PDA

View Full Version : Battle Speed

blackmage_nuke
08-18-2012, 12:09 PM
Whenever there is an option to change the battle speed I always move it to the fastest setting, because i feel anything else would be cheap. Also when there is a choice in wait and active for menu choices, I always chose active, even though it would clearly by much easier to play wait.

Does anyone else decide to just make things harder on themselves?

Jiro
08-18-2012, 12:27 PM
As I recall, setting the battle speed actually just changes the enemies' speed. Or perhaps that was just for one instalment. Regardless, I've begun using Active battle settings recently because I feel I am up to a greater challenge.

Gamblet
08-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Of course! Challenge is half the fun.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't mind battles at the regular speed. I also think Haste is a complete waste of a spell - I'd rather use a turn to heal or do some damage instead of being able to speed up the meter.

ReloadPsi
08-18-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I also consider highest battle speed and Active setting to be some kind of maximum difficulty setting and I almost always play that way. By the way I've never beaten FFX-2 on the highest battle speed :P

Sephex
08-18-2012, 07:01 PM
I generally bump up the speed a bit, but not always to maximum. I think the battle speed affects FFIV the most in terms of difficulty.

Del Murder
08-18-2012, 09:23 PM
I don't adjust the speed but I always set it to wait mode. I like being able to think through my decisions. That's why I really like the Tactics and FFX system over the FFXII and XIII system.

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 04:36 PM
I think I prefer wait over active. I like to think of what I should do as I usually hate being rushed into doing something I may regret doing while fighting. Of course, if wait is not an option, I'll just leave the battle setting alone since I don't want to speed things up.

Goldenboko
08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Gotta go fast.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
depends: character level + boss difficulty
If I get trashed first through and feel too lazy to level up, I just switch the battle speed for better management.

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 03:33 AM
For ATB games I generally keep the speed the same and set it at wait. I do like thinking when there's a whole bunch of options, and sometimes it takes a moment to find a particular spell or item.

But for games where a lot of the choices can be automated, like XII, I think active is better suited for the game. It just feels right.

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm like blackmage_nuke in that I make everything go as quickly as possible so I have to make snap decisions.

ReloadPsi
09-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I just remembered: I always play FF7 with the battle speed down somewhat due to just how active Active actually is. With the battle speed all the way up in that game, Haste is literally ineffective unless it's on Wait mode.

Hollycat
09-02-2012, 05:41 PM
You should always increase battle speed to max since in several installments, enemies will use instantaneous attacks that have no charge time, so it always helps the party to increase speed.

ReloadPsi
09-02-2012, 06:57 PM
You should always increase battle speed to max since in several installments, enemies will use instantaneous attacks that have no charge time, so it always helps the party to increase speed.

Yeah, I found FF9 especially unpleasant with that trick. Sometimes it was the only way to make the game hard too. I love the game but with the right party it was a freakin' cakewalk.

Gamblet
09-02-2012, 11:16 PM
The game was easy with all the party combinations.