PDA

View Full Version : Blitzball!

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 02:16 AM
Blitzball is one of the best mini-games I have played ever, in fact it was a game I spent so much time on even after I got all of Wakka's upgrades from it that I literally could still pick it up and sit back down to play league after league of Blitzball.

I loved Blitzball so much I honestly would've brought an FFX Blitzball sports game spin off and admittedly I don't like sports sims. I just don't see the point in them when you can generally speaking do the sport yourself.

So lets discuss Blitzball and how awesome it is!

Sephex
08-18-2012, 03:55 AM
I didn't like it back then. In fact, I downright hated it so much that back in the day on these forums, edczxcvbnm or myself would make a "Blitzball Sucks" thread to amuse us.

Now? Well, I don't hate it. It's still not for me, but I can see why some people find it fun.

Jiro
08-18-2012, 04:23 AM
It needs way more depth. I reckon you could turn it into a real time sport too. Having a 3D playing field would be an improvement too.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 08:30 AM
I also was not very fond of Blitzball. If I gave it another shot, I might change my mind but in general, I remember not liking it.

But girls don't like sports, so.

Iceglow
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
It needs way more depth. I reckon you could turn it into a real time sport too. Having a 3D playing field would be an improvement too.

This is essentially how I imagined a spin off game to be, a fully functioning 3D Blitzball Sphere. It'd basically be quite challenging because of the 3D functionality and the need to know where your team is at.

I agree though that it often proved way too easy to recruit the best players though once I did recruit them I'd often reset the data for the mini-game allowing me to train them from level 1 for a challenge.

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
I agree a real time game with 3d environment wouldve been much more enjoyable

I mainly had a poor opinion of it because the first game you get to play is very difficult to win and I assumed all games would be like that so I avoided it for a while.

milliegoesbeep
08-18-2012, 02:40 PM
I used to avoid blitzball the first time around when I played it but now I really enjoy it! I think it was more the music that drove me nuts in the first place, that and I didn't really understand it well enough to enjoy it. Now, it is definitely one of the best minigames that FF has put in (except maybe chocobo related things) and I think if they ever made a remake they should create more depth and design for the game.

Goldenboko
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Blitzball is the one thing I wish Square actually made a spinoff for, because it could quite easily be it's own game and do very well. Put in some smarter AI, an intuitive control scheme, 3rd dimension, make the game operate in real time, and you just came up with the coolest sports game. Ever.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 04:15 AM
I still want to actually physically play Blitzball. But yeah, if you recruit Wedge at the beginning while you're still in Luca then you pretty much cannot ever lose.

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 04:46 AM
I'm not very good at Blitzball. It's pretty hard to understand, and the last time I made any attempt to win, I still freakin' lost!

The Abes will forever be the worst Blitzball team with me playing. :(

Goldenboko
08-19-2012, 04:59 AM
I'm not very good at Blitzball. It's pretty hard to understand, and the last time I made any attempt to win, I still freakin' lost!

Al-bhed Psych's take that one for me. Fuck you Nimrook!

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 05:32 AM
Blitzball is the one thing I wish Square actually made a spinoff for, because it could quite easily be it's own game and do very well. Put in some smarter AI, an intuitive control scheme, 3rd dimension, make the game operate in real time, and you just came up with the coolest sports game. Ever.

Yeah, I actually think this would be a great idea for a game if Square went ahead with it. I do hope that the controls would be easier to understand than it currently is in FFX.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 01:55 AM

The Abes are Tidus' Dream Zanarkand superstars. The Besaid Aurochs are the ones you're failing ;)

Old Manus
08-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Once again Iceglow, you have proven yourself to be absolutely wrong. Blitzball was horrible to the extent that getting the Jupiter Sigil was something I feared more than the Venus Sigil and the Sun Sigil. Together. The games were slow, clunky, bizarre in terms of spacial geometry, and vulnerable to the 'score once then sit behind your goal' exploit, which lucky allowed me the solace of being able to go and make a cup of tea or something while I waited for the game to end.
Jesus, the hours I put into that minigame.

Jinx
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
Blitzball sucks.

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 06:57 PM
I liked the special goal shots. I hated in X-2 that you couldn't control the goal shots.

Freya
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
I really loved blitzball to be honest. I LOVED IT. I thought they should have made a spin off sports game. I was so awesome a it. The only time I ever lost that fist game was when I first got my ps2 and didn't have a memory card. I played that game all the way to the lightning temple place and paused it over night so i could save it when my mom got me a memory card int he morning, and i had a power outage :(

Jiro
08-22-2012, 02:23 AM
The Luca Goers are super tough at the start but they quickly end up the worst team in history.

Jinx
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
The Luca Goers are super tough at the start but they quickly end up the worst team in history.

They just didn't Goer anywhere.

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 02:09 AM
The Ronso's ability to withstand a lot of tackles makes Zev Ronso a solid starter for an early on player.

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 02:14 AM
I didn't like it back then. In fact, I downright hated it so much that back in the day on these forums, edczxcvbnm or myself would make a "Blitzball Sucks" thread to amuse us.

Now? Well, I don't hate it. It's still not for me, but I can see why some people find it fun.