PDA

View Full Version : great music we listened to when we were young and stupid

Jowy
08-20-2012, 09:43 PM
I bought "Relationship of Command" in 2001 and its still on my top-ten list. What a ride! There isn't any part of that album that isn't just dandy. "White Light, White Heat, White Trash" by Social D still hits that teen angst vibe and "Stay What You Are" by Saves the Day hasn't stopped being good either.

What's something you listened to at least a decade ago and still enjoy?

NeoCracker
08-20-2012, 09:45 PM
The earliest songs I can remember listening ot are Oldies and Weird Al.

So Billy Joel, Queen, and Weird Al are just as awesome now as they were back then.

Sephex
08-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Because of my parents (mainly my father), I've been listening to Pink Floyd and The Cure all of my life. I still consider both among my favorite bands.

The Man
08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Beatles, The Doors, The Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Nirvana, The Velvet Underground, list goes on. I had pretty awesome taste for a teenager.

Of course, ten years ago I was nineteen, but even when I was thirteen or so I had decent taste.

Shoden
08-20-2012, 10:05 PM
I absolutely hammered Metallica and Alice Cooper when I first began getting into music but going further back I was constantly exposed as a kid to Rainbow, Dokken and Iron Maiden.
I still listen to the lot occasionally and still enjoy them but don't hammer them as much as I did all those years ago. Now I'm a Judas Priest fanatic but they're a more recent discovery for me, discovered them 4-5 years ago.

charliepanayi
08-20-2012, 10:09 PM
I never really had much in the way of favourites as a teenager but I did love R.E.M. and they're brilliant.

Peegee
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Is this a for serial thread? I was about to admit that I used to listen to and was a fan of ICP..but technically that was 12 years ago.

Jowy
08-20-2012, 10:18 PM
i think you want this thread:
http://home.eyesonff.com/lounge/143997-terrible-bands-we-listened-when-we-were-young-stupid.html

Peegee
08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
xD yes

good bands I listened to 10+ yrs ago were probably 90s grunge. Nirvana, Pearl Jam....

I never got into Alice in Chains for some reason. The entire concept is a void in my brain.

>grunge

Pike
08-20-2012, 11:09 PM
Classical stuff
REM
Good U2
John Freaking Denver I don't even care I love this man
Cyndi Lauper

Some other stuff

Alpha2099
08-20-2012, 11:22 PM
The earliest songs I can remember listening to are Oldies and Weird Al.

So Billy Joel, Queen, and Weird Al are just as awesome now as they were back then.
Pretty much the same for me, although I didn't get into Queen until college.

Clo
08-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Classical stuff
REM
Good U2
Cyndi Lauper

Some other stuff

I. Love. John Denver. My dad sang me his songs as lullabies when I was a kid.

Pike
08-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Classical stuff
REM
Good U2
Cyndi Lauper

Some other stuff

I. Love. John Denver. My dad sang me his songs as lullabies when I was a kid.

<3 <3 <3 seriously I love him so much

Alpha2099
08-21-2012, 01:32 AM
John Denver was great. My dad would play his cassettes when we would go on road trips.

Bunny
08-21-2012, 03:19 AM
I started listening to Radiohead around 2000 or 2001, shortly before the release of Amnesiac (which was my very first Radiohead album). Honestly, earlier than that, I was not very big on music. It's never had that emotional draw for me like it seems to have for other people. I am told that something like this is very weird, and that others cannot really imagine having that emotional tug with music they listen to. For me it serves as background noise while I do other things.

Trumpet Thief
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Jowy, you make the best threads. :)

I sort of forget some of the stuff I listened too, but I do know that staple 90's bands and one-hit-wonders jived pretty well with me. Smashmouth, Nirvana, aaaand I actually forget what else I listened too. :(

Pike
08-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Thought of another great one: Paul Simon/Simon & Garfunkel. :love:

Faris
08-21-2012, 03:40 PM
For a full decade? Nothing yet. My music taste constantly changes and is never the same what I loved 5 years ago, I don't love now. So far these bands are standing the test of time: The Offspring, Vertical Horizon, and K's Choice.

Jessweeee♪
08-21-2012, 04:26 PM
Garbage, Orbital, Filter, Incubus, Deftones

Shorty
08-22-2012, 05:09 AM
Some of these I still listen to frequently, some were part of my stoner phase but I still love them dearly.

Blink-182 (pre-self titled)
Gorillaz
Green Day (pre-American Idiot)
Korn
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Mindless Self Indulgence
Pink Floyd
Placebo
Rage Against the Machine
Silverchair
Sublime
The Postal Service
The White Stripes

I wish my parents had better taste in music. I'm jealous of my friends who were raised with David Bowie and Velvet Underground and The Cure and stuff. I had to go find that tit myself.