PDA

View Full Version : Giving Gifts

Shorty
08-10-2012, 07:14 PM
I am pretty terrible at thoughtfully finding gifts for someone that I'm not absurdly close to, but I've worked with some people that are phenomenal gift-givers, even for people they don't really know.

How do you consider getting gifts for people that you know for holidays, birthdays, etc? Is there a one go-to thing you usually can get for a certain person or do you have to do some digging around? Are you generally clueless or are you a master gift-giver?

Additionally, do you have a certain interest that people can usually find a gift that is related to? I've made it pretty easy for my family/besties. Everyone knows to get me cephalopod anything and I'll be happy.

Pike
08-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Huxley and I just give each other games, so that's pretty easy.

For other people... I'm that person who always ends up getting someone a duplicate gift so now I just stick with things like gift cards.

Sephex
08-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I shoot for general interests and/or things that are functional/useful. However, I doing get all weird if someone straight up asks for something. Especially around Christmas. It makes Santa's life easier.

Jinx
08-10-2012, 07:37 PM
bath sets, candles, and earrings for women

ties, condoms, and guns for men

Faris
08-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Unless something comes to mind (which it seldom does), I have to window shop until the "ah-ha! This reminds me of _____" moment occurs.

NorthernChaosGod
08-10-2012, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty good with my immediate family and my closest circle of friends, other than that I just go pretty generic and suck at it.

Jiro
08-11-2012, 01:50 AM
My friends and I have this unspoken understanding that we will show up to each other's parties and what not but gifts are unnecessary. So I bring chocolate or summat. Close friends like Timekeeper and family etc is a little bit different and that's where my true inability to get good gifts comes swinging home.

Raistlin
08-11-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm terrible at putting thought into gifts. Most of my immediate family gets gift cards, except for my dad who gets vodka. My best friend gets gag gifts. I don't really buy regular gifts for anyone else.

Shauna
08-11-2012, 07:19 PM
I generally have no idea what kinds of gifts to give people. I sometimes have epiphanies and know exactly what to get someone, but usually I end up asking if there's anything in particular they would like.

Actually, thinking about it a little, I seem to be alright with buying gifts for most people. Just not Matt. xD I seem to have the worst time when it comes to buying him gifts. I think I'll be alright this year, but for the past few I've often been completely at a loss of what to get him.

Jowy
08-12-2012, 06:08 AM
I love being able to snap up things that I know my friends will appreciate. It's usually very unexpected and heartwarming.

And plus, good gift-giving idea. If you're ever at a memorabilia shop, grab a random celebrity autograph. Certainly not anyone recognizable. Few months back I got my buddy an autographed headshot of David Faustino during the 90s. She never took it off of her desk.