PDA

View Full Version : Moving Woes

Shauna
08-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Since I graduated, I can no longer afford to live in my super awesome flat in Glasgow. So I'm moving back home to live with the parents.

Saying goodbye to my flatmate was super sads, tidying the flat is horrible and I'm not looking forward to living miles away, back home, from all my friends and the sociability that came with living near uni. Also moving my stuff is bad. Too much stuff. xD
But, at the same time despite all the bad things, I'll be saving so much money I will become the richest woman. I can learn to drive with all the extra money - improve job prospects and can visit my (ex-)flatmate sometimes! Pros and cons all over.

Anyone else moved away from home recently? Or had to go back to living with the folks for whatever reason? Do you enjoy moving? :3

Sephex
08-29-2012, 07:28 PM
The only time I personally moved was to the apartment I currently live in, and I'll probably be moving in a year or two. I live close to my parents, so the moving wasn't a hassle at that time. That and I left a lot of stuff at my parent's house. When I move again, I know it is going to be a huge pain. I have acquired a lot more belongings within my time at my apartment, and I will probably move a lot further away.

Zeldy
08-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Over my last 2 years at University, I've lived in three different houses. The very very first move was the worst, consisting of about 3 car loads and I realised I had a problem. Year ended, packed up, cleaned house, had to take everything back home again. Moved to a new house for the second year, term ended, packed up and cleaned but attempted to squat in a friend's house for a month, so moved there. Then that had to end and I've returned home for about week, and come September I'm going to do the whole moving in process again for my very last year then who knows where I'll go!

So sick of packing :(

Shiny
08-29-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm considering moving, but to entirely different state, CALI. I've been actually seriously considering it for quite some time now. And now that I have a job and currently live with my dad (or sometimes at my friend's place in Manhattan), I can actually save up money to fund that move. I have to wait until my boyfriend graduates as he wants to move to Cali as well and so does my friend. They both graduate next year. I'm definitely not moving down there without at least one room mate who has some sort of money in savings.

Shorty
08-29-2012, 09:35 PM
Whoooo shiny! Join us join us join us!

Between December 2011 to June 2012, I moved three times. It fucking sucked.

Raistlin
08-30-2012, 03:19 AM
I've moved a few times in the last few years, which sucked. I do not even have that much stuff except for basic furniture, but it is still a pain in the ass.

Miss Lady Shelly
08-30-2012, 06:57 AM
I lived in a house from the time i was born till about the age of 12, after my parents got divorced i have been living with my dad since then (cant really afford to live on my own at the moment) and we have moved like 3 times or so.. (i really don't count jumping from apartment building to apartment building moving though). My mom on the other hand has moved about 7 times.

Bunny
08-30-2012, 07:01 AM
The process of moving is horrible, but overall I love it. I love seeing new places and starting certain aspects of my life over. It's kind of refreshing, especially since I have a tendency to burn bridges every few years.

I haven't lived with my parents, or family, since I was 17 (so about 9 years) and it is pretty nice being on my relative own (I've lived with my girlfriend for the last 4ish years).

Jiro
08-30-2012, 08:48 AM
I just have so much shit and furniture is heavy enough without having to get in the fucking Tetris zone to fit it through doors and then place it. I fucking hate moving. Had to move my shit too many times this year. Never moved house until this year, either.

Shlup
08-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Since moving out of my mother's house nine years ago, I've lived in four apartments. Three years ago we started renting BJ's grandparents' house, though, which has been nice because I was getting really sick of moving.

Miriel
08-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Moving back in with parents after having moved out is the worst. I did it for a few months after college and it felt like a failure to me. But I got out of there pretty quickly.

I love my parents, I really do, but I cannot live with them. Most of my friends still live with their parents, and we're all in our mid to late 20s. I think that's pretty weird.

I wouldn't mind moving about a lot more before I settle down and put down roots in one location. It's weird because I'm someone who loves familiarity and once I get accustomed to something (ie: local restaurants), I need them to stay exactly the same forever. But at the same time, I have huge wanderlust. I always have a desire to be traveling and exploring. I would love to live in maybe 4 other major cities before I get too old. Oh and one day I want to live out in the boonies. Like seriously off the grid and not talk to the anybody in the outside world for a few months, just to see if I could do it.

Christmas
08-30-2012, 12:25 PM
I am like a plant that stay fixed to my location. :bigsmile:

Freya
08-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I'm still with my parents but HOPEFULLY I can get into my new apartment this weekend. hopefully. Please. This has taken me like three weeks of messing with this nonsense.

Marshall Banana
08-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Necronopticous and I moved to a new apartment back in March. It was a pain, because it rained like mad on the day we moved (had to wrap up everything) -- and, also, a lot of things went wrong during the weeks prior -- but once it was over... =D

Now we live in breezy El Segundo, just minutes from where we work! Also, I'm so spoiled by the temps here that I don't think I could live any further from the ocean. XD

Psychotic
08-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm still at home because all of my jobs have been fixed term contracts, but now I am in a permanent role and hope to be out at the start of 2013 once my probationary period is done and dusted. I can't even comprehend moving! Oh god!

Also yeah if anyone gives you shit about living at home, I always find asking them how much they have in savings makes them stfu prettttty quickly. :cool:

Shorty
08-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Now we live in breezy El Segundo, just minutes from where we work! Also, I'm so spoiled by the temps here that I don't think I could live any further from the ocean. XD

You and me both, Monda!

Shauna
08-30-2012, 07:09 PM
Unpacking is the worst, oh god. :| Almost half way through dealing with all the stuff that I have.

Not looking forward to this all over again when I have some kind of stable income. xD

Pike
08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Moving is the absolute worst thing and I hate it. I should know. This is how many times I have moved:

1983: Born, lived in Oak Harbor, WA
1985: Moved to Lynnwood, WA
1994: Moved to Bothell, WA
1995: Moved to Helena, MT
1996: Moved to Manhattan, MT
1998...?: Moved to Bozeman, MT
2000: Moved to Belgrade, MT
2000: Moved to another house in Belgrade, MT
2001: Moved back to Bozeman, MT
2004: Moved to another house in Bozeman, MT
2008: Moved to my own apartment (Bozeman)
2010: Moved back home (Bozeman)
2010: Moved to Oak Harbor, WA
2011: Moved back to Bozeman

I HATE MOVING AND IT IS THE WORST THING

Also I am missing half of my belongings because things inevitably get lost in this process. Some of them are back from six or seven "moves" ago and I'm still looking for them and I have no idea where they are. It's terrible.

Madame Adequate
08-31-2012, 04:51 PM
Yep, moved back home after finishing my Master's, don't really have any particular problem with it although obviously I'd rather be living with Pike. But what can I do, I'm a mental, and even if I wasn't ahahahaha there are no jobs

Shorty
08-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Power to you guys who have moved back home at some point in your lives. Doing so would probably save me a shit ton of money and I've come close in a few circumstances, but I'm too prideful.

Clo
08-31-2012, 06:21 PM
I've moved so many times I'm having a hard time feeling attached to my current apartment. I tried gardening to try to build that feeling.

I've been evicted before, and that's a terrible feeling.

Jinx
09-01-2012, 03:22 AM
I'm probably moving out in December, and I'm totes excited. :)

Jiro
09-01-2012, 03:42 PM
I'mma live at home forever, or at least until I marry a rich girl and move into her house. Fuck you guys and your independence, I'm going to live the absolute epitome of a depressed, alcoholic journalist's life.

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2012, 06:43 PM
I still live at home for a variety of reasons.

And yeah, I totally feel like a failure.

krissy
09-01-2012, 07:44 PM
not only do i live with my parents

i use their cars

and they make me sandwiches for lunch sometimes :)

Parker
09-01-2012, 11:14 PM
i have to box shit up tomorrow to move on monday. im not taking too much stuff though.

i can't wait to leave, im excited, but i hate the actually moving of shit

Shiny
09-02-2012, 01:30 AM
:|
not only do i live with my parents

i use their cars

and they make me sandwiches for lunch sometimes :)
My dad cuts my meat for me sometimes and my sandwiches. :|

His grandma used to do it for him when he had to live at her home when he was my age. The cycle is repeating!

Goldenboko
09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Was on my friend's floor while we waited to be able to move into our new place. They wanted us out by midnight the day before we moved. We didn't leave of course and returned after getting the keys to the new place and saw our stuff being thrown out. Fuck moving.

Jiro
09-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Thrown out? Bastards.

Loony BoB
09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
I hate moving because it's just a hassle. But it is a neccessary one, most of the time. For me, excluding the moves when I was too young to recall, I have moved three times. Firstly between houses in Auckland, NZ. It was a move between suburbs which meant that I had to depart from many of my friends when I started high school the following year, which was a very awkward time of my life. I was very introverted and found it difficult making friends, but luckily after about a month of being a complete loner, I was 'adopted' by a group of pals when the school camp arrived in March and from that point on we all got along really easily. Beyond that, though, there was little I had to do, being so young.

The second move was my own decision and it was out of my family home (Dad's side) to flat with Mum in Scotland. I lived with her for a year or two as if we were flatmates (ie, split all costs down the middle, pay for what you use, etc) before she returned to NZ and at that point I took on the full rent of the flat. Danielle moved in eventually.

A year later came the third move. Th landlord told me that they were going to sell the flat so I naturally had to move out so they could do it up. It was rather impacting on my life (in a "oh God, my home is being taken away from me, bawwwwwwww" kind of way) at the time as I'd never had to go looking for a new place to live. I decided to buy a flat but they needed too large a deposit, so I found a scheme called HomeStake where you pay for something like 70% of the flat (using a 90+% mortgage) and then the rest is paid for you. You get the full ownership until the time of next sale, at which point you give the same percentage of the sale price back to the investor who paid for the remaining 30% or so when you took on the flat. If that makes sense! Either way, it was the first flat I technically owned on any level, so it's definitely "mine" in that way.

I really, really do look forward to moving again because I want a bigger place. Something with a kitchen big enough for a dishwasher and all the crap we have that doesn't fit in our cupboards, not to mention more space for Danielle's clothes and potentially a small gym. A place I can really feel is a home, you know? Although perhaps that won't happen until I move back to New Zealand. Every home over here is home, but not the home I want. It's not got my heart in it, it's too cramped for a heart this big. ;D