PDA

View Full Version : 2012 FFXI Recruitment Drive

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Time to take advantage of the additional attention this forum should now be getting.

Thinking of trying FFXI? Played back when the cap was 75 and quit because there was too much poopsocking involved? There has never been a better time to start/return to FFXI. I came back a little under a year ago and everything about FFXI is better now.

No way! I once spent 6 hours looking for a party and got nothing done!
Those days are over. Traditional EXP parties are almost entirely gone now -- occasionally vets will throw one together for nostalgia but they are neither needed nor even an efficient way to level anymore. It has become so easy to level that nobody even cares about the EXP loss when they die--it's too quick and easy to recover. No longer do snobs demand "R3 only" when they die; in Abyssea, I routinely take R1s and have my exp back -- and more -- before weakness wears off.

To start with, the base EXP gained for a simple kill is now double what it used to be--but so what? Base EXP has less and less to do with how fast you level thanks to Grounds of Valor

Some of you may already be familiar with Fields of Valor -- GoV is FoV on meth. It's the same basic principle -- a book assigns you a task, such as killing 3 spiders and 3 funguars. Upon completion of this task, you get bonus EXP and "tabs" redeemable for buffs and transportation (and gil, once per vana'diel day). When FoV first came out, you could only get rewards once per Vana'diel day, but this is no longer the case. FoV and GoV both have the option (set by default) to auto-renew so that as soon as you finish your task, it repeats, and you get the EXP every time. With GoV, the rewards increase each and every time you finish a page, which continue to accumulate as long as you stay in the same zone. Additionally, you get Prowesses, which are buffs that last as long as you stay in the zone. If one page gets too easy for you, you can switch to a higher page and keep your prowesses and bonus modifier.

I haven't done the math at low levels, but in the mid 60's, the bonus EXP from GoV accounted for over 2/3 of the EXP I gained in a single session.

Parties -- The New Way
Now, I have levelled non-Beastmaster jobs to 80 solo, but parties do still exist, it just works differently now. No longer do you put your flag up and wait for a group that needs whatever job you happen to be, only to have it disband because there is either no healer or no tank. Now, at sub-75 levels, the way it generally works is you start out soloing. As an example, let's say you're a level 42 Warrior. GoV Page 1 in the Crawler's Nest is 3 Worker Crawlers and 3 bees, which you are capable of soloing (if you're careful about links) at 41. You head to the Nest and solo for a while, building prowesses and page-chain bonus. A while later, a level 40 dragoon comes along and says {Team up?}. You start duoing with the DRG and now--with page bonuses--you're both gaining exp faster than either one of you could alone, especially if you level sync to the DRG's level. An hour later, there are 9 of you in an alliance, completing a page for 2k+ exp about every 90 seconds. If you started out solo, I guarantee you'll get bored/reach your goal and leave the party long before it breaks up, even if everybody in the party is the same job. No need for a dedicated healer or tank.

Often, at low levels, you'll get an unsolicited /tell to join a party in Gusgen Mines -- I've never done a bones party at those levels, so I don't know how good they are, but they're extremely popular and often recruit aggressively for level sync designees so that people can continue levelling there past the point when bones stop giving exp. (You need to get exp from the mobs you kill for it to count towards GoV)

At Last, Abyssea
Abyssea is the biggest change yet; Starting at Level 30, you can start accumulating Traverser Stones, used to enter the new Abyssea zones. Even if you have accumulated stones, you must be level 30 or higher on your current job to enter Abyssea.

Aby has to be experienced to be believed, from the perspective of someone who has never played or who quit at 75. I have accumulated over 1 million exp in Abyssea in a single session. How it works is that each time you kill a certain type of monster, you gain a "chain bonus" that increases the amount of exp you get from killing that mob. (Chain bonus is reset as soon as anyone in your party/alliance kills any other type of mob, so be sure to call for help if you get aggro so the kill doesn't count. Zoning also clears your chain bonus, so do not accept tractor); Usually your first few kills will yield 0 exp, but after a while it builds up to 600 or even more per kill. The higher your level, the faster the chain bonus builds. There are also "Abyssea Lights," which can increase your exp gained and time allowed to stay in Abyssea, but those are beyond the scope of this post, since a new Abyssea player will generally learn how those work long before they have to.

In the last Abyssea party I did, towards the end I was pulling in 300,000 exp per hour. This wasn't calculated by a plugin -- I got 6 levels while building chain bonus and lights, then switched to limit points, of which I had none. Less than an hour later, my limit points were capped.

If you were to join an Abyssea party at level 30 -- as a key master or leecher -- and you had all of your limit breaks done -- you could go all the way to 99 in a day. It wouldn't be fun to do it that way, but it can be done. There is no exp grinding anymore. You solo for fun, and when it's not fun anymore if you haven't met whatever goal you set, just join an Aby party. (Note I said no exp grinding -- skilling up weapoins, although easier than it used to be -- is still grinding, as is Trial of the Magians)

Now here's where the bad(ish) news comes in: There is no level 30 content in Abyssea. If you want to pull your weight at low levels, you need to buy Forbidden Keys to open chests for the rest of the alliance. Forbidden keys are purchased with Cruor. Cruor is earned by killing mobs in Abyssea. So...unless you leech, you're going to need to level at least one job to 75 to really get started in Aby. At 75 you're strong enough to pull your weight doing worms in Abyssea-La Theine Plateau, and then you can earn enough cruor doing that to buy a few keys and use Aby to skip the levels that you don't enjoy playing on lower-level jobs. RMT and some non-RMT linkshells also offer "FC Parties", where one WAR/RDM AoE farms mobs with Fell Cleave in abyssea while 2 people open chests and 15 people pay to go AFK while the WAR kills for them. Some people scorn this method, others take advantage of it to bypass timesinks like some magian trials and merit upgrades that cost more than 10 merits each.

Trial of the Magians
"But what about gear? Won't I have to spend days farming gil to buy gear so that I'm not gimp?"
No. Everything is cheaper nowadays on account of the fact that gil simply isn't used as much anymore. High end gear comes from drops and from the Trial of the Magians, a new gear upgrade system that becomes available at level 75. Each trial assigns a task -- for example, use the weapon skill Tachi: Koki against birds 400 times. Upon completion of this task, your weapon or armour is upgraded. Trials range from the incredibly dull (as in said example) to the incredibly easy (Empy armour upgrades -- expect to get all 8 of the seals you need in a single upgrade group) with commensurate rewards. Any time you don't have something more pressing to do, you can pass time by banging out part or all of a Magian trial and get better weapons/armour than gil can buy.

But there's so much to learn! I can't possibly get all of this straight within a month of playing!
This is where I come in. I am a sackholder in an active and very helpful linkshell (on two different characters, so if I'm not in a party, even if I have GoV prowesses/chains built up, I can log over to the other, I can invite new people into the shell). As you have questions, you can simply ask the shell and usually at least 3 people will answer. Lost your old account or haven't played FFXI before? No problem, low level content is fun to us. When I created my 2nd character, I solo'd my way to 30 and did the subjob quest myself (it was easy) but you don't have to! The LS can take care of your SJ items, 50-60 caps, initial AF, testimony farming, and all that jazz. (Thinking about going Summoner? Consider your prime avatar fights done. WE don't have enough summoners in the shell). You'll be (back) to 75 in no time. Send me a /tell on Prothall or Profane on Shiva server and you'll be (back) into the swing of things faster than hell can scorch a feather.

Haven't played before? FFXI is currently on sale (http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.241238700#.UDEIK91lScM) for $16 including all expansions including abyssea. (Returning players who want to reactivate their old acounts will have to pay $9.99 per abyssea expansion for the same thing ><). During your free month as a new subscriber, I'm certain you'll find enough to entertain you that you'll keep coming back for more. It might seem a little like old-FFXI at first, but you can hit level 30 in a solid day of gaming.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention: Level caps? Gone. You can solo all of your nation missions and Promyvion now.

Del Murder
08-19-2012, 06:54 PM
I was around for Aby and it is pretty sweet. I quit when the cap was 95 I believe. What type of non-leveling content is there now?

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Voidwalker, which I haven't got into but which drops some pretty badass gear, Trial of the Magians, and of course Abyssea NM hunts; If you kill 9 zone bosses and 6 caturae, you get a shot at Shinryu, who drops an atma with auto-freaking-reraise. There are also a hell of a lot of new merits, including merit-only weapon skills that kick a mountain of ass the size of the Death Star in Abyssea, and a slightly smaller mountain of ass outside, depending on the WS (Tachi: Shoha is one of the ones that works both ways).

It's also fun, once you get some good atmas like Minikin Monstrosity, Voracious Violet, and Mounted Champion, to pop into Abyssea and solo stuff that used to take an alliance to wipe out.

Beastmasters can now easily solo dynamis for upgrades.

Fair warning: The 95 limit break does require a party. However if you get a summoner with Alexander and a bunch of monks, you can zerg it pretty easily, and my LS has a metric fuckton of monks. Only two summoners, but a lot of monks. You need to be at least level 96 to get the new weapon skills.

Madonna
08-19-2012, 07:27 PM
I am a bit of a jerk and like to play games solo; after all, I picked the Final Fantasy series as my fandom. Is it worth my time to play XI if I decline on most social aspects, join few parties, and run around like a silent idiot?

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 07:44 PM
You can go all the way to 95 without ever joining a party, even without levelling beastmaster. A linkshell gives you someone to talk to along the way if you want to go it alone. You'll need a full party to do the 95 cap, and a high-level helper for at least the 50 and 55 caps. 60 cap as well, unless you level thief--a thief can get through the door in Castle Oztroja solo thanks to flee. Other jobs cannot.

Post-30, high-level help would be handy for unlocking jobs, but you could always solo Warrior or Monk to 50 and use that even without getting help with the limit breaks.

Even in abyssea parties, you don't really have to talk, as long as you go as a DD. Just send a /tell to the leader indicating you'd like to join, and spend the rest of the time slaughtering things. As low as the mid 80s, you can easily solo the worms in La Theine Plateau, a party would just be there to speed up kills and build Azure lights.

Madonna
08-20-2012, 11:04 AM
So previous to thirty, I can run around like an idiot. That seems like a fair amount of time to gather courage and talk to someone. I am going to pretend I know DD means Direct Damage or Damage Dealer and that sounds like everything for which I am suited.

Mirage
08-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Y'all should join Sylph cause that's where I am.

Citizen Bleys
08-20-2012, 08:23 PM
So previous to thirty, I can run around like an idiot. That seems like a fair amount of time to gather courage and talk to someone. I am going to pretend I know DD means Direct Damage or Damage Dealer and that sounds like everything for which I am suited.

DD = Damage Dealer, and you can get to thirty in one solid day of gaming. Easily, even. And there's no rule that says you have to jump straight into Abyssea at 30 -- the wiser move would be to level a job to 75 conventionally (THF is nice for the 60 cap trick, BST is an extremely powerful DD with an easy Maat fight for the 70 cap) and then join your first Aby party as a DD--that way you can build cruor your first time around to pay for keys later on. Be sure to reserve a bit of cruor for things like maps, abyssites, and the cruor-purchased armour (perle, aurora, teal, and Empyrean armour)

EDIT: You would want to take some time at 30 to start Aby's starter quest so that you can accumulate lots and lots of traverser stones against some time when you will need them.

Madonna
08-25-2012, 11:59 PM
http://vignettegrimoire.com/_lynx/_fora/ffxi_weslyduk-intro.gif

Citizen Bleys
08-26-2012, 02:58 AM
Good name xD

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Miriel
08-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Important question: How much cuter is the game now versus a few years back? Please list all new changes that relate to cuteness factor.

Citizen Bleys
08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Not at all. It's still way too cutesy for my liking.

Madonna
08-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, it is not as cute as Hello Kitty Online, but there is one more cute Tarutaru in Vana'diel.

Citizen Bleys
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been looking for you to no avail. Are you even on Shiva?

Mirage
08-30-2012, 10:21 PM
Weslyduk - Shiva - FFXIAH.com (http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Shiva/Weslyduk)

Seems like it.

Damn you for not starting on sylph, though.

Madonna
08-31-2012, 02:56 AM
I do not even know who I am looking for, so nyah. Prothall, eh?

Mirage, obviously you should be on Shiva.

Citizen Bleys
08-31-2012, 03:59 AM

I'm on Profane more often.

Mirage
08-31-2012, 10:09 AM

Mirage, obviously you should be on Shiva.

Obviously you should be on Sylph :(.

Did you make Kalilung start playing too?

Madonna
09-01-2012, 03:26 AM
I got her a character slot/ID/thing? Maybe she might humor your Sylph tendencies.

Raistlin
09-03-2012, 05:51 AM
http://vignettegrimoire.com/_lynx/_fora/ffxi_weslyduk-intro.gif

Haha, wtf. xD

Hollycat
09-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Thinking about buying the game. If I find it cheap enough or they slice the monthly fee I will join.

Super Christ
09-11-2012, 11:59 PM
I've got a question for you; how's the time commitment to play compared to before? The main reason I ended up letting my subscription lapse is because, even though I enjoyed the game, after getting married and moving I didn't have the time anymore to commit to what was essentially a second job that I wasn't being paid for.

Also, you mentioned that XP gains come much faster now - how about skill gains? [Edit] Ahh, just read the Abyssea section more thoroughly. Well, as long as skill gains come easier, the grinding shouldn't be that bad.

Everything else you've mentioned is definitely a solid win as far as I'm concerned. I tended to prefer solo play anyway, and not being limited to beastmaster to do so would let me try out some of the classes I was much more interested in.

Freya
09-12-2012, 05:58 AM
I am about to move (hopefully). As I was packing I stumbled upon something.

Back story, I attempted XI way back when. I had the HDD on my ps2 and everything, it wasn't my cup of tea at the time. My older brother is an MMO fanatic. If there has been an MMO, he's probably played it. Fastforward to me packing, I was putting all my games in one convient location for movage when I came across this. He had to have left it here and I hadn't actually SEEN him play it much so who knows how involved he got.

Now I checked "Can you run it?" YOU SURE AS HELL BET YOUR TITS I CAN. Now. Do I want to try it? That's my question. How much is the monthly fee? And welp are there a bunch of meaningless stupid ass task that I can do that requires things like dancing with NPCs and other various shenningans? (because I like various shennigans) I played this way back when and didn't really like it too much but i'm willing to give it a chance again MAYBE. This is the first game in a long time that my computer wont have problems running I don't think. I'm heavily considering it. plus with Bley's guide thing now, I may actually be able to level xD

EDIT: Upon installing I can't find the registration code. At all. There is no manual besides the manual on the disc. WHAT THE CRAP. I can't register a playonline thing without that wtf david blaine. I may just go freaking buy it off steam or something now because I've already invested the time into installing everything :(

GODDAMN THAT WAS THE MOST CONVOLUTED THING EVER AND YOU BASTARDS BETTER PLAY WITH ME.

Citizen Bleys
09-12-2012, 09:34 AM
I've got a question for you; how's the time commitment to play compared to before?

Nowhere near as bad; I mean, if you join an aby party, people might look askance if you take off before the end of the first hour, but nobody really cares.

Also, you mentioned that XP gains come much faster now - how about skill gains? [Edit] Ahh, just read the Abyssea section more thoroughly. Well, as long as skill gains come easier, the grinding shouldn't be that bad.

Skilling up is still a pain in my ass, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was, especially with the new skill up prowesses and skill gain food.

Do I want to try it? That's my question.

Yes.

How much is the monthly fee?

I think it starts at about $15-16 USD for your first character, then a buck a month for each additional character. Note: You don't really need additional characters since you can level every job on one character, and with the new Mog Sack and Mog Satchel you won't need as many mules as used to be necessary either.

And welp are there a bunch of meaningless stupid ass task that I can do that requires things like dancing with NPCs and other various shenningans?

There are seasonal events that meet that description. There's one where your whole job is to clap at an NPC who is having a dance-off against...er, something evil. In some way.

Also there's a dancer job. There aren't many people who take it past 49.

I played this way back when and didn't really like it too much but i'm willing to give it a chance again MAYBE. This is the first game in a long time that my computer wont have problems running I don't think. I'm heavily considering it. plus with Bley's guide thing now, I may actually be able to level xD

Or you could roll on Shiva and not need a guide because I'll be in your bloody LS

EDIT: Upon installing I can't find the registration code. At all. There is no manual besides the manual on the disc. WHAT THE CRAP. I can't register a playonline thing without that wtf david blaine. I may just go freaking buy it off steam or something now because I've already invested the time into installing everything :(

Does the Steam version include the Destrier Beret? If not, get this version (http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.241238700#.UFBIm41lScM) instead. It's not on sale anymore, but the Destrier Beret is bloody amazing. 1HP/tick regen, 1MP/tick refresh, and auto-reraise that's always active from levels 1-30 is too good to pass up.

GODDAMN THAT WAS THE MOST CONVOLUTED THING EVER AND YOU BASTARDS BETTER PLAY WITH ME.

I'm on a lot, but I still haven't seen hide nor hair of Lynx, nor anyone else from EoFF.

Freya
09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Well i'm still trying to get it all installed correctly. I let it DL overnight and it messed up :( And now I has my new apartment to move into so I may not even be able to play for a few days! But I'll make a character on shiva when I can and hit you up :D

Citizen Bleys
09-12-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm on vacation next week, so I'll be logged in pretty much at all times; I'll be sure to use a search comment to indicate when I'm AFK making money (to be covered in my forthcoming Abyssea guide. Which isn't even started yet.)

Freya
09-13-2012, 06:36 AM
OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT RACE/CLASS TO MAKE D:

Okay Shiva right? What's the gold pass thing? o.o I haven't made one yet but I think i'ma make a sexy hume black mage. So I can blow trout up. PEW PEW. Then I'ma summon trout cause come on, carbuncle is adorable. I thought about a tarutaru but I don't like their stupid noses.

OKAY I'm freykana on shiva. Cept I wont be able to play for a bit. BUT I MADE ONE. I DON'T KNOW ANY OF THE CONTROLS D:

Citizen Bleys
09-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Use a gamepad. This game was designed for PS2. You'll need 2 analog sticks and a digital d-pad just for basic navigation. A mouse is simply not good enough. One stick to control your movement, one stick to control the camera, and a d-pad to navigate menus. Assign an easy-to reach button to select, one to cancel, and one to menu and bang, you're off to the races.

I also advise using any shoulder bumper buttons to access the macro palettes.

Freya
09-14-2012, 03:44 PM
I have to buy a game pad? No wonder people hate this game.

Mirage
09-15-2012, 06:28 AM
I just had the craziest thought. I'll level up a mule on Sylph, gear it up, then server transfer it to Shiva.
How about that, huh?

Super Christ
09-15-2012, 06:12 PM
It took some time convincing my wife, but I've now got a mithra named Arylon on Shiva. (Also a hume named Unne on Lakshmi, while my wife has a mithra named Lucinta on Lakshmi.)

Funny, I don't remember the mine in Bastok being a high level dungeon before. At least it means I found a nice, expensive (for a newbie anyway) piece of equipment off a ding bat at the entrance.

Citizen Bleys
09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
There are new high level mobs just where you'd least expect them.

Think you can get through Ranguemont Pass or the now-uncapped Promyvion as a 75 without sneak/invis? Think again.

EDIT Got Christ invited into my shell, haven't seen Lynx or KC yet, and don't know Mirage's character name.

Mirage
09-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Except sneak/invis doesn't work in Promyvion cause they're true sight :p.

The new monsters that are actually aggressive are often in locations that can be avoided by taking a different route, though.

Freya
09-15-2012, 06:47 PM
I have been moving this weekend and won't be able to go get net for my new apartment til Tuesday so it'll be a bit before you see me online.

Mirage
09-15-2012, 06:56 PM
And no, Freya. I played this game with just keyboard and mouse for 6 years, but after starting to use a gamepad about a month ago, I must say I prefer using that.

Super Christ
09-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Juuuust great. I get back into the swing of playing and the crew building my new garage cuts my cable. I'm only managing to post this at all by sitting outside my parent's front door (who are out of town) and leaching their wireless, and I could only justify the trip because I really needed to pay some bills and online is the only real way I have to do so. The data plan for my phone isn't bad, but it's not good enough to use my phone as a hotspot to play a game on.

I am going to be pissed as all hell if this doesn't get fixed quickly.

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2012, 08:07 PM
God damnit, I wish I had a PC that could play this game.

Mirage
09-18-2012, 09:03 PM
You don't have to wish, because you do. Evidence: You are able to access the internet.

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Lies.

I just remembered that I have it on 360. Shame everybody here goes through PC, though. xD

Mirage
09-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Doesn't matter. Both play on the same servers.

Quindiana Jones
09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
Oooohhh, I did not know that! Then I may end up joining you lot once I get my 360! :D

Freya
09-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Okay I finally have my net back so I'll be able to start up. I don't have much time off to play this though so it'll be late my night time/morning. We'll see!

EDIT: Okay got a gamepad and worked out the kinks (kinda) so it's off to starting the adventure! I'm in bastok :P

Freya
09-22-2012, 06:07 AM
What's people's names so i can whine about not knowing what i'm doing.

Citizen Bleys
09-22-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm usually on Profane, also called Prothall. Super Christ is Arylon, as in the dancer from FF1.

EDIT: Just saw you online, but you logged before I could get to Bastok.

Freya
09-22-2012, 08:45 AM
Should have messageeeeddd meeeee

Citizen Bleys
09-22-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll keep an eye out tonight as well.

Super Christ
09-22-2012, 07:08 PM
So maybe it's just too much Skyrim speaking, but I wonder if it's possible to mod the client side graphics with some high resolution textures and improved character models and so forth. I've got all my graphics settings for the game set to maximum quality - not a difficult thing to do for such an old game - and it would be neat to see some further improvement.

Mirage
09-23-2012, 12:51 AM
If you want a terrible patchwork of low res and high res textures, yes, it is fully possible.

If you want to replace every texture with high res textures to avoid that, you have about 10 GB of textures to find replacements for. Good luck!

Miriel
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Not at all. It's still way too cutesy for my liking.

Wrong answer. :colbert:

Super Christ
09-26-2012, 07:43 AM
Gotta say you're right about the increased xp - I just finished soloing to 30, and the previous two times I played I never made it that far at all, much less solo.

Now to start ranking up so I can get my airship pass, gain Bastok and Jeuno fame so I can do my gobbiebag and mog safe quests, and most importantly, unlock the advanced jobs.

Citizen Bleys
09-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Don't forget getting started on abyssea content -- starting to accumulate traverser stones as soon as you hit 30 means you don't run out when you're high enough to need them.

Which will be sooner than you think.

Lindberg
11-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Hey there! I really liked your detailed and thorough post which as a long time returning member I found incredibly useful. I'm still running updates to patch up the game to current so I won't be able to start a character until after work tonight :( but my brother and I are both anticipating jumping feet first back into vana'diel for a 3rd time haha. I was wondering if your linkshell is still actively recruiting members as I'd like to pick a linkshell before I pick a server and your information leads you to be the most convincing candidate for a proper home my brother and I are both looking for :P
I don't have my old account information so I would be starting from scratch...again lol but I have a wealth of old world FF knowledge and hopefully wouldn't be a burden on anyone. I'll be checking this post throughout the day at work, really hope to hear from you! :D

Citizen Bleys
11-17-2012, 11:27 PM
My LS is still quite active, yes.

Omni-Odin
01-14-2013, 05:40 PM
I am starting this game in like a week. I've never played it and literally almost know nothing about it. But I've played every other Final Fantasy, so I figured it was fine time to pick up this gem. You have any tips or general information a new player would need to try and make his first character creation his permanent one?

Del Murder
01-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Do you mean like race/job selection?

Citizen Bleys
01-14-2013, 06:13 PM
Race doesn't matter. At all. It might affect your gear choices on some jobs, but that's about it.

Job also doesn't matter, because you can change it as often as you want limited only by your amount of inventory space available for gear.

Monk's a good starter job; see this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-xi/147429-new-adventurer-guide-levels-1-50-a.html)

Del Murder
01-14-2013, 06:42 PM
Monk sucks! Go with Warrior!

Mirage
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Monks are awesome. The only not awesome part of it is that black belt costs a kidney, liver and half a lung. You can be an all right monk without that, though, but you'll probably constantly be like "man i wish i had a black belt". That is true for me, at least.

I am starting this game in like a week. I've never played it and literally almost know nothing about it. But I've played every other Final Fantasy, so I figured it was fine time to pick up this gem. You have any tips or general information a new player would need to try and make his first character creation his permanent one?

There is nothing you can do that would break your character forever, except creating a male elvaan because they are hideous, except the one that looks like Sean Connery. Other than that, no gear is permanent, no job is permanent, no nation is permanent, and there is nothing you can to that would make you unable to get any sort of significant item later in the game.

All races are "acceptable" for all jobs, even if some races are inarguably better than others for some jobs. However, because you can freely change jobs almost anytime, choosing your race for its performance in one single job is kind of a bad idea. The only significant difference between the races is the HP/MP of galkas and tarus. Galkas will have insanely much more HP than tarus, tarus will have insanely much more MP than galkas. All other stat differences between races are small enough for it to be possible for gear to make up for most of it.

chionos
01-15-2013, 09:14 AM
Monks are awesome. The only not awesome part of it is that black belt costs a kidney, liver and half a lung. You can be an all right monk without that, though, but you'll probably constantly be like "man i wish i had a black belt". That is true for me, at least.

There is nothing you can do that would break your character forever, except creating a male elvaan because they are hideous, except the one that looks like Sean Connery. Other than that, no gear is permanent, no job is permanent, no nation is permanent, and there is nothing you can to that would make you unable to get any sort of significant item later in the game.

All races are "acceptable" for all jobs, even if some races are inarguably better than others for some jobs. However, because you can freely change jobs almost anytime, choosing your race for its performance in one single job is kind of a bad idea. The only significant difference between the races is the HP/MP of galkas and tarus. Galkas will have insanely much more HP than tarus, tarus will have insanely much more MP than galkas. All other stat differences between races are small enough for it to be possible for gear to make up for most of it.

QFT

And even the huge differences in HP/MP between Galka and Taru can be mitigated by gear/merits and by attentiveness and skill. As a Galka, I was as good a BLM as any Taru I knew, and a better WHM, and a totally kickass SMN, all of which require loads of MP.

Khaotic
03-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Saw it on steam and figured why not give it a try again? I used to play years ago, when it was first released, played for several years. Throughout the last couple years just hearing west ronfaure music brings back memories, so now I wanna give it a try again.

Quick question though, is there still a healthy amount of people? (I'd assume so since there is a new expansion soon) and is there an EoFF Linkshell going like back in the old days?

But there's so much to learn! I can't possibly get all of this straight within a month of playing!
This is where I come in. I am a sackholder in an active and very helpful linkshell (on two different characters, so if I'm not in a party, even if I have GoV prowesses/chains built up, I can log over to the other, I can invite new people into the shell). As you have questions, you can simply ask the shell and usually at least 3 people will answer. Lost your old account or haven't played FFXI before? No problem, low level content is fun to us. When I created my 2nd character, I solo'd my way to 30 and did the subjob quest myself (it was easy) but you don't have to! The LS can take care of your SJ items, 50-60 caps, initial AF, testimony farming, and all that jazz. (Thinking about going Summoner? Consider your prime avatar fights done. WE don't have enough summoners in the shell). You'll be (back) to 75 in no time. Send me a /tell on Prothall or Profane on Shiva server and you'll be (back) into the swing of things faster than hell can scorch a feather.

Maybe I should learn to read :P Heres a different question, do they take american express as a payment option now?

EDIT 2: Answered my own payment question, things are looking promising. Just wanna get in contact with some people to make sure people still play etc.

Citizen Bleys
03-15-2013, 11:53 PM
Well, I haven't seen Super Christ around in a while, so I think I'm the only active EoFF'er on Shiva now.

He might just be on hiatus though, I stopped playing for a while around the holidays because no-one else on the LS was there to play with.

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 12:10 AM
Ah I see, that kind of sucks. Well I'm currently updating Final Fantasy XI as I type this and I'll probably hop on Shiva to try things out. I'm using a trial right now just to make sure I want to get back into this, or if it's just a hit of nostalgia I'm looking for.

Are you planning on going back?

Edit: May have misread your post, did you say you stopped playing during Christmas, and then came back, or have you not played since Christmas? If you're still playing I'll most likely start playing again and maybe we can get something started. I'm not really sure what the community is like nowadays though.

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2013, 01:18 AM
I'm still playing, I just took about a 3 week break

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 01:45 AM
Alright, update is taking a really long time but I'll get on eventually.

Not sure what class I'm going to go yet. Honestly I've always liked SMN but getting fenrir back then was annoying as hell. I enjoyed BST because of the soloing options, but apparently now that's no longer an issue.

Ah, BLU was extremely interesting when it was first released, but having certain skills learned that you couldn't get without having done some harder missions was a turn off to the class.

Guess I got some thinking to do while this thing patches.

CimminyCricket
03-16-2013, 03:45 AM
I want to get into this and I think that I can stop being cheap to pay $10 a month. That's taking my lunch rather than buying it, so it's not too bad. I see that Bleys is on Shiva, is that what you're on too Khaotic?

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 04:20 AM
I want to get into this and I think that I can stop being cheap to pay $10 a month. That's taking my lunch rather than buying it, so it's not too bad. I see that Bleys is on Shiva, is that what you're on too Khaotic?

I will be once I finish updating. So you're in too? Well that almost guarantees me subscribing. Are you going to be starting fresh?

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2013, 04:59 AM
Honestly I've always liked SMN but getting fenrir back then was annoying as hell.

A 99 can solo any of the first six Primes now, the only sticky point is Leviathan; I'd have to be on Prothall to get you there because Profane hasn't done the Paintbrush of Souls on account of Zilart.

I haven't tried soloing Fenrir, but I bet it can be done. I really should, I don't have Fenny on Profane yet.

chionos
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Honestly I've always liked SMN but getting fenrir back then was annoying as hell.

A 99 can solo any of the first six Primes now, the only sticky point is Leviathan; I'd have to be on Prothall to get you there because Profane hasn't done the Paintbrush of Souls on account of Zilart.

I haven't tried soloing Fenrir, but I bet it can be done. I really should, I don't have Fenny on Profane yet.

It can, easily, with just about any job at 99 I would think. I did it with THF at 75 and NIN at 80.

Wish you'd have been around when I was still playing, Bleys. There were never any E-offers on Shiva till I left the game.

Mirage
03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
I'm still on Sylph, guys :(

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm still on Sylph, guys :(
World transfer? :P Would be nice to have everyone on the same server, although I understand doing that isn't as simple as it sounds.

I'm now ingame by the way, name is Nibb.

Mirage
03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I have several people I regularly play with on Sylph. No world transfer's gonna happen here

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Yeah I figured you did, oh well was worth a try.

CimminyCricket
03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm starting super fresh, never played the game for longer than it took to make my first character on the 360. That was years ago though, and I now have 2 copies of the PC version to start with.

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm starting super fresh, never played the game for longer than it took to make my first character on the 360. That was years ago though, and I now have 2 copies of the PC version to start with.

Sounds good. I just bought the game so it looks like I'll be playing.

CimminyCricket
03-16-2013, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure if I should start now or wait until May, because mid-April I'm going to be in Africa for work for around 3 weeks.

Khaotic
03-16-2013, 06:30 PM
I'm not sure if I should start now or wait until May, because mid-April I'm going to be in Africa for work for around 3 weeks.

Eh if it was me I'd play now, that's a full month away still.

Have to re-update now (went from trial to steam version, and apparently they're torturing me and forcing me to sit through all this again). As soon as this is all done I'll be playing a whole bunch.

Side note: Using an Xbox 360 controller is like the best thing ever compared to the keyboard.

Citizen Bleys
03-16-2013, 11:15 PM

Saw you online, but by the time my expensive food had worn off, you were gone.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 12:56 AM

Saw you online, but by the time my expensive food had worn off, you were gone.

Yeah I was playing for a little bit while steam was downloading it (was using the trial). Now I'm waiting for the updating again and then time to level.

Question: Do you guys need thieves? Trying to figure out what to play and if I can be useful to the LS I may as well.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Is it easier to play on Xbox or PC?

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Is it easier to play on Xbox or PC?

Haven't played on the 360, if you're asking because of my controller comment I'm just simply using a 360 controller connected to my pc. Honestly in my opinion it makes the game even better.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm going to have to Google how you did that.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Oh it's pretty easy, you just plug it in and then go into your FFXI folder and find the config file and mess with it. I'm sure googling it will give you more details though.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 01:58 AM
Oooo bummer. I don't have a cord haha. I do everything wirelessly D:

I actually forgot that Xbox controllers had those cords.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Oooo bummer. I don't have a cord haha. I do everything wirelessly D:

I actually forgot that Xbox controllers had those cords.

Ah, I'm the exact opposite, hate using cordless stuff.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 02:08 AM
I only do it because I grew up in a house where animals and people thought you were supposed to walk through cords. I've gone through too many systems and games to ever rely on cords again. XD

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Yeah that's a good reason, I've had my dog trip on my controller before and pull down the entire system. Fun times.

Anyway have you decided if you're going to play?

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 02:16 AM
Yeah I am busy this weekend and I found a 30 day free trial, so I'm going to jump on the chocobo on Monday or tomorrow night.

Tonight I am going to drink and claim an Irish heritage that doesn't exist.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 02:32 AM
Alright sounds good. Any idea what your main job is going to be?

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 02:33 AM
Not a single clue. I haven't even considered it yet, to be honest xD I'm installing the game now, but I feel like it's going to take a while because I have all the expansions and stuff.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Not a single clue. I haven't even considered it yet, to be honest xD I'm installing the game now, but I feel like it's going to take a while because I have all the expansions and stuff.

Yupp... had to do it once for the trial version, now I'm stuck doing it again for the steam full version. Last 2 days I've been updating for like 20 hours combined and only played for about 1-2 hours.

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet either, trying to get some more information on what's needed in the Linkshell. In the meantime I'm just leveling generic subjobs and doing what I can.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 02:45 AM
Unless they bring more than just story content I don't think I'm going to install them all at once, that would just take too long!

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:05 AM
Unless they bring more than just story content I don't think I'm going to install them all at once, that would just take too long!

Are you using CD's or something? Ouch. Still, if I were you I'd try to tough it out and get it all done and out of the way.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 03:07 AM
It's all one CD, but I have to install them separately. I just felt like it took a long time for the main game to install, but maybe that's because I'm impatient.

Also, how many times are you going to change your avatar tonight? xD

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:15 AM
It's all one CD, but I have to install them separately. I just felt like it took a long time for the main game to install, but maybe that's because I'm impatient.

Also, how many times are you going to change your avatar tonight? xD

Haha you noticed, I don't know, sick of using my old stuff from 2005 that I randomly found while browsing old posts, don't have photoshop on this comp anymore, so I'm just trying to find a decent picture and add a border.

Wow we have gotten off topic, we need one of those discussion threads like our old Diablo 2 one.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Isn't that what this is? Oops. xD

I have never been so frustrated with registration, they have to be so damn difficult. "You've created a square enix account, great! but you can't play ffxi with just that, click all these links until you figure out how to make a playonline too."

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:21 AM
Isn't that what this is? Oops. xD

I have never been so frustrated with registration, they have to be so damn difficult. "You've created a square enix account, great! but you can't play ffxi with just that, click all these links until you figure out how to make a playonline too."

Agreed, that registration was horrible. Infact, I started with a trial account, bought the steam version and had to put in my CD keys. Sounds simple, but what I ended up doing was creating a second Playonline account with the cd keys and having my trial account become trash (and losing my character in the process). What I found out afterwards is I was actually supposed to upgrade the trial account, but it never really told me how to do that. Oh well.

Compared to some other games, square really has to make it a little more simple.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 03:23 AM
I registered for WOW back in 2008 because I was ordered to and it was way more simple than what I'm doing right now. This is ridiculous.

Also, I don't know if this is even right, but my SE account is CimminyCricket. Add me as a friend xD

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:25 AM
I registered for WOW back in 2008 because I was ordered to and it was way more simple than what I'm doing right now. This is ridiculous.

Also, I don't know if this is even right, but my SE account is CimminyCricket. Add me as a friend xD

Bah I would but I'm stuck in the updating phase with my PlayOnline Viewer, currently sitting at 36%.

I'll make sure to do that once this is all taken care of.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 03:28 AM
i'VE HAD TO LOG IN 3 DIFFERENT TIMES WITH 3 PASSWORDS WTF

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:30 AM
i'VE HAD TO LOG IN 3 DIFFERENT TIMES WITH 3 PASSWORDS WTF

Rofl, yeah, playonline is pretty crazy.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 03:34 AM
I've been locked out because despite using the same password for everything but playonline I seem to have entered the wrong one too many times. This is at least 8 steaming piles of horse shit. I can't believe people still play this game.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 03:39 AM
I've been locked out because despite using the same password for everything but playonline I seem to have entered the wrong one too many times. This is at least 8 steaming piles of horse trout. I can't believe people still play this game.

Are you using your actual playonline ID? It should be 4 letters and 4 numbers, most likely in your email that you registered for. You also have a specific playonline password that was emailed to you.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 04:03 AM
It's not my playonline id that's messing up, tbh. xD It's my SE id that's doing it. HEY MAKE THIS ID, NOW THIS PASSWORD, NOW THIS PASSWORD AND NOW USE ALL THREE!!

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 04:53 AM
Get it working?

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 07:19 AM
I did, but now I have 20 minutes worth of updates sitting on my screen. xD This is ridiculous.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 04:00 PM
20 minutes? I don't think you've gotten to the 8 hours update quite yet. :x

Sidenote: I'm now ready to play and in-game leveling.

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 04:44 PM
As am I! I am level 3 now! :D

Citizen Bleys
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Are you also on Shiva?

I'm a sackholder in my LS, so I can keep an eye out.

My main characters are Prothall and Profane.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah, we need your in-game name :P

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Valenhil :c)

Also, I already have an LS, but I think I can have more than one! I'm also being forced out into the world for 'errands'. I'll play again soon. I don't know if this matters, but I'm in the Elvaan city and I found a Planar gate. It didn't react to me.

Citizen Bleys
03-17-2013, 06:13 PM
You got a shell, already? Criminy, that was quick

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Some guy on a chocobo named woobybob gave it to me. With a name like that I couldn't turn it down.

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Cim is a traitor! :(

CimminyCricket
03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
No I'm not! :C

Khaotic
03-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Man.. this game has really changed a lot. It's a nice change of pace though.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2013, 12:13 AM
You are on right now? What is your in game name?

Also, here is my AIM again, I don't think I have yours anymore: CimminyCricket

Khaotic
03-18-2013, 12:16 AM
You are on right now? What is your in game name?

Also, here is my AIM again, I don't think I have yours anymore: CimminyCricket

Stopped using AIM for years but I re downloaded it and made a new screen name, I'll add you.

My in-game name is Nibb.

CimminyCricket
03-18-2013, 05:45 AM
I'm addicted.

Mirage
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Maybe I'll transfer one of my mules over.

chionos
03-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Uh-oh, people getting into FFXI. And on Shiva! >_<

I've got to stop clicking on this thread.

But obviously part of me still wants to play this game.

CimminyCricket
03-19-2013, 05:40 AM
Come. Join us.

Khaotic
03-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Join us. ;)

Shauna
03-19-2013, 09:57 PM
When I get my first paycheck Mr Shauna and I may be taking a venture into FFXI... x3 I'll get back to you in a month.

Citizen Bleys
03-19-2013, 10:12 PM

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

ONE OF US

Khaotic
03-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Lol what have I started, before you know it everyone is gonna be playing ffxi again.

For the record I decided on BLU, already got the job unlocked, currently trying to learn spells and having a hell of a hard time with pollen.

Del Murder
03-20-2013, 06:07 AM
Good choice.

CimminyCricket
03-20-2013, 06:20 AM
I love the auction house. I just spent a long time fighting skels and have come out of there with 6 earth crystal stacks. Wooooo

Citizen Bleys
03-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Recovery spells are a bitch. Get a signet staff to feed the mobs TP, though.

I've got a 99 BLU and haven't done any spell hunting in a sod of a long time. I'd be glad to team up for Body Slam once you get there.

chionos
03-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Lol what have I started, before you know it everyone is gonna be playing ffxi again.

For the record I decided on BLU, already got the job unlocked, currently trying to learn spells and having a hell of a hard time with pollen.

ohhh, if I do come back, I'd love to finish blu out. If I didn't have to write tonight I'd be on already I think.

Khaotic
03-24-2013, 03:28 AM
Mightttt have changed my mind to MNK instead of BLU, honestly I just think there is too many people with 99 BLU and I find it's not worth being just another BLU and grinding out all those spells. Not to mention some of the good ones I can't even access, so that's not really motivating.

Plus, I've always like the hand 2 hand classes in games, so it works out. Gonna have to farm some of those key level 40ish items.

Also, if anyone is planning on playing again feel free to message one of us and we'll try to get you a pearl.

Del Murder
03-24-2013, 05:52 AM
Argh, you went from best to worst right there!

Khaotic
03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
:( Why's that? I just don't think BLU is the best job to start off with, maybe I'll reconsider once I get access to areas.

Do you play, Del?

Del Murder
03-24-2013, 08:02 PM
Oh, don't mind me. BLU was my favorite job and MNK was my least favorite. :D

BLU is a pretty hard job to take to 99 first since you have to farm all those spells and it requires some knowledge of where you need to go to do it. I found that part fun but most people found it tedious.

MNK is actually an easy job to level since it's pretty brainless and not very expensive. WAR too but at least WAR has some JA that are useful. I just hate the 'auto attack->WS' DD jobs because you're barely even playing at that point. BLU is constantly doing something which is one reason I liked it so much.

I used to play. I had BLU 99 and it was awesome. I had all the spells available at the time when I stopped playing.

Mirage
03-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Yeah, monk isn't expensive as long as you want to stay a brown belt gimp forever :)

Khaotic
03-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Oh, don't mind me. BLU was my favorite job and MNK was my least favorite. :D

BLU is a pretty hard job to take to 99 first since you have to farm all those spells and it requires some knowledge of where you need to go to do it. I found that part fun but most people found it tedious.

MNK is actually an easy job to level since it's pretty brainless and not very expensive. WAR too but at least WAR has some JA that are useful. I just hate the 'auto attack->WS' DD jobs because you're barely even playing at that point. BLU is constantly doing something which is one reason I liked it so much.

I used to play. I had BLU 99 and it was awesome. I had all the spells available at the time when I stopped playing.
Ah, I see. Yeah I can understand that. Well another reason to level mnk is for that... is it level 95? cap battle you need to do. Apparently I heard 5 MNKs and 1 SMN is a 100% win because of 100 hundred fists and Alexander.

What server were you on?

@Mirage, yeah I was planning on actually being serious with it unlike the MNKs that level it just for what I said above.

Del Murder
03-24-2013, 11:58 PM
I was on Pandemonium but it got merged into Asura.

What do you have to 'buy' for Black Belt? Isn't it a rare/ex quest?

chionos
03-25-2013, 02:46 AM
It is, just long and potentially annoying.

Gotta do 3 different KS99, get three items that pop three NMs, kill those and hopefully get another item each that pops the HQ version of those NMs, kill those and hopefully get the 3 items needed for the belt. It can be really frustrating for people in small groups who have to work hard to beat the ks99, and have to farm it many times because the NQ NM won't drop the needed pop item, or worse yet get to the HQ NM and still not get the drop.

But that's basically the only complicated thing MNK ever has to do, and it's pretty much definitely worth it.

Vincent, Thunder God
03-25-2013, 03:34 AM
i played only once, via free trial. does anyone recommend this, over, say Bioware's the Old Republic or WoW? It seems to have virtually nothing to do with the franchise, certainly not pre 12 and arguably not even pre 9-10. but if it's half decent, at least I can cut my teeth on it, i've never actually played an MMO, ever.

(could never get the Wow private servers to work)

chionos
03-25-2013, 06:32 AM
i played only once, via free trial. does anyone recommend this, over, say Bioware's the Old Republic or WoW? It seems to have virtually nothing to do with the franchise, certainly not pre 12 and arguably not even pre 9-10. but if it's half decent, at least I can cut my teeth on it, i've never actually played an MMO, ever.

(could never get the Wow private servers to work)

Not sure what you mean by "virtually nothing to do with the franchise."

Fight classic enemies like Behemoths, Ahrimans, Malboros, Cactuars, Tonberries, etc.

Play standard FF-based classes: White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Thief, Paladin, Dark Knight, Dragoon, Ninja, Samurai, Blue Mage, Red Mage, Ranger, etc., etc., etc.

Ride in Airships.

Raise Chocobos.

Talk to Moogles.

Cast spells.

Summon Avatars.

Collect class-specific gear, much of which is directly inspired by the original equips.

Use crystals to craft, use crystals to transport, use crystals to "save."

Explore: ruins, jungles, deserts, ancient battlegrounds, lost cities, caverns, mountains, volcanoes, etc.

I've played many many MMOs: WoW, FFXI, DAoC, Warhammer, Rift, PoE, Maple Story (lol), Allods, PSO, Tera, Wakfu, RoM, LotRO, Mabinogi, EVE, DDO, Age of Conan, et al.
FFXI stands out in many ways. For PvE content, I've not enjoyed any other game more. The primary downsides are lack of worthwhile PvP, and age--it's an old old game relatively speaking. FFXI's storytelling, at its best, was second to none, and at its worst is still better than a lot of what's out there.

Mirage
03-26-2013, 04:30 PM
I was on Pandemonium but it got merged into Asura.

What do you have to 'buy' for Black Belt? Isn't it a rare/ex quest?

If you want it for "free", you either need a lot of luck, or a lot of people with Kseals that they don't want to use on their own stuff. If you don't have literally thousands of kseals available to you in one way or another, or don't have a very good luck, you will probably have to resort to buying them from others, by having them initiate the battlefield, and then let you lot for the item if it drops in exchange for money. Or something like that. I'm not entirely sure how the practical things work because I haven't done it, I just know you'll need a few thousand kseals per bbelt you want to make, with average luck.

I mathed it out sometime last year or the year before, but I forgot exactly how many it was.

Del Murder
03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
A few thousand? Damn.

chionos
03-27-2013, 01:53 AM
That's really not so much for some people. In the early years, before the ToAU and well before Abby, a lot of end game, and all leveling, resulted in seals as biproducts. So anybody still around from back then will have a ton of 'em if they haven't used them up already. I, for instance, have around 1800, and that's after spending hundreds on helping a friend get their BB.

There's also a small chance of getting the beard/tongue/egg in the ks99 battlefields themselves, so theoretically you could get a BB for 297 KS. That's the absolute minimum. Average would probably be in the 1500-2000 range, but it could also take that much just to get one of the items.

If I ever manage to find the time to get back into the game, my 1800 would be willing to help someone with their BB, just because I enjoy those fights. Especially low-man.

Khaotic
03-27-2013, 04:44 AM
Been leveling BLU and getting more spells, but I seem to have hit a wall, AF quests.

I realize most people wouldn't be leveling BLU as their first job, so it's understandable why their AF quests are more annoying than others, but it's still pretty frustrating that I won't be able to get my AF until higher levels.

Just my Af 1 requires me to go to all the staging points as a level 52, no idea how I'd even do it at 40 if I was actually trying to.

Del Murder
03-27-2013, 05:30 AM
What other jobs do you have? I wouldn't do it as BLU, but if that's all you have then bring plenty of rr earrings and sneak/invis the parts you can.

I personally did it as a nin37/thf18. Shadows + Flee keeps you out of most trouble.

Khaotic
03-27-2013, 07:02 AM
I'm doing it as 52BLU/26DNC, so far I got 2 of them done.

Next 2 quests look pretty annoying as well, probably gonna need help with them. Can you seriously just craft the last 3 pieces though?

Currently working on my last one.

Annnddd.. Done. 20mins before maintenance.

Del Murder
03-27-2013, 07:04 PM
Yes, the last three AF are pretty much a joke. It makes up for the other quests! Be happy you don't have to go coffer hunting like most of the other jobs.

Khaotic
03-27-2013, 08:14 PM
I remember doing those. Anyway you should come back now that the new expansion came out today. :P

Andd sadly crafting those pieces is pretty expensive for a new player. I struggle just to buy an armor at 30k, by the looks of things these pieces will be like 80k+. Guess it's time to start farming gil.

Del Murder
03-27-2013, 08:17 PM
It's out? Is it fun? What server are you all on? It's likely there's few people left on Asura that I know.

Khaotic
03-27-2013, 08:33 PM
It's out? Is it fun? What server are you all on? It's likely there's few people left on Asura that I know.

We're on Shiva, not really sure if it's fun since I'm currently updating and have yet to login. Not to mention I'm probably too low level, but I'll get there eventually.

But yes, the expansion I believe was released today.

Citizen Bleys
03-27-2013, 11:43 PM
There's heavy congestion -- I'm subscribed to the expansion, but it's too soon to actually get the update downloaded.

Anyone thinking of coming back will probably be better off giving it a miss until Saturday.

Khaotic
03-28-2013, 12:03 AM
I didn't have too much trouble, but yeah there is some congestion. I guess it's just a matter of luck.

Hey bleys, do you by chance have a chance tonight to help me with my AF2?

Rostum
03-28-2013, 01:09 AM
I would be tempted to come back and finish off the story in the new expansion, but... They haven't shown anything that looks remotely appealing. They showed off some very bland looking environments, a vast and barren city, and a couple of meh-jobs. Where's the trailer for storyline-related shenanigans that would be sure to suck me in?

Maybe I'm just still jaded from leaving when Abyssea and Voidwatch were boring the hell out of me.

chionos
03-28-2013, 03:19 AM
Updating.
Gonna be a while, ugh.

Khaotic
03-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Updating.
Gonna be a while, ugh.

Welcome back :P Joining our server? or continuing your old one?

chionos
03-28-2013, 03:44 AM
Shiva is my server, has been from the beginning.

Downloading 3803/4040 files

Khaotic
03-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Ah alright that's cool.

CimminyCricket
03-28-2013, 04:06 AM
I think I'll download the update before I head to bed.

Khaotic
03-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Bah... Kyino was helping me with my AF2, we had discussed how we were going to do it and everything. Then as I was headed to Al Zahbi he suddenly disconnected and now I'm sitting in Whitegate wondering what to do. :(

Got the cast metal plate and access through the gate by myself, and had a complete stranger help me with the boss fight.

AF2: O

Now I'm stuck on G2, rofl. Seems like there is always something. :( I shall try soloing it tonight though.

G2 done thanks to Chionos!

I gotta say.. these new jobs seem annoying, from what I can see in Gusgen.

Last edit for the night:

Now I'm 60 and I need G3 and AF3... it just never ends, leveling so quickly is actually a pain.

Citizen Bleys
03-28-2013, 11:27 PM
At least you only have to do the genkais once.

((I can only get on at nights on weekends, since I work nights))

chionos already in our LS?

I haven't tried any Adoulin content or even figured out how to get there since I still have a lot of skilling up / WSNM stuff to accomplish first. Hopefully by the time I get around to it competition for mobs in low-level areas won't be so stiff so I can try out one of the new jobs.

Khaotic
03-29-2013, 12:45 AM
Chionos isn't, I believe, I can't invite him obviously since I'm not a sackholder.

Finished AF3 (Head piece). Now I'm trying to farm gil to get the rest of the set, and eventually do G3.

chionos
03-29-2013, 01:53 AM
No, I'm not yet, was only on long enough last night to help Nibb. I'll be on tonight though at which point I'll have to figure out where in the world to get started.

CimminyCricket
03-29-2013, 02:22 AM
OOO Are you starting over??

Khaotic
03-29-2013, 02:41 AM
Ugh.... level 60 limit break, always hated this one.

chionos
03-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Oh, no I'm not starting over. That'd be crazy! I should have said "restarted."

Khaotic
03-29-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks again chionos! Now on my way to 65.

Aaaannd done. Now I gotta do G4. Shouldn't be too hard thank god. Going to take a break and learn some spells though.

Citizen Bleys
03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't know if anyone else got the email, but Double EXP weekend coming up Apr 4-7.

11th anniversary is in May, so new EXP rings should be coming out then too.

It's a good time to be an FFXI player.

CimminyCricket
03-29-2013, 06:17 PM
woo dubl xp

Khaotic
03-30-2013, 12:39 AM
As if leveling wasn't easy enough.

CimminyCricket
03-30-2013, 04:03 AM
Right? It's easier than all the other FF games. XD

Khaotic
03-30-2013, 11:49 AM
70 andd now I feel stuck. Behind on skills, not very good gear, behind on spells (because I don't have access to a lot of the zones) and I need to do G5.

Looks like I have some catching up to do.

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2013, 12:52 AM
70 cap is pretty much impossible to do as BLU when you're actually 70; When I made Profane as a BLU main I got stuck there and finally just said smurf it and levelled bst to 70 for the easy win.

Khaotic
03-31-2013, 10:10 AM
70 cap is pretty much impossible to do as BLU when you're actually 70; When I made Profane as a BLU main I got stuck there and finally just said smurf it and levelled bst to 70 for the easy win.

I'll be able to do it.

And is it true that double exp doesn't effect aby or books? So it's pretty much only good until level 10?

Citizen Bleys
03-31-2013, 06:45 PM
It doesn't work in aby, and doesn't affect book rewards, but it's still good for additional exp from kills while you're doing books.

Khaotic
04-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Yeah I can tell this fight will be annoying, more so because I don't have the money to afford all the required consumables and even gear. Got him to around 35% with uncapped Blue magic, could have probably beat him if I actually had some potions to heal.

Gonna just do some missions and chill the next couple days.

CimminyCricket
04-29-2013, 10:11 PM
I'm back :c)

Citizen Bleys
04-30-2013, 05:44 PM
Likewise, but I've started levelling a craft mule, so I'll be on as Despard as much as either of the Pros now.

Not that I'm tough to identify even with a non name-themed character due to my abuse of the "must...resist...perverted...comment..." joke.