PDA

View Full Version : When Humor Backfires

Pike
08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
As long as I can remember I've had a thing for deadpan humor. The problem with deadpan humor is that the entire joke is that you're acting serious, which means that if you pull it off well people will not realize you're joking!

This got me into trouble as a kid a lot. I remember being like five years old and staring out the window of our house and then deadpanning "There's a motorcycle gang in the driveway" which I lifted from some newspaper comic somewhere. My parents just about flipped and thought that I'd actually seen something out there.

Things didn't improve as I got older and started to deadpan self-deprecating humor. When I was about 16-17 and in drivers' ed, my mom asked me how it was going. I told her not well and when she asked for details I deadpanned, as a joke, "I dunno, I just run into things." She has yet to let me live it down and insists that when I told her afterwards that it was actually a joke, I was backpedaling.

Anyways this sort of thing happens to me a lot: I make a joke and play it off as serious because I find that funny and then people think I really am serious. I think the internet makes things even worse in that regard, because TEXT!

Does this happen to anyone else? :choc2: What are some times you've tried to make a joke and it has failed or backfired?

nik0tine
08-19-2012, 04:38 PM
It's usually not funny until it backfires anyway.

Pike
08-19-2012, 04:39 PM
Fair enough.

Freya
08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
People think i'm angrier on the internet. When I'm very rarely angry at all.

NeoCracker
08-19-2012, 04:51 PM
The closest a joke has ever come to backfiring on, (Well, perhaps it has before and I just didn't realize it. :p) was when I worked with my friend Danny, and we say horrible, horrible mean spirited things to each other. One thing I told him pissed off a nearby person, but for some god awful reason, she immediately started bitching him out for it, and I went right back to work and heard nothing of it from her. :p

This was like, the third time Danny had been blamed for some one else saying something seconds afterwords. For some reason people just seem to want to blame him for things. :p

Shorty
08-19-2012, 05:20 PM
I gave up a long time ago telling long-winded jokes because I would find them funny but as I'm telling them I could see the looks on the faces of the people listening turn to :confused: and then I would stop telling the joke halfway through because it was no longer funny. :( I can't do deadpan humor, either. I have no poker face.

Essentially, I find a lot of things funny but am terrible at executing comedic anecdotes and jokes.

Tigmafuzz
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
People think i'm angrier on the internet. When I'm very rarely angry at all.

This. So much. I'm such a loving person ;_;

Pike
08-19-2012, 06:35 PM
Truthfully I sometimes worry if everyone on the internet thinks I'm an ass.

Clo
08-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Everyone on the internet thinks I'm an ass.

Edit: OK, and maybe I'm a little ruthless in real life. But once someone is a friend then they have my axe and bow and all that.

Cuchulainn
08-19-2012, 07:10 PM
PPl always think I'm serious on the net. Not so bad in person as they can see the wee glint in the eye, cheek grin & know im fuckin about. But honestly, I rarely care if they think i'm serious, angry or not. Its the net. Nothing matters here.

Alpha2099
08-19-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm always using deadpan humor. It's just how I am. Most of the time it's funny, and people laugh, but every now and again I come off as an asshole. It's the risk associated with that kind of humor, and I can't really afford to worry about it much.

Laddy
08-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Deadpan humor is fun, but I have a strange as hell way of using it.

NorthernChaosGod
08-20-2012, 02:05 AM
I love deadpan humor. The majority of all my jokes are either completely deadpan or over the top angry and people always think I'm serious about it.

I think I'm funny. :(

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:49 AM
I'm only funny on the internet when people have no idea that I'm just a blithering mess.

fire_of_avalon
08-20-2012, 02:59 AM
This happens to me occasionally. Generally, the next step is for me to call attention to how flat the joke fell and then go on my way.

Sometimes, though, I come up with real winners. The other day I told my friend I had used all the toilet paper in her bathroom to clean up some paint. I tell her she shouldn't use that bathroom.

What does she do? What do you think?

Friend: "...hey! There's no toilet paper in here!"
Me: "I told you this five minutes ago. I said not to use this bathroom."
Friend: "Crap!"
Me: "I hope not."

Sephex
08-20-2012, 04:32 AM
I also often use deadpan humor and people don't get it, even if I say something that I find is impossible for whatever to happen. No regrets, though. That's half the fun of deadpan humor.

krissy
08-20-2012, 04:49 AM
There's a motorcycle gang in the FF7 forum.

Shiny
08-20-2012, 06:15 AM
Aren't jokes always half-truths? This makes most of us in here half-dickish.

Clo
08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Everyone here is mostly dickish.

NeoCracker
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I wish Cancer on people to their faces.

I think in my case you can drop the mostly.

Pumpkin
08-20-2012, 05:21 PM
I've had complaints that people think I'm being serious when I'm joking. It's apparently hard to tell with me. It's caused a few misunderstandings. I've also had situations where they get frustrated and when I find out they thought I was serious and I tell them I was joking they say "no you weren't" :|

Peegee
08-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I am incredibly good with deadpan humour.

oh yeah.

:|

Iceglow
08-21-2012, 03:40 AM
I'm more a sarcastic wit or cheeky comments that are funny.

Sometimes I do dead-pan but I'm way too cheeky and wind up grinning and giving myself away.

Trumpet Thief
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM
I feel your pain Pike. I've been raised on deadpan humor so the results are very mixed. Friends that know me really well get off on it, and the occasional stranger will enjoy it as well.

Otherwise, I end up using it in social situations, and the results are almost never good. In one instance, my friend introduced me to a group of guys he knew from high school. The conversation went pretty well until I said "you guys are a very, very attractive bunch" with a straight face. I'm honestly not sure what I was going for, and they honestly were very attractive, but I was met with (understandably) very strange faces and an "..Okay, so anyways we gotta go...".

The worst part is that I think I function pretty well socially. Everything goes fine until that inevitable horrible joke or comment that never works out. I end up monitoring my thoughts around people I don't know, but that in itself just makes things strange enough. Lose/lose situation until you find people that enjoy it, I suppose. :p

Mercen-X
08-23-2012, 09:23 PM
Deadpan! Even the word is brilliant! :p

Miss Lady Shelly
08-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Always backfires on me.. People just don't find me funny at all.

Hollycat
08-25-2012, 12:45 AM
My humor could not be flatter I've been told, it's funny because I've been told I'm really charming and funny in person.