PDA

View Full Version : Ending series of events (so, spoilers)

Shorty
08-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I have to be honest, I was not happy with the ending of this game. I would love to maybe have a more clear interpretation of what actually happened. My main question is - why did Tidus have to disappear at the end? And what was the purpose of Dream Zanarkand in the first place?

I guess I missed the entire point of the story in that sense, and it's been a while since I played it so I'm not exactly sharp on the story but I would love some clarification on why the fayth felt this specifically needed to happen. To deal with Sin? But Sin keeps showing up! Somebody help the questions in my head!

Freya
08-18-2012, 07:06 PM
We should have a FFX playthrough again. I can't quite remember the details of it either D: I just remember being all "Waaaaaat a dream?"

Shorty
08-18-2012, 07:08 PM
I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! I would also like to do a playthrough! I'm trying to figure out how to set up an emulator on my PC right now.

Sephex
08-18-2012, 07:23 PM
Tidus was a dream of the Fayth. Resolving the plot in FFX would wake them up. Therefore, Tidus has to disappear. The purpose of dream Zanarkand was created to preserve the people who lived many years ago to help stop Sin.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 07:26 PM
But that seems so cheap! "We're going to use you folks from years ago to help us and when you're done, we don't need you anymore," essentially?

Sephex
08-18-2012, 07:33 PM
But that seems so cheap! "We're going to use you folks from years ago to help us and when you're done, we don't need you anymore," essentially?

It wasn't as cold as that. They have been keeping up the dream world for an awfully long time. They even put it in terms like, "We are tired of dreaming." They more or less reached their limit of preserving the dream world. Granted, they probably would have stopped dreaming if someone else resolved the plot within the HUGE window from when they started till the end of FFX, but that was the point to begin with.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 04:14 AM
There was some kind of catch-22 if I recall correctly. If Yevon died, the fayth would wake up, but if they didn't kill Yevon / if they used the final summoning then it would just repeat the cycle anyway.

blackmage_nuke
08-19-2012, 09:08 AM
It's not that bad, the people of dream zanarkand get to hang out on the farplane.

Goldenboko
08-19-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm not going to retype my 30 page report on this so instead I'm going to quote it because I already posted something in the "Dream Zanarkand" thread that pretty much answers your questions. And some others.

Interpretation is always important to a good piece of art in my opinion, yes I'm pretty much calling FFX art. Dream Zanarkand was never 100% fleshed out in the story, it isn't fully explained, but it is explained enough to both suspend disbelief and provide a pretty killer plot twist. Any type of fully explaining Dream Zanarkand would've completely destroyed the Majesty and mystery that made it interesting (I'm looking at you midi-chlorians).

Does Dream Zanarkand - the one Tidus is from - actually exist? Obviously it is a dream of the fayth and all, but does it maintain a constant progression of time or is Tidus simply "born" into Spira with all these memories?

This appears to be a yes. QUEUE SCRIPT!

Tidus: What did you do?

Fayth: The remaining summoners and the townspeople that survived the war...
They all became fayth-fayth for the summoning.

Tidus: The summoning... You mean Sin?

Fayth: No. I mean this place. A Zanarkand that never sleeps.

Tidus: What?

Fayth: The dreams of the fayth summoned the memories of the city. They summoned all the buildings, all the people who lived there.

The Fayth clearly labels you, Jecht, and all of Dream Zanarkand a "summon". This is pretty important, for all intensive purposes, Tidus and all of Dream Zanarkand are Aeons. Unlike Aeons though, the Fayth dreaming the inhabitants are also spending a lot of their time dreaming buildings, streets, lights, etc. which probably explains why Tidus wasn't sufficient for Yu Yevon to take control of and begin reconstructing Sin out of.

I still want to know how the smurf Jecht got to Spira.

And then travelled back to a dream world as Sin to retrieve his son.

Another Final Fantasy game with a shoddy time travel plot.

Your post makes me question if you played the whole game (as there is no actually time travel plot). It's pretty simple actually, and it brings up my next point: he swam there as Sin, it is this fact that really ties the whole plot together.

Yu Yevon was the leader of the inhabitants of Old Zanarkand, when Bevelle came and destroyed they gathered together under his instruction, and turned into the Fayth to dream Dream Zanarkand, so that Zanarkand may live on in some form. But Fayth cannot summon, it is Yu Yevon who actually summons Dream Zanarkand to the real world along with Sin. This is what links, Sin, Yu Yevon, and Tidus. This is why when Yu Yevon is defeated, Tidus disappears, because Tidus kills the one who is summoning him.

Fayth: Well?

Tidus: We fight Yu Yevon.

Fayth: Yes... If you defeat Yu Yevon, it will end. Tell me, what do you know about Yu Yevon?

Tidus: He's what makes Sin come back!

Yuna: Sin is his armor. It protects him.

Fayth: Yu Yevon was once a summoner, long ago. He was peerless. Yet now he lives for one purpose: only to summon. He is neither good, nor evil. He is awake, yet he dreams. But...maybe not forever.

Yuna: I don't know. What if Yu Yevon jumps again?

Tidus: Then we'll take it down again! We'll fight him until there's no place
left to run!

Yuna: I never thought it would come down to this.

Tidus: Yeah, I know. Hey, the fayth, they're tired of this whole thing, too.
Let's let them rest.

Yuna: The fayth said it's pointless to keep dreaming. The dream will disappear, he said. What did he mean? And what is it that Yu Yevon is summoning from within Sin?

Tidus: The dream of the fayth.

So, Tidus is pretty much a summon as we've decided before. His fayth is the fayth pile on top of Mt. Gagazet, and he is summoned by Yu Yevon. Sin is summoned by Yu Yevon, to protect him during the summoning of Dream Zanarkand and to protect Dream Zanarkand.

I think you could travel there by airship, it's just that there haven't been any airships since Sin came about. The Al Bhed find one, but they're too busy kicking Sin's ass once they get it in the air. As for traveling by boat, I always wondered if maybe the city was in the sky. Or maybe they need a pokemon that knows Whirlpool.

Jess has got this one pretty much wrapped up, except it can't be in the sky. The most logical conclusion drawn from the game is that it is in the middle of the Ocean somewhere.

This explains:

How Jecht got to Spira

When Yuna and Tidus are talking about Jecht on the S.S. Liki, Tidus says

Tidus: He went out to sea for training one day...and never came back. And no one's seen him since then.

Literally right after this Sin attacks their boat. If that isn't suppose to send a message than I don't know what is. Let's not forget that a few scenes before that we saw Sin attack the boat Rikku was on, and right after that we watch Sin destroy Killika. The game makes it pretty clear, if you go near the ocean Sin is going to smurf you up. But, that's not to say he leaves no survivors, let's not forget all of the people on the boat with Rikku survived. It's pretty easy to assume Jecht sailed out too far, got Sin's attention, Sin destroyed his boat and said "meh, problem solved.", but didn't realize he was dealing with the dream of a Legendary Blitzer, a sport where you breath under water and beat the crap out of each other.

How Sin can travel back and forth from Spira to Dream Zanarkand

Pretty much obvious, Sin is the one who's stopping anyone from sailing randomly to the middle of the ocean, nothings going to stop him from making a surprise visit.

Why no one from Spira has ever stumbled upon it

No fleet or army had a chance to stand up to sin, let alone on his own turf (the ocean). If you got far enough into the Ocean and Sin wanted you dead. You probably are. It took 1,000 years for someone to slip through (Jecht). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHzfZ_0dRQo)

How Auron gets there

This one does seem like the biggest stretch when you first think about it. Jecht has enough willpower to stop himself from doing the main goal Yu Yevon set him out to do? Consider the link in the last point. When given the task to kill those he has no connection to, he does it with brutal efficiency. When given the task later on to kill you, Yuna, and others he cares about, he really puts up little fight. His most powerful attack he shows off to the crew as a warning, letting them know "Hey, be careful, I'm about to use this to try and kill you. FREAKING STOP ME."

Jecht says in your final encounter with him, "I can't hear the Hymn so well anymore. Pretty soon, I'm gonna be Sin. Completely." Sin has only been defeated not even a single handful of times (too lazy to think of the exact number). The progression to becoming Sin is gradual, some Final Aeons had decades to become fully possessed. Jecht had been Sin a relatively short amount of time which is why he still had control to allow Auron to come and go.

isn't it because all three of them are unsent? We know Auron is, and Jecht is Sin, and at the end we see Tidus disappear. I think that's the main reason -- they're intrinsically dreams of the fayth, to an extent. One could argue that Seymour could go there too if he wanted, and whoever else in the ranks of Yevon who are dead.

I think it's somewhat intentional that the plot is 'shoddy.' I think it adds to the story if it's a little uneven in this context. It makes the mystery all the more interesting... and plus, we wouldn't still be talking about it if it was all laid out in stone.

I don't think you can reach dream Zanarkand by airship because it's kind of like Heaven... you can't go up in a plane and just 'keep going' until you get there. But then of course you get into religious arguments about the very existence of Heaven in the first place. I think that because it's a dream of the fayth, such an idea is implied. The play on words is illuminating in that regard.

1. Technically Jecht and Tidus aren't unsent. They don't even exist.

2. I don't like the plot of the game I'm playing to "be mysterious" because Square was too lazy to come up with answers to the mess they created.

Also, how the hell does Tidus think that Zanarkand is the only place that exists....EVER?

There's a lot about Dream Zanarkand fleshed out throughout. They answered a lot of questions in the dialogues, indirectly. Any direct answer to most of these questions wouldn't have had the powerful affect that the clues given throughout the game did.

It wasn't just this, they killed Yu Yevon, see above.

Pete for President
08-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Great post Goldenboko. Though I have read/seen/played pretty much everything about this game at least 5 times, I wouldn't be able to explain it any better. And I'm still intrigued. Nailed it!

Shorty
08-22-2012, 06:22 AM
Wow, thanks Gobo! That's quite a lot of information xD

I think the game warrants enough for me to play it through again. If I decide I still don't like it the second time around, then it must just not be for me.

Freya
08-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Holy crap gobo!

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Auron is killed by Yunalesca, As far as I can tell this allows him to get close enough to Sin to pass through him in to Dream Zanarkand as promised to Jecht. Tidus and Auron pass through from Dream Zanarkand to Spira when Jecht decides it's time hence the attack at the start of the game. Why Auron and Tidus are separated in this I don't know but Tidus is found by Rikku and her crew in Baaj Temple. After being rescued by them there he the ship is attacked and he miraculously washes up on Besaid I doubt he washes up there by coincidence. Jecht, Sin took him there. Why? To meet Braska's daughter, Yuna because Jecht knows that Tidus must journey with her. He attacks Killika to make Tidus hate him. He attacks the troops at Operation Mi'hen to prove that No one but Tidus and Yuna can end this, to ensure Tidus will come to kill him no matter what. Jecht didn't chose his son because he thought Tidus would do it he chose his son because Tidus HAS to do it. In the end when Yunalesca explains about the Final Aeon, the others are preparing themselves to make that sacrifice but Tidus decides that there has to be another way, he cannot accept it. Auron knew this all along but he leaves it up to Tidus and Yuna to discover this for themselves.

Mercen-X
08-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Concise.

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2012, 11:39 PM
We should have a FFX playthrough again. I can't quite remember the details of it either D: I just remember being all "Waaaaaat a dream?"

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one! I would also like to do a playthrough! I'm trying to figure out how to set up an emulator on my PC right now.
This.

Skyblade
09-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Tidus is essentially a fragment of a giant Aeon (said Aeon being the so-called "Dream" Zanarkand, which is believed to be floating off the coast of Spira somewhere, and has been for a thousand years). The massive fayth wall near Gagazet is the fayth to summon that Aeon. Yu Yevon is the summoner performing the summoning calling that Aeon. When Yu Yevon dies, the Aeon, including Tidus, vanishes. What exactly is so hard to understand?

It's like someone killing Yuna. Whatever Aeon she was summoning at the time, Ifrit, for example, would go away as well. No summoner, no Aeon.

Now, why the fayth lost their power and shutdown is a worthwhile question, but unrelated to why Tidus disappeared.