PDA

View Full Version : God damn it, Deling City

Rantz
08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
You are impossible to navigate.

Every time I do a playthrough and get to Deling City, I have no concept on how to get where I want. The camera angles screw me over by doing 180s between screens. Eventually, if the playthrough brings me back there enough times I'll start building up not a mental map, but at least some mental notes on how to get from point A to point B. Come the next playthrough, it's all gone again.

Discuss pet peeves in the game.

Jessweeee♪
08-20-2012, 08:55 PM
Sometimes I forget Laguna isn't supposed to go in the sewer and then I get lost :confused:

Agent Proto
08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Laguna getting leg cramps at the most awkward moments. That often annoyed me, like he's just about to score and suddenly "Oh smurf me, my leg's cramping. I can't do this..."

Gamblet
08-20-2012, 09:23 PM
Why don't you take the bus?

Sephex
08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
This may seem ode for me to complain about, but I hate the way they made Ellone dress. They way the scarf thing is draped over her combined with her animation makes her look like an old lady. I get they were trying to make her a frail character that needed protection, but the old lady vibe I got was very distracting.

Shorty
08-20-2012, 09:53 PM
I can navigate Deling City fine, but the sewers are a cesspool of death that which I can not find my way out of.

Spending a million hours my first round through drawing fire for every available party member only to realize that the upgraded Fira and Firaga spells are better and that it was all essentially a waste of time.

Jiro
08-21-2012, 01:58 AM
I can navigate Deling City on instinct but if I try and map out in my head where I need to go I will get so fucking lost. It's stupid!

blackmage_nuke
08-21-2012, 01:17 PM
setting the error allowance to max and seeing that the Galbadia missiles wouldve hit anyway

Jiro
08-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah I always felt like there should be a reward for an awesome sabotage

Jowy
08-21-2012, 05:39 PM
pet peeves:

disc 3 and 4

Iceglow
08-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Yeah I always felt like there should be a reward for an awesome sabotage

Minigame if they ever did a HD remake. Put a mini-game in to sabotage the missiles. If you get 100% accomplishment then there's a secret FMV whereby although Balamb Garden takes off and flies in to the ocean the missiles scream straight past and hit the mountains in the background?

Jiro
08-22-2012, 02:25 AM
I used to giggle at the idea that if you set the missile miss ratio to 100% then they actually fall short and hit Garden because Squall the big dick decided to move it :hahaha:

Hollycat
08-22-2012, 02:42 AM
One word.
Pocketstation.

ReloadPsi
08-22-2012, 12:58 PM
setting the error allowance to max and seeing that the Galbadia missiles wouldve hit anyway

One word.
Pocketstation.

Every time I do a playthrough and get to Deling City, I have no concept on how to get where I want. The camera angles screw me over by doing 180s between screens. Eventually, if the playthrough brings me back there enough times I'll start building up not a mental map, but at least some mental notes on how to get from point A to point B. Come the next playthrough, it's all gone again.

All of the above. Bloody hell.

Sephex
08-23-2012, 11:17 PM
I always found it hilarious that someone bothered program a way to make the missiles less accurate in the first place.

ReloadPsi
08-24-2012, 01:24 AM
I always found it hilarious that someone bothered program a way to make the missiles less accurate in the first place.

I was under the impression that was done in real life: it's designed to make missiles "spray" over a wide area rather than hitting an exact spot.

Sephex
08-24-2012, 04:07 AM

I was under the impression that was done in real life: it's designed to make missiles "spray" over a wide area rather than hitting an exact spot.

Well, if that is true, that's a misleading terminology.

Jiro
08-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Spray ratio probably wouldn't make sense though.

Iceglow
08-24-2012, 11:00 AM
Well for a start with an artillery strike we would be discussing spread ratio or saturation ratios not "spray" Spread ratio would control the distance covered by the strike so the spread could be a 5km target surface area or a 100km area depending on how much spread you need. Saturation ratio is the intensity of the artillery strike, are you looking to suppress enemy troops with lightweight munitions or looking to literally reduce everything including the hills to nothing? Even with the accuracy ratio to maximum errors possible the missiles all strike home dead on target in the FMV. What I find weird is that they have individual on board targetting computers as witnessed by the mechanical eye on the missiles in the FMV the only thing what made them miss is the fact that Garden moved.

ReloadPsi
08-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Yeah, the whole endeavour is pretty pointless. I wonder if Selphie ever sees the massive crater where Garden used to be and starts asking questions about how much she failed?

blackmage_nuke
08-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Holy shit, I went to look at the onboard targeting thing Iceglow was talking about and came across this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnmPQAgZiQE).

Was not aware that could happen.

Jiro
08-28-2012, 11:51 AM
Whoa, I didn't know that either. Crazy!

Gamblet
08-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Wow, I saw no difference in my playthrough with the error ratio settings.

Iceglow
08-30-2012, 04:52 PM
That game over fmv is unlocked if Squall fail's to get Garden moving before the time limit runs out I do believe.

Timsierramist
09-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Finding the White Seed Ship my very first time took me eternity!

Also, I hated the Galbadia D-District Prison. It was just chaos with battle after battle going up and down, back and forth all over the place, very annoying. It seems every FF game has some sort of scene like this where you are battling enemies endlessly with that "hurry" music blasting in your ear in the background.

And yes, the Deling City sewers were probably the worst.

Not enough side quests. There needed to be a lot more to do, particularly with the Chocobos. They might as well have just left them out of the game, at the rate FFVIII took it. I think FFIX had one of the absolute best Chocobo sidequests there was.

I thought Esthar City was pretty confusing and got lost the first time, but I didn't care. It was so amazing, awesome and grand, that I didn't mind getting lost and exploring the place over and over again.

But I could forgive all that. All of it if it wasn't for Mo Fo IRVINE!

I never liked the guy, ever, even when he changed and became a better member of the party. That guy just PEED me the fudge off. Never used him unless the game forced me to, at gunblade point.

Always sexually harassing the women of the party and acting tough, then nearly whimping out when we needed him most to kill the sorceress, then leaving us to be slaughtered and raped in the Galbadia D Prison.

Product of Galbadia Garden I guess.

Timsierramist
09-07-2012, 08:31 AM
...oh, that said. Don't get me wrong. FFVIII is my favorite of the series thus far.

Jiro
09-07-2012, 10:00 AM
D-District Prison was a bit of a shit. The beginning of Disk 2 is not my favourite although the contrast between Laguna's self imposed mental prisons and Squall's physical one was quite well done.

Christmas
07-01-2023, 01:54 PM
A real man never lost his direction.

MJN SEIFER
08-28-2023, 10:54 PM
This may seem ode for me to complain about, but I hate the way they made Ellone dress. They way the scarf thing is draped over her combined with her animation makes her look like an old lady. I get they were trying to make her a frail character that needed protection, but the old lady vibe I got was very distracting. It's something how different people can interpret things differently - I always felt that it made her look like a "magical fantasy" character in a sense - she still looked young enough dressed like that in my opinion, but she just looked "magical" in a sense. Like if she was part of the main team in a Final Fantasy game, she'd basically be the magical girl, who knows magic naturally and/or is the connection to some forgotten magical society, or something... Random, but it's something that people can get different vibes from the same thing.

On the topic of the thread; I do find it a shame in hindsight that chocobos aren't really relevant in this game - they have there moments, but by the time you get to them properly you already have a main vehicle, so there isn't that much to do with them, which isn't helped by this game being between FFVII and FFIX and both of which doing a lot more with chocobos, so they kind of took a break during FFVIII (Maybe Chocobo World was supposed to be FFVIII's main contribution with chocobos, but that may not exactly help, as not everybody could get a PocketStation...)