PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Dogs

Freya
04-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Having Squeenix liked on fb they show me STUFF. Looks like they are pushing the whole preorder thing for sleeping dogs.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523567_10150737656584461_59916854460_9376155_2133195422_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/523567_10150737656574461_59916854460_9376153_1246136761_n.jpg
http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/523567_10150737656579461_59916854460_9376154_1872198215_n.jpg

Sleeping dogs is looking cooool :jiro:

nirojan
07-04-2012, 09:28 PM
http://youtu.be/yCVWEKPeTCU

The Game - No More Fun and Games (Sleeping Dogs Remix) Music Video - YouTube (http://youtu.be/yCVWEKPeTCU)

iceman00890
08-20-2012, 04:49 AM
When will pre-orders for games be good? I don't care about an outfit, give me something cool like a new weapon that kills all, or s tank. I like tanks. GameStop has the right idea. I may actually pre-order this from them.

Jiro
08-22-2012, 02:37 AM
I took a look at a video of it online the other day and it got me excited. Looks like fun! I was a fan of the True Crime series which it was originally meant to be a part of but I think yeah, it'll be quite a nice little game.

Sephex
08-22-2012, 03:51 AM
Friend was over playing this at my place last night. It seemed pretty cool. If you liked any of the True Crime games then ride the goat past wander street and pick up a copy.

Madame Adequate
08-22-2012, 04:39 AM
Why aren't you bumlords talking about this?

Sleeping Dogs is an open-world action game in the vein of GTA. It was originally True Crime 3 but Activision dropped it, and then Squeenix picked it up and over the course of this the name changed. True Crime was never very impressive to me but they've really shaped up here, because Sleeping Dogs is great.

You play as Wei Shen, an undercover cop on loan from the SFPD to the Hong Kong Police Force and all-around badass who is trying to infiltrate the Sun On Yee, a Triad gang of considerable power on the island. This of course gives you free license to get into all manner of shenanigans, most of which involve copious amounts of barefisted violence. Guns are pretty uncommon, I've not acquired one in about six hours of play and I don't mind that at all, because the hand-to-hand combat takes its cue from the Batman: Arkham series and does so very well. In fact much of the game is in one way or another inspired by other games, and it all blends together pretty damned well.

Also, of course, you're in Hong Kong, which is a pretty great setting for a game like this because giant dense urban places are awesome and I feel like I'm really there even though I've never been!

Oh and the soundtrack is great!

Jiro
08-22-2012, 04:43 AM
There's a Gen Square Enix thread where it's being discussed?

Raistlin
08-22-2012, 04:49 AM
Mod fail.

Raistlin
08-22-2012, 04:53 AM
I was reading up on this just the other day and was surprised and how cool this game sounded. I might have to check it out once the prices drop.

It's being advertised as a sandbox game ala GTA. For people who are playing it, how open is the game? How big does it feel?

escobert
08-22-2012, 04:55 AM
I've been watching/jumping in while my friend has been playing this. All I have to say is you're Jet Li. Who doesn't want to be a bad ass Jet Li?

EDIT: As I was typing this I was wondering why it wasn't in square gen. lulz maybe I should read threads.

Madame Adequate
08-22-2012, 06:13 AM
:mad2: ashdbhjawkdbad;asd I HATE YOU ALL :colbert:

Merged the threads. That's not a double post on Raist's part. Just act like my post is a regular post and not a stupid OP by a stupid guy with brain problems :monster:

To answer Raist's question though the game it is an open-world game where you can dick around in plenty of places, but it's not as big as a GTA. The island is actually pretty small and you can't go romping through the woods, but then why would a badass gangster be off hiking through the woods anyway. I don't personally feel anything is lost from this; the game was on a budget and they did a damned fine job with what they had to work with, and what is there is astoundingly detailed and well-realized. I'm certainly not feeling any constraint myself, though I've seen the occasional person who has more issue with it than me.

escobert
08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
yeah I noticed sometimes in police chases I'd be going through the same areas frequently. But I really didn't feel like it was a small city at all. Felt very full and vibrant. I like that you don't really get weapons besides ones that drop in fights. It makes going on random killing sprees much more fun when the cops come and you have to disarm one to get a gun before you get cuffed/shot

Jiro
08-23-2012, 08:21 AM
It probably makes it a little more realistic when you can't just have all these guns just lying around. I like the sound of what I'm hearing. Goddamn need a spare day.

Raistlin
08-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Square just released a Sleeping Dogs demo (http://www.sleepingdogs.net/news/Demo-Out-Now) for all systems.

The demo lets you jump right into the action for extensive hands-on time with Wei's bone-crunching martial arts skills as he chases down a rival gang member muscling-in on his Triad turf. Gameplay unfolds as Wei pursues his target through the vibrant, bustling Night Market - you'll need to vault across numerous stalls and packing crates, scale walls and leap from buildings before reaching its climax with a ruthless rooftop fight.

The demo continues with a sneak look at a later level, where gunplay is thrown into the mix as Wei takes on numerous opponents in a dock-side warehouse. You'll need to perform vaults from cover, which slows down time allowing for pin-point accuracy, as you track-down your target. We put together a little video to give you an idea of what's in store.

Madame Adequate
08-23-2012, 06:26 PM
So yeah bombing around the city listening to Echo City and/or Pachelbel's Canon in D, diving from vehicle to vehicle, shooting people in slow-motion as you vault over stuff, and then getting horribly destroyed by a great many cops is pretty great.

Del Murder
08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
I saw a commercial for this game and it looked pretty dumb. Graphics were PS2 quality. Maybe the game is actually better than this but that commerical sucked.

Jiro
09-11-2012, 12:38 AM
So Sleeping Dogs is pretty much dominating everything right now. (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/square-enixs-sleeping-dogs-reclaims-top-spot-in-all-formats-games-chart-8122053.html)

Jinx
09-11-2012, 01:04 AM
Came into this thread hoping we were talking about how cute puppies are when the dream. :(

Jiro
09-11-2012, 01:06 AM
In General Square Enix? Not likely. The only "puppies" talked about here and not of the canine description.

Mercen-X
09-12-2012, 08:16 PM
This whole time you gimps ha been talking up this SleepDog, I've been wondering, what are they on? The name sounded lame. I dislike when Square Enix releases stuff that too far from RPGs/action-adventure (I don't often remember they have stuff like fighting games) and this just looked like some Army of Two/Kane&Lynch-style FPS I couldn't get into. But I was at my cousin's the other day (they own a 360) and played a demo. (I'm trying to create a new swear that's equally offensive without being known as a swear to prove that it's not the word, it's the intent) That game is awesome! "Tap A to parkour", "Tap B to grapple... Tap B to 'release", "Tap X for light hits... Hold X for heavy hits", "Tap Y to catch attackers." The gunning parts are also pretty wicked.

Jiro
09-13-2012, 01:43 AM
I thought it was clearly a play on the "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" maxim. :confused: But I'm glad you enjoyed the demo! I'm going to pick up a copy of Sleeping Dogs real soon, had a go of the demo and it was pretty sweet.

Jiro
09-24-2012, 12:40 PM
DLC is on its way.
(http://www.tmrzoo.com/2012/37956/sleeping-dogs-dlc-announced-trailer)

Madame Adequate
09-29-2012, 05:11 AM
"20 new cop missions in the SWAT Pack"

Yessssss get in

Sephex
01-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Bumping this thread because I got this game for Christmas and recently beat it, and I have completed most of the other optional stuff. I love it a lot. Much better than the recent GTA games in the past few years. For those of you on the fence, I would say that wait until the price drops, but this game does so many little thing right. Also, someone in this thread said the soundtrack was great. I agree on that point as well.

Nicolas
01-23-2013, 07:19 AM
Bumping this thread because I got this game for Christmas and recently beat it, and I have completed most of the other optional stuff. I love it a lot. Much better than the recent GTA games in the past few years. For those of you on the fence, I would say that wait until the price drops, but this game does so many little thing right. Also, someone in this thread said the soundtrack was great. I agree on that point as well.

For the most part, I completely agree. One of my favorite games of last year, hands down. It played very well, focused on the right parts of gameplay, and even had a story I enjoyed overall. It helps that I am a fan of Chinese Cop Drama films. Probably one of the better purchases I've made as of late.

EDIT: The game also plays along SHOCKINGLY well to THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxopViU98Xo). I really wish I were joking, but I'm sure face introduced it to me while I was playing and it just matched up so well I couldn't stop listening to it. ;o