PDA

View Full Version : If Aeris doesn't die: Would you still like FF7?

Agent Proto
08-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I don't think I've seen a thread like this, so I'm going to start one myself.

Let's imagine that Sephiroth doesn't kill Aeris. How would this affect the game? Not having played through this game entirely, I couldn't really come up with a good answer, but I'm sure most of you would come up with crazy theories on what might have happened and how this could affect your opinion of the game. Would it make this game better, worse, or would it really make no difference, just that Aeris is still alive. Would you still like this game if Aeris doesn't die?

Citizen Bleys
08-19-2012, 07:19 PM
Better question: If Aeris doesn't die, would you still bang her?

Alpha2099
08-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah, I'd still love FF7 even if Aeris didn't die. While I love the story, it's the gameplay that really sells it for me. I love the Materia system. And honestly, if Aeris didn't die, I'd probably feel inclined to actually use her.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes, for sure. But it certainly would detract from the story.

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 04:23 AM
Why would I want that hussy to live?

Really, though, it was one of the most shocking and emotional moments in FF history. FF7 would not be the game it is without it. Also, her surviving would really alter Cloud's motivation, plus would ruin some of the later plot points (the whole learning about Holy and finding the materia would be unnecessary if Aerith was around to explain everything).

G13
08-20-2012, 04:36 AM
I'd still like it, it just probably wouldn't be my favorite. The shock and emotion behind her death, and a few other key moments, is what really sold it for me as my favorite of the FF games. Before then I hadn't experienced something as powerful as that in video gaming.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 04:37 AM

Absolutely. I would make her scream that she is the flower girl from the slums.

My serious answer Raistlin pretty much covered. There would have to be some sort of difficult obstacle.

blackmage_nuke
08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
I dont think it would really have effected my opinion of the game, but then again someone told me Aeris died so I'll never really know how it wouldve impacted me.

ReloadPsi
08-20-2012, 12:53 PM
I already decided I liked the game before I knew if Aeris died or not. Actually her death annoyed me because with her died a lot of the gameplay variety. I loved that all her Limit Breaks and her stats setup were completely different to everyone else's. You know, the ones which consisted almost entirely of "do damage."

Alpha2099
08-20-2012, 01:44 PM

I'd make her scream that she's the slum drunk.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 05:24 PM

I'd make her scream that she's the slum drunk.

And then pour booze down her throat while I'm at it!

Why does every fantasy I have end this way? *buries head in hands*

Shorty
08-20-2012, 07:13 PM
WReally, though, it was one of the most shocking and emotional moments in FF history. FF7 would not be the game it is without it.

This, essentially. It was an incredibly shocking scene and I kept thinking "she has to come back, right?" but no. I'm still glad they left her dead, though. A good story shouldn't be changed so that a happy ending can be salvaged from it.

Goldenboko
08-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Definitely. They took away the only non-cookie cutter character battle wise in the game.

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 05:34 PM
They can add a new Vincent/Yuffie hidden character to take Aerith's place shortly after she dies. It'd have to be a male character who can compete for Tifa's affections. That way they wouldn't entirely be trying to replace Aerith's character, just her place in battle. I would certainly find it to be interesting to see Tifa's dwelling over Cloud dwindle. He does not appreciate her.

Jowy
08-21-2012, 09:53 PM
uh

how would we have platforms to stand on during the final battle? how would that giant conch shell have opened in the city of the ancients? how ridiculously fucking easy would disc 2 and 3 be with great gospel spam on every boss fight?

i like her, she was probably my favourite healer in the series but again...she was so downright broken having her for the rest of the game would really make the difficulty nosedive.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Like how everyone says the difficulty isn't broken with E.Skill and such? Right...

Tranquil
08-22-2012, 03:51 AM
I don't think that twist made the game.

ReloadPsi
08-22-2012, 12:59 PM
uh

how would we have platforms to stand on during the final battle? how would that giant conch shell have opened in the city of the ancients? how ridiculously smurfing easy would disc 2 and 3 be with great gospel spam on every boss fight?

i like her, she was probably my favourite healer in the series but again...she was so downright broken having her for the rest of the game would really make the difficulty nosedive.

I don't think difficulty was ever an issue with this game.

Jowy
08-22-2012, 07:09 PM
carry armor is hard...proud clod was kinda tricky. helletic hojo was a pain the ass

mind you i haven't played that far through since i was twelve so the nostalgia goggles are pretty thick. last time i played through i ragequit when i got to carry armor.

Mercen-X
08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Yeah, when I replayed the game, I was confounded by the difficulty of the Carry Armor battle. I could swear it hadn't been so problematic my first playthrough.

Sephex
08-22-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't think that twist made the game.

Not being augmentative here, but what did for you? Simply curious.

Jiro
08-23-2012, 06:51 AM
carry armor is hard...proud clod was kinda tricky. helletic hojo was a pain the ass

mind you i haven't played that far through since i was twelve so the nostalgia goggles are pretty thick. last time i played through i ragequit when i got to carry armor.

I used to get to Materia Keeper and be stuck. Utterly fucked. But then I got my shit together and learned how to play vidya a bit better and voila it was a nothing boss.

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 01:29 PM
The only boss fights that ever gave me trouble were Carry Armor and the two headed dragon.

ReloadPsi
08-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, when I replayed the game, I was confounded by the difficulty of the Carry Armor battle. I could swear it hadn't been so problematic my first playthrough.
This one often gets me too, usually on some sort of challenge run where I'm doing something like No Materia or Initial Equipment. Every other time I I'm playing summon Knights of the Round on this twat because this actually is the one boss I still find intimidating.

The only boss fights that ever gave me trouble were Carry Armor and the two headed dragon.
Oh, and Schizo. Schizo can eat a dick.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh hell that was the thing in Gaea's Cavern yeah? I remember doing relatively well on that thing until it hit me with double-breath. It was shortly over after that.

Raistlin
08-24-2012, 12:52 AM
I don't know how this became an "annoying FF7 bosses" thread, but Carry Armor is indeed a massive pain in the ass.

Every other time I I'm playing summon Knights of the Round on this twat because this actually is the one boss I still find intimidating.

I can rarely be bothered to get KotR before ending disc 2, but that right there is a fantastic reason not to put it off.

Mercen-X
08-24-2012, 06:19 AM
I don't know how this became an "annoying FF7 bosses" threadThis wasn't "an annoying FF7 bosses thread"? Then why am I here?

Schizo. Once I found myself only surviving because I gave Vincent Fire-absorb and unleashed the Galean (hadn't unlocked DG yet), it was annoying watching him use Beast Flare on the surviving fire-absorbing head, but eventually he started laying into it with the Berserk Dance.

Also, yeah, I think on my first-ever playthrough Materia Keeper totally kicked me around.

Agent Proto
08-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Yeah, get back in topic guys. If you want to discuss about annoying FF7 bosses, find another thread to do that in. :p

Unless it relates to the topic in anyway, otherwise keep it out of this thread.

ReloadPsi
08-25-2012, 02:31 AM
It was very annoying to have Aeris as a forced party member against Demon Wall.

I give her Bahamut to summon at the start and put her on healing duty because she sure ain't good for owt else in that fight. Sometimes I've gone to the trouble to teach her Great Gospel at this point so I like to bust it out as a novelty.

Really would've liked to have her in the party for a few other fights. I once edited some Materia that shouldn't have been available on disc 1 into my inventory and watched her go proper shaolin with 4xCut.

Christmas
08-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Of course. I paid for that thing!!! :(

Spooniest
08-29-2012, 11:59 PM
It would be a different story, not a different game.

Quindiana Jones
08-30-2012, 12:44 AM
As above, the story would need adjustment, but it would be a good game anyway. Aerith's death definitely adds to the whole experience, though, and makes the game what it is.

Mercen-X
09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2hTx6gyflvE/Tkl-R3HmvXI/AAAAAAAAAAA/M1rCfx4vmHE/s400/aeris_comic.gif