PDA

View Full Version : Peninsula of Power

Sephex
08-17-2012, 10:23 PM
I was once accused of cheating for using the Peninsula of Power in one of my many playthroughs of the original Final Fantasy.

Just in case you don't know what I am referring to: Peninsula of Power - The Final Fantasy Wiki has more Final Fantasy information than Cid could research (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Peninsula_of_Power)

I have a policy when it comes to any video game. If something is left in the game that isn't a cheat code, then it is fair for me to abuse it. This is especially the case in older games that were designed to screw the player over at every turn.

I also try to play games at a quicker pace as I age and have to handle more responsibilities. I won't stoop to throwing a Game Genie on the cart, though. If something like the Peninsula of Power was left in, intentional or not, then all is fair in love and video games!

What say you?

Alpha2099
08-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm down with it. If you're not putting in a code, you're not cheating. It's the same as exploiting a glitch. It's already in the game, and you didn't put it there, so you're allowed to use it.

Slothy
08-17-2012, 11:14 PM
Perhaps it's my love of competitive games, but I've been of the opinion for a long time that if there's something in the game which is not an outright hack or cheat, then it is always fair game. Glitches happen. Developers make mistakes. And trying to pretend that we know what went through their head when they made something is silly.

And if I feel that way about multiplayer, you can imagine how I feel about people claiming stuff like this was cheating in a single player game. :D So I say have at it. All's fair in love and video games.

ReloadPsi
08-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Hell, you're not expected to be able to beat those monsters at that level anyway, so if you're curbstomping them for easy money then you're bound to be doing something right.

Sephex
08-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you guys. I didn't really expand upon this in my original post, but one of my cousins said this to me (not the same cousin I mentioned in a story in a different thread in this forum, for the record). It kind of got to me because when we were younger, he used to put in cheat codes or use Game Genie on EVERYTHING.

Now all of a sudden I'm the cheater for using a minor exploit. What? Eh, maybe he feels bad for the amount of times he cheated in other games and is trying to make up for it.

Del Murder
08-18-2012, 11:21 PM
I used to Game Genie the smurf out of everything. I never knew about the peninsula of power though. I typically don't grind for levels in these games so I probably wouldn't use it, but I say it's fair game if it doesn't require a code or device.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 05:11 AM
I hardly think it is cheating. You have to kill the enemies anyway.

Mirage
08-19-2012, 12:38 PM
If you're not modifying the game code or memory space (which is what gamesharks/genies/whatever do), it's not cheating. All you do is operate at maximum efficiency within the rules set by the developers. If the devs forgot to clarify one of their "rules" (aka sloppy programming), that's their problem, not yours.

A peninsula of power that I often use in FF7 is the alarm thing in Junon. Triggering the alarm there as soon as you get there will turn the area hostile and you will run into enemies meant to be fought when one of those weapons attack the city, which is midways in disc 2.

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 06:56 PM
The Peninsula of Power and Hall of Giants were intentionally added by the dev team to reward exploration. It's not a cheat, you are meant to use it.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:28 AM
A peninsula of power that I often use in FF7 is the alarm thing in Junon. Triggering the alarm there as soon as you get there will turn the area hostile and you will run into enemies meant to be fought when one of those weapons attack the city, which is midways in disc 2.

I abused the hell out of this one. Level 50 before I got the Tiny Bronco.

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
I agree that there's nothing wrong with using the "Peninsula of Power," and it has been something I've exploited ever since I read about it on Unne's old FF1 site. But I see most people defending it as "not really cheating," and so I think the discussion should be more fundamental: even if it is "cheating" (however that vague term is defined), so what? Games are there for you to enjoy, and if you enjoy them best with Game Genie or typing in cheat codes or exploiting unintended glitches, why should anyone else care?

VeloZer0
08-20-2012, 03:47 AM
Bingo.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 04:25 AM
The Peninsula of Power and Hall of Giants were intentionally added by the dev team to reward exploration. It's not a cheat, you are meant to use it.

Ohhhh, that's good. I never thought of it that way, but I should have. Next family gathering I think I am going to get blackout drunk and argue with my cousin about this by using that point as my reasoning. If he still doesn't listen I will throw him through a window and play the victory theme from my cell phone.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 05:52 AM
That is clearly the only thing to do. He deserves it now.

Slothy
08-20-2012, 05:58 PM
I agree that there's nothing wrong with using the "Peninsula of Power," and it has been something I've exploited ever since I read about it on Unne's old FF1 site. But I see most people defending it as "not really cheating," and so I think the discussion should be more fundamental: even if it is "cheating" (however that vague term is defined), so what? Games are there for you to enjoy, and if you enjoy them best with Game Genie or typing in cheat codes or exploiting unintended glitches, why should anyone else care?

This is essentially where I sit. It's in there. You don't have to do anything special other than walk around a specific spot, so what's the big deal? It's only made all the more ridiculous when you consider anyone complaining about it as though it's cheating is complaining about cheating in a single player game. We can let that one sink in for a bit. If they're not affected by it unless they choose to use it in their own game, then anyone complaining about it is being silly at best, and a self-righteous ass at worst.

Roogle
08-24-2012, 02:59 AM

Was that stated in an interview? I am curious as I thought the Peninsula of Power was an oversight in development. I could see the Hall of Giants being passed off as a type of training place for players that wish to make their party stronger at that point in the game.

Psychotic
09-01-2012, 08:06 AM
If you were pressing a button that said "gimme EXP and gold" over and over again, yeah, cheating. Fighting a load of high level monsters before getting those rewards? Not so much!

VeloZer0
09-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I think the idea is that fighting high level monsters keeps you on your toes and requires interaction with the game involving some level of skill. I think fighting high level monsters for exp is much further from time=exp than endlessly blowing through low level adversaries.