PDA

View Full Version : Advice

blackmage_nuke
08-17-2012, 03:30 PM
For some reason I felt a strong twinge of annoyance every time a tutorial came up expressing techniques I was already employing (Such as certain ways to use certain classes in conjunction with other classes). I felt it to removed the few tactical challenges in the game. Also when they told me "It's best to avoid monster that are too dificult " I took that at as an insult and proceeded to kill every one of those shelled bastards in that area.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 03:42 PM
I hate when tutorials explain shit I learned myself. It makes me feel less validated or intelligent, not more so as if I thought of the idea faster. But rarely are you told to avoid monsters you should actually avoid.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 03:48 PM
That avoid monsters that are too hard thing bugged the crap out of me. Largely because the monsters in that area weren't hard, they just took longer to kill and it was tedious. I actually ended up avoiding most of them because of that, not because I couldn't kill them. They really should have saved that message for Gran Pulse where there are actually monsters that you can't kill when you get there just standing there in front of you begging to be attacked.

Jiro
08-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Oh yeah. First battle once I got to those plains saw me get my ass handed to me repeatedly. It pissed me off.

krissy
08-17-2012, 06:19 PM
i find it cathartic
like 'hah i've been doing it right all this time'

Sephex
08-17-2012, 11:45 PM
I never let that kind of stuff get to me. If I don't want advice and there is no way to turn it off, I just press a button a couple of times. Not that big of deal. That said, I usually read it and try experimenting anyway!

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 02:42 AM
Gran Pulse is exactly where I would've saved the message about monsters being too hard for. I also found it completely amusing and yet irritating that for how long the tutorial is, it never really explained well how upgrading worked. I don't like playing a 20+ hour tutorial, which it is... if you're levelling your Crystarium up all the way on each segment to discover "Hey, we didn't explain this you're going to have to look it up on Gamefaqs" I think it was the flaw some games get where the tutorials are overly interfering with the basics but there's not enough optional tutorials to give deeper insight in to game mechanics. Something I'd appreciate more.

Still The early chapters if you don't just blitz through them and enjoy going for a grind to level your Crystarium up is actually really enjoyable.

Del Murder
08-18-2012, 03:19 AM
You can always just shuffle through the tutorial quickly if you don't want to see it. I personally like tutorials but not when they are overblown for every single new feature. I can't remember how bad FFXIII's was.

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2012, 08:40 AM
It's not that I dont like tutorials, some are genuinely helpful with features that havent been revealed, so I read them but some of them take them reveal tips where self discovery of them are what make the game fun

milliegoesbeep
08-18-2012, 01:03 PM
I always despised tutorials that belittle you like you're a three year old child. Most of the 'help' guides there are explain crap that is either explained in the game or is just common sense. Makes me worry how dense some people are getting.