PDA

View Full Version : Al bhed Language

Freya
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
I've never maxed it out. Now I have a new system and new memory card so I don't have my old files. Has anyone maxed it out? What do you think of them actually adding in another language into an FF? I thought it was neat.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 09:42 PM
I managed to get everyone in a playthrough with the exception of Z. I forgot what you have to do the get that letter, but I remember thinking that it was too much trouble. Plus, how often do they say something with a Z in it? That, and it was easy to put the language together after getting a little less than half the letters.

Goldenboko
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
I did, then I replayed through with the translation - it was pretty neat. I like in the beginning when the Al-Bhed actually yell "Airship!" when you find it xD

DMKA
08-20-2012, 11:41 PM
My PS2 memory card got wiped clean at some point, but yes, I had the entire Al Bhed Primer completed on my older save files. It's cool to be able to tell what they're all saying in the beginning.

I liked the addition of another language that you have to work to decipher, personally. I hope they do it again in a future FF game.

Jiro
08-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Does having it all change anything? I mean, does Tidus suddenly understand?

Jinx
08-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Good question, Jiro.

A better question...why does an entire book only teach one letter? o.o

blackmage_nuke
08-21-2012, 03:48 AM
Does having it all change anything? I mean, does Tidus suddenly understand?

When you get all the primers and talk to Rin on the airship they have a conversation in Albhed and he gives him some items.

But I think after the first few primers there arent any two way conversations between Tidus and an Albhed anyway

Jiro
08-21-2012, 03:58 AM
I was always of the impression that the opening scenes in Spira should change if Tidus understands his rescuers.

Freya
08-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Who knows, maybe they'll do that in the HD edition! That'd be awesome.

Seriously xD

Madonna
08-21-2012, 06:08 AM
The Al Bhed language is a simple substitution cipher and it was a thin veneer to pretend there was more depth to the Al Bhed culture than weird eyes, a love of machines, and...no, actually, that is about it. I did enjoy that this different ethnic group basically spewed gibberish and there was a communication barrier, and I was able to not let the shallowness suspend my immersion in X's world.

That said, I use the Al Bhed cipher for messages to friends and to substitute script in images. Why not have a bit of fun?

Nebulance
08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Good question, Jiro.

haha yes! I always wondered that too!

I think I have all the primers except for maybe three of them. I know one of them I can't retrieve in this particular game I'm working on, since apparently you can only get the letter at 'Home' (Al Bhed's home base) and I'm way past that. I believe it teaches the letter S.

Hollycat
08-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Good question, Jiro.

haha yes! I always wondered that too!

I think I have all the primers except for maybe three of them. I know one of them I can't retrieve in this particular game I'm working on, since apparently you can only get the letter at 'Home' (Al Bhed's home base) and I'm way past that. I believe it teaches the letter S.

Save, start a new game, go to the orb in the first area, problem solved.

Nebulance
08-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Save, start a new game, go to the orb in the first area, problem solved.

are you referring to compilation of previous games? I'd still need to trek through to Home to pick those up, no?

Mercen-X
08-21-2012, 06:41 PM
It always annoyed me that you automatically get the first primer. Once you're able to understand which letters go where and no longer need them, I think it'd be more interesting to see the language in its default. But with the way the game's set up. You'd have to prtscrn every sentence and replace the "e" (I think the "e" was the first one. It's been a while.) so that 1) it isn't colored different therefore distracting to the eye and 2) I have no further point to make.

Freya
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I found a cool website that has the locations WITH PICTURES (http://www.squidoo.com/al-bhed-primer-locations#module115183161)! I already missed two though, luckily I can go back to get one and the other i can get in the desert so i'm not too worried. Thought i'd share!

Roogle
09-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Who knows, maybe they'll do that in the HD edition! That'd be awesome.

I suspect that Final Fantasy X HD will have very few additions to it, unfortunately. I agree that it would be nice if the sidequests like the Al Bhed language had more of an impact on the game and its story.