PDA

View Full Version : Adventurous Eats

Pike
08-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Earlier today my dad asked me if I wanted to try out a bison burger. I turned him down because I didn't particularly want to eat bison, even if it's just a bigger, shaggier version of a cow. I don't know, I guess I just prefer to play it safe with that sort of thing.

Are you guys adventurous eaters or do you play it safe like I do? :kakapo:

Shauna
08-24-2012, 01:50 AM
I go out to restaurants with an "I'll try something new!" kind of attitude. Then I read the menu, and am overcome with fear that I won't like what I order and that I'll waste all the money/food and OH GOD. I end up being terribly and ask for a burger usually. Sad times.

However, I did go to a Mongolian restaurant once, and quite happily tried some springbok and zebra. Actually very nice. If only I could apply that curiosity to all walks of food.

Agent Proto
08-24-2012, 01:51 AM
...You turned down Bison Burgers?!?

If it looks good, I won't turn down something exotic if I can handle it. If it doesn't look good and makes me feel sick, I'd stay away. So, it really depends on what I'm being offered.

Alpha2099
08-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Once in a while I get ballsy and I venture out of my comfort zone. But there has to be at least one thing in it that I'm familiar with. If I don't know any of the ingredients, I shy away from it.

Jiro
08-24-2012, 02:48 AM
NO. Didn't I tell you? You will never eat a burger better than a Bison Burger. PIKE. WHAT THE HELL.

I am initially hesitant to try new foods but generally I figure that I will die one day and so I better eat everything before that day. Same goes for doing things. First time for everything :monster:

Sephex
08-24-2012, 02:52 AM
I'll try almost anything at least once. That said, I am a picky eater and it's rare that I find something new I like. Though, as I age I seem to be getting better about that!

Bunny
08-24-2012, 02:56 AM
I will try most things at least once, though not anything.

fire_of_avalon
08-24-2012, 03:06 AM
Like Bunny and several others, I will try a lot of things one time. Unless it's full of onions or mushrooms. But hell, every once in a while I'll try something with mushrooms just to see if I still hate them (I do.)

If I avoided new foods I would never have had this BANGIN sweet potato burrito today. And y'aaaaaaaaaaall, oo lordy.

Raistlin
08-24-2012, 03:10 AM
I will try pretty much anything once. I tend to be a little more cautious at restaurants when I'm spending more money, but even then I'll order something based off of recommendations.

Mercen-X
08-24-2012, 04:40 AM
My mom scowled at me when I picked it up, but we brought home a tub of hummus anyway. It's pretty good.
She picked up a jar of Ruffles Ultimate brand dip flavored with bacon. It's freakin' disgusting. I'll eat it anyway because I'm its only hope.

I will try pretty much anything onceTruth. I have to actually try something a second time before deciding ultimately that I don't like it.

Tigmafuzz
08-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Same as most people who have posted already, I'll try pretty much anything. I especially love spicy food. I ate most of a Four Horseman Burger once. It was fun until I almost DIED.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I want you to justify your use of the term "playing it safe" in the context of your post, Pike. xD

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2012, 03:08 PM
A Filipino friend once offered me balut. I said no :barf:

Agent Proto
08-24-2012, 03:14 PM

See Pike, this is a fine example of when to turn down eating something new. I had balut once and let me tell you, it's not very pleasant. I still can't believe you would turn down bison burgers.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-24-2012, 03:59 PM

See Pike, this is a fine example of when to turn down eating something new. I had balut once and let me tell you, it's not very pleasant. I still can't believe you would turn down bison burgers.

Is balut that "delicacy" of a soft boiled duck egg with a half formed phetus inside of it? Because, sweet jebus. :stare:

That being said, I'd probably still try it. I just wouldn't have high hopes. I like being very adventurous with food. I made a dry rub for ribs that used expresso grounds, and some cocao. It turned out great, and I felt like a genius.

Then I learned that I didn't do anything special. :monster:

Iceglow
08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I will fearlessly try almost anything. I even discovered that I like the taste of scorpion and the taste of african giant ants this way. I figure that when I'm old, grey (well more grey than now Paul) and look back over my life and the things I have done I don't want there to be many things I regret. Or if I regret doing them at least I can say "Well I damn well tried it at least! Better than most could say"

Faris
08-24-2012, 04:42 PM
I'll try most food-things at least once.

Agent Proto
08-24-2012, 04:45 PM

Is balut that "delicacy" of a soft boiled duck egg with a half formed phetus inside of it? Because, sweet jebus. :stare:

That's the one.

Quindiana Jones
08-24-2012, 07:02 PM
I will fearlessly try almost anything.

milliegoesbeep
08-24-2012, 07:34 PM
I'm a vegetarian and lactose intolerant so being adventurous is kind of out of the question. I like to play things safe with anything I eat though, but that's more to do with being an incredibly fussy eater despite my already limited palette :D

Mercen-X
08-25-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm also lactose intolerant, as well as gluten intolerant, and possibly peanut intolerant. Individually, such ingredients give me mild reactions. Combined, I'm sick all night.

I'll still try anything once (usually, I neglect to check first if there is lactose or gluten whereas I assume most things don't have peanut).

Shlup
08-25-2012, 01:27 AM
I can't really think of anything I've turned down. Smell is an important part of eating, so I'll at least smell it first.

Bison is okay. Reindeer is better.

fire_of_avalon
08-25-2012, 01:39 AM
Reindeer?! Does it taste anything like reg'la deer? Which is DELICIOUS, btdubs.

I dunno if I would eat balut. Like Shlup, the smell of something is important to my ability to eat it. I hate the smell of mustard based potato salads. And coleslaw. And both foods make me gag something fierce.

Oddly enough I hate mango but enjoy the smell.

Laddy
08-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Oddly enough I hate mango but enjoy the smell.
Hate Mango?

Weirdo. :p

Shlup
08-25-2012, 03:19 AM
I feel that way about coffee. Mango does smell better than it tastes though.

Reindeer?! Does it taste anything like reg'la deer? Which is DELICIOUS, btdubs.
I've only had regular deer in jerky form.

Iceglow
08-25-2012, 10:42 AM
I went food shopping with my housemate today and we walked through the wild-game meat section and I was just like "I want so much of this meat!"

Psychotic
08-25-2012, 11:08 AM
I want to eat all of the animals. ALL OF THEM.

Christmas
08-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Everything will turn out the same when they get into my mouth so I dun care. :bigsmile:

Shorty
08-25-2012, 05:16 PM
If I'm at a restaurant, most of the time no, I am not adventurous. I find one thing I like and stick with it unless someone pressures me to try something else that they like.

Once in a while, though, I go crazy and just pick ANYTHING. I call them Wild Card Tuesdays, and they happen about once every three months.

Parker
08-26-2012, 12:00 AM
i used to be extremely picky....now i will try anything. y0l0, you know?

Peegee
08-26-2012, 12:25 AM
Aren't you a veggie?

Anyway I will eat any food at least once. So I know for sure I hate Brussel Sprouts

~*~Celes~*~
08-26-2012, 04:01 AM
i only try new things if someone i trust says it's good and that I'll like it :p

Bunny
08-26-2012, 04:26 AM
For the people that said they would try anything once/almost anything once:

Head on over to Colorado, I'll buy you some rocky mountain oysters.

Raistlin
08-26-2012, 05:17 AM
I was told they had those at Coors Field the last time I was in Denver. I passed on them.

Jiro
08-26-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm a vegetarian and lactose intolerant so being adventurous is kind of out of the question. I like to play things safe with anything I eat though, but that's more to do with being an incredibly fussy eater despite my already limited palette :D
I still wonder how you can actually eat anything xD

Loony BoB
08-26-2012, 11:47 AM
I like to try things. But there are some things I don't intend on trying - like snails. Ew. But oh man, have you tried ostrich burgers? Because they are awesome.

I Took the Red Pill
08-26-2012, 01:30 PM
I will try most new things once. Twice if I like it.

Since being in China I've had some interesting dishes including chicken hearts, chicken feet, pig feet, and beef tongues. All of the aforementioned were quite delicious except for the chicken feet. I was at a restaurant in Beijing that served Ox penis as a delicacy. :wacky:

Jinx
08-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters, ha.

I'd try most things, once.

Pike
08-28-2012, 01:46 AM
When I was in college and in documentary class these kids made their documentary on taking this poor exchange student from the Czech Republic to eat Rocky Mountain Oysters.

I will never forget the horror on his face as he said to the camera "My parents sent me to school in America... to eat... these?"

Criminally Vulgar
08-28-2012, 11:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp1nrhJAX3I

it's me

edit: wtf i can't embed this tit

smittenkitten
08-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm the pickiest eater ever and not very adventurous, I don't eat red meat so no beef, pork or ham for me. I hate tomatoes, aubergine and mushrooms, especially mushrooms who in their right mind would eat them... It's a fungus! :p

Mercen-X
08-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I eat mushrooms raw! But I hate them sautéed, :barf:

Madame Adequate
08-28-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm pretty open in principle to eating all kinds of new stuff, but in practice when I sit down and see "Oh hey they have a giant-ass cheeseburger on the menu", well, any desire to try anything else goes out the window. I just want to be an American :(

e; Mushrooms are amazing how high ARE you right now Danielle?

Mercen-X
08-28-2012, 09:36 PM
There's no harm in that. I usually try something familiar first in a restaurant I haven't been in so I can check if their version is worthy. Sadly, if it's not up to snuff, I lose all hope that anything else on the menu would be worth ordering. "How can you get something so common so wrong?"

Jiro
08-29-2012, 01:47 AM
I'm pretty open in principle to eating all kinds of new stuff, but in practice when I sit down and see "Oh hey they have a giant-ass cheeseburger on the menu", well, any desire to try anything else goes out the window. I just want to be an American :(

e; Mushrooms are amazing how high ARE you right now Danielle?

Actually I am the same generally. I eat within my comfort zone when I got out. Burgers are the easiest, then pasta.

Mercen-X
09-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Aren't you a veggie?

Anyway I will eat any food at least once. So I know for sure I hate Brussel Sprouts

I've had Brussel Sprouts. Eh, they were okay. Nothing to complain about.

Anybody here like quiche? I don't like quiche. I like mini-quiches. I wonder why it it tastes so different...

Jiro
09-06-2012, 12:43 AM
mini quiches are awesome