I'll start: Limp Bizkit.

Madame Adequate
08-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Linkin Park.

Pike
08-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Linkin Park.

:( I went through that phase as well.

Also Evanescence. COME ON I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WE ALL THOUGHT "MY IMMORTAL" WAS DESCRIBING OUR LIFE

Jinx
08-13-2012, 06:33 PM
I hate to admit this but

Nickelback.

Raistlin
08-13-2012, 06:35 PM
When I saw this thread title, Limp Bizkit immediately sprung to mind. It was so popular when I was in middle school that I was caught up, despite not listening to much music at the time outside of car trips.

I'm not sure there was a more terrible popular band when we were young.

Slothy
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Every smurfing band named in this thread so far.

Also, Korn. Maybe not as terrible as the others mentioned from what I remember, but still pretty representative of a lot of what I've grown to hate in music.

Also, also: Disturbed.

Sephex
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Never considered myself a fan of them, but I am also guilty of willingly listening to Limp Bizkit.

Oh god, Coal Chamber. I just remembered. What the **** was I thinking?

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park.

But I still like a couple of their songs. My family still loves Limp Bizkit. Especially my mom. Korn I actually like more than I used to. I hated it because my parents loved it but now it's like "oh hey actually it's not so bad." Still not enough to plop it into my iPod, but I'll turn the radio way up when it comes on.

Shorty
08-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Newfound Glory. Ugh.

Clo
08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Bowling for Soup.

Rantz
08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Limp Bizkit.

Linkin Park.

Evanescence.

Korn

I still willingly listen to stray songs by all of these. I have no regrets!

Madame Adequate
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
I legitimately still like some of Korn's stuff.

Pike
08-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Guys, guys, I thought of another one.

System of a Down.

I DON'T THINK YOU TRUST IN MY SELF-RIGHTEOUS SUICIDE
I CRY WHEN ANGELS DESERVE TO DIIIIIIIIIIIIIE

Remember when we thought that was the best lyric ever?

Jessweeee♪
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Okay these aren't terrible bands you listened to when you were younger these are just bands you listened to when you were younger that you don't anymore!

Madame Adequate
08-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Ahahahahaha oh man xDD

I still like them, too

Also, Slipknot. Oh man listening to them and thinking you're FULL REBEL SCREW YOU SOCIETY!

Pike
08-13-2012, 08:14 PM
GUYS

GUYS

MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE

Clo
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM

System of a Down.

:stare:

I still listen to System of a Down. Pretty often.

The Man
08-13-2012, 08:40 PM

System of a Down.

:stare:

I still listen to System of a Down. Pretty often.
^. Plus they're not anywhere near the same level of awfulness as most of the bands mentioned in this thread. Limp Bizkit? Linkin Park? Yeah, those suck. System of a Down? Actually not bad. Even if some of their lyrics are awful.

Slothy
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Yeah, some of SoaD's lyrics are terrible. Some of their songs are outright terrible. But a lot, I might even dare to say most, of their music is pretty damn awesome.

Clo
08-13-2012, 08:46 PM
Their lyrics are not really the point. Vicinity of Obscenity is about whacking off onto a whore's feet. Clearly they're not going for depth.

Raistlin
08-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I will also stick up for System of a Down -- though I prefer their stuff where they actually try to sound like real metal music ("Aerials" remains awesome). They are far from objectively terrible (Limp Bizkit, Nickelback).

EDIT: I'll say the same about Disturbed, and even Korn and Evanescence.

Mirage
08-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I thought I could type something like

"None of the bands listed so far, and that makes me feel awesome."

But then someone mentioned system of a down. Though I don't really think they're that bad even today. I doubt I would mind listening to Aerials again. Maybe I should try...

Pike
08-14-2012, 12:12 AM
Okay, I was a bit harsh on SoaD. I apologize for putting them in the same thread as Limp Bizkit/Linkin Park.

Agent Proto
08-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Terrible bands I listened to when I was young and stupid?

Garbage. Not necessarily terrible. Just mostly like the name suggests.

Shorty
08-14-2012, 12:20 AM
Oh shit, I just remembered I listened to Taking Back Sunday.

Freya
08-14-2012, 12:46 AM
Disturbed, linkin park, evanescence,

Avirl Lavigne HE WAS A SK8ER BOI SHE SAID SEE YOU LATER BOY HE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH FOR HER. It spoke to me and my non skater ways.

Pheesh
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Pike, all the bands you've mentioned are still better than the 80's music you listen to now >_<

I listened to Five. Top that.

Goldenboko
08-14-2012, 02:41 AM

System of a Down.

:colbert:

Jiro
08-14-2012, 03:34 AM
You people must be some kind of fucking music snobs. Every time we have threads like this I have to run and hide in "shame" because I still listen to half if not all of the shit listed. Get off your high horse and just listen to w/e makes you feel good. Goddamn.

DMKA
08-14-2012, 05:28 AM
I actually still listen to most of the music I listened to when I was growing up.

You see, I just don't give a crap about supposed artistic merit or what people think of the music I listen to. Music is entertainment, and I'm an adult. If I like the way it sounds, I listen to it, and if it bores me, I don't.

I pity the man who deprives himself of potential entertainment or subjects himself to music that isn't based upon some ridiculous notion that it matters how the music was made or how other people view it's aesthetic legitimacy.

Raistlin
08-14-2012, 05:53 AM
I think you're making a baseless assumption about people in this thread, that if their taste in music changed it can only be because of some sort of peer pressure -- or that for some other reason, they don't already listen to whatever they personally like. I don't give a crap about what other people think of my music or perceived "artistic merit" and I certainly would never deprive myself of any entertainment because of others' perception. But there is a very rare category of music that is so trite, so grating, so repetitive, so lacking in creative merit that I can have no respect for the artists' ability -- which I do have for the vast majority of music that I simply do not like. Limp Bizkit falls into that category, as well as a lot of Nickelback. Most of the other music in this thread does not, even if I'm not a fan (such as with Linkin Park and Korn).

Jiro
08-14-2012, 06:09 AM
My girlfriend epitomises this problem for me. I played her a song by some band (I forget which) and she really enjoyed it. When I told her who it was by, she instantly hated it. No. That's an unacceptable way to view music. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Rantz
08-14-2012, 08:08 AM
Oh, I have a good one, though.

S Club 7.

Criminally Vulgar
08-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Terrible bands I listened to when I was young and stupid?

Garbage. Not necessarily terrible. Just mostly like the name suggests.

Right that's it.

Nobody knows what they're talking about.

Pike
08-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Pike, all the bands you've mentioned are still better than the 80's music you listen to now >_<

Incorrect! 80s music is the best kind of music and only hipsters deny it!

You people must be some kind of smurfing music snobs. Every time we have threads like this I have to run and hide in "shame" because I still listen to half if not all of the tit listed. Get off your high horse and just listen to w/e makes you feel good. Goddamn.

I actually still listen to most of the music I listened to when I was growing up.

You see, I just don't give a crap about supposed artistic merit or what people think of the music I listen to. Music is entertainment, and I'm an adult. If I like the way it sounds, I listen to it, and if it bores me, I don't.

I pity the man who deprives himself of potential entertainment or subjects himself to music that isn't based upon some ridiculous notion that it matters how the music was made or how other people view it's aesthetic legitimacy.

It's largely a joke thread, relax guys. You're talking to someone who these days listens to nothing but terrible 90s pop and 80s new wave that usually makes it to "worst of" lists. You all are preaching to the choir.

Also I feel offended that I'm getting lumped in with music snobs here

Pheesh
08-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Only hipsters listen to it because it's "so bad that it's good, in a totally noncommercial way..." or something. They all own the first bootlegged video recordings of 80's bands and watch them on their beta-max.

NeoCracker
08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
I quite like Linkin Park and Evanescence. :p

For me, Back Street Boys. I loved the hell out of them when I was younger, and was the only music I listened to other then Oldies and Weird Al. :p

I thank the year of 2005, one year after the surge of Alternative Rock on the US Popcharts (Like The Killers First album, Franz Ferdinand, and Jet), since that's when I finally gave those bands a chance. And I love them. <3 (Well, the Killers First album at least, not so much the later ones.)

Loony BoB
08-14-2012, 01:48 PM
smurf you guys, I listened to N'Sync. Top that tit.

In all honesty, though, I can listen to anything that isn't death metal and doesn't insult my beliefs/race/whatever and enjoy it. I still have a song by N'Sync on my PC somewhere.

NeoCracker
08-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Fuck you guys, I listened to N'sync. Top that shit.

I still enjoy Pop when I hear it. XD

Loony BoB
08-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Also, to whoever mentioned Five (I presume you mean 5ive!), that is nothing to be ashamed of, in fact, that is something you should say proudly while beating your manly chest. 5ive 5or li5e! Or... something. Either way, I love Keep On Movin' in particular, it is fantastic for karaoke.

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Britney Spears, bitches.

Maaaaybe she's luuuuucky, that Hollywood guuuurrrrrl!

NeoCracker
08-14-2012, 03:02 PM
Britney Spears, bitches.

Maaaaybe she's luuuuucky, that Hollywood guuuurrrrrl!

God I loved the fuck out of that song when it came out. XD

She's a lucky, she's a star~

Old Manus
08-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Level 42

Madame Adequate
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM

Only hipsters listen to it because it's "so bad that it's good, in a totally noncommercial way..." or something. They all own the first bootlegged video recordings of 80's bands and watch them on their beta-max.

No it's actually hipsters and people born after the year 1990 (i.e. who should be executed for being too young) who dislike 80s music because 80s music is actually the best music and that is scientific fact confirmed by MIT, Caltech, Cambridge, and recently demonstrated at CERN.

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Bwahaha. Saved.

GhandiOwnsYou
08-14-2012, 06:31 PM
I payed money for a Shaggy CD. Money. The shame.

Clo
08-14-2012, 07:03 PM
Bahaha. Shaggy. I love him.

NorthernChaosGod
08-14-2012, 07:19 PM
I still listen to SoaD. :colbert:

System of a Down.

I've lost respect for you.

Pike
08-14-2012, 07:20 PM
None of you guys seem to have noticed my apology on like the very next page :doublecolbert:

I still think that lyric is cheesy as hell

Raistlin
08-14-2012, 07:45 PM
Cheesy lyrics don't bother me. Generally I don't even care about lyrics, to the extent that I can even tolerate most of Linkin Park. Music and vocal quality are much more important to me. A major exception that I can think of (decent sounding song that I can't tolerate because of the lyrics) is Breaking Benjamin's "Diary of Jane," which is so obnoxiously inane and immature that I can't listen to it. And it used to be on the radio way too much.

Slothy
08-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Of course it is. But cheesy lyrics are part of their charm.

And I did notice your apology Pike. :thumbsup:

Clo
08-14-2012, 07:50 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/040/447/Haters_gonna_hate.jpg

Jessweeee♪
08-14-2012, 08:00 PM
I hate eighties music :nonono:

The Man
08-14-2012, 08:54 PM
@topic, I just remembered I bought CDs by New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice. In my defence I was like nine.

Pike
08-14-2012, 10:08 PM
I think I bought a Creed CD at some point.

escobert
08-14-2012, 10:12 PM
Nothing! everything I listened to then is still awesome! But that's because nothing new is any good ;)

Pheesh
08-15-2012, 12:19 AM

No it's actually hipsters and people born after the year 1990 (i.e. who should be executed for being too young) who dislike 80s music because 80s music is actually the best music and that is scientific fact confirmed by MIT, Caltech, Cambridge, and recently demonstrated at CERN.

You're a hipster for saying that.

Pike
08-15-2012, 12:23 AM
I think that's the joke.

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 12:29 AM
I listened to anything played on pop and alternative radio stations. Later down the line, I realized the music really wasn't all that great, I was satisfied listening to anything the minute I was able to memorize the lyrics and sing along. Some of the bands that I listened to that may not have been so great later changed their styles because the style they had originally was just a business ploy (i.e. Beastie Boyz). I'm more willing to listen to those bands now. But the groups I no longer approved of who haven't since changed their style, I don't listen to anymore. One exception being a Third Eye Blind CD I still own. Once a year, I may pull it out for whatever reason.

Jinx
08-15-2012, 02:49 AM
B*Witched

nik0tine
08-15-2012, 04:47 AM
Some of you seem to be having a hard time distinguishing the difference between bad music and bad lyrics.

The Man
08-15-2012, 05:27 AM
I listened to anything played on pop and alternative radio stations. Later down the line, I realized the music really wasn't all that great, I was satisfied listening to anything the minute I was able to memorize the lyrics and sing along. Some of the bands that I listened to that may not have been so great later changed their styles because the style they had originally was just a business ploy (i.e. Beastie Boyz). I'm more willing to listen to those bands now. But the groups I no longer approved of who haven't since changed their style, I don't listen to anymore. One exception being a Third Eye Blind CD I still own. Once a year, I may pull it out for whatever reason.

>beastie boys
>not so great

You take that back now. I hope I'm just misreading your post.

Shiny
08-15-2012, 08:19 AM
I still listen to Linkin Park, Nsync, and Spice Girls. Let me show you how many smurfs I give:0 blue smurfs

milliegoesbeep
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
... Busted *bows head in shame* I WAS TWELVE.

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Beastie Boyz sinking about how brass monkeys and the crappiness of school may have had a place in my life as an angsty teenager, but it serves no purpose to me now as an angsty adult.

When I first heard Linkin Park, I was visiting my cousins and I really didn't think much of their music. But then my cousin is in his own band so, family bias. However, his lead singer started dissing Linkin Park with no real reasons to offer save one. He said they needed to make up their minds about whether they were rock, pop, alternative, or what. For a long time, I hadn't liked this guy. I didn't like his "demonic vocals" because he sounded like an idiot and he really act like a prick a lot of the time. So I started paying attention to Linkin Park. Also Hoobastank.

The Man
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
You do realise they were taking the piss in pretty much all of those songs, right?

Clo
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm going to helpfully chime in that I.... never really liked the Beastie Boys ever.

ReloadPsi
08-15-2012, 06:46 PM
Time for some self-righteousness, ReloadPsi style!

I've liked game soundtracks my entire life and never seemed to care for what the media or my little sister shoved down my throat. It wasn't until years later that Guilty Gear's soundtracks led to me checking out Iron Maiden of all people and realising I'd probably dodged a bullet in terms of a life of liking awful crap.

Saying that, I have a LOT of MP3s of what one would consider terrible songs, largely because I enjoy them in an ironic "haha this song is soooo funneh" way. An occasional listen to Friday provides me with a few minutes of hysterical amusement.

In other words, there were no crap bands I liked in my youth. Some classmates when I returned to college tried to get me into Enter Shikari and U2 though. They failed.

Raistlin
08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
There are some questions that echo through time. How did life begin? Is there a god? Where did Stonehenge come from? Why would anyone willingly become friends with someone who collects hair? These are eternal mysteries for which we may never know the answer.

I am similarly mystified by how anyone, ever, could like the Beastie Boys.

/cue rage

Sephex
08-15-2012, 08:21 PM
There are some questions that echo through time. How did life begin? Is there a god? Where did Stonehenge come from? Why would anyone willingly become friends with someone who collects hair? These are eternal mysteries for which we may never know the answer.

/cue rage

No rage from me. They don't do much for me either.

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
They're alright. I don't put them up with my favorites but when they come on the radio I turn the speakers up loud enough to shake my car.

Raistlin
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
I didn't think to name them earlier because I never listened to them. But here's one I did listen to many, many years ago: Blink 182.

Jowy
08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
i bought the first hanson album when it came out

i'm twenty six and still like a few songs by the bizkit - specifically "full nelson". there is/was nothing wrong with like Evanescence. Amy Lee's siren song has an effect that sells. Plus I'd take her on a hot date if given the chance. i liked insane clown posse when i was twelve. they were something different from what i was used to hearing at the time and we had common ground with faygo being just dee-licious.

Shorty
08-15-2012, 10:12 PM

/cue rage

I would like to second this mystification, because I am (respectfully) not fond of the Beastie Boys at all.

Jessweeee♪
08-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
I'm a fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
I'm a fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
I'm a fuck you up

I'm a fuck you up
I'm a fuck you up
I'm a fuck you, fuck you, fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you up
Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up

Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up
Douche bag
I'm a fuck you up

charliepanayi
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
*sees the posts saying the Beastie Boys aren't all that*
*weeps a little*
*puts on Paul's Boutique*

The Man
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM
It might be a slight exaggeration to say that if you don't like Paul's Boutique, you don't like hip-hop, but it probably isn't much of one.

Did I read correctly a post implying Iron Maiden was shit too? Get out.

NorthernChaosGod
08-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Wtf just said they didn't like Maiden?

The Man
08-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Wtf just said they didn't like Maiden?
It wasn't until years later that Guilty Gear's soundtracks led to me checking out Iron Maiden of all people and realising I'd probably dodged a bullet in terms of a life of liking awful crap.

I'm hoping I just read that wrong.

U2 also, once upon a time, actually wasn't terrible, but they have been terrible for so long that I'll forgive anyone who hasn't bothered listening to their old stuff from when they were good, even though it was ubiquitous when I was growing up.

Clo
08-16-2012, 03:45 AM
I really liked U2's old albums. I still like Blink 182, too. But not that "I Miss You" shit. :colbert:

Jowy
08-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Blink 182 has been historically terrible for like two decades. That's five generations of being able to pick out someone who owns/owned a copy of "Dude Ranch".

Everyone in high school shunned me for not liking them and Linkin Park. I'm gonna go listen to my space robot music and screaming Canadians now.

TrollHunter
08-16-2012, 06:06 AM
I remember back in late elementary school I smurfing LOVED DragonForce...
Oh thank god that phase didn't last too long.
There was also plain-white-t's.

Actually.... now that i think about it... there really wasn't much I listened to as a kid I still don't like, save those two.
Meh, I'm only 17 so get back to me in a few years. In time I may want to slap myself for the stuff I listen to now.

Also

Bowling for Soup.
You take that back, now.

Iceglow
08-16-2012, 06:15 AM
I don't believe there are bad bands/artists. I do believe there are terrible songs, just as there are fantastic songs out there. The best thing to remember is that it's a matter of opinion or did you guys learn nothing from the song Tribute by Tenacious D? The second thing to remember is that every artist has good songs and bad songs. The good songs may not suit your aesthetics but it is still a good song and you could listen to it and others like it without clawing your eyeballs out and ramming 21" dildo's down your ears until you've gone and literally skull fucked yourself.

I mean sure some songs are more appealing than others in terms of melody, there are certain groupings of sound and notes which are not as pleasant to the brain to listen to. Some are at times outright painful to hear, stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_SfvrX5_A&feature=related) for example! (I do know 2 of the guys in that band, this is some of their better stuff believe it or not). Much more famously a band what I feel pushes on some of their albums and some of their songs at what is pleasurable would be Nine Inch Nails.

Now whilst growing up I probably listened to a lot of music because it was the cool stuff to listen to. Heaven knows I probably would never have gotten so deeply involved in the metal scene to the deep dark depths of industrial, black metal and death metal if it wasn't for those around me. I certainly don't delve as deep as I did these days. I'm much more comfortable listening to something like Train's Drops Of Jupiter than listening to something like Prostitute Disfigurement (that is actually the name of a grindcore band).

I would actually defend a fair few artists that are commonly pointed out as the worst artists in the world. Linkin Park for example have ceaselessly sought to innovate their music from album to album, if we take the 2 lives albums out and look at the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7! yes a whopping 7! studio albums they have produced or allowed to be produced (yes, we're counting Reanimation because that is definitely important and Collision Course because it too to an extent is important) using their music. Each album has artistically sounded extremely different. Even their latest offering Living Things is different despite actually being the album most similar to their origins on the Hybrid Theory and Meteora albums (for their origins you have to skip Reanimation because it is a remix album) It features heavier dance beats introduced in the A Thousand Suns album and the tendency to utilize audio clips from famous speeches throughout history or news programs, it also features more raw punk style guitar riffs as witnessed on the Minutes To Midnight album however it has a composition and feels much more like the earlier albums produced by the band, the fact that Chester literally screams his guts out for a song (Victimize) which albeit their shortest song ever packs as much explosive energy as M80 did on the Papa Roach, Love Hate Tragedy album. I'm not saying every song they ever produced is gold. Hell no, personally I've less time to listen to songs such as The Little Things That You Give Away (I get the idea there but the song was far too slow, Chester sounded like he was at the breaking point for 99% of the song and it just didn't make me feel anything) than I do to listen to songs such as In The End or With You. To write a band of as irrevocably bad based on what evidence is probably the worst sin any music fan could ever commit. On this point Dak... you need to give your girlfriend the spanking of her lifetime, she needs to know that music is important regardless of who makes it.

Now, I'm proud to admit that I listen to songs from 99% of the musicians I grew up listening to, I'm even more proud to admit that I now listen to music from 99% of the musicians my sister grew up listening to and enjoy the songs. Some of these songs whilst being far removed from my own interests at that age do remind me of events and times where I was happy or had fun often in better times before my life became so complicated. Listening to these songs helps me take my mind of things.

I'm also pretty happy to announce my music tastes have grown exponentially and if it's one thing I can thank the assholes I have worked with for 5 years it's probably this. I've grown to enjoy Country music, Jazz, Easy Listening, Folk and a whole host of other sounds I used to hate blindly because rather than find I like the entire genre I found artists and songs I have the time of day for.

Music is and always will be an escape, a means to take your mind somewhere, you hear Mmm Bop by Hanson and you if you're my age remember being 13 and thinking you were all that as you skateboarded or rode a bmx somewhere. You smile, nod your head and sing along either inside or loud and proud regardless. In 15 years time, those 14 year old girls screaming Justin Bieber's name will be probably just the same with the song Baby. Lyrically it isn't important it will however be important because it's a piece of their life they can carry with them until they die that reminds them that life wasn't always so damn complicated with bills, relationships and jobs ect.

The idea that someone can arbitrarily come along to my ipod or my itunes collection and declare my music tastes to be shit? I find that offensive to the highest order I never like it when people do that even when they're scowling over something like Carly Rae Jepsen having a place in there (Yes, I do actually like Call Me Maybe bite my hairy white ass if you have a problem with that) or the fact that I've got such a wide variety of music mashed in together I'm proud of that wildly varied taste, I'm proud that I like some songs based on nothing more than it made me smile or I had a good night out dicking around with my friends to it, in the case of Call Me Maybe I'm happy because I was out in a club and met a fun girl because I was stupid enough to do a moronic dance which she saw as funny. I don't do it to people, I won't do it to people so people had better if they know what is good for them not do it to me.

charliepanayi
08-16-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't believe there are bad bands/artists.

Um, yes there are.

Jiro
08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, I have a good one, though.

S Club 7.

Nobody else touched this but I have to agree. Venga Boys too. But man, there ain't no party like an S Club party.

Miriel
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

Me too!

You guys, I was SO JAZZED to see Spice Girls at the Olympics. Omg. :excited:

Pike
08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Venga Boys

Venga Boys is great.

Jiro
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I don't fucking know what this thread is about so I'm just listing music that makes me go "oh yeah"

Pike
08-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Yeah it's pretty much turned into a guilty (or not so guilty?) pleasures thread and I am A-OK with that.

fire_of_avalon
08-17-2012, 03:19 AM
I listen to almost everything. The bands or songs I hate I hate with a fiery passion, but otherwise I can be fine with just about anything.

I have no shame that I was mad over the Backstreet Boys. I have no shame that I will still jam out to them.

Maybe I just don't have a lot of shame.

Clo
08-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Occasionally I put on the Backstreet Boys and funk out with my junk out.

Shoden
08-17-2012, 06:43 PM
I used to adore random stuff like Busted, Scooter and hell even Trivium, now I am saddened by my past. I saw Trivium open for Iron Maiden in 2006 a few years after I grew out of liking the former 2 I listed and realised, they weren't that good at all. I'd call them crap but someone probably likes them and someone's honour will have been insulted thus resulting in naked table top bar boxing.

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Trivium is good stuff. :colbert:

Shoden
08-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Eh, they're just another metalcore band doing the whole frash metulz thing tbh. Suppose its good they don't have 100 breakdowns a minute like most deathcore bands do though. I honestly cannot stand -core if you haven't guessed. XD

I'd be here forever if I listed every band I really think is "crap" because of that. So yeeeeeah. Saving the fighting talks til I remember the emoticons for here.

Jowy
08-20-2012, 04:06 PM
"Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is still a great album as of 11:06 AM EST on 20 August 2012.

Bunny
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Metallica and Linkin Park.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 05:07 PM
"Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is still a great album as of 11:06 AM EST on 20 August 2012.

I know this is a hipsterish thing to say, and I hate it when other people say this on the interzone, but I actually thought their first album was a lot better. I guess I liked the rougher quality to it. Couldn't really get into anything past that one, though I did try. To be fair, "The Ghost of You" is a pretty cool song. I like the WWII themed video as well.

Jowy
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
That is a damn good disc, not gonna lie. Totes saw them at a crappy venue in 03 for like eight bucks.

The Man
08-20-2012, 06:11 PM

As with many other bands mentioned here, Metallica used to be not terrible. A strong case could be made that nothing they've released since the eighties has been good, though. (Death Magnetic might have been ok if they hadn't clipped the fuck out of it during mixing/mastering, turning it into unlistenable garbage).

Shoden
08-20-2012, 07:12 PM

As with many other bands mentioned here, Metallica used to be not terrible. A strong case could be made that nothing they've released since the eighties has been good, though. (Death Magnetic might have been ok if they hadn't clipped the fuck out of it during mixing/mastering, turning it into unlistenable garbage).

I've heard plenty of remixes of songs off DM and heard them live. Though I think Thrash metal is one of the more primitive, repetitive forms of "heavy" music Metallica's takes on it really caught my ear, Master of Puppets and all that.

I really enjoyed their 90s stuff as their writing really took a step forward, sure it wasn't "metal" but that's just chug chug "frash" fanboy tears talking, Load had songs like Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn, Reload had songs like Fixxer, Low Man's Lyric and DEVIL'S DANCE! Its not ALL Doom and Gloom for Metallica.

The Man
08-20-2012, 07:39 PM
DM is fine if you listen to the Guitar Hero III mixes. The official releases are all smurfing awful.

My conclusion with Load/Reload is that it would have made a good single disc or double LP. It might even have made a good double CD/triple LP at about two hours. The 160-minute combination, though, just had so much material that it all started to run together. Several of the songs didn't really do much to distinguish themselves from one another, and that's never a good sign.

That said, there were good songs like several of the ones you mentioned (I don't see much special about "Devil's Dance" but I would've mentioned the others as highlights); I'd also throw "Where the Wild Things Are" on that list. It's not a surprise that the longest songs on those albums tended to be the best, because those were the ones where the band really gave themselves the freedom to stretch out and deviate from the formula.

I'd say the Black Album was much the same way, even though it had a lot less material - while you could probably accuse the band of using a formula from Ride the Lightning through And Justice for All, at least on those albums they used enough variation in their songwriting to distinguish the songs from one another. I mean, obviously you can say that the fourth track on all those albums (and DM for that matter) is a ballad, and that the penultimate or ultimate track is always an instrumental, and so on, but the fact is none of those songs sounds the same. With the Black Album, though, that was the point from which a lot of their songs didn't do much to distinguish themselves. The songs that broke from the formula - "My Friend of Misery", "The God That Failed", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", etc. - tended to be the most interesting, although there were a few that managed to be interesting despite obviously being composed to a formula ("Sad but True", "Enter Sandman").

St. Anger, though, was a steaming pile of tit. Seriously I don't know what they were thinking.

Lulu I'll give them somewhat of a pass as they weren't the ones who wrote it. They were basically just Lou Reed's backing band. I don't entirely know what he was thinking though.

Jowy
08-20-2012, 07:49 PM
S&M version of Devil's Dance is GOAT

Shoden
08-20-2012, 08:25 PM
DM is fine if you listen to the Guitar Hero III mixes. The official releases are all smurfing awful.

My conclusion with Load/Reload is that it would have made a good single disc or double LP. It might even have made a good double CD/triple LP at about two hours. The 160-minute combination, though, just had so much material that it all started to run together. Several of the songs didn't really do much to distinguish themselves from one another, and that's never a good sign.

That said, there were good songs like several of the ones you mentioned (I don't see much special about "Devil's Dance" but I would've mentioned the others as highlights); I'd also throw "Where the Wild Things Are" on that list. It's not a surprise that the longest songs on those albums tended to be the best, because those were the ones where the band really gave themselves the freedom to stretch out and deviate from the formula.

I'd say the Black Album was much the same way, even though it had a lot less material - while you could probably accuse the band of using a formula from Ride the Lightning through And Justice for All, at least on those albums they used enough variation in their songwriting to distinguish the songs from one another. I mean, obviously you can say that the fourth track on all those albums (and DM for that matter) is a ballad, and that the penultimate or ultimate track is always an instrumental, and so on, but the fact is none of those songs sounds the same. With the Black Album, though, that was the point from which a lot of their songs didn't do much to distinguish themselves. The songs that broke from the formula - "My Friend of Misery", "The God That Failed", "The Unforgiven", "Nothing Else Matters", etc. - tended to be the most interesting, although there were a few that managed to be interesting despite obviously being composed to a formula ("Sad but True", "Enter Sandman").

St. Anger, though, was a steaming pile of tit. Seriously I don't know what they were thinking.

Lulu I'll give them somewhat of a pass as they weren't the ones who wrote it. They were basically just Lou Reed's backing band. I don't entirely know what he was thinking though.

Load and Reload were originally meant to be a double album afaik. It might explain where you got that idea from as both albums do sound as if they're supposed to flow into eachother. I should have mentioned King Nothing as well as that bassline is amazing. Shoot me haha, I like Metallica's basslines, I'm a bassist so I'm inclined to like songs that might otherwise be stale. :p
The Black Album had its moments but the mix was godly, My Friend of Misery is one of my favourite basslines to play as well!

St Anger, felt as if, it was a garage band experiment left unfinished, the songs had that feeling when I listened to it that they weren't quite finished. Some had potential but others didn't have any at all I'd say. That's just being nice.

The Man
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
I knew Load/Reload was originally intended to be a double CD, but as I said, the problem is that a lot of the material just doesn't distinguish itself from other material on the records. Maybe the band just needed to spend longer working on some of them, but there are just too many forgettable songs as they are. If you're going to release 160 minutes of music, you'd better be sure that all of it is remarkable. Most people just don't have the attention span to listen through that much music on a regular basis, unless it's all incredible.

I guess I could just listen to one album at a time but I am obsessive-compulsive about things like that. I have made cut-down versions in the past that satisfy me somewhat more, but usually I'm lazy and just don't bother listening to them at all.

And yeah, "Devil's Dance" is much cooler on S&M.

Shoden
08-20-2012, 09:37 PM
I've had a relisten to Load and Reload just now. There's a few more highlights and a couple, "decent" songs but otherwise yes there are very forgettable songs that sadly take up space on them albums that really overshadow the good ones. What would say about songs like Mama Said, Hero of the Day and Unforgiven II which are less rocky nevermind less metal and less thrasy ones?

The Man
08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
"Hero of the Day" is pretty good. I go back and forth on "Mama Said" and "The Unforgiven II". Sometimes I regard the latter as a failed experiment, but it's still interesting and a break from the general monotony of the album even if it's not as great as the classic country songs they obviously modelled it on. "The Unforgiven II" is a neat idea but it doesn't really hold a candle to the original. It can still be interesting to listen to once in awhile though.

Shoden
08-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't mind Unforgiven II myself and I enjoy Mama Said simply because of Hetfield's voice.
OH! and just to note S&M Hero of the Day is amazing, well S&M in general is for me tbh.

Peegee
08-20-2012, 10:38 PM
I have been summoned here as punishment for listening to ICP from the age of 17-19

since I'm actually talking about this in-depth: I was intrigued at the idea of listening to records that had a theme. Granted THERE'S SO MANY OTHER BANDS THAT DO THIS but I to this day have never bought a cd except for ICP. Anyway they apparently had this ongoing story about joker cards and the like, and it led up to the revelation that they were agents of God and the last album had to do with going to heaven or hell.

But by that time I had grown up and got some good taste in music and rap (90s east coast rap/hip hop), so I only found that out by downloading their album. Alas, I didn't buy it. As if I was going to buy two albums just to find out what I already knew reading online. Pfft

Shorty
08-22-2012, 05:06 AM
I just remembered that I was a huge fan of The Used. Also I listened to Kottonmouth Kings. god help me.

Rianoa
08-24-2012, 11:10 PM
I listened to Busted as a kid, they were bad.

I don't really listen to any band or musician regularly but my music tastes have always been bad , Evanescence, Phil Collins, Breaking Benjamin, Eminem, Brian Adams...I am incredibly :cool:

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2012, 09:30 PM
EMINEM IS NOT BAD.

Laddy
08-25-2012, 11:31 PM
EMINEM IS NOT BAD.
Bad? No. Incredibly overatted? Yes.

NeoCracker
08-25-2012, 11:33 PM
He is a very tallented rapper. His skills are great.

Doesn't change the fact his music is 75-85% crap.

charliepanayi
08-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are good. Since then - not so much.

Pike
08-26-2012, 12:49 AM
I like oldschool Eminem.

What's that one great song called again? Oh right, Stan. That song is brilliant.

Rianoa
08-26-2012, 10:53 AM
I do like Eminem.. his old stuff he takes himself to seriously now :P

Pheesh
08-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP are good. Since then - not so much.

Yep, this.