between generic classes, unique story characters, and monsters the options are virtually endless), and often required a lot of strategy. How many times in other FF games on your first time through did you have to retry a boss fight and drastically alter your strategy in order to win? Most players had to do so at least once in FFT (thank you, Wiegraf).