PDA

View Full Version : so im sat here

Zeldy
08-11-2012, 09:13 PM
and ive been sat here for about 9 hours now. 2 cans of energy drink down, my caffeine fueled sociological epiphany has run dry. I just opened my last packet of fruit pastels and they burst everywhere so I'm surrounded by pastels on the floor.

So tell me EoFF; what's the longest you've lived in the University (College, for you yanks) library in order to get work in? I forsee a few more painstaking hours.

If anyone's interested, I'm attempting to explain the correlation between rates of violence and the social construction of masculinity.

Shauna
08-11-2012, 09:15 PM
I went to my uni library once a year, and spent at most 30 minutes in there at a time. I was the best student.

Quindiana Jones
08-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Somewhere between 15 and 20 hours.

Zeldy
08-11-2012, 09:40 PM
The longest for me personally, was once I stayed like 2am in the 24-hour building here. I was incredibly wired on pro-plus and energy drinks, had a blistering headache as a result, but soldiered on. It got down to just myself and one other guy, and I couldn't let him win. When he finally logged off his computer and left, I joyfully left. Everywhere was closed, so I had to scale the back fence in order to get home.

Parker
08-11-2012, 10:49 PM
Once spent about 20 hours in cardiff uni library. it was really peaceful and beat doing work in my dorm

recently i was at home doing a last minute coursework. gave up at 3am, napped, caught a 5am train for my two hour commute, then drank a shitload of coffee and energy drinks from 2am to the 3pm deadline. got the work in tho, and even got a good grade. almost died tho

Zeldy
08-11-2012, 10:53 PM
It's 10pm here and I've finally come home, essay completed 2,480 words or so. I plan to return tomorrow at about 7am to commence essay number two, which will see me explain how people use social networking sites in order to portray a new sense of identity. I'm down for an 8 hour shift too, which no one can cover unfortunately. Ive then got a 6,000 word portfolio (which, luckily, im half way through) on sexuality to complete by 4pm Monday, as is the other. I need to sort my life out..

Shlup
08-12-2012, 01:18 AM
I think I walked through my college library once. I did all my schoolwork from home.

Pike
08-12-2012, 01:46 AM
You know it's been so long since I've been in school that I honestly can't remember.

I mean, there were times when I was on campus from 8am through 10pm, but it wasn't always straight studying.

I do recall a couple of days where I had senior projects going on from morning until like 3am. So maybe that.

Trumpet Thief
08-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Probably 5/6 hours? I had a really huge gap between a morning class and an evening class, so I decided to stay on campus a few times.

Aside from that, I prefer studying at home. Even when I'm study with someone else, it doesn't usually last longer than 3/4 hours.

fire_of_avalon
08-12-2012, 06:56 AM
I worked in the library as well as studied there so I know I was somedays for 15 or so hours. Never stayed all night long, though.

Jiro
08-12-2012, 07:58 AM
I once took a nap in our library.

Shorty
08-12-2012, 08:53 AM
I went to my high school library to sleep in the giant beanbags. Never did any studying, though.

I Took the Red Pill
08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
About 20 hours at the end of the semester. I had a Cryptography class in which I had a final paper due, a take-home final to finish, and an in-class final the next day to study for. I did it all at the last minute, and with no sleep rolled into the in-class final. It was my own fault for procrastinating. Those were greasy, stubble-filled times. I think I drank enough coffee to raise the GDP of Colombia by 1% that night.

Jinx
08-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Never, because I don't need to study.

I start school in 9 days, though, so we'll see what happens then.

Hollycat
08-13-2012, 03:50 AM
UNT had a library?

Shiny
08-13-2012, 05:09 AM
Senior year of uni it was a good 24 hours. I was in one of the Pro Tools labs for the Computer Animation building finishing up the sound mix for one of my thesis projects. My friends were nice enough to sneak food and caffeine in for me. Then after that it was about 10 hours each day that week before the deadline. I'd only go out to take a shower at my friend's dorm and get food if I couldn't sneak it in the lab.

escobert
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
When I was in college I avoided the library like the plague. That's probably why I dropped out after a semester..

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2012, 04:14 AM
I do all my homework at home. I've only spent time in the library to dick around on the computers in between classes.

Tigmafuzz
08-14-2012, 05:23 AM
I've only spent time in the library to dick around on the computers in between classes.

Jeez man, watch where you put that thing. Those computers are public.

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2012, 08:32 AM
I do what I want.

Loony BoB
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
I never went to University. Waitakere College is a high school in NZ and I occasionally would spend a few hours studying with people there, but mostly I was training the other person rather than educating myself. It was a good way to revise, though, really, as it drummed things into my head when teaching someone else.

I've never failed an exam that counted, and that's mostly down to doing my work on time. Assignments are a different story - I hate assignments. I usually managed them on the last 2-3 nights by sitting on my computer at home, though, rather than in a library.

Jiro
08-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Does that mean BoB is the least educated person on the forum? :eek:

Quindiana Jones
08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Well, he's from New Zealand.

So yes.

milliegoesbeep
08-15-2012, 10:14 AM
I've spent about 36 hours in a library. It was mainly because I was stupid and left my assignment until the last moment.

Jinx
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I never went to University. Waitakere College is a high school in NZ and I occasionally would spend a few hours studying with people there, but mostly I was training the other person rather than educating myself. It was a good way to revise, though, really, as it drummed things into my head when teaching someone else.

I've never failed an exam that counted, and that's mostly down to doing my work on time. Assignments are a different story - I hate assignments. I usually managed them on the last 2-3 nights by sitting on my computer at home, though, rather than in a library.

And here I thought BoB was a stuffy, old codger.

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-15-2012, 02:07 PM
I hate working in a library. Great for books and resources but I always preferred my own home. Sometimes I need silence other times I need noise and I go between the two rather quickly.

Loony BoB
08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Does that mean BoB is the least educated person on the forum? :eek:
I would answer this but unfortunately I did not take on "higher education" after finishing my time at high school and therefore I am unable to answer any question accurately.

As for Quin... OECD education rankings puts NZ 7th, Aussie 9th, USA 17th and UK... 25th. =o China (Shanghai), Korea, Finland, Hong Kong, Singapore and Canada top the list. Although that list is from 2010, I can't find the 2011 or 2012 listings on OECD (but then, half their pages are blocked at my work for some stupid reason).

KentaRawr!
08-15-2012, 08:59 PM
Last quarter I would always stay in the library from when classes finish to when my bus would be nearing, so basically every day for 3 to 4 hours. That's the longest I've stuck in a library! :P

Jiro
08-15-2012, 11:39 PM
Loony BoB just in case you think I am actually insulting your intelligence: I think everyone is well aware that higher education does not equal intelligence levels!! Additionally, NZ's place as the superior nation is already confirmed through half a dozen different measurements, so no need to remind us! But life is our greatest teacher and because you are old, you have no doubt received more education than I!

Quindiana Jones
08-16-2012, 10:37 PM
The colonial savage responded but I couldn't understand his uncivilised tongue. 36746

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
For homework, I'd use about an hour between classes, then I'd head over to the internet-capable comps and talk to y'alls. Or I'd make fake pictures of a buttcrack and post them to myspace. "Can you tell me what this is?" Funny, how often people could guess the right answer.