PDA

View Full Version : Its place in history

Mercen-X
08-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I've begun writing a fanfic placing the events of the VII Compilation somewhere around the second world war making ShinRa and SOLDIER part of the SS.

What part of history would you think best links to the original Final Fantasy?

Psychotic
09-01-2012, 08:08 AM
Stone age. The dawn of mankind.

Mercen-X
09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
LOL... you sir, are a booger fiend.

Roogle
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
It is hard to place because it is a fantasy world with anachronistic elements. One could say that it would be reminiscent of medieval Europe. The presence of Warmech, or Death Machine, would be a strong objection to that. Maybe it is a world in an Age of Darkness wherein the previous civilizations were much more advanced.

Mercen-X
09-06-2012, 03:44 AM
Would FF be pre or post Camelot?

Roogle
09-06-2012, 07:10 AM
I would say that they would be post-Camelot as they have ways of circumnavigating the world and reaching remote locations of their planet.

Jiro
09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
It could also be the subject of mythology in your continuity. After all, every culture has its own idea of how the world began and its great struggles, you know?

Jinx
09-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Laughing, because you're trying to timeline a fictional universe, and using another fictional story as that basis.

Jiro
09-07-2012, 04:10 AM
Seems like a pretty cool concept to me. :confused:

Raistlin
09-07-2012, 05:16 AM
FFI is definitely medieval-style era. Even with the occasional technology, just the vibe of the game feels medieval fantasy.

Mercen-X
09-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Odd that FF hasn't tried very hard to touch on source mythology. Sure they hint at it with summons, but they've never made a FF I'm aware of that tries its hand at being the origin of such mythologies.

Rant done. I like the idea of FFI being a mythology source.

Wolf Kanno
09-08-2012, 09:21 PM
I honestly would be more gutsy and make FFI After the End (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AfterTheEnd) since the game's world strongly suggests this is the case.

Though I personally never liked the idea of all the FF games being directly connected. At best they all exist in the same Omniverse in parallel dimensions but none of them are really connected, Word of God be damned.

Jinx
09-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Though I personally never liked the idea of all the FF games being directly connected. At best they all exist in the same Omniverse in parallel dimensions but none of them are really connected, Word of God be damned.

EXCEPT FFX/X-2 AND VII ;D ;D ;D

Raistlin
09-08-2012, 10:20 PM
I honestly would be more gutsy and make FFI After the End (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AfterTheEnd) since the game's world strongly suggests this is the case.

I still get that medieval, classic knights and villains feelings from the game. Unlike FFT, for example, which is also a medieval-style setting but I really believe it's post-apocalyptic (of course, it's more than just suggested in that game, too).

Mercen-X
09-09-2012, 03:34 AM
I like that too. It's unfortunate that the idea I perceive has been done in XIII already, but still, let me get it out. Since FF starts out with the Warrior of Light arriving from "elsewhere" and the game ends with the Warrior further into the past to defeat Chaos and end what would have been a temporal paradox.

If we were to look at this like Doomsday where the safest and most civil way to live after the loss of most of the world's technology (and the rise of monstrous fiends) was to go back to medieval ways, this could be a plausible look. Though since we haven't reached that point in time, we'd have to rely on the film to dictate the plot.

Wolf Kanno
09-09-2012, 05:35 AM

EXCEPT FFX/X-2 AND VII ;D ;D ;D

Word of God be damned.

Word of God be damned.

:stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: :stare: