PDA

View Full Version : Vivi22's Ramblings of a Slightly Annoyed Man 1

Slothy
08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
So I must answer questions hmmm? Bring on these inquiries silly mortals.

- What makes a good member?
Someone who isn't an idiot probably isn't detailed enough for a prospective Cid's Knight's answer. Or at least it shouldn't be and I would like to bring some small amount of decorum and sense of responsibility to this band of scallywags. So what makes a good member? Someone who's wiling to contribute first and foremost. I don't care if you're the most opinionated asshole on the planet. In fact, that's probably a good thing. This is a forum. We're supposed to have discussions. Interesting discussions require differing opinions. And no one is more willing to state their opinions, popular consensus be damned, then an opinionated asshole.

But that's obviously not enough. Anyone can be a complete jerk with lots to say but nothing of any substance or value. You want to have an unpopular opinion? You damn well better be able to back it up with some sort of a logical argument supported by more than your gut feelings. And you certainly better argue the points and not attack your fellow posters because you don't know what a civil discussion looks like.

So are you able to do all that? Good because there's only one more requirement. Don't worry, it's a simple one worship me as a god participate and have fun. Post in threads. Post new threads. Make a blog. Join in on forum events. Tell a joke. Laugh at a joke. Tell us your deepest darkest fears. Be a good sport when we laugh at you because that fear is moths. Send in census answers and laugh along when Jiro or myself tell you how stupid you are.

Without participation and fun there is no forum and all of you lose the one redeeming quality any of you has in my eyes.

-What makes a good CK?
Whatever the opposite of Wolf Kanno is. Seriously though, it's going to be someone who participates and takes the lead in making these forums a cool place to be. Yes, there's rules and they have to enforce them and all that jazz, but it's not about that. It's a question of whether you're going to take charge and help keep this place interesting. The official powers and responsibilities are second to that because without that, there's no need to enforce any rules because this place would be dead and there'd be no one to police.

What would you like to change about Eyeson to make it better?
Not sure I'd change much. I think the big thing right now is that there's a ton of events that happen at the same time and not a whole lot of announcement and buildup that goes into a lot of them. As a user it get's hard to keep up with them all all the time. I think I'd like to see a bit more coordination there, and perhaps better timing of them all, though it's difficult with so many people with different schedules and availability running different things. It might help if the event sub forum actually saw more use though. Very few events which seem to occur ever actually get discussed there. I suppose some don't need the discussion, but at least having a thread to hammer out a rough schedule for things might help, and it'd certainly help keep some of us who are less reliable in terms of schedule (okay, some of us meaning mostly me) on track.

What color would you prefer your CK tag to be?
I dislike the colour blue. Sure it's no yellow, but it's still pretty bad. My favourite colour is green so that. I'll campaign to change it once I'm in. And no, the irony of my favourite colour being a combination of my least favourite isn't lost on me.

EDIT: Since Freya decided to clarify her terrible description, I'm still going to go with green. I figure a cheerful colour like green will combine with my angry tone to make people unsure of just how much trouble they're in and keep them on their toes. And once internet technology has sufficiently advanced, my tag will simply trigger a blast from a phaser on the highest stun setting which will be embedded in all computer monitors, televisions and smart phones. My tag will have embedded code triggering the targeted users computer, or any they have logged into recently to target the next person to attempt to use the device.

If you were to be thrown into the thunderdome with one of the current staff, who would you go against and what would be your tactic?
Two enter, one leaves? I'm too practical not to want the best chance of survival in such a situation, so assuming she doesn't get to bring her AK in I'd probably have to pick Pike. She looks pretty tiny while I am, as mentioned in my blog, very much not. My tactic would be to simply destroy her as quickly and brutally as possible. Think Bane unleashed on a kitten or something similar.

Sorry Pike.

What does FF(and EoFF) mean to you?
FF is that series that I loved growing up and which I wish would get its crap together so it can be good again. It was a trend setter, and play ground for experiments in story telling and game design and in many ways responsible for my present love of games. It's that series I remember as one of the fonder memories from my childhood, and even my teenage and early adult years.

EOFF is Arkham Asylum after the Joker got loose and the inmates are running the show. You don't know what the hell's going on, who these people are or what they'll do next. You also don't know why the hell you like it so much. If EOFF is the Joker, consider me it's much more masculine Harley Quinn minus the accent.

Threads:
http://home.eyesonff.com/general-square-enix/144076-einh-nder.html#post3113994
http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-viii/144079-where-did-fall-apart-you.html#post3114021
http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiii/144081-what-worked-game.html#post3114050
http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-tactics/144085-belias.html#post3114131
http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/144151-how-would-you-fix-final-fantasy-vi.html#post3114896

http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xiii/144080-advice.html#post3114062
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/144077-rank-espers-dialogue.html#post3114108
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/144071-evolution-gaia.html#post3114110
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xii/144069-favourite-training-spot.html#post3114111
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/144020-its-actually-out-real-now-3.html#post3114115
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-viii/144067-junctioning.html#post3114125
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-iii/143831-square-enix-release-final-fantasy-iii-kickstarter-ouya-system.html#post3114128
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/144068-dark-aeon-battle-guide.html#post3114144
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/144068-dark-aeon-battle-guide.html#post3114150
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vi/144094-ups-downs.html#post3114243
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy/144097-peninsula-power.html#post3114247
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-iv/144105-calcabrina-dancing-doll.html#post3114342
http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/144110-what-do-you-feel-best-team-final-fantasy-ix.html#post3114417
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-ix/144071-evolution-gaia-2.html#post3114628
home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-tactics/144115-playable-story-characters.html#post3114629

Jiro
08-17-2012, 02:52 PM
We do really have a good time telling people how wrong they are. I should probably do another reveal tonight, but I might finish my assignment first. ANYWAY ONTO JIRO'S FABULOUS COMMENTS:

Honestly the thing that stands out to me is your comment about events. You're probably right. I mean, the Events Committee has been dead since like forever, but we tend to have a bunch of events that fizzle. I don't know what it is, but maybe you are right about the organisational aspect. Build ups are good; generally I think spending time waiting for people to be ready is time wasted, but when our active memberbase is small and sporadic, planning might be useful.

Good work man :up:

Freya
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
We hyped this up :colbert: We had hype threads as well as twitter and fb hypes about it for lil over a week prior. JUST SAYING.

Poor pike :(

Jiro
08-17-2012, 02:58 PM
I don't think this event is the one being sprung upon anyone, honestly :p You did a good job at hype now GET OUT OF OUR THREAD. This is for man talks about how to win the competition.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Honestly the thing that stands out to me is your comment about events. You're probably right. I mean, the Events Committee has been dead since like forever, but we tend to have a bunch of events that fizzle. I don't know what it is, but maybe you are right about the organisational aspect. Build ups are good; generally I think spending time waiting for people to be ready is time wasted, but when our active memberbase is small and sporadic, planning might be useful.

Good work man :up:

I don't even think it's just a matter of waiting for people to be ready because that may or may not happen when you want. Even if we left everything as it is but had a place where people could say we're starting this around this time, and then post the link when the event starts. And if there was more of a staff push to get the word out that'd help as well. I've missed the start of events before because I literally did not see them in the mess of threads in a forum I rarely visit, or where it's one stickied thread among many stickies that sat there for months or years. Links in signatures, forum announcements, special icons in the titles of event threads, and maybe even threads announcing the event in General Chat for those who don't frequent other forums might be a good boost to events.

Hell, I'm in the Gaming forum every single day and I missed/forgot about the babes tournament until I got a PM reminding me. That's how easy it is to miss this stuff sometimes.

EDIT: Yeah, Freya, I'm definitely not talking about this event. I'm talking about things like the census which get about the same 20 or so people every time and have the same staff members consistently not participating. Or my gaming competitions which have seen participation drop off recently (admittedly I will take much of the blame for the hiccups that has experienced), or the screen name competition which I didn't even realize was happening until Proto mentioned this would conflict with it. I just think we could be doing more to promote these smaller events than necessarily happens right now.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
DUDE. Gen Chat thread, permanently stickied. OP can be updated like a calendar and new posts can be when events begin. Maybe we need to have more forum announcements, too.

I know Gen Chat is not the goddamn holy grail of places but most people who participate in events will see them there. For everything else there's Mastercard targeted threads elsewhere :aimsun:

Slothy
08-17-2012, 03:15 PM
For everything else there's Mastercard targeted threads elsewhere :aimsun:

And HC Mognet spam. Actually, maybe all we need to do is inform HC of a new event and let him be HC.

Freya
08-17-2012, 03:17 PM
He always wants to help out with those things heh

Jiro
08-17-2012, 03:22 PM
You can't fault his enthusiasm one bit! I like this idea. I feel like this event is already a success thanks to Vivi22.

Freya
08-17-2012, 03:25 PM
I'll let your Einhänder thread count even though I was hoping for FF stuff. It's unique and not just like "lol whats your fav ff hairdo :D"

Slothy
08-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I'll let your Einhänder thread count even though I was hoping for FF stuff. It's unique and not just like "lol whats your fav ff hairdo :D"

It is a lower forum and the general Square-Enix section doesn't get much love outside of the occasional Chrono, Vagrant Story, Dragon Quest, and sometimes Super Mario RPG threads. A lot of games tend to get lost in the shuffle and ignored which are really good, and Einhander is one that almost never gets mentioned these days since it was such a small title even then. I figured it deserved some love.

Pike
08-17-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm gonna bring my AK-47.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 02:12 AM
He's got the Enterprise.

Slothy
08-18-2012, 03:18 AM
He's got the Enterprise.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22394511.jpg

Psychotic
08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
You're posting a lot of words and I have a bajillion blogs to read. Can you express yourself in 10 words and also possibly monosyllabically?

Jiro
08-18-2012, 12:01 PM
He the best, dawg. Aw yeah. Vote him for win.

Slothy
08-18-2012, 01:44 PM
He the best, dawg. Aw yeah. Vote him for win.

I'll go with this since it's less snarky than anything I'd come up with.

Freya
08-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I dont' understand how it wasn't clear in the first place x.x

Slothy
08-18-2012, 06:56 PM
See my new reply in the round one thread and it'll be perfectly clear.

Freya
08-18-2012, 07:09 PM
You weren't paying attention cause you were at work. PFt most my posts in this section have been from work. EXCUSES.

Slothy
08-18-2012, 09:52 PM
You know, you were a lot nicer that time I kicked your ass in Starcraft.

Freya
08-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Shaduppp. Heh

Slothy
08-19-2012, 04:13 AM
I love you too Freya. :love:

Jiro
08-19-2012, 05:19 AM
The sexual tension is so thick I could bathe in it.

Slothy
08-19-2012, 01:31 PM
The sexual tension is so thick I could bathe in it.

Well, you are quite attractive.

Wait that's not what you meant is it...

Psychotic
08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
are you married?

if so

is it to a girl?

or like

idk

a volcano

i've always wanted to marry a volcano

tell me what it's like to be married to a geological thingamabob

i will be grading your response!

Slothy
08-20-2012, 06:25 PM
I am married.

To a girl.

Though it's a lot like being married to a volcano from what I understand of the geology of volcano's.

I'm not sure I can explain the details without breaking a few forum rules.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with your volcano fantasy instead of marrying a woman.

At least when the volcano blows it's top it will kill you outright instead of slowly over the several decades.

Psychotic
08-20-2012, 06:36 PM
This guy is my new favourite.

Jiro
08-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Marrying a volcano would be hot.

Del Murder
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
I like your events Vivi. I'm always up for more events and better promoting the events we have. If you become a CK you can promote tour events all you want. The issue is that we only have so many promotion tools available. Sticky threads, announcements, Twitter, and like you said people get used to missing those things. Unfortunately, good ol fashioned pm badgering usually works best.

Also, I like you better when you aren't pretending to be smarter than everyone else.

Slothy
08-22-2012, 04:50 PM
I like your events Vivi.

Glad to hear it. The census obviously is a popular one though I won't take much credit for that since WK started it and did a lot of the heavy lifting on most of them. I want to revisit the gaming competition in the future, but I think it needs some reworking. There's been an obvious issue maintaining interest with participants, which in turn makes it difficult for me to maintain my interest in running it.

I'll have to make a feedback thread sometime to get thoughts on what worked and what didn't. Obviously my inconsistent scheduling was an issue that needs fixing, and maybe I'll need to turn to the events committee in the future for help running it when it doesn't work for me, but I feel like finding games everyone was interested in playing was difficult too. And of course, just keeping people's interest in something requiring such a high degree of participation for an entire year may have been too lofty a goal. Maybe it should just be a quarterly thing or something.

Twitter

I want to point out that until Freya mentioned that this event was announced on Facebook and Twitter that I had no idea EOFF had any presence on either site.

Also, I like you better when you aren't pretending to be smarter than everyone else.

Pretty sure I only really do that for the census, though things need to change after we actually finish this one. Like I've said before, but which I don't think I've conveyed well enough, maintaining that persona is mentally draining and I think it's honestly run its course. I honestly have to put myself in that bitter and hateful frame of mind to get there and it usually leaves me feeling drained and even depressed on occasion. I haven't even been able to keep it up this time, so it's definitely not going to rear it's head for quite a while after this census. I guess I wouldn't make a good actor if the census gets to me. :D

Del Murder
08-22-2012, 07:19 PM
An event that requires you to do something or own something outside of this site will have its challenges. I stopped playing the game competition during Doom and Starcraft because I simply do not own those games.

Slothy
08-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I figured that was the largest sticking point. Going for emulated or free to play titles certainly seems to be the way to go, though it can be hard to get multiplayer in then, and I think it's good to have multiplayer games mixed in. Starcraft had a surprisingly good turn out considering the ownership requirement. I suppose it helped that it's one of the most popular RTS titles of all time though. I'll definitely be looking into other options for next time.

Jiro
08-23-2012, 12:43 AM
The easier to emulate titles are the ones I need.