PDA

View Full Version : MK: Rebirth, Legacy, & 2013

Mercen-X
08-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Obvious enough. Discuss your take on the web series Legacy, the pitch Rebirth, and the tbc 2013 laf.

The concept of Kevin Tancharoen's Rebirth intrigued me as I've never been a particular fan of the multidimensional aspect of MK. I was drawn to watch when hearing the idea of Reptile being a victim of disease and deformity rather than an outright otherworldly creature. I was especially pleased with the take on Baraka's "background" as a plastic surgeon. No hint was given as to Reptile's fighting capacity but neither was explanation offered as to Baraka's fighting ability. Surgically implanting blades into forearms does not a warrior make. The look wasn't great either. I was able to picture a far more convincing Baraka in my head who retained surgical self-mutilations to his face. The dual-layered blade installation is the only way I can imagine a two-foot blade to be able to sheathe into an at most 13" forearm, but they still looked awkward. Then again, one could imagine the blade retracts and then protrudes out past the elbows, not only meaning it's never fully sheathed but giving Baraka an elbow weapon in combat.

In Legacy, Baraka returned to his Tarkatan roots as K-Tan decided to give MK it's multidimensional quirk back. The tarkatans in Legacy looked more like giant rats than fear-inducing demons. I did not like Shao Kahn either. When I first heard of Rebirth's Baraka, I instantly pictured how his self-mutilation could be transferred onto Mileena, making her Dark Knight's Joker-esque. I wouldn't say I disapprove of Legacy's take on her character though. Kitana's Sindel soul-infusion made me-"What?"
I whole-heartedly approve of he casting of Sonya, Jax, Kano, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, and Raiden. I'm not sure how I feel about Raiden's nature; as I've stated already, I'm not the biggest fan of MK dimensions, but I can't think of another way to allow Raiden electrical attacks unless you give him a frickin' taser. Still, the concept of Raiden merely being a mortal who can endure insane amounts of electricity coursing through his body (as opposed to being able to utilitize it) would make for an interesting character in my book. I didn't really like seeing Quan Chi and I'm a little wary of the choice of actor for Shang Tsung.

Obviously, as the 2013 film is still in development (probably still being written), we can only speculate or make suggestions.
Somebody has put up some cast suggestions on IMDb here: Casting Mortal Kombat (http://www.imdb.com/list/Q1NnSN_lowg/)

Arizona Lively
08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Can I play?

Mercen-X
08-13-2012, 09:07 PM
Can I play?

Uh, sure, the goal though is to discuss MK: Rebirth, Legacy, or the upcoming Mortal Kombat film.

Arizona Lively
08-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Okay. What are Rebirth and Legacy?

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 12:38 AM
If you type in Mortal Kombat Rebirth on Youtube, you'll be shown an eight minute clip that was meant as a teaser trailer and pitch for a potential movie by Kevin Tancharoen. If you type in Mortal Kombat Legacy, you'll be able to watch a 10-episode Mortal Kombat miniseries, the longest episode about 13 minutes.
A film inspired by the series and written and directed by Tancharoen and starring Michael Jai White and Scott Adkins.

ReloadPsi
08-15-2012, 06:34 PM
I hated Rebirth and the concept of trying to reboot the franchise by removing the otherworldly stuff and replacing it with "realism." Ed Boon said in the Making of MK3 documentary that he doesn't want realism.

I'm glad Legacy stuck more to the game's... thing. If you don't like the otherworldly aspects of a franchise, nobody's making you be a fan of it.

Mercen-X
08-16-2012, 05:43 PM
I can get along with the whole Earthrealm and Outworld thing. But then you toss in Netherrealm, Orderrealm, Chaosrealm... I mean, for one thing, it sounds like the creators aren't even trying.