PDA

View Full Version : It's actually out for real now.

Sephex
08-14-2012, 11:38 PM
On the PC. Thought about bumping the other thread, but I figured an official release warrants a new one!

http://na.square-enix.com/finalfantasyvii

Rostum
08-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Apparently being in Australia means I can't buy it from either the EU or NA store. Why even bother letting me sign up in the first place? They should have just released this on Steam, to be honest.

Alpha2099
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I just saw it on a Youtube video. Looks like they didn't do much in terms of touching up the graphics, which is fine. Although...did they do something different to the music? I compared it to the OST and there seems to be a difference, almost like the PC was using MIDIs or something.

Rostum
08-15-2012, 12:39 AM
Yeah, the PC version uses MIDI's which are triggered by what your PC's system has, rather than pre-recorded MIDI's that are on the PS1 version.

Marshall Banana
08-15-2012, 04:52 AM
"ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: WON FIRST BATTLE!"

I kid you not.

Sephex
08-15-2012, 04:58 AM
"ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: WON FIRST BATTLE!"

I kid you not.

Dude, you're ****ing amazing. I'm not even sure I can get all the achievements now if that's the tip of the iceberg!

Pike
08-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Somebody talk me out of buying this.

Rantz
08-15-2012, 11:40 AM
Don't buy this, Pike.

I'm tempted to buy this.

Cloudane
08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Here was me checking the EOFF Homepage on a daily basis, and then checking the other thread, it's only now that I checked the _actual site_ and found that it's available. Derp.

£7.99? Sold. I take it it's not on Steam then...

Silent Warrior
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Uh... Have they actually done ANYTHING AT ALL to the original art (graphics, sound, movies) besides adding achievements and compatibility? What about a resolution bump?

Marshall Banana: Well, just imagine the plethora of achievements you'd get after spanking Emerald Weapon, then!

Slothy
08-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah, the PC version uses MIDI's which are triggered by what your PC's system has, rather than pre-recorded MIDI's that are on the PS1 version.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken it's actually a bit worse than simply having the MIDI triggering based on your sound card/whatever in your PC. I'm pretty sure I read that they actually recorded the MIDI run through the shitty synthesizer they included in the original PC release so now it's literally the original PC audio permanently stuck that way in the game. Hopefully someone mods in the actual soundtrack for the people who buy this either way because I was blown away (in a bad way) by the difference.

Jinx
08-15-2012, 01:23 PM
So, if I was thinking of buying this....yay, or nay?

Cloudane
08-15-2012, 01:34 PM
Uh... Have they actually done ANYTHING AT ALL to the original art (graphics, sound, movies) besides adding achievements and compatibility? What about a resolution bump?

Doesn't look like it from the videos, in fact it looks like it plays with big black borders. Anything polygon based (the characters, basically) has benefitted from the smoothing/antialiasing that was missing on the PSX, but I think that was true for the original PC release. I recall it being similar on other cross-platform games like the original Tomb Raider.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken it's actually a bit worse than simply having the MIDI triggering based on your sound card/whatever in your PC. I'm pretty sure I read that they actually recorded the MIDI run through the titty synthesizer they included in the original PC release so now it's literally the original PC audio permanently stuck that way in the game. Hopefully someone mods in the actual soundtrack for the people who buy this either way because I was blown away (in a bad way) by the difference.

Damn. I was hoping we could at least install an alternative soundfont like in the original version.

I wouldn't count on mods - I heard it's also DRM'd.

Slothy
08-15-2012, 04:34 PM
So, if I was thinking of buying this....yay, or nay?

Emulate? Depends on how attached to the original soundtrack you are I guess.

I wouldn't count on mods - I heard it's also DRM'd.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that absolutely anything can and will be cracked by people with the time, knowledge, and desire required to put in the effort.

If there's a second thing I've learned over the years it's that Parmesan is the best cheese.

Jinx
08-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Is there a video or something of how the music sounds now?

Sephex
08-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I saw a video on YouTube. I'm at work right now, so I can't look for it myself. Just search for it on there!

ReloadPsi
08-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Okay, I'm just gonna read the achievement list and award them to myself as appropriate. The ones in bold, I have done.

End of Part I: Complete the first part of the game
End of Part II: Complete the second part of the game
End of Game: Complete Final Fantasy VII
Master Materia: Reach the maximum level of any Materia
Master of Gil: 99,999,999 Gil
Top Level: Reach level 99 with any character
Knights of the Round: Get materia Knights of the Round
Omnislash: Get Cloud’s last Limit Break
Catastrophe: Get Barret’s last Limit Break
Chaos: Get Vincent’s last Limit Break
Great Gospel: Get Aeris’s last Limit Break
Highwind: Get Cid’s last Limit Break
Final Heaven: Get Tifa’s last Limit Break
All Creation: Get Yuffie’s last Limit Break
Cosmo Memory: Get Red XIII’s last Limit Break
Slots: Get Cait Sith’s last Limit Break
Bahamut Zero: Get materia Bahamut Zero
Ultimate Weapon: Defeat the Ultimate Weapon
Diamond Weapon: Defeat the Diamond Weapon
Ruby Weapon: Defeat the Ruby Weapon
Emerald Weapon: Defeat the Emerald Weapon
Vincent: Get Vincent on your team
Yuffie: Get Yuffie on your team
Materia Overlord: Master all Materias*
Battle Square: Start a battle in Battle Square
Golden Feather: Get a Gold Chocobo
Won First Battle: Win your first battle
Braver: Use Cloud’s first Limit Break
Big Shot: Use Barrett’s first Limit Break
Galian Beast: Use Vincent’s first Limit Break
Healing Wind: Use Aeris’s first Limit Break
Boost Jump: Use Cid’s first Limit Break
Beat Rush: Use Tifa’s first Limit Break
Greased Lightning: Use Yuffie’s first Limit Break
Sled Fang: Use Red XIII’s first Limit Break
Dice: Use Cait Sith’s first Limit Break

*This one is technically impossible. Underwater cannot be mastered, unless they happened to change that in this version. I'm not counting on it. Probably doesn't count towards it anyway, which would make this achievement a lie anyway.

Yeah, I fail to see the faintest iota of a point in buying this. I still own two copies of the PSX version.

Mercen-X
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
End of Part I - Complete the first part of the game
End of Part II - Complete the second part of the game
End of Game - Complete Final Fantasy VII
Vincent - Get Vincent on your team
Yuffie - Get Yuffie on your team
Battle Square - Start a battle in Battle Square
Won First Battle - Win your first battle
Braver - Use Cloud’s first Limit Break
Big Shot - Use Barrett’s first Limit Break
Galian Beast - Use Vincent’s first Limit Break
Healing Wind - Use Aeris’s first Limit Break
Boost Jump - Use Cid’s first Limit Break
Beat Rush - Use Tifa’s first Limit Break
Greased Lightning - Use Yuffie’s first Limit Break
Sled Fang - Use Red XIII’s first Limit Break
Dice - Use Cait Sith’s first Limit Break
Master Materia - Reach the maximum level of any Materia
Master of Gil - 99,999,999 Gil (this is why I use Gil Toss to get rid of my Gil. Once you've got all 9s, you realize you've no longer any purpose for your Gil.)

Top Level - Reach level 99 with any character
Knights of the Round - Get materia Knights of the Round
Omnislash - Get Cloud’s last Limit Break
Catastrophe - Get Barret’s last Limit Break
Chaos - Get Vincent’s last Limit Break
Great Gospel - Get Aeris’s last Limit Break
Highwind - Get Cid’s last Limit Break
Final Heaven - Get Tifa’s last Limit Break
All Creation - Get Yuffie’s last Limit Break
Cosmo Memory - Get Red XIII’s last Limit Break
Slots - Get Cait Sith’s last Limit Break
Bahamut Zero - Get materia Bahamut Zero
Materia Overlord - Master all Materias
Golden Feather - Get a Gold Chocobo
Ultimate Weapon - Defeat the Ultimate Weapon
Diamond Weapon - Defeat the Diamond Weapon

Agony:
Ruby Weapon - Defeat the Ruby Weapon
Emerald Weapon - Defeat the Emerald Weapon

Materia Overlord - Master all Materias*

*This one is technically impossible. Underwater cannot be mastered, unless they happened to change that in this version. I'm not counting on it. Probably doesn't count towards it anyway, which would make this achievement a lie anyway.

Technically, it's already mastered. I just hoped they removed the glitch that allows it to accrue AP. I mean, I'm pretty sure you weren't able to sell it for any gil no matter how much AP you gained on it. So...

I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for obtaining Leviathan materia since you do a whole sidequest to get it. And what about getting all four Huge Materias?

ReloadPsi
08-15-2012, 10:12 PM
I'm surprised there isn't an achievement for obtaining Leviathan materia since you do a whole sidequest to get it. And what about getting all four Huge Materias?

I wasn't counting on Square-Enix not to phone this in. Frankly it surprises me that they even added achievements at all, even as crappy as these.

Technically, it's already mastered. I just hoped they removed the glitch that allows it to accrue AP. I mean, I'm pretty sure you weren't able to sell it for any gil no matter how much AP you gained on it.

Good point.

Rostum
08-15-2012, 11:46 PM
So apparently despite being on the Serviced Countries list, Australia are not allowed to buy anything from either the EU or NA store. They said they are going to make a separate Aussie store, which means they're going to jack their prices way up. It's not a matter of they can't sell to Australia, it's just a matter of pure greed.

All I can say is smurf you Square, you've done it again. Oh well, not like I'm missing anything, since it's apparent they pretty much offered no effort in this re-release.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken it's actually a bit worse than simply having the MIDI triggering based on your sound card/whatever in your PC. I'm pretty sure I read that they actually recorded the MIDI run through the titty synthesizer they included in the original PC release so now it's literally the original PC audio permanently stuck that way in the game. Hopefully someone mods in the actual soundtrack for the people who buy this either way because I was blown away (in a bad way) by the difference.

Hmm, I don't know. I looked at it on YouTube and it seemed as if the instruments sound different, or perhaps they mastered them with some compression and what appears to be heavy reverb?

Marshall Banana
08-16-2012, 03:20 AM
The after-battle tune sounds horrible, but, so far, the rest of the music I've heard sounds okay.

New version:

Previous version:
dQgG_TAGSfM

The menus and character models look nice.

Jiro
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Rostum, I feel you man. Colour me unsatisfied. I ought to write an angry article about it.

Cloudane
08-16-2012, 10:30 AM
This should be interesting.

End of Part I: Complete the first part of the game
End of Part II: Complete the second part of the game
End of Game: Complete Final Fantasy VII
Master Materia: Reach the maximum level of any Materia
Master of Gil: 99,999,999 Gil (definitely via X-item exploit, which I guess won't be in this. 99% sure I've done it without, from selling master materia)
Top Level: Reach level 99 with any character
Knights of the Round: Get materia Knights of the Round
Omnislash: Get Cloud’s last Limit Break
Catastrophe: Get Barret’s last Limit Break
Chaos: Get Vincent’s last Limit Break
Great Gospel: Get Aeris’s last Limit Break
Highwind: Get Cid’s last Limit Break
Final Heaven: Get Tifa’s last Limit Break
All Creation: Get Yuffie’s last Limit Break
Cosmo Memory: Get Red XIII’s last Limit Break
Slots: Get Cait Sith’s last Limit Break
Bahamut Zero: Get materia Bahamut Zero
Ultimate Weapon: Defeat the Ultimate Weapon
Diamond Weapon: Defeat the Diamond Weapon
Ruby Weapon: Defeat the Ruby Weapon
Emerald Weapon: Defeat the Emerald Weapon
Vincent: Get Vincent on your team
Yuffie: Get Yuffie on your team
Materia Overlord: Master all Materias* (the ones that can be, presumably that's what they mean)
Battle Square: Start a battle in Battle Square
Won First Battle: Win your first battle
Braver: Use Cloud’s first Limit Break
Big Shot: Use Barrett’s first Limit Break
Galian Beast: Use Vincent’s first Limit Break
Healing Wind: Use Aeris’s first Limit Break
Boost Jump: Use Cid’s first Limit Break
Beat Rush: Use Tifa’s first Limit Break
Greased Lightning: Use Yuffie’s first Limit Break
Sled Fang: Use Red XIII’s first Limit Break
Dice: Use Cait Sith’s first Limit Break

Welp, that's not too difficult. Been there done all that. There should totally be an achievement for 3 sets of master materia.

Jiro
08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Those achievements are shit. Honestly. Where's the random, fun things to do? Like, have an achievement for getting make up in the Honey Bee Inn since it's not mandatory. Have an achievement for beating the Wutai sidequest before a certain point. Have an achievement for winning a fucking chocobo race. Breeding your first chocobo. Killing the Midgar Zolom. FUCK.

Cloudane
08-16-2012, 12:57 PM
^ All of that!

Maybe they'll add those later in patches - I doubt it though

Marshall Banana
08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
There should be an achievement for earning a date with Barret!

The current achievements are just other ways of saying "ACHIEVEMENT: PLAYED GAME." D=

krissy
08-16-2012, 03:51 PM
and it should be called Once you go black...

Cloudane
08-16-2012, 04:56 PM
From the SA forums:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/service/thankyou?id=22128993

That link has the original PSX sound files in .ogg format. Just copy these files into the music_ogg folder and you're good to go!

Sounds promising.

Also
http://www.gamefront.com/files/22130893/FF7+OST+Remastered+Ogg+Fix.zip
Maybe some even better music?

Edited for actual link. Apparently looping is a bit hit and miss. Source: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13220.450

Mercen-X
08-16-2012, 11:15 PM
There should be an achievement for earning a date with Barret!
+ Tifa date
+ Yuffie date

There should also be ways to go on a date with the other available characters, maybe because early on, you said stuff during the AVALANCHE missions that pissed off Barret. And during the escape from Corel Prison...

There are some things that happen in the game as it is that could have potentially affected Cloud's relationships with Red XIII, Cait Sith, Vincent, and Cid. Well, maybe not Vincent, but they could add like an extra bit for him by returning to the manor.

Get makeup in the Honey Bee Inn. Beat the Wutai sidequests. Win a chocobo race. Kill the Midgar Zolom (at LV5 or lower).

Should be called "Camelot King": Get materia Knights of the Round
Should be called "The Gladiator": Get Cloud’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Coal Man": Get Barret’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Solace": Get Vincent’s last Limit Break
Should be called "LTD Time Only": Get Aeris’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Salvo Salvage": Get Cid’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Return to Nibelheim": Get Tifa’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Pagoda Princess": Get Yuffie’s last Limit Break
Should be called "Cave Raider": Get Red XIII’s last Limit Break
Should be called "The Experiment": Get Vincent on your team
Should be called "The Runaway": Get Yuffie on your team
Should be called "Splitter": Use Cloud’s first Limit Break
Should be called "Burst": Use Barrett’s first Limit Break
Should be called "Berserker": Use Vincent’s first Limit Break
Should be called "Maiden Prayer": Use Aeris’s first Limit Break
Should be called "The Dragoon": Use Cid’s first Limit Break
Should be called "The Bouncer": Use Tifa’s first Limit Break
Should be called "The Ninja": Use Yuffie’s first Limit Break
Should be called "Wolf Dash": Use Red XIII’s first Limit Break
Should be called "The Gambler": Use Cait Sith’s first Limit Break

Then again, if there's going to be an achievement for using the first limit break, it shouldn't be one for each individual but instead for the whole group. Then there should also be one for using all of the last limit breaks for the whole group.

Rostum
08-16-2012, 11:43 PM
It's like they didn't even bother thinking about achievements... Such a waste of potential.

Gamblet
08-17-2012, 12:59 AM
It's like they didn't even bother thinking about achievements... Such a waste of potential.

Scumbag Square-Enix...

Sephex
08-17-2012, 01:09 AM
I'm not surprised be any of this. Square-Enix has been phoning it in for years now.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 01:47 AM
and it should be called Once you go black...

This, so badly. That would be the best achievement. Master the Enemy Skill materia. Stay in the Haunted Mansion Inn. Get picked by the Don. Climb the fucking staircase to attack Shinra HQ. Do the flashback in one sitting (now that's a fucking achievement). Score X points in the Speed Square. Wasn't there flashback scenes of Cloud and Zack in the test tubes in Shinra Mansion? "Learn the truth about five years ago." Hell, you could keep some "played the game" type ones -- attend the Reunion.

krissy
08-17-2012, 03:14 AM

this is the only achievement with even a remotely interesting name

yeah they didn't try here at all. shame on whoever was in charge of such a simple matter.

DMKA
08-17-2012, 04:13 AM
So aside of the achievements, and the ability to level your character up without actually playing the game, they didn't change anything, and they used the same terrible MIDI soundtrack from the original PC version?

Is there...any reason to buy it?

Rostum
08-17-2012, 05:03 AM
Nope. :D

Cloudane
08-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Posted the Midi fix a few posts up (Not too keen on the remastered versions to be honest - PSX versions are the way to go)

It's arguably easier to set up than the old PC version or ePSXe
Other than that, not really :P

Edit: Fixed link for PSX music for 2012 PC version. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/ogg_music.zip.torrent

Tranquil
08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Bought it last night, will be playing it tonight.

Also, does anyone have any confirmation on the whole "online achievement profiles" being true? If so, anyone want to link to an example profile?

Tranquil, please edit your posts rather than double posting. Thanks! - MILF

ReloadPsi
08-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Should be called "LTD Time Only": Get Aeris’s last Limit Break

Heartless but hilarious. Heartlariess?

Marshall Banana
08-17-2012, 04:52 PM
Bought it last night, will be playing it tonight.

Also, does anyone have any confirmation on the whole "online achievement profiles" being true? If so, anyone want to link to an example profile?
Once you've installed the game, its main menu will contain a link to your personal profile.

This is mine, for example: http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en/profile/ichigoyummy

Slothy
08-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Honestly, bad achievements wouldn't bother me because I really don't like achievements at all. The fact that Jiro rattled off several more interesting ones in one post that probably took him all of five minutes is why I don't like them. They add nothing except a title for stuff you do anyway at best. At worst they're blatant attempts to turn all games into grindy skinner boxes, even when it doesn't fit.

Anyway, unless there's some stupid stuff I don't know about, I'd say someone should get this if they've never played or owned FFVII before and can't get their hands on a PSX or PSN copy.

krissy
08-17-2012, 07:26 PM
Macho Man: Do 30 sit-ups in a minute
Macho Woman: Infiltrate Don's mansion dressed for success
Electrical Engineering: Climb the golden, shiny wire of hope and use the batteries

dats like 3 in the span of 15 minutes

this game has been out for decades or whatever and they got someone who has never played it to do the achievements. or the devs were reallly lazy and only check stats and item lists. perhaps the game schedule system is impossible to get into to connect to the achievements now...but that's stupid, there should be a way.

Jowy
08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
squeenix
lazy
milking a cash cow

pick two

milliegoesbeep
08-17-2012, 10:48 PM
Ah, this is awesome. I've never been that inclined towards VII since the whole big obsession over it (that, and Advent Children was awful) but perhaps this new game will really get me into it again. This is the very first instalment I had played as a kid so it might give me some nostalgia :D

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 02:25 AM
I am sorely tempted by this. I'm trying to refuse myself I've got way to much outgoing on my account and way too many games I have never even played (I don't count 5 mins of putting in the disc for The Last Remnant and deciding I was way too drunk to play that level of thought process and switching the disc for MW3 as playing the game) on my shelf at the moment.

Though I am still tempted I mean, come on it is FFVII it's like first game I ever wanted to shed a tear over, VIII got me choked up at the point where in the Garden v Garden battle the SeeD cadets are all exhausted and wounded and there's the speech but Aeris' death, was the first time I felt computer games could handle emotions as well as books and film.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 05:35 AM
At first glance, $10 seems pretty cheap, but if there's essentially no new improvements aside from the achievements (that seem to be kindof lame) then I don't really see the point of buying it. Sad to get fans all excited about a re-release hoping for some significant improvements and then to see disappointing reviews make me not really care about it. :/

They're never going to top FFVII's story or game sales, so they should quit dancing around and just remake the damn thing so they can actually top the original's sales like they want to.

krissy
08-18-2012, 06:33 AM
nah
remaking it in the current gen will just make all the flaws stand out
it's a wonderful game and probably my fave ff
but atmosphere would be different
and remaking it would mean the atmosphere would change
and let's be honest not likely for the better (compilation has achieved some stunning moments of 'wtf are you writing for a kindergarden audience' moments)

Rostum
08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Square's latest excuse for not wanting to remake the game just yet is actually quite a good one, from a business point of view. So I'll give 'em props for that.

But yeah... Would it really have killed them to add in better achievements? Maybe new character models (can still be chibi, just high resolution polygonal count and actual textures rather than vertex colouring - unlike that god awful fan mod going around where the characters don't even fit in to the backgrounds). Even just re-rendering the backgrounds at a higher resolution wouldn't have been such a big task with today's technology.

So much potential, just down the drain.

Mercen-X
08-18-2012, 04:28 PM
the Reunion.

This should be an achievement for talking to all of the Black Cloaks before reaching Northern Crater (mustn't forget the one in the Midgar slums).

Tri-Force (lol, I know they can't use it) - Obtain Cloud's Apolalypse (more difficult than Scimitar since you must defeat Ultima)

escobert
08-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Yup I got my copy and started playing. I'm at Wall Market currently. I'm enjoying it so far. The redone music sounds great. And it's actually kind of fun reading the dialogue again since so much of it has been re-translated. Also I love how the added mouths and now everyone looks like Lego Final Fantasy

Jiro
08-19-2012, 05:06 AM
From my discussion with IDNAN, everybody seems to be walking blowjobs now with their big :O faces.

Cloudane
08-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Hahaha yes

I think they always had those anyway? But it was fuzzy because low res TV. Now it's not so fuzzy. I think the first time I noticed it was Jessie stood in the elevator looking all :redface:

(One of the Youtube vids mentions that Barrett also gained a thumb. Same story I think)

E: Encountered my first bug. Went to sleep in Wall Market (and picked up the crap from the vending machine) and.... didn't wake up again! Black screen of death! Good job I saved...

E2: Can't get past it, happens every time. No tiara for me then..

E3: Never mind, turns out it was the remixed music. Replace yado.ogg with the original one that shipped with the game!

ReloadPsi
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
From my discussion with IDNAN, everybody seems to be walking blowjobs now with their big :O faces.

The PC version was always like that. Horrifying innit?

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Really? I didn't notice while I was playing. Maybe I did notice and tried to block it out. Regardless, it's bloody weird.

krissy
08-20-2012, 04:14 PM
E3: Never mind, turns out it was the remixed music. Replace yado.ogg with the original one that shipped with the game!

great job squarenix

Sephex
08-21-2012, 12:14 AM
"YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE US YOUR MONEY AND LOVE IT."

http://bulk.destructoid.com/ul/233480-header.jpg

Jinx
08-21-2012, 01:56 AM
I might buy this because I lost the first disc of my PSX copy, and I want to play it.

You know, these achievements are totes lame. They'd still be lame, but not as lame, if they gave them quirky names a la WoW.

Jiro
08-21-2012, 02:31 AM
Jesus fucking christ sephex you have just given me eternal nightmares

Raistlin
08-21-2012, 03:00 AM
The list of achievements is shockingly lame, and this is from someone who generally doesn't give a crap about achievements. And with the lack of superior music or anything else, it's like they put zero effort into it.

Sure, it's still FF7, but I'm not giving Squeenix any money for this. If I want to play FF7 on my laptop, I'll just emulate it. More people need to stop rewarding them for crap work.

Rostum
08-21-2012, 05:25 AM
They could have at least done what Final FanTim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnMw-NRnrg) did and fed the MIDI files through a symphony orchestra sound library and remixed the songs. I've done this with East West's Symphonic Orchestra before and you can get very good results without much effort (though I use it for my own compositions these days).

Ugh. I just can't get over the laziness of this re-release. XD

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 05:24 PM
"YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE US YOUR MONEY AND LOVE IT."

I love it, seph.

Cloudane
08-22-2012, 06:33 PM
They could have at least done what Final FanTim (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnMw-NRnrg) did and fed the MIDI files through a symphony orchestra sound library and remixed the songs. I've done this with East West's Symphonic Orchestra before and you can get very good results without much effort (though I use it for my own compositions these days).

Ugh. I just can't get over the laziness of this re-release. XD

They should have really. Though it only takes about 10 seconds (plus download time) to put the ogg versions of the remaster in your music_ogg folder yourself :P
It's nice that they left it open in that way and didn't use some proprietary format or encrypt them inside the exe or anything as you can just replace it with whatever you want.

Wasn't sure I liked them at first, but gave them a second chance and yeah. Love it. I nearly weed myself when I fought the first boss - they did a cracking job with the intro to that track :kakapo:

ReloadPsi
08-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I say again: were you seriously counting on Square-Enix not to phone this one in?

krissy
08-23-2012, 09:12 PM
i seriously thought they were going to not phone it in

Skyblade
08-26-2012, 06:03 AM
i seriously thought they were going to not phone it in

They pretty much said they were going to phone it in. They said they weren't going to put in effort to remake FFVII until they made a game that surpassed it, so...

I'm just waiting to see if the Cosmo Canyon and Chocobo Race bugs are still in game.

I mean, they left in the Eidos Interactive movie and Squaresoft logo, even though those companies didn't handle this version.

Who things the game breaking glitches are left in too? Anyone?

Jiro
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
That is pretty pathetic.

Sephex
08-31-2012, 03:05 AM
[QUOTE=krissy;3118214]

I mean, they left in the Eidos Interactive movie and Squaresoft logo, even though those companies didn't handle this version.

Wow.

I actually inquired via email to Square-Enix why I should buy this PC rerelease. This is what they sent me in reply:

http://ridiculouslife.net/uploads/2/7/6/6/2766346/6260389_orig.jpg

Real subtle, Square-Enix.

ReloadPsi
08-31-2012, 07:36 PM
They said they weren't going to put in effort to remake FFVII until they made a game that surpassed it, so...

That could well mean they're going to leave it until we're once again back to sucking enough of their dicks and giving them enough money. Very audacious of them, but unfortunately I'm not surprised.