PDA

View Full Version : 4 eva

Jiro
08-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Congratulations! You're now immortal. No, you don't have a choice. You just cannot die. You regenerate almost instantly from all injuries. You feel numbed levels of pain and your mental state doesn't deteriorate. Also, you will no longer age at all. Are there any other things people generally use to pick holes in this sort of thing? No? Good.

Simply, you're immortal. You have the ability to make one other person and only one other person immortal. Same deal as you. Just the two of you, forever.

Who do you pick?

My answer is quite easy. It's Quin. We've discussed this before. I would pick Quin.

Rantz
08-16-2012, 07:19 AM
You might think I'd choose Shorty, but... I'd choose Jesus, you guys.

Iceglow
08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Just one other person on the planet. See the mushy romantic part of me says pick a girl who I think I could be with forever. However the bro's to the end part of me says I've gotta pick Psy, me and him rocking 'til the end of time! There'll be regain, girls, games, guns and money.

Tigmafuzz
08-16-2012, 11:23 AM
When you say immortality, does that include eternal youth? Because "regenerating instantly from any injury" doesn't necessarily cover age. Since age isn't an injury. I'd hate to have to condemn another person to slowly turning to dust and having to stay sentient but immobile for the rest of time.

Jesus

Also, if we choose dead people, does that mean they come back to life as they were before they died? Or back to when they were in their prime? Or do they stay zombie-looking and decayed, possibly as only a living skeleton without the ability to think or breathe or speak due to the lack of having a brain or other vital organs? Details, man.

5 eva

Sephex
08-16-2012, 11:56 AM
It would be a tough choice for me. No matter who I picked, I would ask them if it would be okay with that that they will live forever. I would also be mad if it happened right now because I am showing signs of aging and would be stuck like that. If it happened a few years ago, when I was in better shape, I would be fine with that.

Jiro
08-16-2012, 12:08 PM
When you say immortality, does that include eternal youth? Because "regenerating instantly from any injury" doesn't necessarily cover age. Since age isn't an injury. I'd hate to have to condemn another person to slowly turning to dust and having to stay sentient but immobile for the rest of time.

Also, you will no longer age at all.

Way ahead of you :greenie:

Miriel
08-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I have to pick Del Murder, but man, it would be a close call between him (who I love <3) and Lizzie my dog. Who I think is literally the physical manifestation of my soul.

Pumpkin
08-16-2012, 12:44 PM
Sharky :jess:

Pike
08-16-2012, 01:39 PM
It used to be I'd pick someone like Brian Reynolds or Soren Johnson but since they've both left us for Zynga I'll have to go with Huxley.

milliegoesbeep
08-16-2012, 01:58 PM
It's soppy and sad, but I'd pick my boyfriend. We're one of those annoying mushy couples and we've known eachother for a very long time already. Forever with him sounds pretty darn good.

krissy
08-16-2012, 02:12 PM
miley

Miss Lady Shelly
08-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to live forever so id find a way to pass it on to someone else.

Pike
08-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I never understood the not wanting to live forever thing. Even if "living forever" meant "turning into a drooling old person forever" (which I don't usually construe it to mean), I would much rather live forever as a drooling old person than die. Like, hook me up to the internet and I will happily be a drooling old person forever.

"But you'll see everyone you love die!" Sucks yeah, but unfortunately you're probably going to see a lot of people you love die during your normal lifetime anyway, so *shrug*

sharkythesharkdogg
08-16-2012, 04:52 PM

This is a nice dream, but the reality is that if we were the last to people left alive, and we were immortal, we would have to end up fighting each other along the edge of some cliffs in Scotland until one of us beheads the other with a sword, and lightning start going crazy. :(

Madame Adequate
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
I would pick PG, obviously. :colbert:

Shorty
08-16-2012, 05:21 PM
You might think I'd choose Shorty, but... I'd choose Jesus, you guys.

:aimmad:

If that's how things are going to play, I pick my dog over you. :aimmad:

Pumpkin
08-16-2012, 05:39 PM

This is a nice dream, but the reality is that if we were the last to people left alive, and we were immortal, we would have to end up fighting each other along the edge of some cliffs in Scotland until one of us beheads the other with a sword, and lightning start going crazy. :(

Why can't you just be romantic?! :colbert:

I would so win in a sword fight.

That's a lie. :(

Shiny
08-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I'd pick my dog. Without a question. Or this guy:

Since he's immortal already, but he might try to decapitate me.

Citizen Bleys
08-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want to live forever so id find a way to pass it on to someone else.

First smart answer in the thread.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-16-2012, 06:42 PM

Why can't you just be romantic?! :colbert:

I would so win in a sword fight.

That's a lie. :(

I'd pick my dog. Without a question. Or this guy:

Since he's immortal already, but he might try to decapitate me.

See?!?! You could be Conner MacLeod and chop my head off. That's romance.

Quindiana Jones
08-16-2012, 10:30 PM
When did we discuss having each other us immortal soulmates? I must congratulate myself on my excellent choice, but I honestly don't remember that conversation at all xD.

Faris
08-16-2012, 11:55 PM
If I had to choose someone from my life, maybe my bff Jesse. No one aggravates me or makes me laugh more. He's the male embodiment of myself.

Tifa's Moobs?

Erm... my cat I guess. Can't be a cat lady without one! In seriousness, maybe my dad because I look up to him the most and the thought of him being gone forever is one of the many revolving topics that keep me up at night. That is so long as choosing someone to be immortal with doesn't mean you spend everyday together.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 12:59 AM

First smart answer in the thread.

Except I said you didn't have a choice! I don't like when people worm their way out of answering the question :aimsun:

When did we discuss having each other us immortal soulmates? I must congratulate myself on my excellent choice, but I honestly don't remember that conversation at all xD.

It was a long time ago. I'm not too sure of the when either, but I remember the gist of our conclusions and I think you're the most suited to a life of immortality. You know, out of everyone I've had a similar conversation with :rolleyes:

Citizen Bleys
08-17-2012, 01:02 AM
OK, so my answer is I would choose whomever I hated the most at the time, because I assure you, being alive is going to suck after the heat death of the universe.

fire_of_avalon
08-17-2012, 01:30 AM
I would never, ever want this and I would never, ever subject another person to this torture.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 01:36 AM
I would never, ever want this and I would never, ever subject another person to this torture.

You don't have a choice. It's the rules!

fire_of_avalon
08-17-2012, 01:39 AM
NO.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 01:52 AM
But you have to. There's no other way!

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Jiro and I would go on a sex tour of the universe. We'd be like a supergalactic Captain Jack Harkness.

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Foa, Unless you vote for me as CK I will pick you and then you'll be double forced into immortality!

Really though I wouldnt pick anyone to be immortal with, as I assume existing through all eternity means meeting an infinite number of beings which garuntees that I will meet someone more interesting and imortal worthy than anyone I already know, especially considering continuous rise of average IQ's and all that (I think IQ's are rising or atleast they would be if the results werent scaled over years or whatever), I would wait for the next Nikola Tesla to come along. (you didnt specify I had to pick immediatly or that I had to pick at all).

Though thinking about it a bit more Id probably wait until humanity had grown to the very borderline of no longer being classed as homosapiens before picking someone, or just before the earth was about to be destroyed by a meteor or swallowed by the sun. Because unfortunately I feel I am just too racist to hang out with an alien or another species for the rest of eternity, And I especially dont want to be the last of my species, all alone.

Tigmafuzz
08-17-2012, 02:05 AM
But you have to. There's no other way!

But... since when is foa bound by universal rules?

Citizen Bleys
08-17-2012, 04:22 AM

Hitler?

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2012, 04:58 AM
At least then I'd have the time and hopefully the means to learn everything I've ever wanted to learn and master all the skills I've wanted.

I would probably just get a dog and choose him to be my eternal companion.

Citizen Bleys
08-17-2012, 05:07 AM
Actually, no, you wouldn't. If you were immortal, you could never retire. Nobody would provide an unlimited-term pension to an immortal, so you'd have to work full time until the collapse of civilization. Furthermore, in order to have an existence free of incessant harassment, you'd have to keep your immortality secret. I would say the maximum age you could claim while looking to be 20ish (cellular regeneration would rejuvenate you to the point where you stopped developing, around age 18) would be 40, so every 20 years you would have to fake your death and start anew. With no credentials, in order to get a non-fast-food job, you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school -- assume you put aside enough money before your fake-death to afford this--leaving you with a maximum career length of 16 years--not really long enough to build a new life before you would have to "die" again. Rinse and repeat until you are ready to hasten the destruction of all life on Earth.

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2012, 05:29 AM
Fuck you, I can live in the fucking woods. I've also seen Highlander and I can just do that.

Citizen Bleys
08-17-2012, 05:31 AM
No internet in the woods there, big guy.

NorthernChaosGod
08-17-2012, 05:41 AM
You're an asshole. :colbert:

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2012, 08:08 AM
Actually, no, you wouldn't. If you were immortal, you could never retire. Nobody would provide an unlimited-term pension to an immortal, so you'd have to work full time until the collapse of civilization. Furthermore, in order to have an existence free of incessant harassment, you'd have to keep your immortality secret. I would say the maximum age you could claim while looking to be 20ish (cellular regeneration would rejuvenate you to the point where you stopped developing, around age 18) would be 40, so every 20 years you would have to fake your death and start anew. With no credentials, in order to get a non-fast-food job, you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school -- assume you put aside enough money before your fake-death to afford this--leaving you with a maximum career length of 16 years--not really long enough to build a new life before you would have to "die" again. Rinse and repeat until you are ready to hasten the destruction of all life on Earth.

Sell your organs on the black market. It's fine because they'll magically grow back. Just need to spend a decade or so to learn surgery.

Tigmafuzz
08-17-2012, 08:35 AM
So I could just chop off all my limbs repeatedly and they'll instantly grow back, right? So I chop off my legs and then by the time I chopped off one of my arms the legs have already grown back? I could find out what my own liver tastes like, and my brain...

...I could totally eat my own brain.

Pike
08-17-2012, 10:24 AM
you would have to reattend postsecondary education, so of the 20 years of that "life" available to you, you would spend 4-12 years going through school

AWESOME!

Jiro
08-17-2012, 10:41 AM
Yeah but I wouldn't have to study because I'd know everything already. I'd just go back to school and smurf all the hot chicks.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 01:25 PM
I never understood the not wanting to live forever thing. Even if "living forever" meant "turning into a drooling old person forever" (which I don't usually construe it to mean), I would much rather live forever as a drooling old person than die. Like, hook me up to the internet and I will happily be a drooling old person forever.

"But you'll see everyone you love die!" Sucks yeah, but unfortunately you're probably going to see a lot of people you love die during your normal lifetime anyway, so *shrug*

I'm with you on all but the living forever as a drooling old person. If living forever meant becoming an eternal case of Alzheimers or a physical invalid with no hope of ever curing myself or replacing my decaying organic body with mechanical bits (both of which I admit are likely to happen eventually in some form) I'd rather be dead.

But yeah, I've never heard a good argument for not living forever. Particularly when the most likely alternative to living forever is non-existence. Existing is definitely superior to not. And the watching people you love die part is always a bullshit argument. It'll happen anyway. I've already watched people I love die. And you know what? Life goes on and I find new people to love. Sorry, but nobody is so special that I won't get over them dying given enough time.

As for who I'd ask to be immortal with me, I guess I'd be obligated to ask my wife. Though part of me wonders if I'd want to ask anybody. Sure, it sounds awesome to be palling around with someone forever, but forever is a long time. Even being able to promise you'd stay with someone for an entire lifetime could be a stretch if you happen to pick the wrong person, or even if events in your lives simply take you apart. If you both live forever, you're almost guaranteed to split up or hate each other eventually. I'm not sure why anyone would necessarily want that.

Criminally Vulgar
08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Life's short but there's only so much to it. I'd happily go when I reach old age. It would be a cycle of turgid experiences you've witnessed millions of times before and people dying. smurf that. Existing for the sake of existing is already dragging.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
I'd happily go when I reach old age. It would be a cycle of turgid experiences you've witnessed millions of times before and people dying.

I don't know about other people here, but there's a lot of stuff I would like to do in my life and I know I won't have the time to get through even 10% of it before I inevitably die. I would welcome an extended existence.

Loony BoB
08-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Danielle, but only if she'd want to live forever. Forcing such things on people is a tricky thing to consider.

If not Danielle, then obviously it would have to be Sir Alex Ferguson, ending the rumours he's going to retire each season forever.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
For me its not the whole seeing people you love die. I look at it more from a scientific view the what if parts. Like what if all natural resources all run out? What if the universe ends? What if the sun explodes? etc stuff like that. Some things like that are things I wouldn't want to see.

Quindiana Jones
08-17-2012, 07:24 PM
Jiro's immortality is not invulnerability. You have advanced regenerative capabilities, but you can be injured. As such, you don't need to worry about outliving the planet. At the very latest, you will die when the Sun expands and obliterates you.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 08:05 PM
What if the universe ends?

When the Big Crunch comes and the Universe ends, I would bond with the Sentience of the Universe and emerge in the next iteration as Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds!

Jiro
08-18-2012, 02:35 AM
Guys why must you rain on my parade? If the world ends then you enter a deep sleep through which you float through space until suddenly you land on another planet at roughly Earth 1000 BC level of development. There. Just answer the question: who would it be!?

Sephex
08-18-2012, 04:05 AM
In space the stars are no nearer.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 04:35 AM
STOP TRYING TO PICK HOLES IN EVERYTHING

Citizen Bleys
08-18-2012, 04:40 AM
but it's so much fun!

Shorty
08-18-2012, 05:40 AM
Dakoda, I would pick you. We will booze it up for the rest of eternity.

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 03:15 PM
If it was living forever but not invunerable I would simply join the army every 20 years or so faking a death in battle/conflict every time and become the eternal soldier or else learn different accents/languages and become a soldier in different countries. Or just form a mercenary band.

There's always money in being a mercenary and no one really pays much attention to who you are or where you came from.

Pike
08-19-2012, 12:53 PM
ITT

JL3n0hkeHbM

Mirage
08-19-2012, 01:05 PM
I don't know who but it would have to be someone who has a libido as crazy as I have.

Fujiko
08-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Just one? :( Well, obviously I'd choose o_O :kaoclove: He's the most awesome person I know, I love him, and we make a kickass team! :holmes: :kakapo:

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Rorschach... he's not boring.

Christmas
08-26-2012, 02:28 AM
MANUS, LOL.