PDA

View Full Version : Self-esteem

Pike
08-13-2012, 01:23 AM
[18:20:02] Pike says: Need a daily thread idea :o
[18:20:06] Huxley says: :o
[18:20:39] Huxley says: Talk about how sexy, handsome, witty, funny, gorgeous, stylish, and most of all intelligent your boyfriend is :O
[18:20:52] Pike says: Okay!
[18:21:06] Huxley says: Excellent, a thread about ridiculous lies~

I disagree with his assessment that it's a lie, but he won't have any of it! I can sort of understand, though, because my own self-esteem is pretty abysmal.

How about yours? Do you think you're a pretty okay person overall?

Shlup
08-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Meh, I don't hate me.

Jiro
08-13-2012, 01:39 AM
Sure. I'm super gr8 m8. :jiro:

Sephex
08-13-2012, 02:01 AM
I have trouble with self-esteem, but I am not nearly as bad as I used to be years ago. Overall, I say that I am a positive person these days!

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 02:05 AM
If I weren't me, I would punch me in the face.

Because I'm just too handsome.

escobert
08-13-2012, 02:35 AM
I have trouble with self-esteem, but I am not nearly as bad as I used to be years ago. Overall, I say that I am a positive person these days!

this.

fire_of_avalon
08-13-2012, 02:50 AM
I think I'm fairly realistic about how much I suck. :D

Sincerely though, I'm well aware of my good attributes and bad. I'm disappointed in a few things about myself - and I should be because I failed. But I'm also able to give myself credit when I do something well.

Markus. D
08-13-2012, 04:24 AM
Very low, I just wing off the way I look as abominable, and still believe that when flawless people subtly make out with me tell me otherwise. Even compliments from friends, I just ... ugh I hate everything I represent and how poorly I represent it.

Shiny
08-13-2012, 04:49 AM
It's weird, but alot of my self-esteem has to do with how good of a hair day I'm having.

Freya
08-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Well i'm pretty much awesome so there's that. I've never had too much of a self esteem issue. I mean I have my times of it being low much like everyone else. I use to be pretty bad but now I'm much more meh about things.

Faris
08-13-2012, 06:51 AM
Similar to Sephex, I'm not as bad as I used to be and try to practice more optimism than pessimism. Due to my low self esteem, I try my best to be modest and distract my mind when my mood is low.

Basically, I deal with it and keep people away who fuel it.

Trumpet Thief
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
It's weird, but alot of my self-esteem has to do with how good of a hair day I'm having.

This.

Clo
08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
I'm an antagonistic conceited bitch.

Shauna
08-13-2012, 11:42 AM
Similar to Sephex, I'm not as bad as I used to be and try to practice more optimism than pessimism. Due to my low self esteem, I try my best to be modest and distract my mind when my mood is low.

Basically, I deal with it and keep people away who fuel it.

Pretty much this, except instead of being modest, I faux-ego up and just act like a tool. :p

Pumpkin
08-13-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't have the greatest self-esteem, but I am getting better. I used to think when someone was calling me pretty that they were being sarcastic, but now I actually consider myself pretty. Really depends on the day. Some days I have more self-esteem than others.

Rantz
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I may be dumb, but I'm not a dweeb. I'm just a sucker with no self esteem.

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure how to spell the line after that, Rantz.

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I have my good days and bad days. Right now I'm on a post break-up "I am fucking awesome and no one can tell me different" high.

Criminally Vulgar
08-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm too materialistic and neurotic to have self esteem.

Araciel
08-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm a million times as humble as thou art.

Psychotic
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm not sure how to spell the line after that, Rantz.Oh way oh yeah. Yeah-heah-heah. Oh yeah. Yeah.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-13-2012, 06:27 PM
I hate to admit this but ever since I was a teen i have had many issues with my self-esteem. It's an on and off battle with me.

Shorty
08-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Most of my self-esteem is tied to my physical appearance (see: vanity). Some days I'm like "damn I look good" and other days I imagine foaface calling me a bush hag in my brain.

Laddy
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Nope.

fire_of_avalon
08-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Most of my self-esteem is tied to my physical appearance (see: vanity). Some days I'm like "damn I look good" and other days I imagine foaface calling me a bush hag in my brain.
You are the opposite of a Bush Hag, which I guess must be Prince Edward. I am a bush hag.

Zeldy
08-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I have my good days and bad days. Right now I'm on a post break-up "I am smurfing awesome and no one can tell me different" high.

This, except I'm not on the smurfing awesome high from a break-up, more an 'I'm going to be a cat lady' low from a break-up, no big deal though

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm fucking amazing.

Sephex
08-14-2012, 04:01 AM
I'm fucking amazing.

C'mon, man. You need to cheer up and truly believe in yourself!

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm not sure how to spell the line after that, Rantz.Oh way oh yeah. Yeah-heah-heah. Oh yeah. Yeah.

Ah, that's the one!

Shorty
08-14-2012, 06:43 AM

No shut up, BUSH HAGS UNITE

Pike
08-14-2012, 10:31 AM
With me I don't think it's that I hate myself, so much as I think "yeah I'm pretty awesome, but everyone else is even MORE awesome."

So yeah.

Loony BoB
08-14-2012, 02:00 PM
I kind of just stopped giving a crap. I mean, I don't have any major problems with me. Could I be better? Yeah, probably, in some way or another. But I'm not out there to be Mr. Perfect and I prefer being the person I am rather than being the person that social norms suggest I should be.

Basically, I grew up.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that I don't like to show off how terrible I am at things. This limits my willingness to get involved in multiplayer games that require you to repeatedly do the same thing over and over in order to compete with the 'best' (or as I think of them: 'the people who spent the most time and effort figuring it out').

Shiny
08-15-2012, 07:40 AM
I kind of just stopped giving a crap. I mean, I don't have any major problems with me. Could I be better? Yeah, probably, in some way or another. But I'm not out there to be Mr. Perfect and I prefer being the person I am rather than being the person that social norms suggest I should be.

Basically, I grew up.

EDIT: One thing I will say is that I don't like to show off how terrible I am at things. This limits my willingness to get involved in multiplayer games that require you to repeatedly do the same thing over and over in order to compete with the 'best' (or as I think of them: 'the people who spent the most time and effort figuring it out').
I'm the same way. That's why I stopped playing Halo, but also cba to keep downloading new maps. I have only a few things where I intend to strive at and will if I haven't already, but if they aren't things I'm passionate about I don't prioritize the effort I put into them.

Jiro
08-15-2012, 11:20 PM
You can still be baller at Halo even without knowing where shit is.

NorthernChaosGod
08-16-2012, 01:00 AM
It helps though.

Pike
08-16-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm good at Halo as long as I've got the tank.

True story: When I played multiplayer on Blood Gulch back in the day people used to take the tank before I could and stuff it into some crack in the wall so I couldn't get it.

Iceglow
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm pretty much reliant on my high self esteem. I don't take much shit from anybody and I don't give a rats ass about who knows that I think highly of myself. I was made to feel at the lowest a human can possibly ever get and I refuse to ever feel that way again and if people think I'm arrogant because I know I'm a moderately attractive guy with way more charm than most and a suave sophistication that means I can walk in to a club and hit on the hottest girl in the room without a care in the god damn world about her saying no, because if she does I'm still likely to walk away with a girl who is better than average. Then so be it. Frankly I don't give a fuck what you think because I can't hear you over the sound of just how freaking awesome I am. Those who actually take time to get to know me realize that whilst I can appear arrogant at first I'm genuinely not the type for it, I know I have flaws and failings but I accept them and move on.

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm good at Halo as long as I've got the tank.

True story: When I played multiplayer on Blood Gulch back in the day people used to take the tank before I could and stuff it into some crack in the wall so I couldn't get it.

Bahahahaha. Poor, Pike. :(

Clo
08-18-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty much reliant on my high self esteem.

Well, that's honest of you. It's not the best way to get girls, but it's honest.

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 03:06 PM

Well, that's honest of you. It's not the best way to get girls, but it's honest.

I disagree. Most women respond well to my attitude. The fact that I consider myself worthwhile is appealing to them, to put it in the words of a girl I met recently; It makes them feel that if I value myself and and yet showed them interest means that I hold them in relative esteem compared to myself. I'd agree with her, I have to think highly of anyone I would consider for a relationship because I couldn't bring myself to bother with someone I didn't think of at least as highly as I think of myself.

Cuchulainn
08-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Steve I'm sorry I simply cannot believe that you're some Cockney Fonz. You are at best a sitcom comedy grotesque with absolutely no self awareness. However if it works it works. knock yerself out. I might move to London meself, I mean if a leather-clad eyebrow with an underbite can get women in their droves, I reackon I'm in with a chance.

I'm a very shy, retiring character with massive self esteem issues. I feel Hux's pain.

Shiny
08-18-2012, 03:13 PM
Confidence is fine and dandy, but I'd take someone with more modesty over an arrogant sod any day. Awesome people are awesome because they don't know all the reasons why they're awesome—they just are.

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 04:06 PM
Steve I'm sorry I simply cannot believe that you're some Cockney Fonz. You are at best a sitcom comedy grotesque with absolutely no self awareness. However if it works it works. knock yerself out. I might move to London meself, I mean if a leather-clad eyebrow with an underbite can get women in their droves, I reackon I'm in with a chance.

I'm a very shy, retiring character with massive self esteem issues. I feel Hux's pain.

Hush up boyo you'd only make a fool of yourself in London and you know it. Stick to Ireland and your potatoes :P

Confidence is fine and dandy, but I'd take someone with more modesty over an arrogant sod any day. Awesome people are awesome because they don't know all the reasons why they're awesome—they just are.

I figure this might be somewhat discretely aimed in my direction. I know that at times people assume me to be arrogant because I'm self confident but you can be self confident and yet maintain an honest/modest opinion of yourself. For example knowing you are not the ugliest guy out there doesn't make you arrogant, arrogance would be to say you're the best looking guy out there or one of them regardless of the facts.

Quindiana Jones
08-18-2012, 10:57 PM
In all my conversations with Steve, and the one time I've met him in person, I have never considered Steve to be arrogant. It is not an accurate term for him.

milliegoesbeep
08-19-2012, 12:07 AM
I've always had pretty bad self esteem issues but that sort of goes hand in hand with my personal life. I try to be a good person and I know I'm not the worst, it's more of my psychical attributes I have the most problem with.

Clo
08-19-2012, 11:05 PM

I disagree. Most women respond well to my attitude. The fact that I consider myself worthwhile is appealing to them, to put it in the words of a girl I met recently; It makes them feel that if I value myself and and yet showed them interest means that I hold them in relative esteem compared to myself. I'd agree with her, I have to think highly of anyone I would consider for a relationship because I couldn't bring myself to bother with someone I didn't think of at least as highly as I think of myself.

I'm sure you are a ladykiller. Justify it to me some more!

Shiny
08-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I figure this might be somewhat discretely aimed in my direction. I know that at times people assume me to be arrogant because I'm self confident but you can be self confident and yet maintain an honest/modest opinion of yourself. For example knowing you are not the ugliest guy out there doesn't make you arrogant, arrogance would be to say you're the best looking guy out there or one of them regardless of the facts.
It actually wasn't. Not everything is about you y'know.

Quindiana Jones
08-20-2012, 08:44 AM
Not everything is immediately about him, sure, but sooner or later, everything boils down to Iceglow.

Criminally Vulgar
08-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Frankly I don't give a smurf what you think because I can't hear you over the sound of just how freaking awesome I am.
Frame it.

Tigmafuzz
08-23-2012, 09:17 PM
"You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you, but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get."

Have any of you seen the episode of Penn & Teller's Bullshit where they talk about self-esteem? I don't agree with all of it, but there are some good points made.

Mercen-X
08-25-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm okay. I like me. I'm not horrible. I love me. I want me. I hate me. I think I'm disgusting. I need a hug. I'm awesome. I'm stupid. I'm f-ing brilliant. I'm right. I'm a pig. I'm a lech. I'm a player... no I'm not. I need a snack. I need exercise. Suck in that gut! I need a shower. No, I just showered last week. No one likes me. Some people do. Nobody hates me. No one I know. I just can't talk to people. I can talk, I just don't trust people to listen. I know they'll listen... to every stupid and pathetic thing that comes out of the trashbin I call a mouth. I have bad breath, I should brush my teeth. Eh, there's nothing noticeable in my teeth. I'm so dirty. I'm a saint. You are beneath me. Don't hurt me. I'm sorry. I'm a liar. I'm funny. I'm honest. I insult people. The world has enough of me. The world needs more of me.

I'm pretty sure that tells you what you need to know.

EDIT: When I first posted this, I went back to change some spelling and missing words and when I looked back (and the "Edited" text was showing) it just looked like I had gone back to make it longer.

Christmas
08-03-2022, 05:23 AM
I sold it all when I entered the ugly world of the adults. :(

Mr Gashtacular
08-03-2022, 09:28 AM

:ohdear: