PDA

View Full Version : Leveling up vs. Remaining at low levels

Shorty
08-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Rantz and I played through FFVIII once and he insisted on remaining at a low level throughout the first part of the game by turning enemies into cards as often as he could. I could not understand for the life of me why! He explained that remaining at a lower level caused the monsters to also remain at a lower level and were easier to beat that way. I had never thought of doing that before.

I prefer to level up as quickly as I possibly can reaching my party to level 100 as soon as possibly and trading in the secondary characters to level up when I have the time. The monsters get harder, but you also get stronger!

What about you? What's your strategy for getting through this game?

Gamblet
08-18-2012, 12:32 PM
I just play through the game normally, junction the best stuff endgame, lvl to 100 etc.

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2012, 01:10 PM
The only advantage I can see to leveling up is the monsters will have better magic to draw, otherwise the growth you gain from levels is nowhere near strong enough to match the enemy's level boost

ReloadPsi
08-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I kill everything I meet and turn a blind eye to the implications with regards to the levels of either myself or my enemies. At least having the enemies at higher levels makes the game more challenging when you otherwise utterly break it with the Junction system :P

Shorty
08-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I would agree. It's difficult until a point, but when you've mastered at junctioning and have some badass weapons and some good magic, everything turns pretty simple.

Except Malboros. I can never beat them no matter what fucking level I'm at.

Sephex
08-18-2012, 07:09 PM
The only time I ever level anything is with the few GFs you have after the Dollet sequence, and that's only to unlock a few abilities from them. From there, I just trek through the game not really paying attention to character levels while junctioning with the best magic available that doesn't take up too much time to acquire. I spend the most time playing Triple Triad to get the kick ass cards for mod purposes too.

ReloadPsi
08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
The only time I ever level anything is with the few GFs you have after the Dollet sequence, and that's only to unlock a few abilities from them. From there, I just trek through the game not really paying attention to character levels while junctioning with the best magic available that doesn't take up too much time to acquire. I spend the most time playing Triple Triad to get the kick ass cards for mod purposes too.

God yes. 180 Triples between everyone and three Hyper Wrists before you even go to Timber is incredibly sexy. Auto-Haste by the end of disc 1 is also incredibly sexy. Kind of essential too if you've done the run I just did which entailed having no magic stock whatsoever.

Del Murder
08-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I hated the idea that enemies level up with you in this game. It just didn't make any sense. One time I did spend a lot of time in the training room grinding to level 30 or something until I realized there was no point since the game is about as easy as it would be at low levels.

ShinGundam
08-19-2012, 03:35 AM
I hated the idea that enemies level up with you in this game. It just didn't make any sense. One time I did spend a lot of time in the training room grinding to level 30 or something until I realized there was no point since the game is about as easy as it would be at low levels.
I don't know, i kinda like it because it expand enemies' movesets and abilities.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 04:53 AM
As soon as I leave Balamb for the Fire Cavern, I grind until I have Card Mod. Then I card the Fasticholan-Fs until I get a few Status-Js for both Quetzacotl and Shiva. Then I card one of every enemy on Balamb island and then I basically stop carding for the rest of the game. I finished the game at something like Level 80 because of some level grinding somewhere or other but generally it doesn't matter. Junctioning is the most important thing and Rantz is a lameoid for trying to make the game easier.

iceman00890
08-20-2012, 04:50 AM
Yeah, level grinding for this game is a bad idea. I learned that the hard way.

Gamblet
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Level grinding is pointless, but if you want a somewhat challenging battle with Omega, you should lvl to 100.

Shorty
08-20-2012, 06:56 PM
The battle with Omega was one of the reasons I was glad that I got to level 100 to fight him.

Agent Proto
08-20-2012, 07:44 PM
During my first playthru, I mostly played at low levels, and only grind when I'm near any bosses.

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 07:48 PM
I generally grind a fair amount in games, and started to do so on my first playthrough of FFVIII... until it was pointed out to me that leveling is utterly pointless, and even arguably counter-productive if the point is to make the game easier. This is one of the many issues which really bugged me about this game.

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
If you junction right you can blow through FFVIII without keeping low leveled. Omega is always level 100 if I remember correctly, so being low leveled hurts you in that one instance.

I generally grind a fair amount in games, and started to do so on my first playthrough of FFVIII... until it was pointed out to me that leveling is utterly pointless, and even arguably counter-productive if the point is to make the game easier. This is one of the many issues which really bugged me about this game.

I like it when games discourage grinding. Of course in FFVIII it didn't really work because once you figured everything out you go from grinding battles to grinding Triple Triad games.

Jinx
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
I may be stupid, but how does it really affect anything. If they enemies level with you, they also stay the same level with you, correct? So why does it matter if you level?

Also, you aren't actually beating an enemy if you card them. That's a pansy way out. You fail.

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2012, 08:33 PM
I may be stupid, but how does it really affect anything. If they enemies level with you, they also stay the same level with you, correct? So why does it matter if you level?

Because Junctioning!

Shorty
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
I always saw the purpose for leveling was to beat bosses. The enemies level up with you based on the average of your party, but boss levels remain the same, right?

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
They level up in increments of ten I think.

Iceglow
08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Except Malboros. I can never beat them no matter what fucking level I'm at.

The trick there is to use Pain in your status defense. Pain and Silence basically immunes you to the worst of the elements and you can ensuna the rest off.

In my opinion it's best to junction 2 non-conflicting GF's to each character and stick with it this way all characters are equipped even those not in battle. This allows for the full 1000 compatibility with every GF. Because not every GF learns everything you need you use Gyshal Greens to wipe some of the base abilities out. For example, why would you need Status Def-J when you can have Status Def-J x3. Also if I remember correctly, Sum Mag+10% and Sum Mag+20% ect don't stack even if they do there's a card item what gives Sum Mag+80% or something ridiculous.

Rantz
08-21-2012, 07:33 AM
I don't stay on low levels to make the game easier, that's a side-effect I could take or leave. I stay on low levels when I do a completionist playthrough so I can max out my stats with the Bonus abilities later. :p The game is easy as hell as long as you know how to junction, no matter what level you are!

Jiro
08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I don't stay on low levels to make the game easier, that's a side-effect I could take or leave. I stay on low levels when I do a completionist playthrough so I can max out my stats with the Bonus abilities later. :p The game is easy as hell as long as you know how to junction, no matter what level you are!
A likely story...

Jowy
08-25-2012, 07:51 AM
I only leveled up and progressed with the story when I wasn't able to get any decent Triple Triad cards from the NPCs.

Rocket Edge
08-27-2012, 11:13 PM
I usually try to keep at low levels until I have attribute bonus abilities so I can bolster my stats. Other than that I carry on as usual.

Sword
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
I usually try to keep at low levels until I have attribute bonus abilities so I can bolster my stats. Other than that I carry on as usual.

I do this too. I just use the Card command the whole way through the game until I get those stat bonus abilities then just grind at the end so I can use as much magic as possible without reducing the stats they are junctioned to.

Iceglow
08-28-2012, 11:11 PM
ffs ok so I know it's slower but Devour can pop any stat to 255 or whatever eventually just takes longer.

Skyblade
09-03-2012, 08:40 PM
My big problem is, since you can't Card enemies at full health, you have to take longer in fights to avoid killing them until you can Card them.

Which, to be frank, isn't worth it. Junctioning gets your stats high enough that you can just ignore levels forever, which is a much nicer way to get through the game than either grinding or Carding/Breaking everything.

Roogle
09-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I simply proceed through the game as normal without taking any breaks to gain levels. It actually provides a pretty streamlined path through the game as there is never a need to grind or train for a specific boss battle of some kind.

Night Fury
09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
I would agree. It's difficult until a point, but when you've mastered at junctioning and have some badass weapons and some good magic, everything turns pretty simple.

Except Malboros. I can never beat them no matter what smurfing level I'm at.

Only time I can beat those are when Odin is summoned.

Jiro
09-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Only time I don't hate Odin is up against the Malboros.

Night Fury
09-12-2012, 10:15 AM
Only time I don't hate Odin is up against the Malboros.

He's such a random ass. When I'm trying to draw magic or mug from monsters he shows up, or he'll show up at battles against easy monster.

Anytime I could ACTUALLY use his help, he's not there :mad:

Gamblet
09-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Gilgamesh almost never shows up. :(

Christmas
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Rantz and I played through FFVIII once and he insisted on remaining at a low level throughout the first part of the game by turning enemies into cards as often as he could. I could not understand for the life of me why! He explained that remaining at a lower level caused the monsters to also remain at a lower level and were easier to beat that way. I had never thought of doing that before.

I prefer to level up as quickly as I possibly can reaching my party to level 100 as soon as possibly and trading in the secondary characters to level up when I have the time. The monsters get harder, but you also get stronger!

What about you? What's your strategy for getting through this game?

Powerful GFs have ability which add additional stats to your character when they level up. So if you remain at low level and attain the GF, you can gain additional benefits to your stats when you level up. Of course, if you are at a high level, your benefits will be lesser. :bigsmile:

I cannot really remember so I might be wrong, think you need some time to power up the GF.