PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Down Syndrome

G13
08-18-2012, 08:50 PM
http://tatcomic.com/comics/2010-12-15-TAT-Aeris-Death.jpg

In which we discuss the many possible reasons as to why Cloud did not, in fact, think to use a Phoenix Down.

-Tifa has bigger tits
-He spent all of the gil on his 1/35 Soldier collectibles
-Frugality

Sephex
08-18-2012, 08:53 PM
I actually hate this argument. Phoenix Downs are meant to cure someone that is merely incapacitated from battle, not dead.

But yeah, Tifa and her chest Materia.

G13
08-18-2012, 09:05 PM
One would think that because a phoenix is reborn from its own ashes that its feathers would have the ability to revive a dead person as well as revive them from a KO. It really couldn't have hurt. Trial and error, man!

Not that I'm actually complaining, I hated Aerith.

Shorty
08-18-2012, 09:27 PM
Bitch wouldn't shut up, had to go in the river!

Alpha2099
08-18-2012, 11:09 PM
Think about how much they saved on food costs.

blackmage_nuke
08-19-2012, 12:14 AM
I think its sensible that Phoenix Down would only revive one from KO rather than from death

However I dont understand why they didnt try a SOFT on RedXIII's dad

Sephex
08-19-2012, 02:19 AM
I think its sensible that Phoenix Down would only revive one from KO rather than from death

That's...yeah. There's no excuse for that.

ReloadPsi
08-19-2012, 02:46 AM
Tifa: "Cloud, quick, Phoenix Down!"
Cloud: "No."
Tifa: "Why not?"
Cloud: "Because I'm not."
Tifa: "Why not?"
Cloud: "Because I'm not."
Tifa: "I know you are, but why not?"
Cloud: "Because I'm playing the guitar."

Because he had poisoned arrows stuck in him that turned him to stone. Applying a Soft would've probably caused the arrows to take effect again immediately, and pulling them out would've been impossible as pulling an arrowhead out of a stone statue would require you to chip a lot of it away, especially given how arrowheads are usually designed so that they can't be removed without causing even more serious harm... this would then cause the cumulative injuries caused by such an endeavour to kill Seto as soon as they threw another Soft.

Hollycat
08-19-2012, 02:58 AM
It's been said before, it'll be said again, Pheonix down, and indeed all battle items, are just for use in battle. I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone use an item in a cutscene.

ReloadPsi
08-19-2012, 03:02 AM
It's been said before, it'll be said again, Pheonix down, and indeed all battle items, are just for use in battle. I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone use an item in a cutscene.

FF5 has them trying everything on Galuf. None of it works; he's too far gone.

Hollycat
08-19-2012, 03:06 AM
>ff5
>cutscene

ReloadPsi
08-19-2012, 03:09 AM
>ff5
>cutscene

Well it's happening during dialogue. The meaning of the word "cutscene" gets a bit blurred when you go further back. In my mind a cutscene is when gameplay stops and exposition/event kicks in.

Jiro
08-19-2012, 04:58 AM

Perhaps, but Selphie does use a Cure spell outside of battle during FFVIII's prison sequence. The rigid separation of gameplay and story is a bit shit but that's the only way things can happen. Death, really, should never happen. Even old people should be able to be revived thanks to Phoenix Downs.

G13
08-19-2012, 10:16 AM

I've seen Seymour summon Anima in a cutscene. I've seen a Black Mage army use Fire to burn down Lindblum in a cutscene. Why should it be too much to ask that Cloud at least attempt something other than throwing her body in a river during a cutscene?

Hollycat
08-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Magic. Not items

VeloZer0
08-19-2012, 05:04 PM
I didn't think it could be more obvious that Pheonix Downs can't revive dead people. They have never once been used or mentioned as successful in that manner in any scripted part in the series.

Obviously Cloud knows way more about how recovery items work in the FF7 world than we do. Not to mention Aries had all the time in the world to bleed out while they fought Jenova.

Shorty
08-19-2012, 05:13 PM

blackmage has it. Phoenix Downs are to revive one from being knocked out. I don't think there's an item or spell that can fix "sword through abdomen."

G13
08-19-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't think there's an item or spell that can fix "sword through abdomen."

Pretty sure I saw that in the Materia list!

blackmage_nuke
08-20-2012, 08:55 AM
I don't think there's an item or spell that can fix "sword through abdomen."

Pretty sure I saw that in the Materia list!

HP<->MP
Holes Pierced<->Mended Pancreas

Tranquil
08-20-2012, 05:42 PM
VIDEO GAME LOGIC

Jinx
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
What always bothered me more was, Cloud's STANDING in the lake, and like two seconds later she's floating deep down to the bottom.

wtf

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Awesome observation.

Zangan never bothered using a Phoenix Down on Tifa when she was incapacitated. I would assume being KO'd is not as bad as being comatose apparently (they didn't try curing Cloud with items or magic either, maybe because he didn't bother with Aeris).

I could swear Bugenhagen did tell us it had been tried. Seto just be worse off.

It's been said before, it'll be said again, Pheonix down, and indeed all battle items, are just for use in battle. I don't know about you, but I've never seen anyone use an item in a cutscene.Retarded statement. Characters KO'd in battle remain KO'd outside of battle, so a character left standing (outside of battle) must use Phoenix Downs on them before they can even be healed by a Tent. Maybe you don't know this because you never finish a battle with KO'd party members or you always head to the nearest town inn. Only attack items are reserved for battle. In later games, it's possible for a member to remain petrified after battle and you can still use a soft outside of battle to cure them.

Dropping the seriousness. Cloud didn't revive Aeris because he was jealous that Sephiroth was the first to "penetrate" her. Ooh snap....!

Jiro
08-22-2012, 02:29 AM
I don't think there was really any item or spell to cure the fact that Cloud was a complete nutter.

ReloadPsi
08-22-2012, 01:05 PM
Magic. Not items

No, they tried both.

Sephex
08-22-2012, 06:01 PM
What always bothered me more was, Cloud's STANDING in the lake, and like two seconds later she's floating deep down to the bottom.

wtf

Ever since I noticed that, I always picture cloud kicking his feet cartoonishly fast.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Fools! (Striding-)Cloud can walk on water.

krissy
08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
he's doing the egg beater! which is a step up from doing the aeris beater in the temple of the ancients ho ho ho

Jiro
08-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Clearly there was a little current that swept her down the rapidly descending lake floor.

Raistlin
08-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Cloud was still nuts at this point, so maybe he was just imagining he was standing in water and instead he left Aerith in a trash heap.

Roogle
08-24-2012, 02:11 AM

Final Fantasy IV gave the player the option of using a Soft on Palom and Porom when they turn themselves to stone. It was a useless option added only for flavor, but it gave the player the option of trying, at least! I wonder why they didn't do something similar with Red XIII.

Final Fantasy V has a case where the main characters try to save another character from dying by casting spells and using items, even if the characters didn't really know those spells or have those items in stock.

Jiro
08-24-2012, 03:28 AM
Wasn't Seto said to have been turned to stone with some kind of super toxin? I thought there was a slight explanation as to why a soft wouldn't work.

Mercen-X
08-24-2012, 06:33 AM

Final Fantasy IV gave the player the option of using a Soft on Palom and Porom when they turn themselves to stone. It was a useless option added only for flavor, but it gave the player the option of trying, at least! I wonder why they didn't do something similar with Red XIII.

Final Fantasy V has a case where the main characters try to save another character from dying by casting spells and using items, even if the characters didn't really know those spells or have those items in stock.

Good point. This should always be an option to the player... even if it is useless.

Jiro
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
It certainly brings verisimilitude.

Iceglow
08-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Well, Phoenix Down cures DEATH in battle which is hilarious. However out of battle, idk I guess they did this just for story effect?

ReloadPsi
08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Wasn't Seto said to have been turned to stone with some kind of super toxin? I thought there was a slight explanation as to why a soft wouldn't work.

Because he had poisoned arrows stuck in him that turned him to stone. Applying a Soft would've probably caused the arrows to take effect again immediately, and pulling them out would've been impossible as pulling an arrowhead out of a stone statue would require you to chip a lot of it away, especially given how arrowheads are usually designed so that they can't be removed without causing even more serious harm... this would then cause the cumulative injuries caused by such an endeavour to kill Seto as soon as they threw another Soft.

Especially considering the Phoenix Down issue here. Also Zangan mentions that he kept using a Cure spell on Tifa's open wounds after the Nibelheim incident and it didn't help.

Source: my older sister and her partner know a lot about archery.