PDA

View Full Version : Convince me!

Shorty
08-17-2012, 08:40 PM
This thread is about making a compelling argument in order to convince someone to play a certain Final Fantasy game. We all have our favorites, but this isn't necessarily about picking a favorite to argue about. It's not about making a debate! It's about using facts, points in the story, character development and gameplay (hide those spoilers!) simply to interest someone to pick up that game. Pick your favorite, pick a game that you like but feel doesn't get much credit or pick the ultimate underdog of the Final Fantasies that you'd like to see more people playing. Even if someone touches on points that you wanted to include, use them anyway! Expand on them! Get creative!

I'll start by making an argument for Final Fantasy VIII. As far as I know, this game is not well-loved among the hardcore FF fans, but it's the first one I ever played and I love it for that reason.

- FFVIII uses a system unlike any other to aid you in your battles - the junctioning system. This system uses magic to strengthen your battles. By matching up magic with your abilities you're able to manipulate your skills and use them to their maximum potential and it's fun to mix and match different magic based on what monsters you're fighting - ie, junctioning Firaga with your gunblade when you're up against a creature who has a weakness for fire. It comes in pretty handy.
- The card game in itself is a pretty genius and fun little side quest where you can take a breath from regular leveling up and battles and running around from place to place and instead focus on a little competitive cardplay. Collecting as many of the higher-up cards can be useful as they can be refined into particularly useful items for battles later in the game that cannot be obtained otherwise.
- I'll be honest - the characters of the game really do not start out strong. They are angsty teenagers who are thrown together and they don't like it. Just angst all over the place. You really get to see them grow, though, as the game progresses and as things happen they figure out for themselves what's important and what isn't. This is probably pretty standard for all games, but I particularly like the way this group works together because they all have their own personalities that compliment one another.
- There's a point in the game where things really start to heat up and your party has to split off from one another. You need to make a decision to send who where and for me, it was at this point in time where things really tensed up because one half of the party embarks on a dangerous timed quest and the other goes to begin on an equally as important and possibly as dangerous quest and deciding who to send where can be tough because they're both important missions. I really liked that the game put you in such an urgent situation and to be faced with splitting up a party like that.
- Some crazy hard bosses to fight if you're not well-prepared. They give you a good run for your money.
- This game has some great plot twists and some not-so-great plot twists. The great ones outweigh the bad ones, imo, and make the story worth it, so persevere!
- This game literally takes you all over place. From Garden to Garden, up to the mountains, inside the forests, prison, deep in the desert, out on the open seas, inside crazy caves, reveleating secret hidden cities, back into the past and finally, up and out to space!

Ready, set, go!

Jowy
08-19-2012, 04:49 AM
FFIV has a unique difficulty curve due to the inability in earlier versions to select who or what could accompany you. In previous games, you could either assemble a balanced party or have one character change to a different role should the scenario arise. Dungeons required for progression will be difficult solely because of the group composition; Having to be conservative with magic in a dungeon full of enemies with huge magic weaknesses, attempting to have melee fighters act as mediocre white mages. FFIV was the first to have spells learned due to your current level as well and not purchased from various stores throughout. Also, for that first playthrough, you will see lots of bad things happen to characters who's company you may enjoy and be unable to prevent it. When I was young I never wanted to progress because of that, but eventually knowing you'd have to say "goodbye" to a loved one was a part of life.

Plus the music's just great!

Madonna
08-19-2012, 06:11 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance plays a great deal differently from the main Final Fantasy series, and for that alone deserves a look at. You still have a magical and wonderous world, lots of elements from the Ivalice Alliance crossing over, and the judge system is perhaps one of the more challenging and unique combat systems in the series. At a base level, it plays like its named predecessor, and I swear up and down it is as dark as the same, so please do not be turned off by the bright and almost child-ish graphics. There is always more stuff to do in this game if you ever find yourself wanting to explore, grind, or get away from a storyline battle. I do not know what else to say; give this game a go and you will not regret it.