PDA

View Full Version : The Mandatory Games

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Since I'm going through the SNES era games - or at least trying to - I've been thinking about Final Fantasy games that everybody should play. The games that are so good that to call yourself a FF fan without having played them would cause your immediate exile.

Since we need order to control the fun, I'll limit this to five. List the five FFs that you think everybody should play and, if you have the time, your reasons. Since I haven't played all of them, I'll only be able to decide between the one's I have played.

Mine are, in chronological order:

1. FFIII
2. FFVI
3. FFVII
4. FFIX
5. FFXII

The reason for my choices (apart from them being my favourites) is that they provide an excellent overview of Final Fantasy styles. You've got Jobs, medieval settings, modern settings, ATB, character based story, world based story, the FFXII combat system (whatever it's called!), and Quina. I'm about to start V, which may replace III as the consensus here seems to be that it is ridiculously good.

Alrighty then! Your go.

Del Murder
08-29-2012, 12:48 AM
1. FFI - Started it all. Honestly, gtfo if you call yourself a FF fan and haven't at least attempted the game that started it all in one of its many verions.
2. FFIV - The first 'real good' FF game in my view. It introduced many aspects of the series (characterization, ATB) that would define it for years.
3. FFV - I could see the argument not to include V and instead include Tactics. You need to play at least one of these so you can see the true potential of the job system. But Tactics isn't on your poll so I went with FFV.
4. FFVI - The greatest video game ever and if you haven't played it then you are not a FF fan no matter what you say. Even if you hated it you cannot call yourself a fan of a series and not play its masterpiece.
5. FFVII - Mandatory FFVII inclusion. I don't think I even need to say why this should be there. Defined a generation, made RPGs mainstream, blah blah.
6. FFIX - Another one that is on the fence. FFIX is a great game and really returns to some of the charm of the 16 bit entries. It doesn't really do anything new or original but it's the definition of 'a FF for FF fans'.
7. FFX - I included FFX because it is important to also play one of the 'new school' FF games. FFX in many ways set the tone for the PS2 era and beyond. Perhaps in a bad way, but it was significant nonetheless.

Just saw above that you said limit it to 5. So obviously I would remove FFV and FFIX for my five:

1. FFI
2. FFIV
3. FFVI
4. FFVII
5. FFX

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 12:50 AM
My rule of 5 has apparently gone out the window then. xD

Del Murder
08-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I didn't see it at first but I edited my post to reflect it! I think it is good to limit it to five or else we'd just list all the games.

Also: inb4 Jesweeee's list of FFVIII, FFX, FFX-2, FFXIII, FFXIII-2

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 12:54 AM
Just saw above that you said limit it to 5. So obviously I would remove... FFIX for my five:

:onoes:

You can have six votes.

Raistlin
08-29-2012, 01:30 AM
This list is invalid because FFT is not on it. :colbert:

FFIII is a very curious choice. FFV and FFT both have far superior job systems. Mine would be:

1. FFI - The original
2. FFV - The first really good job class implementation. FFT would go here instead if it was on the list.
3. FFVI - A classic with arguably the best story
4. FFVII - Possibly the most significant entry in the series after the original, making FF mainstream
5. FFXII - I figured I should pick an FF from the newer generation, and FFXII is by far the best.

FFIV and IX warrant honorary mentions.

Jiro
08-29-2012, 01:44 AM
the FFXII combat system (whatever it's called!),

Active Dimension Battle.

I can't really limit these down. I know I should have played more of the series than I have and I would expect everyone else to as well. I could point out games which you might skip but honestly just play them all, there's something of value in all of the bloody things.

Quindiana Jones
08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
FFIII is a very curious choice. FFV and FFT both have far superior job systems.

Yeah, I'd heard that. That's why I want to play it so bad!

Mercen-X
08-29-2012, 06:19 PM
Dark Helmet: So the combination to the air shield is: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. What the hell kind of combination is that?
President Skroob: Change the combination on my luggage!

Laddy
08-31-2012, 11:05 AM
IV, VI, VII, IX, XII.

Tolkien. HG Wells. Philip K. Dick. The Brothers Grimm. Shakespeare.

Mercen-X
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
The reason I list the first five is because no one will both playing the first five if no one tells them. But then I forget that I/II have been rereleased via PSP and III and IV have been remade for DS which leaves V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX as officially the oldest titles.

Faris
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
This list is invalid because FFT is not on it. :colbert:

FFIX: It was my hook on the series and the one I've played through the most.
FFIV: Just recently played through this and it was quite the treat <3
FFVI & FFVII: You don't know FF if you haven't played either of these. Just about every fan base will tell you that these are the best.
FFV: *ahem* :colbert:

sabin101
09-01-2012, 06:31 PM
I will go with ff 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, and if I can go with another one I would say 10. Six and nine are my top favorites I am a old school rpg fan. I did like 7 and ten as well. I have gotten burned out with 4 right now. Played that game to death.

Wolf Kanno
09-02-2012, 06:46 AM
This is kind of tough, part of me wishes I could just lump the 16-bit entries together cause they did so much to establish the series as what the bulk of fans who arrived in the PS1 generation became accustomed to. With that said...

FFI - It's the first game in the series and has been remade so many damn times it's not like you have a real excuse not to have played it.

FFIV - One of the better known FFs and probably the most famous 16-bit entry worldwide. It really set the bar for story-telling in RPGs at the time and its the birth of ATB. Not to mention it's actually a pretty solid game.

FFV - Just so you can understand why Job Classes are a big deal and realize that no one else has ever done them as good as FF. It's the birth of both the modern ATB, and the most important evolution of the Job system. The game is also funny and has some damn good game design as well.

FFVI and FFVII - Obviously if you become an FF fan, you will eventually have to play these games. Partly because they are both easily the best representatives of why fans love the series and why FF actually gets respect in gaming, but mostly so us crusty old fans can find out which side of the never-ending debate of which is better you fall into.

If I could have added one more entry, I would have listed FFIX as being the embodiment of the series. If I could list two more it would have been FFIII and FFXII.