PDA

View Full Version : I was going to post this in the Final Fantasy Type-0 forum

Old Manus
08-19-2012, 08:42 PM
But then I changed my mind.

Final Fantasy Type-0 is right up there in the dumbest titles for Final Fantasy games leagues, tightly gripping the hand of Dirge of Cerberus (seriously what), and casting furtive glances at FFIV The After Years.

That's the end of this PSA, but as I am obligated to offer a topic, it is which Final Fantasy has the most ridiculous name. I even added a poll too, to make it look like I care that little bit more.

ShinGundam
08-19-2012, 09:26 PM
http://i49.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/16anyur.jpg

Madonna
08-19-2012, 10:16 PM
Who sets a game before a crisis? That is like saying, play this game where you can buy weapons, potions, and wander the world map, where everyone tells you everything is fine. The final boss is your bed, and you reluctantly return to it as the day ends on a good note. It is misleading to say the least.

Shorty
08-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I have not played any of these but Dirge of Cerberus seems to be the worst.

Mercen-X
08-20-2012, 12:51 AM
How the hell is Dirge of Cerberus worse than "typo," I mean, Type-0?

Honestly, I don't really understand why people have a problem with the DoC title. Is it because the first word makes you think of "derp" like something out of the South Park episode where Rob Schneider is "de-derp-de-derp, derpity derp de-derp de-derp."

Or is it because you just don't know what "dirge" means?

Old Manus
08-20-2012, 01:36 AM
Knowing what dirge means doesn't answer any questions. Though chwarae teg, I know nothing about the game, so it may or may not involve multi-anteriored beasts singing sad songs - with Vincent as the main character, my money is on emo poetry.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 02:16 AM
Tactics Advance 2 is certainly a mouthful, and X-2 and XIII-2 are just confusing, but Type-0 really takes the cake on being absolutely fucking irrelevant as a title.

Shorty
08-20-2012, 05:22 AM
How the hell is Dirge of Cerberus worse than "typo," I mean, Type-0?

Honestly, I don't really understand why people have a problem with the DoC title. Is it because the first word makes you think of "derp" like something out of the South Park episode where Rob Schneider is "de-derp-de-derp, derpity derp de-derp de-derp."

Or is it because you just don't know what "dirge" means?

It's because "dirge" sounds silly and non-serious. Type-0 just makes me think of a blood type. Or "typo" if I say it in my head real fast.

Okay, they're both silly.

Jiro
08-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I think dirge sounds like a pretty fucking serious word to me. If I met dirge in an alleyway I'd give him my wallet straight up and ask him not to fucking kill me.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Dirge of Cerberus always sounded a bit silly to me. I would have voted for Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy if that was an option. What the hell was going on in that meeting, Squenix?

Mercen-X
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Would you have preferred Dissidence?

I like when Squeax name their titles in a way that make me pick up a dictionary. I've always been fascinated by language. It's a bit of distraction, actually, say I were to look up dirge, then something about the origin or a word similar dirge in wikipedia, I'd click a link, then another, then another. Usually, I have to open secondary tabs so that I don't get entirely lost.

I like Dissidia, I like Dirge, I like Versus, and I liked Agito. Until Squeak gives us a damn good explanation for why they chose "Type-0", I'll never approve. Hell, I may not approve even post-explanation (likely they don't have a good reason).

Dirge of Cerberus: 1) Surge of Dubious... 2) Merge of Moebius... 3) Nerds Conclavius... 4) Purge of Cerberus... 5) Virgin Cerberus...

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
I love The After Years because it reminds me of a bad 80s spinoff of a 70s sitcom.

ShinGundam
08-20-2012, 09:55 PM
Would you have preferred Dissidence?

I like when Squeax name their titles in a way that make me pick up a dictionary. I've always been fascinated by language. It's a bit of distraction, actually, say I were to look up dirge, then something about the origin or a word similar dirge in wikipedia, I'd click a link, then another, then another. Usually, I have to open secondary tabs so that I don't get entirely lost.

I like Dissidia, I like Dirge, I like Versus, and I liked Agito. Until Squeak gives us a damn good explanation for why they chose "Type-0", I'll never approve. Hell, I may not approve even post-explanation (likely they don't have a good reason).

Dirge of Cerberus: 1) Surge of Dubious... 2) Merge of Moebius... 3) Nerds Conclavius... 4) Purge of Cerberus... 5) Virgin Cerberus...
Type-Zero/Reishiki "零式" is likely originates from a military designation of the WWII Japanese fighter aircraft. Bahamut Zero from FFVII is actually named as Bahamut type-Zero in Japanese version.

If Type 0 or Dissidia bothers anyone here then i wonder what people think about this title.

ShinGundam
08-21-2012, 06:51 AM
Real?
What?

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
So this game, a sequel to the Four Warriors of Light, is named after the "Brave" and "Default" commands in its battle system. Gun, please.

DMKA
08-23-2012, 05:18 AM
But Dream Drop Distance is a dumber title than any of these. :p

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Type-0 definitely wins, hands down. Dirge of Cerberus may be nonsense, but nonsensical RPG names aren't that unusual, and at least it sounds serious. Type-0 is just silly.

maybee
08-24-2012, 07:47 AM
What ? No votes for Theatrhythm ? :p

DMKA
08-24-2012, 02:47 PM
FYI, the game is just called Final Fantasy Type-0. There's no "XIII" in it's title.

I guess I just don't get it because I don't see what's wrong with that title. o__O

Shauna
08-24-2012, 05:18 PM
What kind of name is Final Fantasy anyway - there's been like 100 of them. That's not final at all.

Madonna
08-25-2012, 02:00 AM
I saw this thread was still active and was just going to drop the hammer on every single Final Fantasy since the first, and then I read Shauna just did the same. Hmph. It is totally stupid.

Evastio
08-27-2012, 12:31 AM
I voted for Type-0 for weirdest name, but I'd pick Bravely Default Flying Fairy if it was on the poll.

Mercen-X
08-27-2012, 03:57 AM
That's true. But no one's ever heard of it, so naturally it wouldn't be on the poll. Has that been released in the US, Shingundam?

Karifean
08-27-2012, 08:46 AM
It's still in development.

But yeah, Type-0 is the dumbest of the bunch.

ShinGundam
08-28-2012, 06:20 AM
That's true. But no one's ever heard of it, so naturally it wouldn't be on the poll. Has that been released in the US, Shingundam?
Not yet, it might take a while because it is story driven game.

Sword
08-28-2012, 10:28 AM
I don't see what the big deal about Type-0 is. It doesn't sound very inspired but it doesn't sound terrible either. Sounds pretty ordinary to me. I vote X-2/XIII-2 since standard numerals directly conflict with the roman numerals in the titles. They should remove the 2 and add a subtitle instead.

Shauna
08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
I saw this thread was still active and was just going to drop the hammer on every single Final Fantasy since the first, and then I read Shauna just did the same. Hmph. It is totally stupid.

Great minds think alike, good sir!

Mercen-X
08-28-2012, 06:01 PM
X-2 makes me think they're trying to say "ten til," but can't pronounce it 'cause they're Japanese.

Wolf Kanno
08-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Nothing will beat Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] Final Fantasy. Squenix needs to seriously stop adding latin into their titles, though the FF series has nothing on Kingdom Heart's awful title schemes...

I don't mind Type-0 I think its an improvement over Agito. Adding a number to another number is silly though, so X-2 (friends who don't play FF keep mistakenly calling it FF12) and XIII-2 are pretty silly and only add to the silliness of any Final Fantasy with a number attached. Versus XIII is also a silly nonsensical title, so is Final Fantasy fighting the roman numeral 13? Most of the Compilation titles are also a bit weird. As has been pointed out, Before Crisis sounds misleading if you don't know anything about FF, but what the hell does Crisis Core even stand for in terms of anything relevant? :p

Del Murder
08-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Dissidia 012 [Duodecim] is the worst I agree.

Type-0 dropped the XIII part so it's not as bad, but still a stupid name.

Dream Drop Distance is also a dumb name but the KH spinoffs all get dumb names.

I voted for Final Fantas Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift, because the 'A2' stands for 'Advance 2' and the game is not even for the Gameboy Advance. Imagine Mario Sunshine for Gamecube being called Super Mario 64 2. Dumb idea. On top of that it has a really stupid subtitle.

Jiro
08-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Del raises a good point with FFTA2. Although Super Mario 64 2 would be an awesomely stupid name.

Del Murder
08-29-2012, 02:16 AM
There actually is a Super Mario 64 DS, but that is a remake of SM64 so it's ok. I don't know why FFTA2:GotR isn't just called FFTDS.