PDA

View Full Version : Brainstorming thread!

Goldenboko
08-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Open mode guys! No ideas are bad ideas! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmY4-RMB0YY)

The competition asks for something "unlike anything we've done before".

Requirements
Unique
Last a week
Celebrate 25th Anniversary of FF

Commonly done events
Ciddies Userbase awards
Screenname Tournament
Karoke
Eyeson Plays
April Fools jokes
Census
Eyes On You
EoFF Elections

Ideas
FF Forum Wars
Custom Card Events
Quizzes
Drawing Contests
Random Battle Event
Kidnapping
Fantasy Blitzball
Triple Triad Tournament

Gonna sit around my apartment now in Open Mode til something comes to me.

Iceglow
08-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Well, considering it's gotta celebrate the 25th anniversary of FF games I would suggest a Triple Triad tournament since it's part of the forum and celebrates FF. Not only this but a General Final Fantasy pop quiz with different categories such as Riddles, guess the quote, caption this screen shot and so on so forth.

Goldenboko
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
I think Steve is definitely right and the event should be relating to Final Fantasy! Steve's idea of many small events has put an awesome picture of my head of letting people joining the team of their Favorite FF and letting them garner points for it with the ultimate goal of that Final Fantasy being crowned The Final Fantasy of the Forum.

krissy
08-22-2012, 11:54 PM
a kidnapping of some sort
that involves texting maybe
an alternate reality game

actually it'd be a good idea if we had a texting system where users could respond to random battles or something

'You encounter a goblin!
>Fight?
>Magic?
>Item?
>Run?'

and in order to beat the goblin they have to send a picture of something; sort of like an item finding competition. and say they only have 3 hours to respond with this defensive picture or whatever...

and then they send the text back and we calculate some sort of levelign system

although this sounds pretty complicated

i was also thinking of doing photoshops with other things that occured 25 years ago

2012 (http://www.networkworld.com/slideshow/27499)

robocop and barrett shooting things together, i dunno

ps i've just promoted goldenboko to sub-leader

Goldenboko
08-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Assistant to the regional leader? :)

That texting idea is super awesome. Sounds really complicated, and requires someone to give out a number, although internet to phone texting does exist.

I think dumb that down a little and we could totally do it. We could even incorporate that into the above event as a mini-event that would garner points.

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Sod texting people won't participate if they think theres a risk to their security or it may cost them something. Use mognet messaging instead. Or usernotes.

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:10 AM
yah steve's right i wouldn't give an eoff mod competition my cell number either haha

caption screenshot and triple triad tournament are great ideas
we could do all of it honestly, along with crowding a final fantasy as the best final fantasy (final fantasy adventure would win obviously)

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
I was thinking an invasion of Monster profiles or something. But that was a stupid idea anyways.

I don't think everyone is going to want to do a tourney.

My ideas:
Drawing contest
Final fantasy Festival with a different event each day such as said above
meetup?
mini mafia?

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 12:38 AM
For the Triple Triad tournament we could ask BoB if he can produce a card pack to be awarded to the winners of the 1st 2nd and 3rd place positions. To prevent these packs going in to other players hands he could set the gil cost ridiculously high and award the players who win the gil in the db. I believe thats possible.

Also we could look at arranging a fantasy blitzball league?

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Ick.

krissy
08-23-2012, 12:43 AM
there's a fantasy blitzball program out there

TheSphere - Fantasy Blitzball | Free Games software downloads at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/thesphere/)

but i'm not sure if it just helps you set it up or if it actually randomizes results too

either way i dunno enough about fantasy leagues to do this sort of thing but if anyone is passionate about it i give my blessing

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Also we could look at arranging a fantasy blitzball league?

I think this could be awesome, easy, and doable. Simply choose a team's defense, goalie, a few players for goals, and have the host play a game a night for a season. Whoever has the most goals, least goals given up, and most wins, wins!

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 01:01 AM
I also feel like Triple Triad is a great way to go - I'm sure Staff can easily make packs, why not instead of handing out premier packs, winners get a card modeled after them that they get for free and others can try to get! Have like a few different events with a EoFFer card as a prize!

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Basicallly imho the best thing about FF games aside from the game is the sheer number of mini-games they often contain (less so in later entries) but VII - X definitely contained lots :) Lets celebrate this!

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 02:35 AM
Just organized some of our ideas onto the first post. We should probably flesh some of them out more, but that's for a different thread, this is just for brainstorming!

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 03:05 AM
One way of doing an FF forums War would be to do a FF Mafia game. I'm not 100% sure how viable it would be to run a mini-mafia game over the space of a week featuring players named as characters of FF titles (main party members and villains only. Only exception is Biggs and Wedge they must be in it) Each FF game is a party/gang. Someone who has run a mafia game might be able to give us more info on this.

Hollycat
08-23-2012, 03:12 AM
Actually, this could be a good chance for me to bust out my mafia 2.0 Traverse Town game.

Madonna
08-23-2012, 03:26 AM
EoFF actual time capsule. We get people to send in things like used condoms and dirty laundry and we archive it for the children.
EoFF Time Capsule. We pretend we opened one and get the moderators to give a bunch of people old members' names and we pretend to be them. We can pretend not to know what the internet is!
KIRA game. Like Mafia, but with one killer and one legendary detective. Everyone, every single registered member might be playing, but only people who actively volunteered to play can be KIRA or L. It ends when we figure out who KIRA is and stop them.

I think we could do a Fantasy league for Blitzball or do a tournament for a children's card game. Oh, speaking of children's card game: we all used to be fairly young when we first joined this forum, yeah? Can we do something for the runts (13-18-year olds)? What works for young adults/teens?

G13
08-23-2012, 08:09 AM
I'm pulling a twelve hour shift at work tomorrow and a fifteen the following day, so I may be MIA until the weekend. I'll try to get on tomorrow night, but I apologize if I'm not here to contribute much until Saturday. Sorry guys.

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 10:27 AM
On a similar note, you're going to lose my active posting from Sat morning to Sun evening GMT time. I've got a date coming round for those 2 days. Sorry guys.

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 11:54 AM
well fuck, I'm without a laptop all weekend. Fuck it, I have a phone.

Jiro
08-23-2012, 02:04 PM
C'mon team, don't let inactivity be the death of you. I HAVE FAITH.

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 02:17 PM
I'll still have some access to computers, but I'll be unable to be my typical, once every 3 posts self. Still we got this. Will start a thread to pull our ideas together at lunch break.

Jiro
08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Make sure you don't get fired.

Goldenboko
08-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Pft, the girl coop who broke down and cried didn't get fired and anything I do can't be as bad as that.

Iceglow
08-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I reckon we have some solid ideas here we just need to co-ordinate them in to a feasible executable plan. Which will have to be something we can carry out even if for whatever reason we end up a member down or two. Because if my suspicions are right we'll have to execute this too which means between the 7 of us we've gotta organise, run and pull off the event we make. Sounds easy but can all go to tit if we lose a couple of people.

krissy
08-23-2012, 07:26 PM
thanks for all the ideas guys they are all very good

we should be ok even if we have to run the thing we decide on

nice one iceglow, 2 day date ;) do not worry about what's going on here on that thing, just enjoy

Madonna
08-24-2012, 03:20 AM
Right, I had some time to think about things, and I have come to only one reasonable conclusion: EoFF Gang Wars.

Wait, wait, waitttttt. Let me explain this. Have any of you guys been into #eoff? Have any of you guys played Dokal? Actually, looking at our team roster, scratch that.

Alright. Dokal is Roogle's chatroom-based RPG. He has an agenda in it, he has a world and a loose narrative set up in the background, and the game can be really summed up in gameplay as a series of fights if you want to be crass. But. It is awesome. What happens is that when a few people have free time, Roogle announces that there is going to be a game of Dokal. There are some regulars, and Roogle gives them some focus, but as long as there is room in the party, pretty much anyone can join. Just tell him you want to play too and odds are he will put you in. He gives you a job class, maybe tells you have a special ability, and then you are free to go romping with fire_of_avalon, Jiro, and whoever else. Your party navigates this imaginary, non-visual world with Roogle's narrations, descriptions, and choosing to go arbitrary directions (norther, east, south, down, uphill, et cetera), and you encounter groups of monsters and beat them up together. Combat is turn-based, with graded attributes and hit point/magic point/technique points, and you can sort of make up your own attacks. New and have no idea of what you are capable? Just shout out you are going to breathe fire or summon a lightning bolt; you very well could do it. Maybe you think you should be able to do a crazy sword slash; tell Roogle you are trying it, and it might happen. It makes for a lot of fun and surprising discoveries, and even while exploring you can suggest ideas like maybe burning a bush to see a path behind it, or something. Dokal is just a blast to play.

So, what I am trying to say is that we should try to adapt Dokal, or at least its battle system, to accommodate EoFF playing it as a community. The immediate and easiest way I see to do that is to turn it into squad-based versus combat, sort of like Final Fantasy Tactics. Instead of working for Clan Nutsy and wailing on Clan Borzoi, it is krissy and her accounts beating up Team Shortstuff or Team Codger. So we can form gangs or Clans if you will, add referees or Judges like Roogle to moderate skirmishes, and we can have a tournament for the twenty-fifth anniversary of Final Fantasy. And we can set it right here, no fancy Ivalice needed, and see who ends up the kings of Eyes on Final Fantasy.

Goldenboko
08-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Wow, what a crazy day yesterday was. Had to work a little over-time because my boss came around and helped me figure some stuff out, then after getting back, showering, packing, moving my car, handing a friend the keys to my apartment so my temporary roommate would be able to get back in while I'm gone for the weekend (he's out of town at the moment), half they way home I realize, tit I gave her the wrong keys in my tired state and start driving back to Boston. All eventually was well though.

Alright we have a lot of good ideas here, I'm going to make a few threads so we can either narrow some down, or flesh some out before we commit to anything. Better to have 3 or 4 good ideas that are doable and ready to go, then choose one, try and flesh it out, realize it won't work, and go back to step one. If anyone else wants to make a thread for an idea that I miss they should.