PDA

View Full Version : Anime's that are awesome.

Rianoa
08-24-2012, 10:56 PM
I feel as if I am quickly running out of anime to watch which saddens me, this is all thanks to summer taking away everything fun with the dry spell of TV and games. Because I should be out in the sun according to them.. pfft.

The link is a list of all the anime's I have seen or want to see or have dropped because I just didn't like it or it was awful.

Rianoa's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Rianoa)

Are there any anime watchers on Eoff? and if you are a fellow watcher what made you start watching anime? and what anime's do you recommend and why :p

milliegoesbeep
08-24-2012, 11:04 PM
I've watched a ton of anime, even my two pet cats are called Naruto (ginger tabby with three lines either side of his face) and Gaara (sand tabby). Naruto and Bleach are my favourites, though Soul Eater and K-ON! are pretty damn awesome too.

I've also enjoyed Ouran, Pita Ten and Final Fantasy Unlimited (which is rather entertaining though a little repetitive) so you could always give them a shot.

charliepanayi
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
No Cowboy Bebop? Watch Cowboy Bebop. One of the most brilliant shows ever, let one of the best anime. I'd also suggest The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, as it's rather sweet and dazzling at times.

Here's my rather meagre anime list and my (more extensive) manga list:

charliepanayi's Anime List - MyAnimeList.net (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/charliepanayi)
charliepanayi's Manga List - MyAnimeList.net (http://myanimelist.net/mangalist/charliepanayi)

Raistlin
08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
I have not watched a ton of anime, but my first thoughts after glancing over your list that there was a suspicious lack of Cowboy Bebop and Fullmetal Alchemist. I also enjoyed Death Note. And Bleach is another popular one, though I haven't actually watched it.

Sephex
08-24-2012, 11:20 PM
I haven't watched a ton of anime, but I have seen a good amount of it. Recently, I finished watching Code Geass and really enjoyed it immensely.

Alpha2099
08-24-2012, 11:41 PM
I have a couple suggestions for your list:

Shinryaku! Ika Musume -- hilarious show.
Seitokai no Ichizon -- also very light-hearted.
Seitokai Yakuindomo -- funny by means of cashing in on adult humor.

Shauna
08-24-2012, 11:55 PM
I have watched too much anime. :3 But, I thoroughly enjoy the medium - I get exposed to a lot of stuff. My flatmate enjoys the obscure artsy stuff, while Matt enjoys the comedy side of anime more. So, I get to see a weird bunch of stuff. xD

I avoid Bleach, Naruto, One Piece like a plague though. They're not that great, and the only reason they're so popular is because they're stupidly long and are "household name" anime. They've been around so long that everyone's heard of them. *not judgemental at all*

Hollycat
08-25-2012, 12:17 AM
Blood+ is my favorite
FullMetal Alchemist and Brotherhood
Gunxsword

krissy
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
polar bear cafe

NeoCracker
08-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Yeah, Cowbow Bebop is easily my favorite anime, and it's an atrocity you have yet to watch it. :colbert:

Also Monster and Paranoia Agent.

Agent Proto
08-25-2012, 12:27 AM
I haven't seen a lot of anime, but from your list, I don't see Azumanga Daioh, or Excel Saga listed.

NeoCracker
08-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Those two should definately come after Cowboy Bebop.

krissy
08-25-2012, 12:32 AM
how about FLCL?

how about Great Teacher Onizuka?

i gotta tell you thought
after you finish gurren lagann and bebop you may as well not watch any more anime cause i mean that's it
you just watched pretty much all there is to see

NeoCracker
08-25-2012, 12:39 AM
FLCL can go fuck itself.

I may be one of the only anime fans in the world who fucking hates that show though. :p

Hollycat
08-25-2012, 12:40 AM
FLCL can go smurf itself.

I may be one of the only anime fans in the world who smurfing hates that show though. :p

I don't really hate it, I just really really really really really really really really dislike it.

Mercen-X
08-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I f-ing despise Naota. I love Haruko (especially half-naked), I like Mamimi and her constant "Takkun" outcries, and I of course love Canti for being a robot with a tv for a head. I hate Naota though. I especially hate it when he says "Nothing great ever happens here." As Rattrap from Beast Wars would say, "Grinds my gears!"

I mean, I guess I kind of understand the concept. The idea that no matter what a KID may wish for, if those fantastic dreams come true, he still won't be happy. Why? Because he's just a dumb kid and doesn't even really know what he wants yet.
But analogies aside, there were some things about the series which caught my eye more than others and I wished they had been expanded on more, but I think Gurren Lagann covered that pretty well.

Shauna
08-25-2012, 01:18 AM
Ick, Fooly Cooly. :p Seems you've found yourself amongst friends, Mr Big Hands.

NeoCracker
08-25-2012, 01:49 AM
YAY! :jess:

krissy
08-25-2012, 02:55 AM
:cry:

Jowy
08-25-2012, 06:08 AM
PLEBIAN ALERT BELOW

I like Trigun, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, FLCL, MOTHER FUCKING HELLSING WATCH IT NOW, and I watched like four episodes of Haruhi-whatever and that was pretty neat.

i really love the cell story arc of DBZ too, smurfin' trunks, man!

PLEBIAN ALERT ABOVE

Sephex
08-25-2012, 06:22 AM
There is nothing to be ashamed about concerning liking the Cell arc in DBZ. Anyone who takes DBZ too seriously takes DBZ too seriously. Yes, that makes perfect sense.

Jowy
08-25-2012, 06:54 AM
I couldn't really get into the whole Fun with Frieza arc...based Piccolo though, damn what a boss.

Freya
08-25-2012, 06:59 AM
Soul Eater has been the most recent one I've watched but I typically like action ones and ones that make you think a bit more. I like the ones where the bad guy is questionable. He's not like the black in the black and white, he's gray. Evangelion is one of my all time favs. Go for Full Metal Alchemist and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.Those are pretty great ones. They start off the same but brotherhood is based off the manga and the first was finished before the manga ended so they are a bit different. Surprised you don't have that listed.

Soul Eater isn't bad. It's pretty fun too. I have yet to finish it.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-25-2012, 07:24 AM
My dad owns all of Tenchi muyo!, Tenchi Universe, Tenchi Myuo Ryo-ohki, all of the tenchi movies, as well as some of the Gundum wing ones. I personally Love the Tenchi Series.

I also loved Trigun, Outlaw Star. and yes DB and DBZ.

Im also about to start watching Initial D. I have the live action movie and I have played the arcade game. But never got a chance to watch the anime or read the mangas.

Shauna
08-25-2012, 01:15 PM
I guess I should mention anime I have enjoyed in my time. AzuDai, Excel Saga, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, DB are all pretty cool. But the crowing series of amaze is Sailor Moon. Obviously. Moyashimon is pretty cool (been falling behind on those releases :( ), and I've been watching Fate/Zero recently which is infinitely better than Fate/Stay Night ever was. Uh... Shiki is a pretty heavy going anime that turned out to be awesome. I could go on forever. :(

But. Gonna be an anime fan heathen here.

I didn't find Evangelion anything to write home about. At all. :| Far too slow, with too much nothing happening to go along with it. I have watched plenty of slow paced anime, but it needs to give me something to keep me interested... Just couldn't feel it with this. Genuinely surprised I managed to get through the whole series. I have also tried watching the newer films - still felt like a whole bunch of nothing happened and this was it condensed down? It frustrates me how much I cannot bring myself to enjoy anything about this particular series. Ah well.

The OP for the Eva series is damn catchy though, always enjoyed listening to it.

escobert
08-25-2012, 02:03 PM
My list is pretty short ;p

I liked:
Gundam Wing
.Hack//sign
Outlaw Star
InuYasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho
Tenchi muyo!
and Bleach isn't too bad.

Hollycat
08-25-2012, 03:34 PM
If you like DB or DBZ, you will absolutely adore TFS dbz abridged parody

Mercen-X
08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I more typically watch less and less comedies, dramas, and "5-min stories with a point to make."

Typically, my anime has action. Usually that action centers around shonen. I haven't ever watched Berserk. I've watched the entirety of Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. I own the first volume of Mouse (I don't know if there's supposed to be more). I own the complete collection of GetBackers (anime... it upset me to learn how much further the manga went and I can't get my hands on it)! I watched the entirety of Trigun (anime... I've been reading Trigun Maximum manga whenever I can get my hands on a new volume).

I've watched some of Greatest Disciple, I've seen Dragonaut all-through, Aquarion... yeah, generally when I think of action it pertains to fighting (a lot of fighting) and usually there'll be at least one robot, I don't care if it's a giant.

Freya
08-26-2012, 04:04 AM
Inuyasha is the best :love:

krissy
08-26-2012, 04:06 AM
i couldn't get into evangelion at all either shauna it's not just you

Hollycat
08-26-2012, 04:57 AM
Inuyasha is the best :love:

Why do you say that?

Have you ever watched even 2 seconds of Blood+?

krissy
08-26-2012, 05:04 AM
hypo i love blood+ for a variety of nerdy reasons

however have you seen the original movie? not the live action, let's pretend that never happened. the blood: the last vampire movie from the 90's? it's probably my favorite anime film of all time, allll time.

Hollycat
08-26-2012, 05:38 AM
hypo i love blood+ for a variety of nerdy reasons

however have you seen the original movie? not the live action, let's pretend that never happened. the blood: the last vampire movie from the 90's? it's probably my favorite anime film of all time, allll time.

If you had a vagina I would kiss you.

Freya
08-26-2012, 05:44 AM
blood+ sucks cause it's so different from Blood the last vampire. They completely butchered the original story. Should have just called it something else with different names. Inuyasha's cute and full of action! :D

Hollycat
08-26-2012, 06:05 AM
blood+ sucks cause it's so different from Blood the last vampire. They completely butchered the original story. Should have just called it something else with different names. Inuyasha's cute and full of action! :D

Inuyasha is the Pedantic ramblings of a mind incapable of true character developement and its nonsensical jumblings have hindered society as a whole.

Mercen-X
08-26-2012, 06:17 AM
I like Kouga, but I prefer human Inuyasha. I hate Kagome and Kikyo. There was a little girl who was the kid sister of the thunder and cloud brothers and she ends up having a crush on Shippo and drew a pic of him looking all shonen. I wrote a fanfic about Shippo being trapped in the future with his future self and she was his girlfriend. It wasn't great. I don't like writing fanfiction.

Freya
08-26-2012, 06:18 AM
IT'S CUTE AND ACTIONY.
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs50/f/2009/269/f/5/Inuyasha_by_Raf92.gif

I used to write fanfictions for inuyasha way back when. Before I joined EoFF. I can't remember my old usernames I went by cause i have the memory of a goldfish but I so wrote fanfics for inuyasha too XD They were probably bad. I also hate kagome and kikyo too. I love Miroku, Koga and well Inuyasha. :D

G13
08-26-2012, 07:21 AM
All I have to say about Inu Yasha is WENCH!

I don't watch much anime. I've caught an episode or two from a lot of different shows, but there have only been a few that I enjoyed enough to watch all of. I've seen most of Inu Yasha, (okay, I guess I have more to say about Inu Yasha) but I don't really consider it to be a very good show. It's primarily filler and it's repetitive filler at that.

Noein was really interesting but every time I start it I can never finish seem to finish it. I get a little further each time though, so that's a good sign.

The Vision of Escaflowne is probably one of my favorite anime but I couldn't really begin to describe why. I don't really know why. It's like the Twilight of anime, the main character is conflicted between love interests throughout almost the entire series (which is only like 25 episodes, but still!) and the one she's supposed to be with is so painfully obvious... ugh, she's just an idiot. They story behind all that crap is really interesting though.

If you ever get the chance I suggest you watch Guin Saga. Probably the fastest I've ever seen a good concept turn to crap in my life, but it's hilarious watching it go.

Lastly, I love anything Miyazaki does. There's always an interesting story and the animation is beautiful.

Quindiana Jones
08-26-2012, 09:40 AM
I started watching anime last December. Obviously started with Naruto; love it, but the Fourth Shinobi War arc is taking the piss. I'm now on Bleach, which I also love, though it suffers from Narutoitis at times. When it's good it's brilliant, when it's bad it's annoying. I know that Avatar: the Last Airbender isn't Japanese, but it's an American take on anime and it's genuinely one of the best TV shows ever made. Definitely in my top 20, at the very least. I intend to watch Legend of Korra once I'm done with Bleach. I have also been recommended Full Metal Alchemist, so I'll be getting on with that soon enough.

So...big question... subbed or dubbed, guys? :D

Freya
08-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Dude eric you have not seen most of inuyasha you saw like 30 episodes. There are 167 and 4 movies. :D

Mirage
08-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Why is there no Trigun on your list?

-edit-
No Scrapped princess either. Not even Ghost in the shell.

gurl u gotta step up ur game

Pike
08-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Azumanga Daioh

Tigmafuzz
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
and in alphabetical order :bigsmile:

Movies I've seen
5 Centimeters Per Second
Akira
Appleseed (amazing CG quality)
Blood: The Last Vampire
Castle in the Sky
Cencoroll
Children Who Chase Stars / Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Code Geass: Nunnally in Wonderland OVA
Escaflowne: The Movie
Final Fantasy Advent Children (didn't really like it)
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works (just now getting into the series)
Fist of the North Star
Gauche the Cellist
Ghost in the Shell (and the remake)
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. - The Laughing man (basically sums up the first season of the tv series)
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. – Individual Eleven (does the same thing)
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. – Solid State Society (epilogue to the series)
- also all the Lupin movies and all the Evangelion movies and remakes; I'm too lazy to break them down like I did with the GitS movies
Grave of the Fireflies
Howl's Moving Castle
I Can Hear the Sea / Ocean Waves
Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (a bit depressing, but you'll love it)
Kakurenbo: Hide & Seek
Kiki's Delivery Service
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Memories (Magnetic Rose, Stink Bomb, & Cannon Fodder)
Metropolis
Millenium Actress
My Neighbor Totoro
My Neighbors the Yamadas
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Only Yesterday
Origin: Spirits of the past
Paprika
Perfect Blue (aww yeah)
Pom Poko
Ponyo
Porco Rosso
Princess Mononoke
Redline
Roujin Z
Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise
Spirited Away
Steamboy
Summer Wars
Sword of the Stranger
Tales from Earthsea
Tekkon Kinkreet (lolwut)
The Cat Returns
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
The Secret World of Arietty
Tokyo Godfathers
Vexille
Voices of a Distant Star (holy crap, it's even more depressing than Jin-Roh)
Whisper of the Heart
Wonderful Days / Sky Blue

Series I've seen
Æon Flux
Afro Samurai (it totally counts)
Azumanga Daioh
Blood+
Cardcaptor Sakura
Case Closed / Detective Conan
Code Geass
Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Digimon (yes it's anime)
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Durararararararararara
Ef - A Tale of Melodies
Ef - A Tale of Memories
Elfen Lied
Escaflowne
Excel Saga
FLCL
Fullmetal Alchemist
FMA: Brotherhood
Galaxy Express Three-Nine
Genshiken
Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C.
Gintama
Great Teacher Onizuka
Gundam (all of them)
.Hack//sign (and Roots and Quantum and the Twilight Bracelet; I haven't finished Liminality yet because I haven't opened the factory packaging yet on the last two games and I don't want to :()
Hayate the Combat Butler
High School of the Dead
Initial D
Inuyasha
K-On!
Lucky Star
Magical Pokan
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Outlaw Star
Paranoia Agent
Queen's Blade (hilarious)
Rozen Maiden
Rurouni Kenshin
Sailor Moon
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Soul Eater
Tenchi Muyo and Tenchi Universe
Trigun
Yu Yu Hakusho
Yu-Gi-Oh (the first series was cool for a while)

I'm probably forgetting A WHOLE LOT of them (I find it weird that I don't have any series starting with the letter M on that list), but I can't check my fileserver right now so that list will have to do. I also have a small list of suggested anime that I haven't seen yet, but I've probably already crossed off most of that list. Plus Sarah has a few she wants me to download for us to watch together, like Polyphonica, Tales of Symphonia, and Golgo 13 (smurf yeah Golgo 13 is an anime :jess:).

As Quin mentioned, Avatar is pretty good as well. You could throw in Samurai Jack along with it :D

>not learning Japanese to watch anime properly

...Although watching Shin Chan without subtitles is a bit difficult to follow.

EDIT: forgot some obscure ones: S-Cry-Ed and Zatch Bell

EDIT2: Who remembers Zoids!?!?

http://i.imgur.com/LlGXt.jpg

Agent Proto
08-26-2012, 04:32 PM
I noticed no one has listed the following, but that's okay because I'll list them. (It's incredibly tiny, like three.)

1. Midori Days
2. Sakura Diaries
3. Comic Party

Well, that's that!

JKTrix
08-26-2012, 05:22 PM
I like anime. I totally forgot about 'myanimelist'. I remember trying to add everything I ever watched to it, but it became too tedious and about 3 years ago I just decided to add more notable things. And then I haven't logged on to it at all since last year. There are probably things I'd add to it now, but meh.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/JKTrix&show=0&order=4
(ordered by my old ratings)

While there are things I would probably change about those rankings today, I'd say things I rank 9 or higher are things I would generally recommend to most people who don't have a short attention span. I don't think I'll bother downvoting what most other people have said here, but you'll notice a distinct lack of shows like Inuyasha and Naruto and Bleach (despite how many episodes I watched of that) on there. I respect them from a distance but have no interest getting into them. I prefer things that are designed to have an ending rather than something that goes on for years. I do enjoy some dumb stuff too--just not if it goes on forever.

My favourite kinds of shows generally involve science fiction and giant robots. Don't be afraid to dig into shows from before you were born as well. If I had to pick one series to pick as my absolute favourite, it would be Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Tigmafuzz
08-26-2012, 05:57 PM
2. Sakura Diaries

I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING. :cry:

TrollHunter
08-26-2012, 10:39 PM
I've only liked a few anime that I've watched. I give most shows like 4-5 episodes before I call judgement on them.
these are a few I like
Cowboy Bebop
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (The original was a waste of my time sadly)
I'm sure there are others I enjoyed... meh, brain fart. Can't remember.

I started watching anime last December. Obviously started with Naruto; love it, but the Fourth Shinobi War arc is taking the piss. I'm now on Bleach, which I also love, though it suffers from Narutoitis at times. When it's good it's brilliant, when it's bad it's annoying. I know that Avatar: the Last Airbender isn't Japanese, but it's an American take on anime and it's genuinely one of the best TV shows ever made. Definitely in my top 20, at the very least. I intend to watch Legend of Korra once I'm done with Bleach. I have also been recommended Full Metal Alchemist, so I'll be getting on with that soon enough.

The original FMA is a waste of your time, it follows the manga for a while, then it goes on its own tangent filled with anti-climaxes, plotholes, and a crappy, confusing unsatisfying ending.
FMA brotherhood I SERIOUSLY recommend, seeing as it's one of my favorites tv shows (animated, or not) I've ever watched. It's just... god it does everything right.
The english dub of FMAB is surprisingly fantastic, aside from Alphonse (You'll get used to his voice though) and all the voices fit the characters beautifully.
I only go for Subs in foreign martial arts movies or anime I'm forced to watch that has godawful dubbing.
In anime I avoid japanese voices as much as possible because in anime... they make my ears bleed, though if the VA's are tolerable, I go for that.

EDIT 2: also, Inyuyasha sucks, i watched it ALL and I still stand by that. It was a crapton of filler, the characters were annoying, a lot of the premises in episodes were cheesy and poorly executed, and the ending WAS SMURFING TERRIBLE. It had a few good episodes... but I would never recommend it to anyone.

Freya
08-26-2012, 10:52 PM
We can't be friends anymore trollhunter.

TrollHunter
08-26-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm terribly sorry, but what I said had to be said.

Quindiana Jones
08-27-2012, 12:52 AM
See, I prefer subbed, myself. Made the transition when Naruto ran out of dubbed episodes, and I've not regretted it. The only anime I've seen that has better all-round dubbing is Death Note. Everyone is at least on a par with the original VAs, and L is infinitely superior. :D

Appreciate the warning about FMA. I won't heed it, because I'm even more curious now, but still... cheers.

NeoCracker
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Cowboy Bebop has what is nothing short of an amazing Dub. :colbert:

Tigmafuzz
08-27-2012, 02:35 AM
See, I prefer subbed, myself.

You smurfing better. :colbert:

Appreciate the warning about FMA. I won't heed it, because I'm even more curious now, but still... cheers.

If you haven't read the manga, you'll enjoy most of FMA. It's still pretty damn good despite being all over the place. The last ten or so episodes are where it gets really crappy, and the ending will make you somewhat angry, but it's still worth seeing. If you do read the manga, or if you watch Brotherhood first, then there's really no need to see it at all, because you'll just be frustrated the whole time. I recommend FMA → manga → Brotherhood for maximum overall enjoyment while still experiencing all there is to offer.

Mirage
08-27-2012, 02:44 AM
I prefer subbed, but it's irrelevant if it's anime or not. I watch french movies in french too, english movies in english, german movies in german, etc. Japanese movies and series are no exception.

I also watched the first FMA series and I found it rather pleasurable. I haven't read the comic.

krissy
08-27-2012, 03:20 AM
slam dunk's pretty funny watching it now with my lil bro

Hollycat
08-27-2012, 03:40 AM
Good animes that include boobs, but would be better if they didn't
Shuffle: especially this one
Girls Bravo- so much hilarity
demon king diamyo- awesome

krissy
08-27-2012, 03:43 AM
wow yeah boobs in anime can we talk about this?

i cannot stand the fan service. like i will stop watching an anime if i see fan service that isn't relevant to the story.

especially when it's on like teens and high schoolers and stuff. or if it's giant boobs and a face with giant eyes, which to me imply youth. i mean come onnn... it just makes me sigh and i cannot continue.

like the beach episodes in gun x sword and gurren lagann. rolling my eyes at this.

Hollycat
08-27-2012, 03:45 AM

i cannot stand the fan service. like i will stop watching an anime if i see fan service that isn't relevant to the story.

especially when it's on like teens and high schoolers and stuff. or if it's giant boobs and a face with giant eyes, which to me imply youth. i mean come onnn... it just makes me sigh and i cannot continue.

like the beach episodes in gun x sword and gurren lagann. rolling my eyes at this.

There is not one thing in this post i disagree with. Except I usually watch the anime through to the end regardless, but I always feel like they ruined it. The exception in Queens Blade. I made it about 4 minutes in, the lady shot acid out of her breasts, and I was done with that show.

Another great anime that would be better without boobs, although they are pretty funny in this case is Sacred Blacksmith

G13
08-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Dude eric you have not seen most of inuyasha you saw like 30 episodes. There are 167 and 4 movies. :D

I think you're thinking of when we watched it together. I've seen almost all of the show and three of the movies. The friend that turned me onto the show told me a few years ago that it was finally being resolved but I'd already lost interest by that point.

Kagome loves Inu Yasha and Inu Yasha loves Kagome but Inu Yasha wants to be a full demon and oh boy look there's yet another jewel shard embedded in a demon's ass let's go get it whoops looks like Naraku stole our shards again but it's okay we got them back oh look more glowing demon jewel shard ass freaking kill me now.

Freya
08-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Well then you lied to me when we watched ti cause you told me you had never seen the show before. Unless you watched it after we watched it together!

Quindiana Jones
08-27-2012, 07:50 AM
I prefer subbed, but it's irrelevant if it's anime or not. I watch french movies in french too, english movies in english, german movies in german, etc. Japanese movies and series are no exception.

Exactly the same for me.

Jiro
08-27-2012, 08:03 AM
how about FLCL?

how about Great Teacher Onizuka?

yeah man I dunno how these were even missed. People hating on FLCL make me sadface, it was fucking awesome.

Samurai Champloo is fucking boss too. So is Afro Samurai. I love Death Note too but w/e. Heard good things about Suzumiya Haruhi, and Full Metal Alchemist but not watched them yet myself.

fuck I dunno just watch everything mentioned. What was that anime I watched that was weird. Akkikan? Something like that. Weird soda girls fighting juice girls with random sexual undertones. So odd.

Tigmafuzz
08-27-2012, 11:25 AM
The exception in Queens Blade. I made it about 4 minutes in, the lady shot acid out of her breasts, and I was done with that show.

Are you kidding me? Queen's Blade is totally fucking hilarious and is an awesome anime. You can't let a little something like boobs ruin it for you.

Remo as
08-28-2012, 04:32 AM
Hello Guys1
No doubt,The Simpsons is one of the best anime show. It's also a comedy show. I watch it Online when i have a time. This show have 23 season and 508 episodes. I watch not all of that season but last three season I never miss it.........

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/2700000/the-simpsons-emo-the-simpsons-2777449-600-759.jpg

Hollycat
08-28-2012, 04:34 AM
Dear god, just when you think they are becoming intellegent, one says the Simpsons is an anime. That post gave me AIDS

G13
08-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Well then you lied to me when we watched ti cause you told me you had never seen the show before. Unless you watched it after we watched it together!

What are you on, woman!? I told you I'd watched it before! Are you calling me a liar!? :argh:

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Dear god, just when you think they are becoming intellegent, one says the Simpsons is an anime. That post gave me AIDS

It's clear that Skynet's taken a dive recently.

Tigmafuzz
08-28-2012, 12:36 PM

You can't blame the poor bot for being confused. I mean, The Simpsons is animated. They aren't capable of making such differentiations yet. Next time it will know better. At least this time it didn't start a threa- oh, it did start a thread. Dammit, Pike. Control your children.

Criminally Vulgar
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM

Not knowing the arbitrary definitions of cartoon types is maybe slightly less dumb than spelling 'intelligent' wrong when accusing somebody of being dumb.

Hollycat
08-28-2012, 02:11 PM

Not knowing the arbitrary definitions of cartoon types is maybe slightly less dumb than spelling 'intelligent' wrong when accusing somebody of being dumb.
Don't use your brain against me. I suffer from congenital stupidity.

Mercen-X
08-28-2012, 04:51 PM
That's hot.

Tigmafuzz
08-29-2012, 01:56 AM
"He hit me in the face with his prehensile retardation. I didn't have time to respond with my retractable breakdancing or my heavy imagination."

Shorty
08-29-2012, 04:59 AM
Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Full-Metal Alchemist, Hellsing, Rurouni Kenshin, Samurai Champloo, Trigun, Witch Hunter Robin.

I like Inuyasha because it was the very first I ever saw, but the story kinda sucks and it's kinda terrible. I miss when Adult Swim had the good anime on late at night. I have no idea what they play anymore.

I just downloaded Kenshin the other day to bring back some nostalgia aaand I think I'll move on to Hellsing from there. It's been a long time since I've been on an anime kick.

Tigmafuzz
08-29-2012, 03:06 PM
Just saw four episodes of Golgo 13. Goddamn I love it. He's just as badass as in the manga.

Mercen-X
11-30-2012, 05:01 AM
Spoof
Training Wheels (http://tw.snafu-comics.com/?comic_id=17)

krissy
11-30-2012, 07:16 AM
is anyone watching sword art online
i liked season 1 but season 2 so far is pretty ridiculous with cliches i don't really like in anime

Shauna
11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I saw the first ep, seemed alright. Apparently Accel World is a better version of SAO - same mangaka just written years after.

Ouch!
12-01-2012, 07:01 AM
I never thought that the original anime run of FMA was anywhere near as bad as TrollHunter makes it out to be, but the manga (and consequently Brotherhood) is an improvement in almost every single way conceivable. The only exception I might make is that the first fourteen episodes or so of FMAB are somewhat rushed. This is a consequence of it being pretty much the same material covered in the first 25 episodes of FMA before it diverged into its own thing and not wanting to rehash too much from the first show early on and discourage uninformed viewers.

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-01-2012, 08:47 AM
My MAL account hasn't been updated in ages but take a gander if you want to see what I watch/like. (http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Aurus)

I'm mostly into the paranormal/supernatural/fantasy stuff. I tend to enjoy them a lot. I've seem many of the classics, but over the years have lost interest in anime. I have a Crunchyroll account and tend to watch stuff there, unless there is something I really want to see that is not there.

Oh, and subs for anything. I prefer original language for the most part. I can stand certain dubs, others make me want to cry.

Also, Sailor Moon remake Summer 2013: can I hear a smurf yes?

Edit: Natsume Yuujinchou series is the best mix of supernatural and slice-of-life ever. :D

Shauna
12-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Nastumeeeee~ All my feels

Also yes. Sailor Moon 2013. BRING IT ON.

NeoCracker
12-01-2012, 03:01 PM
By the end of the week I should have my Bluray of Hellsing Ultimate I-IV. Not this coming friday, but next, I order in the V-VII.

Ultima Shadow
12-01-2012, 04:34 PM
Anyone who hasn't watched Fate/Zero yet is doing it wrong. Just saying. :colbert:

Shauna
12-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Haha, F/Z. My favourite part was when Tohsaka Rin got a guest episode all to herself! I lied, that was the worst episode.

But gotta admit, I am too excite for Prisma Illya. It's gonna be so bad. :excited:

Ultima Shadow
12-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Haha, F/Z. My favourite part was when Tohsaka Rin got a guest episode all to herself! I lied, that was the worst episode.

I will admit it did have a few bad moments like that (that episode didn't even exist in the original F/Z Light Novel), but overall, I think it's one of the best animes in years. :p

Shauna
12-01-2012, 05:03 PM
I really enjoyed watching it, tbh. :p The only bad thing was after having seen Fate/Stay I knew how it was going to end, which took away all the tension from it. The inclusion of Rider as a character cemented it in one of the best things I had seen in a long time. He was amazing. xD

Ultima Shadow
12-01-2012, 06:04 PM
Yep, Alexander the Great is the man! <3

The only servant I was kinda disappointed with in F/Z was the Assassin(s). It's just that they don't really ever do anything of importance. :p Still better than the regular Assassin from FSN, but nowhere near "True Assassin" from HF.

NeoCracker
12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Yep, Alexander the Great is the man! <3

The only servant I was kinda disappointed with in F/Z was the Assassin(s). It's just that they don't really ever do anything of importance. :p Still better than the regular Assassin from FSN, but nowhere near "True Assassin" from HF.

Assassin was fucking boss you inbred hillbilly. :colbert:

Ultima Shadow
12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Assassin was smurfing boss you inbred hillbilly. :colbert:
True Assassin was smurfing boss. I never particularly liked the normal one. :colbert:

I don't exactly dislike him though. I just liked every other servant, including the F/Z ones, more. :p

Forsaken Lover
12-16-2012, 06:29 PM
*sees Inu hate*

I could defend it as I've done for years upon years now...but why bother. I know it's awesome.

Awesome anime's you want? There is only one choice.

Kyo Kara Maoh!
kyou kara maou- hateshinaku tooi sora ni full w japanese english lyrics - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S241XMxeW6c)

Why should you watch KKM? One name: Wolfram
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u56/shinmakoku/kyoukaramaou/wolfram/w01.jpg

Oh Wolf-chan, if only you were real... You'd never have to worry about me looking at another man.

And apart from him, it's just a really fun show. It's about demons and warring with humans and ancient forces of evil and it's just pretty epic in general.

Also forget what I said earlier.
I will defend Inuyasha because the OP needs to know the truth. I think he can handle it.

Inuyasha...

Is Awesome.

Kagome's Song - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn_vNgQx14w)

Just look.Just listen. Just feel. Inuyasha's score is one of the best I've ever heard in an anime and it perfectly accentuates the drama and romance. Inuyasha and Kagome are Love and I will watch the anime till I die to bask in that love.

sharkythesharkdogg
12-19-2012, 05:43 PM
I've watched a lot over the years, but my favorite will always be Akira.

It's polarizing,people love it or hate it. I love it. The art, the music, the plot, character design, vehicle design, everything. I'm sure the fact that it was the first anime I saw (outside of things like Sailor Moon, Ronin Warriors, etc.) doesn't hurt, but I feel it would still be my favorite if I saw it today for the first time.

I also enjoy most of Studio Ghibli's offerings. They're just quality.

As for other movies I enjoyed.

Grave of the Fireflies
Venus Wars
Wings of Honneamise
Ninja Scroll
Now and Then, Here and There
Ghost in the Shell

Some series I enjoyed:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Here is Greenwood
Ranma 1/2
Gun Smith Cats
Cowboy Bebop
Dominion Tank Police
New Dominion Tank Police

Some other random series and movies that are still fun, or stick in my mind for some reason.

Original Dirty Pair
Original Bubble Gum Crisis
eX-Driver (Just for the authentic cars :P)
Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.
Demon Hunter Yohko
Full Metal Panic
Super Atragon
MAPS
The Girl Who Lept Through Time
Voices of a Distant Star (really cool concept)
Project A-ko
AD Police
Angel Cop
Fist of the North Star
Grappler Baki (pretty gory)
Riding Bean (just because of it's ties to Gun Smith Cats)
Outlaw Star
Gasaraki
Macross (yeah, I said it)
Mobile Police Patlabor
Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water
Those Who Hunt Elves (it's actually better dubbed, because they just make their own lines)
Wicked City

Forsaken Lover
12-22-2012, 01:31 AM
Might I recommend Rosario + Vampire?

I could spend hours justifying this as possibly the greatest, most layered, most well-written and fascinating anime of all time...

But how does that old phrase go? A picture is worth a thousand words
http://i.imgur.com/zn42o.png

And a gif must be worth 10,000 words.
http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/433450/owie-yummy.gif

krissy
01-04-2013, 03:46 AM
hey otaku nerds

my lil bro wants to watch some anime

he is 11 ish

i want to watch a show with him, but i want it to be at his level and something without random unneccessary panty shots or tentacle rape scenes

we've pretty much watched all the miyazaki movies, and avatar and korra ("THAT'S NOT ANIME"). dunno what to watch. we did one piece a bit but he got bored with the early eps.

any suggestions for an 11 yr old kid?

Quindiana Jones
01-04-2013, 04:27 AM
Naruto. :stare:

NeoCracker
01-04-2013, 05:13 AM
Desert Punk. :smug:

Okay, serieous suggestions now.

Bleach is a pretty good one. It's got good action and a decent story that's easy to understand, and doesn't treat you like an idiot. It's got some pretty terrible pacing, but I don't think that will bother an 11 year old. :p

Law of Ueki is a pretty safe bet. It's fun, the fights are imaginative, and it keeps itself fairly fresh through out all it's 54 or so episodes. Theres a few head scratching moments, like the shows inability to due math, but on a whole it's enjoyable enough.

As far as movies, Origin is a pretty solid movie. It's overal style is similar to that of Miyazaki, though it's done by someone else. It's a bit preachier them Miyazaki, but pleasant enough regardless of that.

I'd suggest Cowbowy Bebop, while it's targeted a bit older then 11, it's an absolutely wonderful show, and there's plenty in it for a younger audience, as well as being an amazing show all around. I forget which episode, but if you have the DVD version one episode you see a guy looking at a porn mag, and you see boobs, so you may want to screen it for that episode, but it only happens once. :p

Forsaken Lover
01-04-2013, 06:05 AM
I counter Naruto and Bleach with Fairy Tail.

https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZNS_jf6mPo

To list all the unbelievably awesome songs in this show would take too long so just settle for the one above and these:
Awesome Anime Music 62: Erza&#39;s Theme - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWFUpKLzfIo)
Natsu Theme Song-Fairy Tail - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXLOVO2cMxo)
Fairy Tail Against Magic.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2PXA-c4Kug)

Natsu, the shounen hero of the series, is also a lot more likable than Naruto or Ichigo in my opinion.

Bleach, written and illustrated by Titty Kubo, is rightly given credit for some topnotch fanservice. He gave us both Nel and Yoruichi, two of the hottest goddesses ever to grace shounen.

And yet Fairy Tail utterly stomps Bleach in the fanservice department. There might be more rule 34 of Bleach than there is for Fairy Tail but that's only because FT doesn't need doujins or hentai. The manga and anime are basically softcore porn for both the gals and the guys. Every girl is a Solid 11 and most of the guys are 10s.

There's also something to be said for a shounen that knows its place. Both Naruto and Bleach tried a bit too hard to tell more "mature" storylines. FT is a lot more fun and simple and it works better that way.

And finally...Lucy = Best Female Lead of all of them.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg216/NikKingMan/FairyTAIL.gif

And she's got a great personality on top of that.

Shauna
01-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Right. I've ignored this for long enough.

Anime's. Not only the incorrect use of an apostrophe, but also pluralising the word anime? My inner nerd cries.

I am trying to think of animu you could show to a younger boy, and all I'm coming up with his high-school-girls-doing-crazy-things. I think I've got some wires crossed somewhere.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-04-2013, 12:32 PM
any suggestions for an 11 yr old kid?

If he's into cars, eX-Driver would be good for a younger viewer. You might be bored.

Full Metal Panic lots of mechs and military stuff, combined with a high school atmosphere. You might want to screen a few episodes first for language, but there's only one fan-service shot that comes to mind in the whole series.

Outlaw Star might be a really good choice too. Lot's of space pirates, ships, action, and things, but the language isn't too bad from what I recall. No rampant nudity sticks out either. I think it's pretty safe.

Shoeberto
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM

Pretty much this got me to stop caring about anime. The last interesting premise I remember seeing in a show was Death Note. Most everything else that came across was just weird or unoriginal and above all too fan-service-heavy. At this point I'm not sure I can make myself care anymore unless it's a really high-quality anime film.

Maybe I'm just being a fogey, but for me anime peaked with Bebop and nothing I've heard of has managed to reach that level of excellence.

Polnareff
01-05-2013, 01:20 AM
I must be the only one in the world who couldn't stand Cowboy Bebop. It's hard to explain why not. It felt like it was trying too hard but spread itself too thin, which is funny considering it was a short series.

I started watching anime with a bootleg DB tape. Not Z but the original DB, in Japanese. It was an episode from during the first tournament. Imagine my surprise when about 2 years later they started showing DBZ and the characters that I saw a couple years before were the same ones in DBZ, but older.

Of course, at first, I didn't know that anime was Japanese. It took me until I was about 9 years old to understand that Americans didn't make DBZ or Sailor Moon.

Here are a bunch of them that I liked:

Yu Yu Hakusho
Flame of Recca
Ranma 1/2
Silent Mobius
Tenchi Universe
No Need For Tenchi
Ganbare Goemon (I loved the Goemon games)
The Slayers
Rune Soldier Louie
Space Pirate Mito
Casshern (the original, where Casshern was badass, not the one where he's emo)
Gatchaman (also known as Battle of the Planets and G-Force)
Hunter X Hunter 2011
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 2012
Kirby: Right Back At Ya!
Black Heaven
Desert Punk
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka
Cromartie High School
Persona 4: The Animation
Inazuma Eleven
Sakigake! Otokojuku
Riki-Oh
Project A-ko
FLCL
Dragon Quest: Dai's Adventure
Grappler Baki, the movie and the actual series
Shootfighter Tekken (similar to Baki)
Slam Dunk
Midori Days
G Gundam
Mobile Suit Gundam 0079
Fairy Tail
Law of Ueki (manga was 100x better though)
Dirty Pair Flash Mission 1 and 2 (Mission 3 was lame to me)
Original Dirty Pair
Saint Seiya (I started re-watching this recently)
Shadow Skill
Zenki
Love Hina

That's not even scratching the surface. I find myself not liking most anime now because it's censored to hell and back. Every time something violent happens in Japan, the censorship gets worse. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter X Hunter find some cool ways to get crap past the radar without being crazy with it.

Forsaken Lover
01-05-2013, 01:24 AM
I also found Cowboy Bebop to be rather lackluster. I blame it on the episodic nature of the show. I prefer my anime to have a continuous storyline that keeps me hooked. With Bebop, practically each episode amounted to nothing because it would be forgotten by next episode.