PDA

View Full Version : FFV or FFV Advance?

Quindiana Jones
08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
If I were to able to obtain a copy of FFV through entirely legal means, which version should I go for? Original SNES, or GameBoy Advance? And why?

Thanks in advance. I hate to ask such a trivial question, but with my limited knowledge it's SNESessary.

Raistlin
08-28-2012, 09:32 PM
Worst attempt at a pun ever.

Would you actually play it on the SNES? Also, is there some reason you're not considering the PS1 version? I think it really just comes down to what system you want it for. I have not played the GBA version, but the remakes all have a good reputation.

Citizen Bleys
08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
The GBA version has bonus content, including jobs like Cannoneer that are not available in the SNES version. Also the graphics are ever-so-slightly better.

The main advantage to the SNES version is that you can play through tDJ's Spoof version that I'm using for FFV Revisited and see all of the jokes that didn't make the cut.

Alpha2099
08-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Also, is there some reason you're not considering the PS1 version?
The PS1 version has the worst load times in the history of gaming. If you thought it was bad in the PS1 copy of FF6, it's even worse in 5. And if you're planning on acquiring a legal SNES copy, you'd better know Japanese. Otherwise it's obvious you're using an emulator, which is *technically* illegal, not that that stops anyone from doing it.

Between the 3 versions, get GBA.

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
:shifty:

Wolf Kanno
08-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Emulation or GBA are the best options. The GBA version grants you four extra bonus jobs and a really cool bonus dungeon with the coolest optional boss of the GBA remakes but sadly, the GBA doesn't have a the best audio system so the music suffers a bit though I feel it's less noticeable than FFVIA. The GBA version also has a pretty top notch translation and localization.

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 11:15 AM
I can get the GBA version to work perfectly, but my god the sound is just too annoying. Plus, my SNES emulator has a better speed-up button. :D

Goldenboko
09-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Advance funnier dialogue.

Citizen Bleys
09-01-2012, 03:29 AM
Not funnier than Tzepish's spoof, which only works with the SNES version.

Hollycat
09-01-2012, 03:30 AM
GBA is the best version.

ReloadPsi
09-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Also, is there some reason you're not considering the PS1 version?
The PS1 version has the worst load times in the history of gaming. If you thought it was bad in the PS1 copy of FF6, it's even worse in 5. And if you're planning on acquiring a legal SNES copy, you'd better know Japanese. Otherwise it's obvious you're using an emulator, which is *technically* illegal, not that that stops anyone from doing it.

Between the 3 versions, get GBA.

You didn't play the PSX version of VI then. Its battle transitions were bloody murder.

Roogle
09-07-2012, 01:47 AM
Yes, he did. He said that its battle transitions are worse than Final Fantasy VI on the Playstation.

I would recommend the Final Fantasy V Advance version as it is the only official release aside from the Playstation version, which is abhorred for aforementioned reasons. I don't like the Gameboy Advance as hardware, but I think that the translation and the presentation of the game makes it worth it. There are a couple of new jobs on that particular version of the game, and at least one glitch that occurs in the port having to do with the fight with Gogo the Mimic. I don't think there are many notable glitches like the Gameboy Advance version of Final Fantasy IV.

KentaRawr!
01-04-2013, 03:33 AM
I can get the GBA version to work perfectly, but my god the sound is just too annoying. Plus, my SNES emulator has a better speed-up button. :D

There's a sound patch for the GBA version I'm using. It makes everything so much better!

Tonberry Time
01-09-2013, 09:37 PM
What do you know, I was just going to post a similar topic. Final Fantasy V and VI are the last on my list to complete FF-fulfillment, and I'm not sure how I should go about playing FFV. I could get the PS1 version for my Vita, but if the load times are as horrible as you say, I'm gonna pass on that one. Random encounters can get on your nerves in long dungeons, random encounters with bad load times I imagine would be much worse. Not to mention that it's priced similarly to the later games, which doesn't make sense.

This kinda forces me to play it through an emulator, since I'm not gonna hunt down a GBA version. The GBA version would be the obvious choice, considering it has extra content, but if I'm going to be playing this on my TV wouldn't the upscaled GBA version look inferior compared to the SNES version?

I could also wait and see if they make an improved version for the PSP/Vita, but that could take years. :mad:

Depression Moon
01-10-2013, 04:45 AM
FFV's sound didn't sound bad to me and I was on the GBA version. Listening to some tracks online The Castle of Dawn and Clash on the Big Bridge sound better in the advance version.

Jowy
01-12-2013, 12:58 AM
FFV Advance is the perfect SNES port from all three re-releases from a dialogue and sound standpoint. Plus the new job classes are fun!

Levian
01-12-2013, 01:15 AM
Gba, easily.