PDA

View Full Version : deus ex human revolution

Jowy
08-22-2012, 10:23 PM
i have legitimately tried to enjoy this game and just...can't. what's wrong with me :aimsad: does it get any better after the first mission? i wound up just getting bombarded with a bunch of sidequests and losing interest. i feel like i was too dismissive with it.

you guys like it?

krissy
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
it was my fave game of 2011 :(

Jowy
08-22-2012, 10:29 PM
everyone says that! i feel like the biggest plebian alive for not being totally sucked in right off the bat.

krissy
08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
it might've been the atmosphere that did it for me though. have you ever played the original? i took a few months of a break after the first mission or two, so it's not like it grabbed me straight away either... but after you start hacking everything things start getting more exciting. there's various ways to complete most tasks which is why the game is so good.

although i gotta tell you right now, don't take the bosses at face value, some other studio did the boss fights and they are absolute crap. don't worry about looking up walkthroughs for those parts because whatever.

Jowy
08-22-2012, 10:43 PM
i've never played the original or invisible war. i did like the hacking aspect! that was fun as all hell. the augmentation system seems like it's got potential to be absurdly cheap too.

krissy
08-22-2012, 11:07 PM
the weird thing about the augmentation system for me was that i forgot about it after a certain point and had like 20 extra praxis kits at the end of the game. you can make the game a lot easier in some ways, or you can chose to go through without upgrades, but i always thought the inventory and the double takedown upgrades were crucial for the enjoyment of the game. some paths open up via smart upgrading... although you can definitely go too far and play the game cheaply too. also depends if you're doing a stealth run or a guns blazing run or something in between... wouldn't worry about any of it during your first play through though.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
see that's my other thing

i really disliked that i ran out of tranquilizer darts in like, ten minutes. i didn't wanna plug those small scale drone level terrorists at the beginning...just can't break the MGS mentality where I will get penalized in some way for everyone I kill.

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:37 AM
doing a non-lethal run is incredibly difficult, and i'm pretty sure there's an award/trophy for it. i did try to do it that way up to a point... and then i couldn't find the energy or the time required to sneak and take people out.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 12:42 AM
i figured i was getting the Mk22 and not a Mosin Nagant when I picked tranquilizer. If it's legitimately that hard, might as well abandon ship on that until I've played through at least once.

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:48 AM
non-lethal ko's do give more experience though...i usually did it based on situations. if i could do non-lethals all around without affecting my sanity and too much time, i'd go for it because it helps with getting the praxis packs in the end.

although near the end i realized i had 20 left over and decided that no, it is time to introduce everyone to lead sandwiches.

there's a stun gun somewhere, which is small enough to fit into most people's set ups and is pretty useful if you don't like killing. ammo for it is sparse, but i usually did hand to hand ko's if i could anyway.

i liked the fact that you only had so much ammo that you had to really strategize your way around a room in order to avoid being liberal with said ammo. although it did get frustrating sometimes.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 12:53 AM
yeah, when i was low on tranq darts i found myself knocking one guy out and then one-twoing the other patrolling guys when they walked over there. i like the inventory system too...was that the same in the other two games? I remember that being in RE4 and loving how I had to think about what to carry with me.

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:58 AM
i only played the demo of the original, but if i remember correctly it was like that too. my real introduction to this kind of inventory management was also re4 and i totes loved the feeling of really struggling to survive because of it. i should play that game again one day.

Jowy
08-23-2012, 01:04 AM
word...can get it on XBLA now for like $15

stop making me want to focus attention away from dark souls! i have to spend another two hours dying during my glorious escape from blighttown

Jiro
08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
I focused on using non lethal takedowns because you run out of fucking tranq so damn quick. The game takes on a real fun stealth side when you have to sneak around and kick people's asses without them noticing and then hacking shit and aw yeah. You do run out of useful upgrades real quick but the jumping enhancement is awesome. Nothing like jumping twice as high as a basketballer