PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars 2

Bolivar
08-21-2012, 04:32 AM
Hey, I know multiple threads have been made about the game, but I searched the first page and since I know this forum's policy against reviving old friends, I thought I'd make this one. I wanna know who's getting in on it for the official launch this weekend, if any of us are gonna try to play on the same server, if we're gonna make groups or what not.

I'm relatively new to MMOs. I played an unhealthy ton of EverQuest back in the day (pre-2000), and have been playing a ton of WoW over the last few weeks, but I'm really excited for this because I'm looking for something more. I'm really hoping GW2 will be what I'm looking for when it comes to engaging combat and role playing.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think and maybe refresh us on some opinions if you've tested the beta.

Laddy
08-21-2012, 07:13 AM
I didn't get the beta, but I'm so damn excited. I'm excited for the cool-looking combat, amazing visuals, and a personality/background coming through your character. This is going to be awesome!

What's everyone playing? I'm playing a Human Mesmer for my first playthrough. :D

Laddy
08-26-2012, 03:38 AM
Double post, I know. But I felt it was relevant.

Got into early access. It is truly excellent. That is all.

escobert
08-26-2012, 04:49 AM
everyone and their mother wants to make a human Mesmer.

I'm playing Asuran Guardian.

Shlup
08-26-2012, 09:04 AM
I think my ID is SailorMoon.9786

My main in an Asuran Engineer, but BJ wants to play some humans tonight so I guess that's what I'm doing.

escobert
08-26-2012, 08:47 PM
What server is everyone playing on?

My main is on Sorrows Furnace. If everyone wants a EoFF Guild we should all pick a server to start new toons on!

Laddy
08-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Mine is Aurora Glade. The American serves were full.

Bolivar
08-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Bolivar.6287, a Human Guardian on Dragonbrand. Server changes will be free for a while so we have some time to decide if we want everyone to link up for an EoFF guild.

Shlup
08-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I'm in Isle J-something.

escobert
08-29-2012, 01:31 AM
Oh well, I suppose I can give you all my name thingy.. And sadly I wont be leaving Sorrows Furnace since it's where my real life friends play. For some reason I thought you could have toons on different servers.

escobert.9024

Bolivar
08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
Well, would anyone have a problem with playing on Sorrows Furnace? I know a lot of us are split between the States and the UK, so I'm not sure how big a deal different continental servers will make on the average internet connection.

escobert
08-30-2012, 04:04 AM
Yeah I dunno either, if you guys want to come over, we've got a pretty good sized guild started up with 40 or so people. All know eachother through someone else in the guild.

Loving the game so far. World vs World is awesome but kills my GPU. They took everything I loved about GW1 and then added a shitton more. Love the combat system. Switching weapons and learning skills is super easy to learn and play around with, it makes using new weapons fun.

The fact the cities actually seem big and full of life be it NPCs or other players is fun. It's nice actually feeling like you're in a city and not like The Elder Scrolls where there's like 10 houses in what looks to be a big city.

Overall I'm very happy and can't wait to get more into it!

Christmas
08-31-2012, 05:24 PM
OMG!! SHOULD I BUY!!!???? HOLY!!!! I USED TO BE QUITE A FAN!!!

escobert
08-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Yes it's everything and more than the first.

Markus. D
09-01-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes it's everything and more than the first.

Mhm. MhMMMmm. MHhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHNAEGLKTNM,H,HKMGHMMMMmm

edit: It's easily GotY for me. It's very little like it's former game (which is a good thing in a lot of ways), save for it's established lore. But it takes elements from many other games, and meshes them together in a seamless string of dynamic events. Also the platforming puzzles, like legit smurfing puzzles. Exploration is the best I've seen in an MMORPG.

Bolivar
09-01-2012, 04:22 AM
Exploration is indeed pretty sick, I love the vantage points like Assassin's Creed and how you get a decent chunk of XP for things like that. Exploration is made even better with how dynamic events can string you along the world and the crafting system is just so damn rewarding. For one, I've heard a lot of people rejoice over resource nodes not disappearing once 1 person gets to them. But I've gotten a ton of XP from crafting, like a LOT, and have created some pretty awesome stuff, from actually useful gear for my toon to just cool stuff like Onion Rings and Veggie Burgers for all my vegans out there.

This game is great.

escobert
09-03-2012, 05:29 AM
I still need to do some leveling, about to hit 21. But everything is so fun. I love just wandering around and doing random events and foraging.

escobert
09-05-2012, 02:37 PM
It's out.. if you're not a bot?

Almost to level 30. My guild is like pretty much all close to 80 damn them. I've been slacking and exploring too many cities!

Shlup
09-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Pepperblossom is cute as hell.

escobert
09-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I don't believe you actually play! I've yet to see you on!

Shlup
09-09-2012, 04:23 AM
I didn't really get to play this week, other than for a couple of hours last night. I'm only level 21. Two of my friends hit 80 a couple of days ago. D:

Bunny
09-09-2012, 05:37 AM
Are there any major differences in the leveling process than other MMOs, namely WoW? I've heard that the focus is put almost entirely on PvP (which is supposedly amazing) but I've heard that the PvE experience is pretty lackluster in that it does not offer any differences than standard PvE.

Shlup
09-09-2012, 05:48 AM
I haven't really paid much attention to leveling--there's a ton of stuff to do, and if you're a higher level than the area you're in it levels you down. I've yet to even attempt to grind; there's always an event or something around that'll give you experience, so plain grinding is kind of pointless. I haven't tried PvP yet, but my friends are enjoying it. BJ and I spend most of our time exploring.

Bolivar
09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Bunny, I think someone was trying to mislead you about the game, because while the PvP and World PvP is very robust and quite impressive, the PvE does a lot of great things which are different from your standard MMO.

For one, the PvE revolves largely around random events which pop up every now and then which then have the potential to branch off into further events. Some of these take you to areas you might not ordinarily find, like little caves or caverns hidden away. But some of these might take you to areas you don't have access to without that event. Either way, the "dynamic events" as they call them live up to the marketing slogan, that "you never know what to expect" each time you log into Guild Wars 2.

Like other MMOs, GW2 also has PvE dungeons, which are a lot like your WoW instances with damage-sponge enemies and extra rare loot. But actually playing dungeons is completely different from other games because there are no obvious, set roles like "Tank, Healer, DPS." Every profession (character class) in the game has the capability to tank. Every character will have at least one healing ability on their bar at all times. Every profession has a selection of main hand and off hand weapons whose combinations lead to an array of radically different ability pools and play styles. It's actually incredibly exciting, in that we're all still trying to figure out how exactly to tackle these dungeons. No matter how it all plays out, I can guarantee you dungeons are very different in GW2.

Then there's tons of little things in there that add to the experience, like crafting. For one, resource nodes don't expire once one player collects the resource; they exist for everyone. But the resource nodes string you along the map to new areas you've never seen and, consequently, new dynamic events you haven't experienced. Plus I've already crafted incredibly useful equipment my own character, made some decent money, and gained a ton of experience. They give you a decent chunk of experience points for crafting new recipes and discovering new ones by experimenting. I've actually gained levels from crafting.

There's so many things the game does right that you wish other MMOs did, or new ideas that seem like they should have been obvious for other games from the start, and a lot of that can be found in the PvE alone.

escobert
09-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Bunny, I think someone was trying to mislead you about the game, because while the PvP and World PvP is very robust and quite impressive, the PvE does a lot of great things which are different from your standard MMO.

For one, the PvE revolves largely around random events which pop up every now and then which then have the potential to branch off into further events. Some of these take you to areas you might not ordinarily find, like little caves or caverns hidden away. But some of these might take you to areas you don't have access to without that event. Either way, the "dynamic events" as they call them live up to the marketing slogan, that "you never know what to expect" each time you log into Guild Wars 2.

Like other MMOs, GW2 also has PvE dungeons, which are a lot like your WoW instances with damage-sponge enemies and extra rare loot. But actually playing dungeons is completely different from other games because there are no obvious, set roles like "Tank, Healer, DPS." Every profession (character class) in the game has the capability to tank. Every character will have at least one healing ability on their bar at all times. Every profession has a selection of main hand and off hand weapons whose combinations lead to an array of radically different ability pools and play styles. It's actually incredibly exciting, in that we're all still trying to figure out how exactly to tackle these dungeons. No matter how it all plays out, I can guarantee you dungeons are very different in GW2.

Then there's tons of little things in there that add to the experience, like crafting. For one, resource nodes don't expire once one player collects the resource; they exist for everyone. But the resource nodes string you along the map to new areas you've never seen and, consequently, new dynamic events you haven't experienced. Plus I've already crafted incredibly useful equipment my own character, made some decent money, and gained a ton of experience. They give you a decent chunk of experience points for crafting new recipes and discovering new ones by experimenting. I've actually gained levels from crafting.

There's so many things the game does right that you wish other MMOs did, or new ideas that seem like they should have been obvious for other games from the start, and a lot of that can be found in the PvE alone.

You just said everything I've been trying to tell other MMO players for a the last week and a half now but am too retarded to be able to. <3

Also, inventory has been done awesomely. No more crap I've got to organize everything and then move all my materials over to my storage crap. Nope you clock one button all crafting materials are moved, click another and your inventory is all compacted so you don't have random crap in random bags.

Bolivar
09-11-2012, 04:43 AM
Yeah being able to send crafting items to their own (near-)unlimited bank is one of those "why don't other games do this" items I mentioned and a huge plus. Not to mention you can craft cooking items from that bank as well. Salvaging also plays a huge role, so if weapon/armor drops are filling up your boxes and bags you can salvage them for useful items for your craft, send those items to the bank, and you got the space and are better off for it :)

escobert
09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
I have decided this game should be call World of Gatherers. I say this because 90% of the time I see somewhere I'd like to go but never make it because I end up halfway across the map follow resource nodes to gather xD Same in WvW. "Why on earth would I want to take that castle when there's a rich gold mine over that way!? Oh look a sappling! Oh there's some onions. Oh crap now I'm in the middle of an enemy stronghold."

McLovin'
09-12-2012, 01:58 AM
I got the game. It's pretty awesome so far. It has so much of the stuff WoW tried to implement in its later installments all perfectly ready to go. And the world is so damn eventful lol. There's no peace of mind. Kinda makes me lag tho. If anyone want's to play I'm Blackassdynamite on Anvil Rock.

Bolivar
10-10-2012, 03:49 AM
Hey I just wanted to bump the thread and see who's still playing and see maybe if we could get a name list going. Server changes were still free a little while ago so it's feasible if we want to get together. Also PvP lets you play cross-server, so we could always have a game night on that.

Speaking of which, after thoroughly going through quests, dynamic events, dungeons, and World vs World, I've finally gotten to the PvP. And it's glorious. It's one of those very special games that are so pleasingly simple yet so astonishingly deep that it's just a marvel to behold and to be a part of in its very early life. The combat system is so unique, but to see it play out so radically different in each of the different main modes of the game is a real joy, and there's so much more experimenting and discovery to take place. I'm stunned at how far ArenaNet took it with this game.

escobert
10-12-2012, 03:54 AM
Still playing and loving every minute of it.
escobert.9024
Server: Fort Aspenwood
57 Asuran Guardian Weaponsmithing/Armorsmithing
47 Charr Ranger Huntsman/Leatherworking
Guilds:
Repping Least Likely To Succeed [LLTS]
(Mainly WvW) Perfect In Theory [PiT]

Bolivar
10-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Can you be a member of different guilds or is each character free to join separate ones?

escobert
10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I believe you can be in up to 5 guilds on an account, all characters will be in the guild you are in. You can only represent one at any given time however.

Bolivar
10-14-2012, 01:43 AM
Wow, that 's like... one more example of how they really thought everything through on this game.

escobert
10-14-2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah so it depends on who on for which guild I'm repping. If I'm with all PiT guys, I'm going PiT if it's all LLTS then I rep them.

Aulayna
10-16-2012, 03:47 AM
This (http://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/469145_10151161334634708_513166842_o.jpg) has been pretty much the state of my account since Borderlands 2 and subsequently Mists of Pandaria came out.

I had fun with it but I dunno I just load it up now and don't really have any drive to do anything on it as a lot of it feels so grindy now - the standard questing feels so dull and samey compared to the amazingness of the storyline quest. I guess the advantage is it doesn't have a sub so it's something I can always come back too.

Bolivar
10-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Have you tried World vs. World or PvP? Sometimes I feel like GW2 is really just an incredible multiplayer game that happens to have a really fun and well done MMO attached to it.

escobert
10-17-2012, 11:08 PM
WvW is insanely fun.

Aulayna
10-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Did a lot of WvW whilst levelling. Pretty much all I do anytime I go on it - just wish the Badges would drop more reliably.

Shlup
10-18-2012, 07:34 AM
I'm too chicken to do WvW or PvP.

Bolivar
10-20-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm telling you Shlup, you'd be surprised how easy and and non-intimidating it is to get into the competitive modes.

escobert
10-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Bolivar, I believe our servers are against each other in WvW this week! :D

Bolivar
10-22-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm on Northern Shiverpeaks right now... what's yours?

No matter, such conflict is inevitable and I pray for your soul and everything it holds dear that we never face eachother on the fields of combat.

escobert
10-22-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm in Fort Aspenwood, wont be changing form there. Not fond of tyhis sever shifting crap. Throws the server ranks out of wack every week. I vote they close the free sever changes asap. My guild had to leave Sorrows Furnace for a lack of WvW players on the server.

escobert
10-26-2012, 08:19 PM
So I was actually able to claim a tower for my guild in WvW last night. Then Tarnished Coast rushed in and killed us all :( but it was still cool seeing my guilds banners flying in combat!

Bolivar
10-26-2012, 08:29 PM
yeah i alwasy wondered how cool that would look