PDA

View Full Version : The redemption

Raistlin
08-20-2012, 05:15 AM
This year I've been reading up off-and-on on some of the changes being made to FFXIV, and what has struck me the most is the candor from the development team about how much FFXIV sucked when it was first released. I suppose this could be both a sign of honesty and a sign of how terrible the game was. I was reminded of that reading this interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-17-regaining-fans-trust-in-final-fantasy-will-take-a-long-time-ff14-producer-says) with the producer:

"At the original launch, we let down a lot of our fans. Fans around the world were expecting something great, and we feel like we let them down and we lost their trust. To regain that trust we have to show them we're still behind the project, and that Square Enix is dedicated to making something that's great. It's kind of a crazy idea, but we've got to do it."

How often do you hear "oops, our bad" from a production team? Of course, they did back themselves into a corner; there was no way they could get people to play unless they admitted mistakes and made some major changes. Is this candor legitimate, or just out of necessity?

Anyway, my main question here, for people who have played and are still playing the game (or just BoB), is how big of an impact have the current changes made? Is the game being dramatically changed, or is it a lot of tiny changes just to make it look like something is being done? And how significant do you foresee upcoming changes to be? Because at this point, I'm strongly considering trying the game out once 2.0 (now Realm Reborn) comes out.

And for people who haven't played FFXIV or quit shortly after the original disaster/launch, is any of this persuading you to give 2.0 a try?

Rostum
08-20-2012, 07:39 AM
They've had two development teams in developing 1.X alongside 2.0.

The changes to 1.X have been very good, and the game is very playable - we've seen a lot of new game design features and story development that will lead in to the reasoning behind the new game. Unfortunately due to incredible limitations in the current engine, they haven't been able to change much about the game or at least not to their or the fans' liking.

There are a lot of things still up in the air about 2.0, since the entire game will be changing. New engine, new battle mechanics, new interface, new features, etc. So all we can really do is speculate at the moment. However, everything they've shown us so far and the direction of the storyline in 1.X has been incredible, and if they continue to pour their hearts in to it like they have been then we'll be left with a very good game.

Edit: Btw... Destructoid has nominated FFXIV: ARR as best PC game at Gamescom this year. That's saying a lot, imo.

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 06:07 AM
Are you and BoB the only two EoFFers currently playing FFXIV? That's kind of sad. :( And where is that knucklehead, anyway? I was interested in hearing his opinion.

So basically, you think the producer's candor and devoting to upgrading FFXIV is legitimate, and these promises will be kept? That is hopeful.

Edit: Btw... Destructoid has nominated FFXIV: ARR as best PC game at Gamescom this year. That's saying a lot, imo.

That's awesome. I'll have to check out other responses from Gamescom.

EDIT: FFXIV did not win Destructoid's best PC game award, but it did win its readers community choice award (http://www.destructoid.com/destructoid-s-gamescom-community-choice-award-winner-233495.phtml) out of all the games at Gamescom. I think that's really cool, because it demonstrates that actual gamers are getting excited over FFXIV 2.0.

Jiro
08-23-2012, 07:16 AM
BoB gave me a trial code so I'm going to try and get myself set up this weekend and play! Is there any info I need to know before hand, like servers or whatnot? Hopefully it all works because I would like this to be the first time I really actively play a MMORPG -- aside from those good old Runescape days but we don't talk about those -- and I want to join in your smurfing adventures!

Loony BoB
08-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Server: Sargatanas
When you get in and you have a name, type this into the chat box: /tell Loony Bob Hi BoB, it's Jiro, add me to the LS. No dilly dallying!

That's the password.

Jinx
08-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I ordered this from Amazon, and it should be here today or tomorrow. :3

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-23-2012, 04:24 PM
I ordered this from Amazon, and it should be here today or tomorrow. :3

YOU STOLE MY IDEA! I just got it from UPS today...:D Seems interesting, so I figured, why not?

Jiro
08-24-2012, 06:41 AM
well smurfing shit you all stole my idea

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2012, 01:47 PM
It would be cheaper for me to visit one of you and steal your PC so that I could play this game.

Goldenboko
08-24-2012, 05:52 PM
If our linkshell gets ten members, I'll come back.

Loony BoB
08-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Do you mean EoFFers, or people in general? Check the Fat Chocobos thread, there are 22 subscribing players on it and at least half of those are actively chatting in the LS each week. If you mean EoFFers, it's probably getting close...

Loony BoB
smittenkitten
Valerna
Steelyangel
Raini
*Devore*
Dignified Pauper
Citizen Bleys (2x chars, not sure which is subscribed as he is admittedly only subscribed to get Legacy... so not actually active)
Tifa's Boobs
Jiro
The Summoner of Leviathan

Oh, hey, even with Bleys out, that's ten. :D

Rostum
08-25-2012, 05:45 AM
I'll probably make a character on your server when 2.0 comes out. :)

Jiro
08-26-2012, 09:10 AM
It seems I'm going to have to wait for the actual re-release now that they're destroying all copies of the original.

Loony BoB
08-26-2012, 10:33 AM
They are? o_O Wow. That sucks. eBay, Jiro. eBay!

Goldenboko
08-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I meant 10 active EoFFers BoB :colbert:. None of this Jiro counts and he hasn't started playing yet crap xD
I worry about my laptop's overheating issues making this game unplayable for me now :(

EDIT: I also don't think I want to play until 2.0 has an official release.

Raistlin
08-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I went ahead and bought a cheap copy on Amazon. If nothing else, I can see how my computer handles it and pay less for 2.0.

Ouch!
08-26-2012, 08:14 PM
I'm also playing, although on the same server as Rostum. Just beat the main story line of version 1.X last night, and I'm very much looking forward to everything coming with 2.0. I was a pretty vocal critic of the game when it came out, and while it's hardly perfect (there are still some mechanics that make no god-damned sense, specifically in regards to some almost-useless player stats), I'm having a really good time playing. Picking it up now may be worth the small head start for 2.0, but with how close beta and everything for that could be, it may just be better to wait as well.

Del Murder
08-28-2012, 07:03 PM
A vouch from Ouch is all I need (even though he's a server traitor). Show me a PS3 version and I'm totally there with you guys.