PDA

View Full Version : Being Nosey

Yar
08-17-2012, 08:47 PM
So I am apartment-sitting for my friend while she is in Korea. Her upstairs neighbors seem to fight a lot.

I like to be nosey and eavesdrop into their arguments. I will pause whatever is on TV or whatever so it's really quiet and then I can listen. I can hear everything in the living room. I'm still not quite sure I have the whole story but I think one thinks the other is cheating on him and he's upset. Or something.

The shouting is kind of annoying when I'm trying to sleep, but hey this is like some Jerry Springer shiz and I can't stop listening...

When was the last time you were nosey? :greenie:

Shorty
08-18-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm completely nosey. My landladies were fighting once a little while ago and I did the same thing - slowly turned down the volume of my tv to listen to their argument (which was incredibly loud, so I didn't have to turn it down very much).

I wouldn't go through diaries or other peoples' phones or email or anything, though, cause that's mean. Unless I had a good reason to do it. Looking at you, Rantz.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 03:56 AM
I spend a lot of time zoning out and just listening to conversations around me. You learn some interesting things!

Sephex
08-18-2012, 04:03 AM
I try not to be nosy. I figure that if I am meant to know something the proper events will unfold properly.

That said, there have been times where I hear something and it just sounds so interesting, so I HAVE to listen.

Tigmafuzz
08-18-2012, 05:25 AM
I try not to be nosy, but sometimes it's hard not to when I get concerned with a person's general well-being. I used to eavesdrop on the arguments of a couple that used to live across the street because I knew the guy was abusing his girlfriend, and one day I actually ran across the street when I heard a scream and busted her door down. Turns out she had freaked out because she dropped one of her grandmother's dishes. Apparently her and the guy had broken up a few weeks prior. I paid for the door :(

Miss Lady Shelly
08-18-2012, 07:26 AM
My stepmom is the most nosiest person i know. She has to know everything. So to avoid this i dont talk to her that much or i make up stuff.

Sephex
08-18-2012, 08:42 AM
I wonder how often she has visited my Facebook and became horrified at my status updates.

Freya
08-18-2012, 09:07 AM
I eaves drop on people when they are having a conversation near me. Sometimes if I have something creepy/clever/they're idiots to say i'll comment and it throws them off. Then they give me funny looks for eavesdropping in on them. When i'm in a large empty room and they are standing like 2 feet from me. It's really not my fault that I can hear them. Stupid people.

Clo
08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Who doesn't eavesdrop?

Faris
08-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Unless I'm overhearing a really silly or brainless comment, I don't tune in on what people are saying near me. It's none of my business so :p

There is some gossip that I will be told or ask about but I don't do anything with that information, just most of it all to myself.

Shiny
08-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Well, I'd like to call what I do investigating...

Once I went through my sister's diary, but it was disappointingly boring. Her free association was interesting though. I'm one of those annoying people that has to know everything unless you are in the majority of people I don't care to know much about. I thank the internet for making my investigations more easy.

I'm not really big on eavesdropping though. I guess I got tired of it by having to forcibly listen to people have way too personal conversations on public transport.

fire_of_avalon
08-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm pretty nosy, but I don't really gossip about what I find out. I just like to know things. You know, just in case.

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2012, 05:40 PM
I dont like to invade privacy so when Im in someones home I try to gather as much detail as I can without actually touching anything, so no opening drawers that arent already open or closely examining objects that isnt out in the open. It requires a little more thought but you can gather a lot of info on someone by just observing.

As for eavesdropping unless im trespassing on someones private property i wont actively try to avoid hearing someones conversation unless it particularly disgusts/disintrests me.

I also do a lot of facebook stalking

escobert
08-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I try not to but it happens some times!

NorthernChaosGod
08-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Who doesn't eavesdrop?

I don't.

Iceglow
08-19-2012, 12:39 AM
Normally when I'm going somewhere there's a pair of earphones/headphones filling my ears with some sweet music pretty damn loudly. So I don't often hear the conversations around me. However if I'm sitting in a pub with people I know I often tend to focus on the person I am speaking to at that time by looking directly at them. This allows me to effectively follow the convo only with my eyes lip reading everything they say. In turn this free's my ears to hear what others around me are saying. Doing this on work nights out is a common thing with me, surprising how people haven't caught on to this before now. I think the only reason people are noticing this now is the fact I'm embroiled in a grievance with my company because of the fact that I finally got hard proof on the bullying taking place.

Zeldy
08-19-2012, 12:46 AM
I don't like eavesdropping but sometimes you don't even realise you're doing it. I feel guilty if I hear too much, though. I've been living with friends recently and two are dating and have the next room and are either arguing or having sex, I didn't really know what to do with myself when I'm sat there gaming and suddenly start hearing things. Just close my door and turn up the volume..

~*~Celes~*~
08-19-2012, 12:48 AM
I eavesdrop all the time, it's fun being in the know! :D

fire_of_avalon
08-19-2012, 04:12 AM
I dont like to invade privacy so when Im in someones home I try to gather as much detail as I can without actually touching anything, so no opening drawers that arent already open or closely examining objects that isnt out in the open. It requires a little more thought but you can gather a lot of info on someone by just observing.

As for eavesdropping unless im trespassing on someones private property i wont actively try to avoid hearing someones conversation unless it particularly disgusts/disintrests me.

I also do a lot of facebook stalking
Just to be clear, I am not nosy to the point that I look through people's things, ever. That's totally wrong.

But I facebook stalk like the dickens.

Shorty
08-19-2012, 04:15 AM
If I am in your bathroom for the first time, I will go through your cabinets. Just sayin'.

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 04:17 AM
I don't like to do it, but I do tend to eavesdrop and listen to many conversations. I usually don't pay attention to them, but when I do, I listen carefully. I especially do this if I hear my name being mentioned.

Tigmafuzz
08-19-2012, 08:11 AM
If I am in your bathroom for the first time, I will go through your cabinets. Just sayin'.

You are a horrible person.

Shlup
08-19-2012, 09:32 AM
If they're talking loud enough for me to hear them then it's fair game.

Clo
08-19-2012, 02:19 PM
But I facebook stalk like the dickens.

I'll stalk you if you stalk me!

Shorty
08-19-2012, 04:08 PM

You are a horrible person.

I like to be aware of my surroundings.

Pike
08-20-2012, 01:18 AM
I don't Facebook stalk very often but I twitter stalk sometimes. Mostly people who are hilariously prone to drama like my ex

Jiro
08-20-2012, 03:09 AM
Internet stalking is totally legit these days, not even weird or wrong at all. Public domain, bitches! :aimsun:

Shiny
08-20-2012, 06:30 AM
Speaking of nosey, Justin what are you doing? I need to know everything you did in the past week and in vivid details. Skype or private message me plz.

Also love Facebook. The only reason I got Facebook is to stalk and network with people, which sometimes goes hand-in-hand.