PDA

View Full Version : There is a song in my head...

Madame Adequate
08-15-2012, 06:33 AM
... that I can't quite hear, I don't know the name of, and can't remember where I heard it.

This thread is about things that make you want to smash things in blind uncomprehending rage.

Citizen Bleys
08-15-2012, 07:08 AM
Willful stupidity. There's nothing worse than someone who will struggle against learning something that they would use *every* *single* *day* because they're so proud of being stupid in some field that it would permanently destroy their entire self-worth to know something--anything--about it.

Come on people, there's no excuse. Around here, what most people talk about that I'm clueless in regards to is hockey -- because I hate hockey -- but even I know the Leafs suck and I'm not ashamed of knowing that.

Tigmafuzz
08-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Willful stupidity.

/thread

I'd like to share a short tale with you, though.

I once spent a short time in Italy. And in that short time, I made several friends, most of whom I never learned the names of.
I performed a social experiment where I stood on a street corner in a Venice next to an outdoor market, and stopped people passing by to explain to them (in my broken Italian) the benefits of genetic modification to plants. I don't remember where I kept the results -- I know I recorded them in a journal somewhere -- but iirc about 95% of people I stopped and talked to listened receptively. After my spiel, about half of them asked a few more questions, and afterwards thanked me for the information. A small handful of people politely helped me with my grammar and then thanked me for the information. The rest thanked me for the information and went on their way, except for a couple who said they would look deeper into the matter through online research and gave me their phone numbers in case I wanted to continue the discussion. And then they thanked me for the information. Basically, the results were great; everyone was very warm and receptive, and even the people who disagreed with my stance were happy to learn about something they didn't really have an active interest in. Nobody took offense at my mediocre Italian speech. The only people who even declined a conversation were in a rush, and even then said they were sorry they wouldn't be able to chat. And it was genuine.

...Needless to say, the results of the experiment did not go over the same in America.

tl;dr: If you want to be around people that aren't raised to be ignorant little shits, live in Italy. You don't even need to learn Italian. Random people on the streets will help you learn while you're there.

Criminally Vulgar
08-15-2012, 10:34 AM
Every day I catch the bus there is somebody trying to convert me to their noble cause and I really don't give a tit. Hassling strangers tick me off. :monster:

Rantz
08-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Flies that think walking on my face in the morning is the most important thing.

Sephex
08-15-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't get terrible road rage, but driving in general consistently aggravates me. I don't expect people to drive how I drive, but I expect at least a little common sense and decency, which I seems to never happen on the road.

Jiro
08-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Sounds like I should pop over to Italy then.

Shorty
08-15-2012, 11:27 PM
Tigma, if I passed you in Italy I would have smashed your face. We have no tolerance for that nonsense in America.

When I can't figure out what movie I've seen an actor in, it drives me crazy.

Tigmafuzz
08-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Tigma, if I passed you in Italy I would have smashed your face. We have no tolerance for that nonsense in America.

You obviously missed the point entirely. But I forgive you, because it's not your fault you're an American.

Shorty
08-16-2012, 01:01 AM
I caught the point. I chose to ignore it. (Or enforce it.)

Also, people who have phone conversations while on speaker in public. Horrifyingly irritating.

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 12:21 AM
:confused: It isn't... obvious..?

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Touristy Tourists.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 12:37 AM
the printer won't work without any fucking paper, it isn't broken!

milliegoesbeep
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
People trying to get me irritable. I'm a pretty laid back sort of person so when I get "doesn't x,y,z bother you?" it gets a little boring after a while.

Tigmafuzz
08-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Who put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop-shoo-bop?

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 08:37 PM
I get frustrated when my insults don't come out right. It's slant to ocd. I also tictictic when I'm repeating a word 'cause I think I'm saying it wrong, but actually I'm simply discovering how weird the word really sounds.