PDA

View Full Version : Things to do during FFX cutscenes

ReloadPsi
08-13-2012, 01:03 AM
It's no secret that I hate FFX's cutscenes, and the sheer volume of times when characters just stand around and talk, awkwardly dubbed, constantly pausing because of differences in English and Japanese sentence structure, very mixed quality voice acting that you'd have to be an egregiously obsessed sycophant to enjoy, and giving nary an option to skip any of this crap, especially annoying if it's on, say, a second playthrough where you'd frankly like to be able to just put a bowl on your action button with turbo fire on like you could with earlier games, you'll find yourself needing to go and do something else while you wait for the game you paid for to actually allow you to play the bastard thing again. That was ultimately the real deal-breaker for me as to whether I'll ever touch this game again because these crappy cutscenes murder the game's replay value. By the way that first sentence was really long and I hope you didn't try to read it out loud.

As it happened I did manage to force a second playthrough out of myself about five years ago as I had been accused yet again of not "giving the game a chance" and was, at the time, 'spergy enough to care what people thought of me for not playing a crap game, and as such some hardcore multitasking was necessary, so I started a thread with pretty much this exact title to canvas for suggestions.

So, since I've yet to hear anything on whether FFX HD's cutscenes have a skip function, let's prepare for such an eventuality as "no" (in which case you know what I won't be playing) and start this up again since necroposting in five year-old threads is so frowned upon in these parts!

1. Pull your portable TV out of the attic, plug the PS2 into it and play another game on your now-vacated gaming screen, checking occasionally to see if you're allowed to play yet.
2. Watch a DVD on your computer (or main TV while the PS2's in the spare, if you got one).
3. Read a book.
4. Do your homework.
5. Transcribe the entire script by hand. There's enough time; they speak slowly enough.
6. Practice on whatever musical instrument you play.
7. Fix that annoying rattling noise in your computer's fan.
8. Do some housekeeping on your hard drive, deleting old files and such.
9. Cook dinner. (I actually did this one. I forget what point in the game, somewhere around Guadosalam I think, not sure, I went and cooked a meal from scratch while the characters were talking. I came back with a delicious pasta meal and they were still chattering.)
10. Argue with your housemates.
11. Watch Spoony's FFX review.
12. Write some more of that novel you've been working on.
13. Write angry fanfiction about your least favourite character from the game dying a grizzly death. Remember, it's spelled T-I-D-U-S.
14. Search eBay for parts for your next Hallowe'en costume.
15. Look online for an un-dub patch for the game.

Like on that day, five years ago, contribute guys! Don't forget to number them! "Actually watch the cutscene" was done last time by the way. It wasn't funny then either. It was just depressing.

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 07:03 AM
16. Rampage.

Jiro
08-14-2012, 04:16 AM
17. Make a few threads on EoFF.

Gamblet
08-15-2012, 01:15 AM
18. Poo in your pants and change the diaper

Tigmafuzz
08-15-2012, 02:21 AM
19. get a better game than FFX

Quindiana Jones
08-16-2012, 11:33 PM
20. It's simple; kill the Batman.

Gamblet
08-17-2012, 12:56 AM
21. Watch Twilight

Goldenboko
08-17-2012, 04:02 AM
22. Appreciate the good fucking game in front of you. :colbert:

ReloadPsi
08-17-2012, 03:04 PM
22. Appreciate the good smurfing game in front of you. :colbert:

Not everyone keeps their other games on the same shelf as their TV and console. Mine are actually on a shelf at the other end of the room, so I can't do that.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 08:25 AM
23. Play a round of Klingon Boggle.

Gamblet
08-18-2012, 12:38 PM
24. Play a game of soggy waffles.

DMKA
08-18-2012, 11:23 PM
21. Watch Twilight

It's one thing to dislike FFX, but that's just mean. ;__;

Tigmafuzz
07-15-2022, 03:44 AM
25. Revive a ten year old thread, Christmas style.

Quindiana Jones
07-16-2022, 12:03 AM
26. Successfully complete 7 back to back wanks.

Dr. Acula
07-17-2022, 09:01 AM
27. Catch up on all of Quin's shitposts.

Christmas
07-17-2022, 11:51 AM
5214. You walk around topless and drunk abusing your son.