PDA

View Full Version : History is so boring!

Mercen-X
08-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Betwixt the eras of the poet and the scribe, there were bards to sing of the whispered rumors among the nations dared not be spoken for their "benefactors" to hear. From lost eras wherein people were so far apart and knowledge could only be spread by word of mouth to now with world-wide-web-interconnectivity, history has been shared in one form or another. How accurate these tales have been comes down to the deliverer's measure of how willing his audience had been to listen. Sometimes, a simple story had to be spiced just a bit. History, sadly, is boring, as it repeats itself again and again. From the birth of a life, to the emotional and physical struggles to maturity, to the eventual death which befalls us all, there is no originality in history. Just look to Christopher Booker's "Seven Basic Plots" (found here: Denis Dutton on The Seven Basic Plots (http://denisdutton.com/booker_review.htm)) and you'll also see that there is no originality to the plot of literature either. You can go to tvtropes.org to see that every conceivable twist, turn, tunnel, turbulence, and truism (cliché) has been done over and again.

Strife and chaos rise because someone is unhappy with the present. That someone feels there is something missing from "life," unidentifiable as it may be. Sadly, without strife, there would be no forward momentum. We would be amoeba in a puddle. Some people are satisfied with the security of the familiar. Others desire a threat to their security (albeit subconsciously) so that they can appreciate life's charms.
But by and large, the cycle continues and the waves of the ocean continue outward toward the shore and the stars in the night sky continue ever outward as years pass. Perhaps someday new life will emerge, something we've never seen. But then that lifeform will begin it's own cycle. It will certainly be interesting to watch while it lasts, but as I've said twice or three times so far, history repeats.

Shlup
08-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Totally, dude. I hear you.

Pike
08-17-2012, 10:19 AM
History, sadly, is boring

:colbert:

:doublecolbert:

Tigmafuzz
08-17-2012, 10:32 AM
>thread title

No.

History is awesome and fun to study and how dare you ;_;

Jiro
08-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Shit's gonna get real in here soon enough. History isn't boring. I mean, I'm not one for dates or anything, but some fucking wicked stuff has happened back in the day. Did you know that people just up and built fucking castles? Did you know that people up and built fucking tanks and then sent them at each other like giant metal death machines? SERIOUSLY even shit like people got in rickety boats and raped and pillaged is good times.

Laddy
08-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Mansa Musa, oh how I long to be you~

Cuchulainn
08-17-2012, 11:12 AM
learning history is what makes me tick. love that shit. Obviously not all history. Some is boring as hell but human history is amazing

Sephex
08-17-2012, 12:00 PM
Aliens.

Clo
08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Nice essay, but I give you a C for purple prose.

Nobody likes that.

Shorty
08-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I find American history intensely boring, but history from other cultures fascinate me. I'm especially fixed on Egyptian history.

It's true that history does repeat, but each culture and country repeats it in it's own way and that makes it interesting.

Shauna
08-17-2012, 07:29 PM
Nah.

krissy
08-17-2012, 07:31 PM
There's just something I want to add:

Betwixt the eras of the poet and the scribe, there were bards to sing of the whispered rumors among the nations dared not be spoken for their "benefactors" to hear. From lost eras wherein people were so far apart and knowledge could only be spread by word of mouth to now with world-wide-web-interconnectivity, history has been shared in one form or another. How accurate these tales have been comes down to the deliverer's measure of how willing his audience had been to listen. Sometimes, a simple story had to be spiced just a bit. History, sadly, is boring, as it repeats itself again and again. From the birth of a life, to the emotional and physical struggles to maturity, to the eventual death which befalls us all, there is no originality in history. Just look to Christopher Booker's "Seven Basic Plots" (found here: Denis Dutton on The Seven Basic Plots) and you'll also see that there is no originality to the plot of literature either. You can go to tvtropes.org to see that every conceivable twist, turn, tunnel, turbulence, and truism (cliché) has been done over and again.

Strife and chaos rise because someone is unhappy with the present. That someone feels there is something missing from "life," unidentifiable as it may be. Sadly, without strife, there would be no forward momentum. We would be amoeba in a puddle. Some people are satisfied with the security of the familiar. Others desire a threat to their security (albeit subconsciously) so that they can appreciate life's charms.
But by and large, the cycle continues and the waves of the ocean continue outward toward the shore and the stars in the night sky continue ever outward as years pass. Perhaps someday new life will emerge, something we've never seen. But then that lifeform will begin it's own cycle. It will certainly be interesting to watch while it lasts, but as I've said twice or three times so far, history repeats.

Pike
08-17-2012, 11:02 PM
I find American history intensely boring

Really? I effing love American history. Freaking Revolutionary War (reading a great book on it right now), freaking Civil War, freaking wonderful gilded age and progressive era and shiz. :love:

Madame Adequate
08-17-2012, 11:20 PM
I find American history intensely boring, but history from other cultures fascinate me.

It seems to me that a lot of people tend to feel this way about the history of their home country, and I suspect it's because said history is usually - and I use this word loosely - taught in a repetitive and shallow fashion. Yay we're good. Brits learn about what we did in WW2 but we're less enthused to teach people about our perfection of the Concentration Camps during the Boer War. Yanks sure love themselves some "We saved the world like nine times!" but they're less keen on debating Grenada. So you get a few years of that same basic tit over and over and it impresses in a negative fashion, both because it's another boring-ass school subject and because it's always just a big lacking.

But when you really dig into it American history is fascinating. I mean, I'm a huge fan of all history; I devoured Pike's book on WW1 when I was over there, then a book about the history of the vidya, then a book about the Civil War, then when I got back to England went through a book on the history of violence in the media. Now I've just started re-reading Mark Mazower's Dark Continent, which is 20th Century Europe. But Americans have a pretty uniquely breakneck history. Y'all went from being a bunch of upstart colonists on the edge of the world to the paramount military, economic, and political force on the planet in a little over a century and a half. Starting from before the Revolutionary War, through that, the expansion westwards, conflicts with the natives, the Benevolent Empire/Second Great Awakening, the Civil War, the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, the Depression, both World Wars, the Cold War, the Civil Rights movement, the Space Race, Watergate, actually I could really just link you to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g)for the 20th century.

All this in two centuries. All this in a country that is still trying to figure out the promises it makes to its people and how to deal with the world as it is. It's a breakneck ascent to prominence.

In short, Shorty, you are wrong and American history is great.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 02:33 AM
The small amount of history I learnt in school really did turn me off Australian history. The fact that it is utterly disgusting and shameful also helps.

Bunny
08-18-2012, 03:06 AM
I'm a history major with a plan on becoming a high school teacher so I think my thoughts on the subject of liking/disliking history is pretty clear.

US History is my least favorite subject within history. It isn't because I find it boring, though admittedly a good portion of it is. Anything pre-20th century is awesome though. I just prefer Ancient Civ, Islamic, Japanese/Chinese, and religious histories more.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 03:24 AM
I find American history intensely boring, but history from other cultures fascinate me.

It seems to me that a lot of people tend to feel this way about the history of their home country, and I suspect it's because said history is usually - and I use this word loosely - taught in a repetitive and shallow fashion. Yay we're good. Brits learn about what we did in WW2 but we're less enthused to teach people about our perfection of the Concentration Camps during the Boer War. Yanks sure love themselves some "We saved the world like nine times!" but they're less keen on debating Grenada. So you get a few years of that same basic tit over and over and it impresses in a negative fashion, both because it's another boring-ass school subject and because it's always just a big lacking.

But when you really dig into it American history is fascinating. I mean, I'm a huge fan of all history; I devoured Pike's book on WW1 when I was over there, then a book about the history of the vidya, then a book about the Civil War, then when I got back to England went through a book on the history of violence in the media. Now I've just started re-reading Mark Mazower's Dark Continent, which is 20th Century Europe. But Americans have a pretty uniquely breakneck history. Y'all went from being a bunch of upstart colonists on the edge of the world to the paramount military, economic, and political force on the planet in a little over a century and a half. Starting from before the Revolutionary War, through that, the expansion westwards, conflicts with the natives, the Benevolent Empire/Second Great Awakening, the Civil War, the Gilded Age and Progressive Era, the Depression, both World Wars, the Cold War, the Civil Rights movement, the Space Race, Watergate, actually I could really just link you to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g)for the 20th century.

All this in two centuries. All this in a country that is still trying to figure out the promises it makes to its people and how to deal with the world as it is. It's a breakneck ascent to prominence.

In short, Shorty, you are wrong and American history is great.

Most of my education on American history involved how the marmons got from Missouri to Utah and what happened after that in various ways of retelling those events over and over. Even in public school, this is mostly what was focused on and repeated over and over. And then some stuff about mountain men and the west and the rocky mountains and ner ner ner. So really, Huxley, the worst parts.

Laddy
08-18-2012, 03:56 AM
I had a really awesome dream about being a scholar in the Abbasid Caliphate and my colleague and I philosophized on metaphysics, particularly on whether or not humans can personally experience an objective reality.

It was cool.

I personally enjoy Islamic history, sub-Saharn African history, and 20th century history.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Dude that is nerdy as fuck xD

Mercen-X
08-18-2012, 05:39 AM
Then why did you give me a C? In my experience, that's a good grade.

There's just something I want to add:

Betwixt the eras of the poet and the scribe, there were bards to sing of the whispered rumors among the nations dared not be spoken for their "benefactors" to hear. From lost eras wherein people were so far apart and knowledge could only be spread by word of mouth to now with world-wide-web-interconnectivity, history has been shared in one form or another. How accurate these tales have been comes down to the deliverer's measure of how willing his audience had been to listen. Sometimes, a simple story had to be spiced just a bit. History, sadly, is boring, as it repeats itself again and again. From the birth of a life, to the emotional and physical struggles to maturity, to the eventual death which befalls us all, there is no originality in history. Just look to Christopher Booker's "Seven Basic Plots" (found here: Denis Dutton on The Seven Basic Plots) and you'll also see that there is no originality to the plot of literature either. You can go to tvtropes.org to see that every conceivable twist, turn, tunnel, turbulence, and truism (cliché) has been done over and again.

I'm gonna guess wildly here: you didn't actually add anything, did you?

(history is boring because it's) taught in a repetitive and shallow fashion.

Now I've just started re-reading Mark Mazower's Dark Continent, which is 20th Century Europe.Exactly. History is not the past. History is a SUBJECT which is taught typically by droning idiots with no real interest in the subject themselves. Our past is interesting. History blows!

Naturally, anything written in the form of a novel is going to be interesting. It is incredibly difficult, however, to muster an ounce of enthusiasm over reading longwinded and often unrelated text supposedly detailing stories of incidents past.

Bunny
08-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Exactly. History is not the past. History is a SUBJECT which is taught typically by droning idiots with no real interest in the subject themselves. Our past is interesting. History blows!

This kind of angers me, to be honest. I have been studying history academically for roughly 7 years (four high school and three college) and have taken at least one history class every semester during that time frame. I have never had a bad history teacher. I have, of course, had ones that are less stellar than others, but I cannot say that any of them have been outright bad or "droning idiots."

Droning idiots and bad teachers are not limited to history. Every subject has them. You cannot single out history as being bad simply because you've had a bad time with some bad teachers.

Pike
08-18-2012, 10:27 AM
And then some stuff about mountain men and the west and the rocky mountains and ner ner ner. So really, Huxley, the worst parts.

What no, those are the best parts.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 10:30 AM
Not when you live in the west and also at the base of the rocky mountains! :(

Pike
08-18-2012, 10:38 AM
But that is where I live!

Clo
08-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Then why did you give me a C? In my experience, that's a good grade.

Well, it's not. People have been telling you it's good, but they lied to you.

escobert
08-18-2012, 05:57 PM
History is awesome!

Sephex
08-18-2012, 06:49 PM
I was actually discussing this with friends last night. We all basically agreed that the reason why so many people find history boring is that most teachers obviously simply go through the motions and follow a strict, boring outline. It's a shame too because history classes can easily be taught open and fun like just about any art class.

escobert
08-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Exactly! If you just read from the text book all day then, yes it's boring. But, if you get into it and get interactive with it it's very fun and interesting to learn about.

Mercen-X
08-19-2012, 11:30 PM
Bart Simpson really took a shine to "everyman" Harry S. Truman.

Aside from Abe being a vampire slayer, Hitler being the bride of Satan, and Kim Jong Il being an alien bent on exploding Earth, nothing in history particularly stands out.

iceman00890
08-20-2012, 05:07 AM
I had the best history teacher so history was never boring. He threw a Lego house at some popular girl once because she was mouthing off. He didn't even have tenure. He also told us that he didn't like sitting in the back of movie theaters because he didn't want to get a sexually transmitted disease. Yeah, history was so great.

Shoden
08-20-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm a little bit of a history lover but, when it comes to modern history around the world, even here, in Britland, I haven't a bloody clue to be personally honest. I'm more into ancient history, mythology and stuff like that. I took History at A level but dropped it within weeks as it was "Oh, Hitler did this and did that" christ, I wanted to learn about vikings bashing the crap out of eachother, the Iliad, the Roman Empire, The kingdom of Babylon but nooooo, all that was on the curriculum was a guy with a crap excuse for a comb over and the remnants of a cleveland steamer on his lip. Who kinda killed a whole... race... kinda.... yeeeeah, he wasn't exactly nice now was he.

Mercen-X
08-20-2012, 06:44 AM
Some pretty good stuff there.

YEAH, definitely, I have got to say that when you can make up history, it definitely comes off as a hell of a lot more interesting.

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
It seems to me that a lot of people tend to feel this way about the history of their home country, and I suspect it's because said history is usually - and I use this word loosely - taught in a repetitive and shallow fashion.

I agree completely. The history taught in grade schools is extremely shallow and often slanted. Thankfully I studied at one of the best American history colleges in the country, and my American history classes were awesome. The Revolutionary and Civil War eras are two of my favorite historical periods.

Peegee
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM
gr 9 (i never pursued it further) cdn history was basically french and italian people walking from one side of canada to another. zzzzz

strict history DOES tend to be boring. That's why I like to read about politics and economics - while those topics can be just as boring, they can be applied to this and that. To me, and Pike is going to slash my face with iron tail, history is just people making up stories based on this and that evidence. There's no application to any of it, and so I have started to state that it would do as 'the easiest degree'

If there's an easier way to get a degree I want to know.

Pike
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
history is just people making up stories based on this and that evidence.

This is actually true. That's why it's helpful to get as many different perspectives of the same historical period/subject as possible.

If there's an easier way to get a degree I want to know.

My degree was easier. Media & freaking Theatre. If you can BS your way through some essays analyzing Shakespeare and Hitchcock and if you can BS your way through helping other people make crappy sets for their senior project then you're good to go and will breeze your way to a Bachelor of Arts.

Shoden
08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Also note that most, if not all history is written from a singular point of view, the victor's.

Freya
08-20-2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah sarah you were in boring utah. Pike and I we were more ... wait no screw you guys! I got the best deal! I was right in the mix of it. I lived just an hour from custers last stand. an hour the other way form deadwood. Heck. The Wild West history was awesome!

Quindiana Jones
08-21-2012, 01:13 AM
I'm not as fascinated by modern history as I am by ancient history. I think it's because modern history still seems within grasp of my understanding. Yeah, this and that happened, but it's stuff that I can relate to and compare to current situations, whereas ancient history is so different, yet you can see the foundations of so many contemporary things. Bloody love it. That's one of the reasons I did classical civilisations at uni.

Hollycat
08-21-2012, 01:40 AM
The title of this thread makes me weep inside.

History is a glorious and powerful subject to be observed and cared for like a picture of a kitten doing something cute, like existing.

Jinx
08-21-2012, 02:23 AM
History, I do love.

I agree with the sentiments, though, that American History is boring as fuck.

Pike
08-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I agree with the sentiments, though, that American History is boring as smurf.

You all are insane.

The only thing more interesting than American history is military history between the 18th and early 20th centuries or so. Back when war was war and everyone had snappy uniforms.

Quindiana Jones
08-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Oh, Pike, I do love your sarcastic nature. :jess:

Pike
08-21-2012, 12:49 PM
:colbert:

Hollycat
08-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Pike, while I appreciate your enthusiasm, everyone knows the best war ever was the three kingdoms.

Jiro
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Not enough nukes in that one.

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
The title of this thread makes me weep inside.it's just your hypoallergies acting up.

observed and cared for like a picture of a kitten doing something cute.also boring

Iceglow
08-21-2012, 08:00 PM
I love history, in fact there aren't enough arm pairs on a colbert smilie to express how I feel about this thread title.

The only history I find hard to bother with is post WW2 stuff. The Cold War (including the space race), Vietnam, Korea, they're interesting enough military history always is but I find it quite hard to sit there going through the history of the Civil Rights movement of America ect. I can still enjoy reading it but I'm one of these people who prefers my history ancient. In particular Viking and medieval European history impresses me immensely. I would love to go up to the Shetney Islands and see the Neolithic era stuff up there.

Peegee
08-21-2012, 08:22 PM
It is almost assuredly true that people will make the same stupid mistakes if they aren't aware of history. And as for modern history, look at the last 12 years - world history and politics and economics (YES I WAS ABLE TO TIE ECONOMICS TO A PIKU THREAD I RULE) - the same crap gets done over and over and if you can't maintain a coherent memory past 2 years you will forget everything and have no context.

History is good.

Jinx
08-21-2012, 09:07 PM
It's almost assuredly true that people will make the same mistakes even if they ARE aware of history.

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 09:29 PM
Heh. I never said History was useless or pointless. Of course, it has a purpose, otherwise they wouldn't bother teaching it. But it's not easy to pay attention to something that is usually only the least bit entertaining.

Iceglow
08-21-2012, 10:37 PM
The fact that history often repeats itself is not because the people are ignorant of the past though to be ignorant of the past is to condemn oneself to repeating it. The fact is it is human hubris and arrogance which allows the past to repeat itself so frequently essentially the people involved in the repeat of the past be they generals, philosophers, politicians or freedom fighters believe that this time they will be different, that they can do the same thing as the past but they will succeed where the others failed. It's why human arrogance and hubris are so appalling to me.

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 11:44 PM
I honestly believe I could rule the world better than the last guy.

edczxcvbnm
08-22-2012, 12:49 AM
I love history but I loathe history class. History class gets bogged down on the who and that seems to be the least important detail. The tests are

This King of England tried to rape the colonists
a) King Henry the VIII
b) Chester the Molester
c) MacLeod the Highlander
d) King George the III
e) None of the Above

Which King is doing it seems like the least important detail. I am more interested in the Why, Where, How, What and a generalized When. You are not trying to make me a god damned historian so stop with the ultra specific dates and names. Know who invented something and the day they did it is no where near as important as what that invention meant for the time period and how it revolutionized transportation/production/seafearing/whatever and propelled humanity forward.

The who and the what is important but when you are trying to teach all of western civilization in a year(my school), those should not be half the questions on every test and you lose the point of history's lessons because you are not focused on that because you are not being tested on it.

Knowing that Eli Whitney invented the cotten gin in 1793 really doesn't help me in anything. It is a trivia fact and not much more.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 02:47 AM
Indubitably. All trivia facts can recently more or less be acquired by means of internet research. Not much of what history class currenly offers is interesting much less considerably useful.

Quindiana Jones
08-22-2012, 10:18 AM
You've hit the nail on the head, ed. History class is easily one of the hardest to teach, simple because it's so easy to do wrong. I read recently about this history teacher who did it so right that I fell in love with him a little. He set his class a challenge; pick your favourite person in American history, and explain to the class why they were awesome. The students would argue in favour of their person and try to convince the class theirs is best, then the class would vote on which one they liked most. The next week, or month, the students would make another argument in favour of their subject, but it would have to be with all new information about them. It really was a brilliant idea, because these students became really invested in these people. They had the liberty to choose who to represent, which ensured that they were genuinely invested in the subject.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 04:33 PM
G*d*a*n*d! Now I'm in love!

Clo
08-22-2012, 09:01 PM
I was working with a few students once who were struggling to pass the Regents exam that they needed in order to graduate. I sat in a few times on the history class to observe the students before I began working with them. The teacher covered the Vietnam War in three days.

THREE DAYS.

Pike
08-22-2012, 09:13 PM
I was working with a few students once who were struggling to pass the Regents exam that they needed in order to graduate. I sat in a few times on the history class to observe the students before I began working with them. The teacher covered the Vietnam War in three days.

THREE DAYS.

I will concede that this is the biggest problem with learning American History in this day and age. By the time you get to World War II or so, WHOOPS, IT'S SUMMERTIME! :monster:

Sephex
08-22-2012, 11:09 PM

THREE DAYS.

I will concede that this is the biggest problem with learning American History in this day and age. By the time you get to World War II or so, WHOOPS, IT'S SUMMERTIME! :monster:

That wasn't really a problem in my school district, but I will say that all history classes that I was in grinded to a halt when the World Wars arrived. I really like WWII stuff, but even I thought spending half a quarter on it was just too much.

Pike
08-22-2012, 11:38 PM
WWI is just as interesting and doesn't get half as much attention as WWII. Which saddens my inner grognard.

Jinx
08-23-2012, 12:21 AM
WWI is just as interesting and doesn't get half as much attention as WWII. Which saddens my inner grognard.

Arguably more interesting.

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 12:27 AM
WWI is very interesting, but you are missing the main point about world war II. A short egg headed man with a silly mustache managed to almost conquer Europe in 5 years. Also the Jews died and the atomic bomb and the firestorm and stuff.

Pike
08-23-2012, 12:37 AM

Arguably more interesting.

Agreed.

WWI is very interesting, but you are missing the main point about world war II. A short egg headed man with a silly mustache managed to almost conquer Europe in 5 years. Also the Jews died and the atomic bomb and the firestorm and stuff.

Yes but WWI involved the French getting their knickers in a twist because they wanted to wear bright red pants instead of camouflage. (I am not making this up.)

Jinx
08-23-2012, 12:38 AM
So, I had my first day of my history class today.

I don't like this bitch.

edczxcvbnm
08-23-2012, 03:11 AM
The history course I am watching right now is quick, easy and fun...and kind of informative because no history class I ever took tried to do all of humanity with broad strokes.

The Persians & Greeks: Crash Course World History #5 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mkVSasZIM)

Jiro
08-23-2012, 07:10 AM
Yes but WWI involved the French getting their knickers in a twist because they wanted to wear bright red pants instead of camouflage. (I am not making this up.)
Please teach me more about this because I want to giggle some more!

Pike
08-23-2012, 10:13 AM

It was in newspapers all across France; angry headlines like "FRANCE ISN'T FRANCE WITHOUT OUR RED PANTALOONS!"

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 10:56 AM

It was in newspapers all across France; angry headlines like "FRANCE ISN'T FRANCE WITHOUT OUR RED PANTALOONS!"

Then again the French were very reluctant to move away from things like Cavalry charges and other outdated pre-machine gun tactics.

Criminally Vulgar
08-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Who wants to know anything about the French?

Jiro
08-23-2012, 01:02 PM
It's nice to feel superior to someone sometimes.

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Point made. Sometimes history DOES serve a purpose! :tongue:

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Then again the French were very reluctant to move away from things like Cavalry charges and other outdated pre-machine gun tactics.

It was the First World War. Everybody was still using outdated tactics. Military uniforms were completely changed following WWI, as so many men died simply because they were easy to see.

Christmas
08-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Nothing annoys me like a multi-multi-multi-quoting.

It was the First World War. Everybody was still using outdated tactics. Military uniforms were completely changed following WWI, as so many men died simply because they were easy to see.

History is like multi quoting!! One thing leads to another!! :bigsmile:

Pike
08-26-2012, 01:53 AM
I like the way Christmas thinks.

Quindiana Jones
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM
I like making massive quote pyramids because it makes me feel like an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh, who were renowned for their poor internet forum etiquette.

Jiro
08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
I like making massive quote pyramids because it makes me feel like an ancient Egyptian Pharaoh, who were renowned for their poor internet forum etiquette.
I nominate you as our great Pharaoh.

Pike
08-26-2012, 01:53 PM

On the other hand, Hitler didn't exist back then, so they never had to worry about Godwin's law!

Ah, simpler times.

Raistlin
08-26-2012, 03:55 PM
On the other hand, Hitler didn't exist back then, so they never had to worry about Godwin's law!

Ah, simpler times.

They probably just had a different form. "You know who else likes to kick cats? Babylonians."

Old Manus
08-26-2012, 04:50 PM
No guys, WW2 was definitely cooler because more innocent people were slaughtered

Tigmafuzz
08-26-2012, 10:26 PM
No guys, WW2 was definitely cooler because more innocent people were slaughtered

By that logic, shouldn't Genghis Khan's reign be the coolest? Or should we all be inspired by posters of Chairman Mao giving thumbs up like the Fonz?

Jinx
08-26-2012, 11:30 PM
So, Egyptians started the first interwebz?

Good to know cat-worship on the WWW hasn't changed.

Raistlin
08-26-2012, 11:54 PM
There are cat statues from ancient Egypt with hieroglyphs on them that say "i can haz cheezburger."

Tigmafuzz
08-27-2012, 02:38 AM
There are cat statues from ancient Egypt with hieroglyphs on them that say "i can haz cheezburger."

But they didn't have cheeseburgers... THEY COULD SEE IN THE FUTURE?! I KNEW IT!

Christmas
08-27-2012, 04:10 PM

By that logic, shouldn't Genghis Khan's reign be the coolest? Or should we all be inspired by posters of Chairman Mao giving thumbs up like the Fonz?

MANUS talks no logic! :(